The 2013/2014 NBA Thread (LBJ is a Cav)

It did but there wasn't any reason to make the switch. Riley wanted to coach again cause the team was good and Stan Van Gundy "resigned". lol

Last edited by a moderator:
It did but there wasn't any reason to make the switch. Riley wanted to coach again cause the team was good and Stan Van Gundy "resigned". lol
Shaq was instrumental in getting the coaching change to happen.

At this point I don't think the Mavs are making the playoffs. I am hoping that if they don't that they get some super lucky ping pong balls like the Bulls did when they landed D-Rose.

I don't think anyone in the East should get a super good pick. The tanking teams deserve to be punished somehow, especially Philly.

846773440.gif

Someone been studying the "Bynum 3"

And just like that we go from 9th to 7th in the West. This 3 horse race at the bottom of the West has been really crazy these past couple weeks. I can blame the goaltend that wasn't called at the end of the Warriors game, which the league acknowledged, (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/02/league-acknowledges-jermaine-oneal-did-goaltend-monta-ellis-shot-in-overtime/) but truth is when you have an 8 game home stand this late in the season and only go 4-4, you're playing with fire in this conference.

Gonna be a dogfight of a finish. We have a home game vs the Suns and road game vs Grizzlies so we're in control of our destiny with games versus the other 2 contenders. Sucks that 1 of these teams will miss the playoffs with a record that would be 3rd in the East. Seriously hating the conference system right now.

Clippers choking hard and the Mavs are trying their hardest to outchoke the Clippers. I hope Dallas misses the playoffs at this point, to me they don't deserve it. Literally a 11 point lead with 2 mins to go and had it cut down to 2 in what seemed like 40 fucking seconds.

Clippers choking hard and the Mavs are trying their hardest to outchoke the Clippers. I hope Dallas misses the playoffs at this point, to me they don't deserve it. Literally a 11 point lead with 2 mins to go and had it cut down to 2 in what seemed like 40 fucking seconds.
It was actually a 12 point lead with 3 minutes to go. 109-97. By the time it hit 2 mins they were already back in it. They caught up quick! Carlisle was burning through those final timeouts so fast. Devin Harris almost gave me a heart attack on his own. That was a scary finish...

The Nets have looked pretty damn good since the start of 2014 they look like they could beat anybody in the East barring the usual ref assist.

Brooklyn defeats Miami for 5th time this season, 3 season games, 2 preseason. Boooooom Shaka Laka!
Make that 6 times! Lebron blocked at the buzzer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NRJHmxj86DM

Do the Lakers practice defense at all? They just gave up 145, the most any team has scored this season, and the most any team has scored in a non-overtime game in the last 4 years.

No other team has given up 140 or more points in a game this season except the Lakers. And they've done it 3 times now.

The Rockets scored 80 points in the paint tonight. EIGHTY! All without Dwight too.

Lakers have also tied their franchise record for most losses in a season. And that record was before they were even in LA.

I guess the point I'm really trying to make is, am I the only one getting a warm fuzzy feeling from all this? I believe it's called joy :D

Do people try to pretend like they don't whose been coaching the Lakers for the past 2 years. Defense? don't talk about Defense? you kidding me? Defense? I just hope we shoot more 3's

No other team has given up 140 or more points in a game this season except the Lakers. And they've done it 3 times now.

The Rockets scored 80 points in the paint tonight. EIGHTY! All without Dwight too.
These two stats are eyebrow raisers. Good stuff.

Do people try to pretend like they don't whose been coaching the Lakers for the past 2 years. Defense? don't talk about Defense? you kidding me? Defense? I just hope we shoot more 3's
You're a Laker fan!? I didn't know that tbh.

That last bit was supposed to be a antoni parody version of the famous Jim Mora playoffs speech. Now that i think about it, if you replace practice with defense in the Allen Iverson speech it would fit perfectly when it comes to antoni.

Don't know where in the world the John Calipari becoming the next Laker coach rumors are coming from but its all over the place.

Also Dirk and Nash both made history in the same night, congrats.

That last bit was supposed to be a antoni parody version of the famous Jim Mora playoffs speech. Now that i think about it, if you replace practice with defense in the Allen Iverson speech it would fit perfectly when it comes to antoni.

Don't know where in the world the John Calipari becoming the next Laker coach rumors are coming from but its all over the place.

Also Dirk and Nash both made history in the same night, congrats.
Rex Chapman (ex Kentucky and nba player) tweeted that it was a "done deal." But either he is full of shit or backtracking on his statement because he was making no sense when he was on the DP show earlier on Wednesday.

"I treat Twitter like I'm talking to my friends,” he told the Dan Patrick Show, as if that was an acceptable answer for starting the rumor of all rumors. "I'm not a journalist. Never pretend to be. I interact with people. I'm not gonna, not gonna refrain from giving information that I hear just because it might upset some people."

“I said the word is that it was a done deal. That's exactly what I said."

Chapman said his information came from two "very good sources," which is a curious characterization after both parties have denied the rumors.

Patrick asked him, specifically, if he believed the rumors, to which Chapman couldn't even muster a straight answer.

This entire episode comes off as disingenuous, and unless Calipari flips the script and winds up in “La La Land,” as Chapman put it, I'd suggest he crack open a big bottle of Kentucky bourbon to split with Rob Lowe. "

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24518808/rex-chapman-on-calipari-rumors-im-not-a-journalist

This playoff race in the West is getting intense. Dallas finally creates space last night and then Phoenix and Memphis win tonight to close the gap. All 3 teams playing well but one is going to be the odd man out.

That's probably the most intense of the playoff races but this is a finish loaded with interesting finishes. Obviously, the IND/MIA race for the 1 seed tops the East races but just as important is the WAS/CHA (tied at 40-38) race for the 6 seed because loser of that race is taking on one of the top two. The winner of that race gets the TOR/CHI (tied at 46-32) winner of the 3 seed which is a major upgrade in terms of chances at an upset.

Gonna be a fun finish.

This playoff race in the West is getting intense. Dallas finally creates space last night and then Phoenix and Memphis win tonight to close the gap. All 3 teams playing well but one is going to be the odd man out.
Dallas secured a spot in the playoffs last night and it's looking like Phoenix isn't going to make it. They need to win their last two games (one of which is against Memphis) AND Memphis has to lose another game on top of that (to either LA or Dallas).

That Suns/Grizzles should be a good game tomorrow.

Dallas secured a spot in the playoffs last night and it's looking like Phoenix isn't going to make it. They need to win their last two games (one of which is against Memphis) AND Memphis has to lose another game on top of that (to either LA or Dallas).

That Suns/Grizzles should be a good game tomorrow.
That game was intense last night. I treated the end of the season as a playoff series! We advance to the 2nd round in my book lol a matchup vs the Thunder. We won the reg season series with them so it should be fun. Of course the seed is not set in stone. I'd gladly take LA over OKC in round 1 but that'd require a lot of help from Golden State. 8th seed is a more likely result than 6th.

fucking sad that only Memphis or phoenix get in and not both. Sigh Dallas makes the playoffs what a waste IMO.

Also:
Bk_RVtfCcAAUFom.jpg

Memphis won tonight and Golden State lost an absolute thriller to keep the Mavs and Grizzlies shot at the 6th seed alive.

Interesting fact: Steph Curry (after dropping 47 tonight) has scored at least 40 points six times now in his career. All of them have been in road games.

The whole Memphis organization should be scolded for letting Lionel Hollins go. They would've clinched a long time ago if he was still there.

Also, hilarious how Pimp Limp was talking about the Lakers' lack of defense, and then the Rockets let Brewer drop 51 on them and lose to the Timberwolves playing without Love, Martin, and Pekovic.

The whole Memphis organization should be scolded for letting Lionel Hollins go. They would've clinched a long time ago if he was still there.

Also, hilarious how Pimp Limp was talking about the Lakers' lack of defense, and then the Rockets let Brewer drop 51 on them and lose to the Timberwolves playing without Love, Martin, and Pekovic.
You fail to mention is that the Rockets were playing without Beverley or Howard either, their two best defensive players. And Brewer was hitting ridiculous shots all night. Shit happens. Terrence Ross put up 51 points earlier this year against the Clippers.

What's really hilarious is you even trying to come close to comparing the Rockets defense to the Lakers. I guess you failed to see all the other stats in that post. Want another one? Houston ranks 12th in defensive efficiency. The Lakers? 28th.

Hardens defense as well as the Rockets outside of Dwight in general has always been melo esque so im not that shocked about the brewer career high.

You fail to mention is that the Rockets were playing without Beverley or Howard either, their two best defensive players. And Brewer was hitting ridiculous shots all night. Shit happens. Terrence Ross put up 51 points earlier this year against the Clippers.

What's really hilarious is you even trying to come close to comparing the Rockets defense to the Lakers. I guess you failed to see all the other stats in that post. Want another one? Houston ranks 12th in defensive efficiency. The Lakers? 28th.
You're right. The only similarity between the Lakers and Rockets is that neither team will be playing past the second round of the playoffs.

You're right. The only similarity between the Lakers and Rockets is that neither team will be playing past the second round of the playoffs.
Well that would imply that the Lakers are even making the FIRST round. Instead they get to watch the playoffs at home. Nice try though.

But I'll flatter you. Say the Rockets do make a second round exit. Who the fuck wouldn't take that over being not only one of the worst teams in the NBA this season, but one of the worst in franchise history?

If Marc Gasol stayed healthy also, they'd have clinched awhile ago as well. He came back earlier in the season and they started playing big boy basketball. I like them in this role though as I feel they have a decent shot (better than the Mavs or Suns anyways) at pulling the upset over SA. Yeah, SA swept the reg season series but the Gasol Randolph duo when healthy is nothing to mess with in a 7 game series. Popovich learned that the hard way.

I wouldn't go that far. Houston has defeated San Antonio in all their matchups up to this point, and that includes two victories in the AT&T Center. I like their chances to get to the conference finals if they meet SA in the 2nd round. That first round series vs POR is going to be fun and will not be an easy affair. Man I love the West.

While that was a big time sweep, (idk if you did but if you watched any of the series you'd know) outside of Game 1, each of those games were up for grabs. If Memphis won Game 2, that's a whole different series. Popovich isn't going to be chilling on the bench because of last year's result.

The irony about that series is it seem when Memphis needed scoring the most they didn't have it but traded away the person that maybe could have gave them the scoring they needed cause prince wasn't cutting it.

Rudy provided offense, but inefficient offense. Kinda like Melo or Jennings when he was in MKE. That doesn't work against a team like SA.
I live in Memphis and most believe we have a fighting chance against OKC. We have more shooting and athleticism than ever. That said, we want to avoid SA like the plague. Win out and we can get the 7th seed. Hell, if GSW lose the rest of their games we can get 6th! But IMO clippers are scarier than OKC. Blake ain't a bitch no more, easily top 5 for MVP this year

That said, we want to avoid SA like the plague. Win out and we can get the 7th seed. Hell, if GSW lose the rest of their games we can get 6th!
This part applies to Mavs fans as well. Our only game left if you guys though...should be interesting! You guys have to knock out PHO tonight though.

Rockets just swept the Spurs 4-0 this season and guaranteed home court in the first round at the same time. I couldn't ask for a better way to end the season.

So the Spurs are facing potential second round vs HOU and conference finals vs OKC. Both teams swept them in the regular season.
They also happen to be the only two teams to sweep a 60+ win team in the regular season in the last 25 years.

Even though the Spurs have swept the Grizzlies this season, I'm really pulling for Memphis in the Grizzlies/Suns game tonight to lock in the 8th seed. Memphis can grind and wear the Spurs out with their physical play, even if the Spurs manage to win in the first round. This would hopefully leave them nice and vulnerable for the Rockets in the second round Then again, the Suns might be able to wear the Spurs out too with their fast pace.

All I can guarantee is, Western Conference playoffs this year are going to be insane!

All I can guarantee is, Western Conference playoffs this year are going to be insane!
The Grizz secured the last spot in the West and Golden State secured the 6 seed by beating MIN tonight. Only thing not set in stone out West is the Mavs Grizz battle for 7th. Tune in Wednesday folks!

It's embarrassing that the league allows Atlanta to get in the playoffs at anywhere from 6-8 games below .500 while Phoenix does not see the postseason with a record that'll either be 12-14 games over .500. A record that would be 5th right now with a chance at home court in the East. It's time for this conference system to go.

The Bucks were sold for $550 million, and it seems like they're going to stay in Milwaukee with $200 million already committed to a new arena.

In other news, for some reason the Knicks have signed Lamar Odom for the rest of the season. Terms for the deal haven't been released yet. Doesn't really make sense unless it's a multi-year deal though.

And finally, today is the last day of the regular NBA season.

bread's done
Back