The Admiral's NFL Suicide Pool - Congratulations Raiden_86 - King of The 2012 Pool!

[quote name='Fire2box']fromy my counting at least 34 people have picked The Pats for week 2. You do all realize the more you all pick the same teams the longer this whole thing drags out, right?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll take New England this week, Admiral.

[quote name='Fire2box']fromy my counting at least 34 people have picked The Pats for week 2. You do all realize the more you all pick the same teams the longer this whole thing drags out, right?[/QUOTE]

Then by all means pick someone else... The Pats are pretty much the only team that is a (nearly) sure thing this week.

[quote name='mvp828']Then by all means pick someone else... The Pats are pretty much the only team that is a (nearly) sure thing this week.[/QUOTE]

I was amused by his comment as well. If the Rams beat the Redskins (his pick), and the Patriots win, I'll be even further amused. If, however, the Patriots lose *and* the Redskins win...well, I guess I'll have to be doffing my cap to the man.

I severely doubt that my hat's coming off any time soon.

Week 2: Bengals

Ah oh no, why is the deadline so far before the game? Well my pick is in before this weeks games, but not before 6! So worst comes to worst use my bye, but preferably accept my pick (can we make a deadline closer to the start of games, or is there a reason to have it a few hrs in advance?)!

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']When are my picks due?

There's always confusion on this point so let me reiterate. I run a soft closing. In other words, I may say the pool will close after 8PM on a Saturday, but I might not actually lock it down until I sit down at my computer and look over the latest posts. Which might not be until 10PM or maybe 8AM the next morning. I do this because I can't be at my computer 24/7. And there's always someone who's late or forgets.

I will explicity post, sometime after 8PM on the closing date, that the pool is closed for the week. That post will not happen before the posted time. Make sure your picks are in before the closing time to ensure your picks count!
[/QUOTE]

For all of the new folks, or people that missed the rules in the OP.

[quote name='mvp828']Then by all means pick someone else... The Pats are pretty much the only team that is a (nearly) sure thing this week.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the eagles vs browns were a pretty sure thing too in week 1 and was incredibly close. Anyways I did pick another team, I'm not taking the pats this early.

But yeah half of everyone keep picking the same team as each other and when the upset finally happens you can all be out, especially when your picking the most popular teams. Have fun in week 10 when you get to pick the B level teams if the big group gets that far. :D

::note:: I'm not saying the pats are going to lose, I got confidence they will actually win. Arizona since they are in the same division as the 49ers already know they won't see post season. All i'm getting at is people shouldn't feel a need to bunch up and should make their own choices, not follow the herd. That and your exhausting the "great" to "good" teams early on.

Picks are posted.

I have not yet had a chance to look them over. Check your picks because with around 200 I'm sure I messed some up.

Please remember to post new picks, not edit old picks.

Also, it makes it easier if, when posting all your picks, to do it top to bottom for uniformity.

Week 1
Week2
Week3
etc.

Thank you.

I figure the Skins will be looking good this week. RGIII should be hot against a pretty weak Rams team. Gotta figure in a couple weeks RGIII's numbers will go down once teams start getting film on him. Plus, I'm pretty sure the Skins aren't going to be favorites much this year, so I'll get them out of the way. Let's hope. (-:

[quote name='Taren Fox']I figure the Skins will be looking good this week. RGIII should be hot against a pretty weak Rams team. Gotta figure in a couple weeks RGIII's numbers will go down once teams start getting film on him. Plus, I'm pretty sure the Skins aren't going to be favorites much this year, so I'll get them out of the way. Let's hope. (-:[/QUOTE]

I don't know. That pretty weak Rams team gave the Lions a fight and lost the game at the end. I'm not sold on RGIII having a guaranteed hot game in back to back weeks.

Looks like I'm all alone in having picked the Bills this week. Hoping for the best lol

[quote name='Taren Fox']I figure the Skins will be looking good this week. RGIII should be hot against a pretty weak Rams team. Gotta figure in a couple weeks RGIII's numbers will go down once teams start getting film on him. Plus, I'm pretty sure the Skins aren't going to be favorites much this year, so I'll get them out of the way. Let's hope. (-:[/QUOTE]

That was my thoughts early this week after Monday's games. however the Rams franchise decided to buff their defense rather then add any new offense. However it takes defense and offense to win a game.

Also I made this pick as a Rams fan. They are the team that got me into football back in 2000 with that superbowl sadly they aren't nearly that good anymore and haven't been for years.

[quote name='nypickle']I don't know. That pretty weak Rams team gave the Lions a fight and lost the game at the end. I'm not sold on RGIII having a guaranteed hot game in back to back weeks.

Looks like I'm all alone in having picked the Bills this week. Hoping for the best lol[/QUOTE]

RG3 is looking to prove thinkers like you wrong, he and the whole team want to prove they aren't a fluke and aren't to be written off as easy wins finally.

Anyways you picked a game where they both got HIGH points and a team going against a team with TWO different starting level QB's? I do like your attitude and at least slight confidence though, I hope the bills do win but I think the jets have a slight edge. ::edit:: for a second I thought the bills were playing vs the Jets, ot KC @ bills. Still not a game I would dare to call though I don't know much about either team other then matt from KC and McCluster also on KC.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Taren Fox']The Rams allowed 355 yards passing to Matt Stafford. We'll see. If feel cautiously confident.[/QUOTE]

well we're in the same boat anyways as we both picked Redskins, which is a fair pick. I didn't think Stafford threw for 355 yards since he didn't get me many points in my 2nd fantasy team. He was the last good QB to be picked up as I got last pick in the draft in that league.

I'm not sold on RGIII either. The saints defense have been terrible the past few years which didn't even include vilma in the game making it even more horrible. Let's not forget they don't even have a head coach atm.

[quote name='Fire2box']Yeah the eagles vs browns were a pretty sure thing too in week 1 and was incredibly close. Anyways I did pick another team, I'm not taking the pats this early.

But yeah half of everyone keep picking the same team as each other and when the upset finally happens you can all be out, especially when your picking the most popular teams. Have fun in week 10 when you get to pick the B level teams if the big group gets that far. :D

::note:: I'm not saying the pats are going to lose, I got confidence they will actually win. Arizona since they are in the same division as the 49ers already know they won't see post season. All i'm getting at is people shouldn't feel a need to bunch up and should make their own choices, not follow the herd. That and your exhausting the "great" to "good" teams early on.[/QUOTE]

First off, most people should have known that Philly and Cleveland was a possible upset. Philly is consistent in having rough starts to the season for the past 5 years now. As for Cleveland, you know they aren't going to win, but will put up a fight like they always do against the teams that many consider to be rivals (Philly, Pitt, Cincy, and Baltimore).

Second, how is picking a good team now really going to hurt you if you don't even see Week 10 because you pick some "B level team" early in the game. I've done these Survivor Pools for about 12 years now and I used to think the same way... Save the best for last. But you gotta keep in mind that come week 15, 16, and 17. Those "top" teams usually have a playoff berth and are checking out early to prevent injuries. Then you get to decide between those four "B level teams" who are all battling it out for a Wild Card, Division Title, or a bye.

[quote name='nypickle']I don't know. That pretty weak Rams team gave the Lions a fight and lost the game at the end. I'm not sold on RGIII having a guaranteed hot game in back to back weeks.[/QUOTE]

I think you are giving the Lions too much credit. You have to remember the Lions like to give all of us Lions fans aneurysms and fits of rage every week by getting in a massive hole and then deciding to show up after half and act like they aren't down by 20+ points. I mean if Week 1 wasn't a reminder of the 20 point deficit to the Vikings, 24 to Dallas, 17 to Carolina, and of course the 27 points to Oakland from last year I don't know what is.

Not to mention Rams definitely had a good idea of what to expect since Fisher's son was a Lions assistant before heading to St. Louis to join his dad. Add that into the fact that Jeff Fisher was the mentor for Schwartz and was regularly around the Lions organization and practices after leaving Tennessee, and it gives you a better idea of why St. Louis did look so good. They had a good plan on D and made it work. They definitely will give a few headaches this year.

[quote name='Fire2box']I didn't think Stafford threw for 355 yards since he didn't get me many points in my 2nd fantasy team. He was the last good QB to be picked up as I got last pick in the draft in that league.[/QUOTE]

He didn't have a lot of points in most leagues because he had 3 picks and only one TD.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar'] Also, it makes it easier if, when posting all your picks, to do it top to bottom for uniformity.

Week 1
Week2
Week3
etc.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]Admiral, do you prefer to have people post their past picks along with the current week's pick? I've always just posted my current pick each week, but I'll start listing all of my picks the way you have it above if you'd rather we post that way.

I don't care if they post just the current week or their whole contest. But if half the players post top to bottom, and the other half post bottom to top, I'm going to mess up one of the two when I glance at the posts.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Like most Sundays, I'll definitely be hoping that New England loses.[/QUOTE]

This is part of my day's whenever pat's play a game. The only thing I dislike more then the Pats, tom brady and head coach Bill is Micheal Vick. But he's just one part of a team rather then a whole franchise built upon being smug. Can't wait to see the pat's franchise crash and burn within the next 5-8 years.

[quote name='mvp828']First off, most people should have known that Philly and Cleveland was a possible upset. Philly is consistent in having rough starts to the season for the past 5 years now. As for Cleveland, you know they aren't going to win, but will put up a fight like they always do against the teams that many consider to be rivals (Philly, Pitt, Cincy, and Baltimore).

Second, how is picking a good team now really going to hurt you if you don't even see Week 10 because you pick some "B level team" early in the game. I've done these Survivor Pools for about 12 years now and I used to think the same way... Save the best for last. But you gotta keep in mind that come week 15, 16, and 17. Those "top" teams usually have a playoff berth and are checking out early to prevent injuries. Then you get to decide between those four "B level teams" who are all battling it out for a Wild Card, Division Title, or a bye.
[/QUOTE]

im not trying or going to save teams like the pats, green bay or 49ers for week 14 15 and 16. i'm just saving them for the foreseeable "hard" weeks and until then I'll pick the low-mid range teams. In week 1 i wasn't expecting chargers to do a blowout of the raiders i thought it was going to be a rather close game. But the raiders fell apart as they always do when in a game that matters.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Like most Sundays, I'll definitely be hoping that New England loses.[/QUOTE]

Believe me, if I get knocked out because they lose I won't be too upset.

Fire2box, good luck getting to the later rounds. I'm of the opinion you should just pick whatever you think is the highest probability game, regardless of how many other people pick it. The herd will separate itself out later.

Anyone tally up the numbers on each team this week yet?

[quote name='keithp']Believe me, if I get knocked out because they lose I won't be too upset.

Fire2box, good luck getting to the later rounds. I'm of the opinion you should just pick whatever you think is the highest probability game, regardless of how many other people pick it. The herd will separate itself out later.

Anyone tally up the numbers on each team this week yet?[/QUOTE]

New Orleans - 4 picks
Texans - 20 picks
Pats - 63
Cincy - 17
Skins - 11
Giants - 13
Ravens - 2
49ers - 4
Raiders - 7
Bears - 1
Packers - 2
Vikings - 2
Boys - 8
Chargers - 2
Denver - 1
Bills - 1

Byes - 34

May have missed a few, but that's the majority.

So 1 is out so far and 2 advanced. I don't see the Pats losing, but I didn't pick them to save them. Two years ago, Skelton knocked me out, last year, he almost did again, but everyone lost that week. I couldn't take the chance on him starting and making it three years in a row.

Of the most picked teams, the two potential upsets I see are the Giants and the Redskins. The Giants have been mediocre at home the past few seasons, and Tampa's defense looked good last week, and the Giants secondary is pretty beat up. For the Redskins, I think the more tape people have of RG3, the less effective he will be (like Cam Newton last season). Of course, I picked the Bengals this week, and I'm not too confident in them either.

[quote name='mvp828']New Orleans - 4 picks
Texans - 20 picks
Pats - 63
Cincy - 17
Skins - 11
Giants - 13
Ravens - 2
49ers - 4
Raiders - 7
Bears - 1
Packers - 2
Vikings - 2
Boys - 8
Chargers - 2
Denver - 1
Bills - 1

Byes - 34

May have missed a few, but that's the majority.[/QUOTE]

Damn, not gunna lie, i hope the pats lose this week! :cool:

If everyone but the Texans lost I guess I would be OK with that. What? Impossible you say? No, draws are a loss so lets hope for a ton of draws this week :rofl:

[quote name='The 7th Number']Damn, not gunna lie, i hope the pats lose this week! :cool:[/QUOTE]

Even though I picked them, I wouldn't complain. I can't stand Tom Brady and the rest of that damn team.

7 people picked the Raiders?...Damn don't know about that one, that's a very risky pick IMHO. Miami is bad right now but the Raiders have been the one team Miami hasn't had much trouble with the last 2 years (Dec. 4, 2011: Dolphins 34, Raiders 14; November 28, 2010: Dolphins 33, Raiders 17).and with the short week + cross country travel + 1pm Miami weather....the Raiders have their work cut out for them...(had the game been in Oakland then the Raiders pick would be slightly safer...but given the circumstances...) ...good luck

I find it interesting how this week there is hardly any head-to-head competition in the pool. Only 2 games where we will have (and have already had) someone guaranteed to get knocked out.

(number of players who picked team in brackets)

Chicago (1) at Green Bay (2)
Kansas City (2) at Buffalo (1)

Cleveland (0) at Cincinnati (18)
Minnesota (2) at Indianapolis (0)
New Orleans (4) at Carolina (0)
Houston (18) at Jacksonville (0)
Oakland (7) at Miami (0)
Arizona (0) at New England (63)
Tampa Bay (0) at NY Giants (13)
Baltimore (2) at Philadelphia (0)
Washington (11) at St. Louis (0)
Dallas (8) at Seattle (0)
NY Jets (0) at Pittsburgh (0)
Tennessee (0) at San Diego (2)
Detroit (0) at San Francisco (4)
Denver (1) at Atlanta (0)

BYE (8 picked / 25 forced)

The thing I find interesting is that Jets at Steelers is the only game this week where no one selected either team. I went with New England because it seemed to me like the only slam dunk choice this week (Well, I think Houston is also very safe, but I took them last week) I thought about the Bengals, but facing a divisional opponent on a short week made me nervous about them. They barely squeaked by the Brownies at home last year, 23-20.

By the way, I live in Massachusetts, but I'm another Patriots hater. It's going to feel weird rooting for them to win this week. :)

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']If everyone but the Texans lost I guess I would be OK with that. What? Impossible you say? No, draws are a loss so lets hope for a ton of draws this week :rofl:[/QUOTE]

It's very unlikely to the point of near impossibility given how good kickers in the NFL are these days.

[quote name='Danimal']The thing I find interesting is that Jets at Steelers is the only game this week where no one selected either team. I went with New England because it seemed to me like the only slam dunk choice this week (Well, I think Houston is also very safe, but I took them last week) I thought about the Bengals, but facing a divisional opponent on a short week made me nervous about them. They barely squeaked by the Brownies at home last year, 23-20.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I'd ever pick Houston or Jacksonville when they are up against each other. In the past three years 4 of the games have been within 7 points, one within 10, and then the last was a bigger loss at 17 (Week 17 of 2010). It doesn't matter who is good, they always play each other tough.

I wasn't aware only two people picked the Pack Attack this week. Didn't they already play and win on Thursday? Surprised...but I guess since half the pool picked them last week it kinda makes sense.

Week 1 - 50% pick the Packers

Week 2 - Same 50% pick the Patriots

Week 3 - 50% of pool is eliminated.

:rofl:

Tom Brady just got intercepted and the Cardinals are up 3-0

EVERYONE PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

[quote name='xcefkevin']Tom Brady just got intercepted and the Cardinals are up 3-0

EVERYONE PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)[/QUOTE]

6 to 3. cardinals winning and Araon Hernadez TE for NE is out, AFIK.

But the cards need to step up on offense.

edit: 9-6 now. NE leads. they kicked a 51 yard FG.

Brady has 75 yards, 1 INT, no TD. game's back on!
---------------------
Giants are losing apparently. 10 to 6.

PLZ Lose teh Ghey-triotz :D

Man Philly haz been playing brutal, 3 deep red zone scoring chances all 3x turnovers. They are super lucky to be down just 7 at teh half. Wow 5 turnovers last week now already 3. Ugly football

lolz Almost made a sports bet for the Cardz with teh pointz, chicken cuz cardz r so bad. :lol: Lmaoz wont be surprised if NE blew them out 2nd half doe and covered +14 or whut ever [+13 etc etc].

Houston pickerz looking like smooth sailing onto next week. And lone Buffalo picker lol

Next week we will haz ultimate eliminatorz of forgetful picking playerz, dey use bye thiz weekz ;) :lol:

blocked punt by Ari forced ball to NE 2 yard line. they got a touch down.

13-9 Arizona leading! Fox played Someday by The Strokes on the leadout.

Somedayhuh!?
Arizona driving down the feild! no TD's for NE for first 3rd Q's!

bread's done
Back