The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

SPECIAL NOTE (B1G1 free on $14.99 and under used games through August 4th):
All used games under $14.99 are buy one get one free through August 4th NOW OVER.

The second post has games that you may want to trade in to Gamestop to transfer some credit from BB to GS. Unfortunately with the end of the $10 extra promo at Gamestop this is much less useful than before. Some people may have the $15 bonus coupon or want to use the current GS deal (trade 3 get an extra 10%, trade 4 get an extra 20%, trade 5 get an extra 30%) so we'll keep that post going until the B1G1 free ends at Blockbuster.

Even though the B1G1 sale is now over, I'm leaving this info up for a few days for those who bought stuff and still want to trade it in to Gamestop (you have till the 10th there).

SPECIAL NOTE #2 (DS Lite's and new DS games now available at most BB stores!):
Starting just on July 15th, most Blockbuster stores got shipments of DS Lites and a wide assortment of new DS games that they've never had for sale in the past. Titles include NSMB, Professor Layton, Mario Party DS, and High School Musical ;).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are currently taking preorders for NCAA 09, Madden 09, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Fallout 3, Soul Calibur IV, and a few others (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values. I'm going to elaborate on the last sentence as people apparently don't understand that when I say regular BB's have the same trade-in values as Gamerush that it means [hightlight]regular Blockbuster stores accept game trade-ins just like Gamerush stores[/highlight].

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. They just started in mid July selling DS Lites at most stores as well. As a result of not selling used hardware, however, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Both Gamerush and regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for new games for a $5 deposit (or you can pay any other amount beyond that). Gamerush stores will get many more games in than the regular stores but unfortunately a preorder at either place is not a guarantee you will get the game. Sometimes they do not get certain titles in even if you preorder them months in advance.

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by many regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Guitar Hero On Tour
High School Musical
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Party DS
My Fashion Designer
My Weight Loss Coach
NSMB
Professor Layton
Zoo Tycoon 2
(and a bunch of other older titles they just got in on July 15th)

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Lost Planet Colonies Edition
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Blast Works
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Rock Band bundle
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Wall-E
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

Here are my updated prices and values from today:
Went to five Blockbusters and three Gamestops. Everyone was very nice.
Both Gamestops at/by the mall were cleaned out of the three flip titles I confirmed this morning, but was able to get Octomania from both. Another clerk at my closest BbV screwed up different priced games in the same order again. I have not yet had a hassle-free transaction at this store from this sale.$

Blockbuster Purchases: (Gamestop Trade 30%+EDGE)
360 - LotR: BfME II $14.99 ($11.20)
360 - Soldier of Fortune: Payback $14.99 ($8.40)
GCN - Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door $14.99 (unknown) might keep it
pack of Rain gum $1.49 (n/a)
PS2 - Drakengard 2 $9.99 ($4.20) kept
PS2 - Legend of Spyro: Eternal Night $9.99 ($8.40)
PS2 - Meet the Robinsons $6.99 ($4.20)
PS2 - Rogue Galaxy $14.99 ($9.80)
PS2 - Spiderman: Friend or Foe $9.99 ($8.40)
PS2 - Star Wars: Battlefront II $14.99 (unknown)
PSP - Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony $9.99 ($11.20)
PSP - Manhunt 2 $14.99 ($14.00)
PSP - Pro Stroke Golf $6.99 ($5.60)
xbox - Fatal Frame 2 $9.99 (unknown) Goozex
xbox - King of Fighters 02/03 $6.99 (unknown) keeping
xbox - Psychonauts $9.99 (unknown) Goozex

I saw Destroy All Humans 2 twice, but didn't get it, wasn't sure it would be a good one. Also saw several games I haven't seen before at a new BBV, but didn't take a chance on them.

As far as gift cards go, as long as there is activity the credit should not expire. In my experience, in the state of California, gift cards cannot expire nor can there be fees charged for inactiviey due to law. Now, as far as outside CA, there should be wording on the receipt that says when the credit expires, otherwise a call to corporate would clear things up.

:wii: octomania - $23 [even though it sells for less, muahahaha]

Has anyone seen Scene It for the 360 (new or used) at Blockbuster before? I would like to pick up a copy but I haven't ever s(c)een one.

[quote name='pinebarrens']Has anyone seen Scene It for the 360 (new or used) at Blockbuster before? I would like to pick up a copy but I haven't ever s(c)een one.[/QUOTE]

I've seen new ones at my BBV, I saw them locked up with all the dvd box sets.

What does Octomania sell for at BBV? When the girl last week scanned mine, she did it as a sale and it rang up $39.99.

BB -> GS transfers (all after bonus + Edge)

Iridium Runners (x2) $4.99 -> $7.50
Golden Compass $4.99 -> $6.00
Manhunt 2 $14.99 -> $15.00
Spider-man 3 $9.99 -> $9.66 (Price overide of $0.60 extra on this?)
Family Guy $9.99 -> $9.66 (see above)
Mario Superstar Baseball $14.99 -> $14.49
Sega GT 2002/Jet Set Radio $4.99 -> $0.15

That's right. Sega GT/Jet Set got a whopping $0.10 TIV base. I should frame the receipt.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']BB -> GS transfers (all after bonus + Edge)

Iridium Runners (x2) $4.99 -> $7.50
Golden Compass $4.99 -> $6.00
Manhunt 2 $14.99 -> $15.00
Spider-man 3 $9.99 -> $9.66 (Price overide of $0.60 extra on this?)
Family Guy $9.99 -> $9.66 (see above)
Mario Superstar Baseball $14.99 -> $14.49
Sega GT 2002/Jet Set Radio $4.99 -> $0.15

That's right. Sega GT/Jet Set got a whopping $0.10 TIV base. I should frame the receipt.[/QUOTE]

man should've kept jet set radio, I loved that game.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']man should've kept jet set radio, I loved that game.[/QUOTE]
Surprisingly, the combo disc isn't BC. :(

Heh, I followed all the 'rules' of trading and still got flagged today. However, the store manager who told me so didn't care after I told him I just buy a lot of games and let me trade, then at the other BBV I went to they said nothing about a flagging. Seems like tomorrow is the day go hunting for PS3 and Wii titles since it's the last day of the sale and the price drops happened today. Might be able to score a few on the cheap.

[quote name='Nikadimas']Heh, I followed all the 'rules' of trading and still got flagged today. However, the store manager who told me so didn't care after I told him I just buy a lot of games and let me trade, then at the other BBV I went to they said nothing about a flagging. Seems like tomorrow is the day go hunting for PS3 and Wii titles since it's the last day of the sale and the price drops happened today. Might be able to score a few on the cheap.[/quote]

how exactly did you get flagged? about how much credit have you traded in all to BBV?

[quote name='CaoPi']how exactly did you get flagged? about how much credit have you traded in all to BBV?[/quote]

Yeah were you flagged for multiple copies of the same game? Account balance? Or just overall suspicion that you may be a theif or a dealer by the quantities you've traded in?

[quote name='JJSP']Surprisingly, the combo disc isn't BC. :([/QUOTE]

And that single game has been hard to find around here. Should have picked it up when I had a chance, now all I find are disk only copies.

Didnt get a chance to get rid of my last Octo, might just return it if the price drops for it, which probably will happen.

I picked up the only used copy of Octomania in my area at GS for $7.19(after Edge and 10% coupon). They had a new copy but I passed as I will have already traded a copy at each BB where I trade. Hopefully, I don't have any problems trading in this last copy tomorrow.

Also, picked up a second copy of Dancing w/ the Stars Wii at Target for $7.48. I hadn't been looking for this game either time but I guess I was just lucky. I traded in the first one yesterday. I called today and the TIV held at $30.

TIV (8/03):

Dancing with the Stars Wii - $30

[quote name='DaDeuce']Yeah were you flagged for multiple copies of the same game? Account balance? Or just overall suspicion that you may be a theif or a dealer by the quantities you've traded in?[/quote]

Overall suspicion. I would only trade one or two games at a time at each store and kept my trade-ins at each store to once a week. Somehow I still managed to get flagged by loss prevention. I don't ever keep a large balance at Blockbuster. At Gamestop you can go a bit above 500 without question since you can just say you're saving for a PS3, but since trading around here at BBV is fairly new, balances that high would be suspicious.

[quote name='Link927']And that single game has been hard to find around here. Should have picked it up when I had a chance, now all I find are disk only copies.

Didnt get a chance to get rid of my last Octo, might just return it if the price drops for it, which probably will happen.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I got 3 coming in the mail from gs.com I'll just return them to GS.

A couple pages back someone mentioned Orange Box 360 at 19.99. Any confirmation on that? Didnt see any at that price today at any of 10 BBs.

[quote name='xdl']A couple pages back someone mentioned Orange Box 360 at 19.99. Any confirmation on that? Didnt see any at that price today at any of 10 BBs.[/QUOTE]

I said that. There were 2 copies with fresh stickers on them marked 19.99.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I said that. There were 2 copies with fresh stickers on them marked 19.99.[/quote]

Interesting. Will have it price checked tomorrow so I can buy one. Been waiting for it to drop under $20 since it came out, and I still have $40 that I have to spend at BB tomorrow anyway.

I saw a clerk going around repricing some games when I was there, but I was carrying a stack of 31 DVDs and 4 games at the time, plus I had my daughter in tow, so I didn't follow him around to see what dropped. I'll head in tomorrow though.

Just wondering, but how many octos did some of you flip? And as an extension of that, how many Golden Compasses and Iridium's do you think you went through? I'm just restarting my flipping habits and trying to gauge where I stand in the world of power flippers. I think I used 6/7 copies of octo (2 from Best Buy and the others purchased as singles/doubles from GS to leave for some for others). All my bbv were really cool about the trades too.

I have a feeling that they're going to be moving rental GCN games to used.

I was talking with a cool manager last week and he said something along the lines of "yeah we're trying to clear out space for new merchandise" and he mentioned how they were dropping the GCN and PS2 games.

He also let me trade in two Octomanias at the same time. Awesome.

[quote name='wingedvictory']Just wondering, but how many octos did some of you flip? And as an extension of that, how many Golden Compasses and Iridium's do you think you went through? I'm just restarting my flipping habits and trying to gauge where I stand in the world of power flippers. I think I used 6/7 copies of octo (2 from Best Buy and the others purchased as singles/doubles from GS to leave for some for others). All my bbv were really cool about the trades too.[/quote]

I do only one of every game to each store, but 2 of them share employees so I only really buy 7 copies to trade in at the 8 stores I have accounts at. I think I did 7 copies of Octomania, but I might have done 6. Either way, used up the trades on that game.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']man should've kept jet set radio, I loved that game.[/QUOTE]

I needed a $4.99 game to go along with my iridium runner. I felt like being a gambler and risking the freebie on a game that didn't have the TIV posted here yet. The logic at the time was "it's basically like 2 games in one so maybe it'll get treated like two separate games. Besides, even if they're only $1.00 then it's $3 easy money."

Hopefully next time I won't pick a mystery game with such an egregious TIV.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']i guess dark sector dropped at GS as well, anyone know the tiv at BBV on that?[/quote]

Yes mate, we mentioned it. 9$ iirc. Im too lazy to double check :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pogipinoy27']I needed a $4.99 game to go along with my iridium runner. I felt like being a gambler and risking the freebie on a game that didn't have the TIV posted here yet. The logic at the time was "it's basically like 2 games in one so maybe it'll get treated like two separate games. Besides, even if they're only $1.00 then it's $3 easy money."

Hopefully next time I won't pick a mystery game with such an egregious TIV.[/QUOTE]

Even if it had 2 games in one, it was the first set of games given away for free when you bought the xbox >_< Well, you might not have known if you never owned the original xbox.

Anyone know if Resident Evil 4 still fetches $16 on the Wii? My BBVs don't give trade-in values unless you go in and actually hand them the game.

[quote name='Warner1281']If the credit is on a giftcard/value card, it depends on where you are located. If you're in CA, the card doesn't expire. It's good til you lose the card. If you're anywhere outside of CA, I believe you have either 12 or 24 months to use it, then they start taking out a certain amount ($2.50?) every month until the value drops to $0.
[/quote]

Correct about CA. According to the (really) small print on the back of the value cards, the value will expire after 24 months of consecutive non-use, except for cards issued in CA, CT, MA & NH. So I guess in theory, just buying a pack of gum every 23 months will keep a card active in the other states.

No Octomania in Greenville, SC.

Did someone hit up Greenville? It's OK if so I am just curious.

Oh, and for those who found Octomania, was it on the shelf somewhere or did you have to ask for it?

[quote name='Quintox']No Octomania in Greenville, SC.

Did someone hit up Greenville? It's OK if so I am just curious.

Oh, and for those who found Octomania, was it on the shelf somewhere or did you have to ask for it?[/quote]

I usually look for it and then ask if I can't find it.

[quote name='ultramanJ']So far today I flipped 4 copies of Octomania and have 2 more sitting right beside me, which I'll be trading in after I check out some other games to buy at BB.

I hit the motherload at one of the BBs near me. Here's some TIV's for GS with Edge and promo.

Golden Compass> $5.60
Iridium Runners> $7.00
Mario Baseball GC> $12.60
Mario Party 4> $12.60
Mario Party 7> $15.40
Mario Party 5> $14.00
StarWars Jedi Knight Outcast GC>$14.00
Power Rangers PS2> $12.60
Starfox Assault GC>$9.80
Manhunt 2> $8.40[/quote]

Unless those Mario Parties were disc-only or scratched to hell, I probably would have sold them online rather than to Gamestop. True of a lot of games you guys are flipping though. Why take $15 Gamestop credit for a game that can easily fetch $30 cash?

Kind of a weird day today. I intended to clear out a few BB's of anything decent left for transferring to GS but it didn't really work out that way. 3 of the 4 BB's I went to had almost nothing worth getting. I didn't find a single Iridium or Power Rangers, except for a disc-only one of the latter. And I only found 4 games worth getting at the one Blockbuster. The last one I went to had 3 or 4 things also but I figured I wouldn't get out to be able to pick up any more (to get 5 for GS) so I should just stop right there. Instead I ended up doing more Gamecrazy trades than I had planned.

I traded in 3 Octomania's and a Kane & Lynch to BB for a grand total of $99, and only spent $25 (today) getting games at BB. It was kind of disappointing after my find yesterday (a store with 2 Power Rangers). Anyway, I got enough to top off my 2 sets of trades plus a extra set of THPG/SoF Payback to trade at Gamecrazy.

At 2 Gamecrazy's I traded Iridium, SoF x 2, THPG, and an Octomania price match to BB's trade-in. The guy was somewhat hesitant about the price match because they sell it for only $14.99 used. But not only did he price match, he added the MVP bonus to it (which they don't usually do) so I got $25 for it ;). SO I ended up converting $25 worth of BB stuff and $9.99 from GS into $62.30 at GC.

Including the stuff I bought yesterday at BB (to trade today at GS) my total for the last 2 days looks like this:

Blockbuster: + $8.56
Gamecrazy: + $62.30
Gamestop: + $34.04

Thanks mostly to Octomania (and one Kane & Lynch) I was able to have all three remain positive! Nice...

Only new trade was Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix for PS2 which got $7 after bonus - more than I expected based off the used sales price of $14.99. For those unable to get enough on the last day of the sale for GS trade-in, keep in mind the following Gamecrazy trade-ins on these games (this is just standard value with 10% MVP boost, so no need for multiple games or coupons):

Iridium Runners; $8.25
THPG (360): $10.56
Soldier of Fortune Payback: $9.24

Unfortunately Power Rangers was a measily $3-something. Needless to say I took that to GS for the $12.60 ;).

[quote name='nlyonssmith']I went out to get an Octomania at Gamestop last night. As I was buying it, another guy was trading in his old gamecube and games. I saw a pristine Wavebird so I loitered around the store until he was done and had walked out. The Gstop employee was the nice enough to sell it to me immediately for $18 + tax. Score.[/quote]

If you can find a Gamerush that still has used controllers...these are like $5-7, I forget exactly. Bought one over the winter. Back during the old Gamerush clearance, they were going for $7.50 brand new. I bought 2. I wish GR hadn't stopped taking this stuff in trade.

io, I'd be careful about getting too much Game Crazy credit. There were 3 stores by me that I used to keep credit at and they all went out of business almost overnight. These stores are dropping like flies and they have two ways they go out. Sometimes they die slowly over a couple weeks and have clearance sales, which is great as you can find some deals before they're gone. The other way is that they are open one day and closed and gutted by the next morning. This is what happened to my last store. Luckily, I didn't have much credit left on my account, as there's no way to retrieve it or spend it. I'm really kind of surprised there are any Game Crazies left at all at this point. They bleed money.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rictor']Unless those Mario Parties were disc-only or scratched to hell, I probably would have sold them online rather than to Gamestop. True of a lot of games you guys are flipping though. Why take $15 Gamestop credit for a game that can easily fetch $30 cash?[/QUOTE]

Maybe the Mario Party's and Jedi Knight II, but many of the others are hardly worth selling. A lot of them are in Blockbuster cases (sure, you can swap those out, but still it is a hassle) and many don't have manuals. I thought for sure Mario Tennis was a sure fire seller, but it took me a full week's listing to sell one for just over $20. Yeah, better than $16 or whatever in GS credit, but not by much after fees take their bite (will be about the same in the end I guess - but in cash which of course is better).

The disappearance of Iridium Runners (and not finding Power Rangers) at stores I'm fairly sure I didn't get them from before makes me think there is a filthy lurker in my area. Of course I welcome any CAGs to hunt around me - the "filthy lurker" part is just because if there is someone else doing this, they are simply being a leech ;). Also, when I was at one store they got a call for a specific used game and the clerk went right to the PS2 part of the B1G1 display and flipped through them and said they didn't have any. :whistle2:s. I really wanted to ask him what they were looking for - if it was IR or Power Rangers then I would have known for sure!

[quote name='Rictor']Unless those Mario Parties were disc-only or scratched to hell, I probably would have sold them online rather than to Gamestop. True of a lot of games you guys are flipping though. Why take $15 Gamestop credit for a game that can easily fetch $30 cash?[/quote]

It's a question that is almost always met with the same reply: It's not worth it. Have to pay fees to sell online, have to wait for the buyer to pony up the cash, have to pack it up for shipping, have to ship it, have to make sure it gets there to you can write of the transaction. In the end, it's not really worth it just to make an extra ten bucks when you can just take the Gamestop credit and buy a game to flip back to blockbuster for the same return.

Personally, I think it's much less work...I racked up a couple hundred bucks this month on half.com from one trip to Gamerush...out of pocket cost to me was about $50. Biggest money makers aren't what you'd think. Certain $5-7.50 PSP games are hard to lose money on.

So who has gone in and canceled/moved their Madden 09 preorders so far? Since the fine print on the coupon says that all the credit on the trade has to go towards the preorder, I can only guess how many fully paid off PS3 Maddens people have accumulated. I am not a big fan of this series so I will be transferring the credit to some other PS3 game, while also eagerly anticipating any additional opportunities to transfer credit from GS to BB in order to buy the new Core 80GB PS3 system. Any suggestions on upcoming PS3 games to switch my preorder to? I have been bidding my time playing Disgaea 2 and Persona 3.

[quote name='Rictor']
io, I'd be careful about getting too much Game Crazy credit. There were 3 stores by me that I used to keep credit at and they all went out of business almost overnight. These stores are dropping like flies and they have two ways they go out. Sometimes they die slowly over a couple weeks and have clearance sales, which is great as you can find some deals before they're gone. The other way is that they are open one day and closed and gutted by the next morning. This is what happened to my last store. Luckily, I didn't have much credit left on my account, as there's no way to retrieve it or spend it. I'm really kind of surprised there are any Game Crazies left at all at this point. They bleed money.[/QUOTE]

Well, for a while there I was desperate to get all my BB credit converted over to GC because they seemed so much healthier (and when my GR shut down what is now my favorite GC was very close to it). But now with BB getting stuff in (plus I have one less than a mile away) I like to keep it even. GC still gets things BB never will (Atlus games, nice RPG's, most DS games, etc) though.

But except for my main Gamecrazy, which is a very healthy store, I don't keep any credit on any other store accounts. That's just insane ;). I get it all put on gift cards. It is a bit more of a hassle because they can only put full dollar amounts, so unless I top off trades with some change, I end up with like 25 cents sitting on each store account where I trade. I do keep quite a bit of credit at my main GC store though as it is so convenient to pop in there and buy something that way. This store has one of the highest sales in the country, so I'm not worried about them unless the whole chain goes under.

But it is all a matter of perspective. You live somewhere infested with Gamerush stores (I believe). From my point of view they couldn't keep just one of them open in this entire region of the country, so they couldn't be doing too well with it overall. However, there are more Gamecrazy stores in this area than there are Gamestops! And not one of them was closed in their last round of store closures.

Rictor - which PSP games sold well? I never found more than a handful to trade in anyway, so it really wasn't an opton for me. But I'm just curious.

(Edit - Just for kicks I checked the sales history for a few. Manunt 2 looks decent but highly variable at anywhere from $5 - $25. I did find a mint one of those so I could have tried it I guess - oh well. Afterburner is $5-$10, so OK on that I guess. Maybe $8-$10 for Virtua Tennis 3, which beats the heck out of a GS trade on that one. I should have bought the one that sat at my local store for 2 weeks ;), especially as it could have been paired with Star Trek, which gets about $10. Someone else snagged that pair last week. I ended up trading the one I bought somewhere else just to top off some GS trades - so sort of a waste there I guess but I needed it for the full 40% bonus. And Playpus (which I kept) looks like about $6 or so - not worth selling. And that about sums up the most common games I saw, anyway).

in my hunt for flippable games i've been able to find mario party 4, 6, 7, zelda twilight princess and a pikmin 2. all the games were in blockbuster cases with no manual or cover art and scratched to hell. i opted for the gamestop quick credit route since i didn't want to deal with the whole ebay or half.com thing. on top of that, i was worried after the person got the game i would get complaints about the game not working cause it was too scratched.

so far im getting 1.87 ratio transferring credit from BB>GS. it really helps when you find those couple gems at each location. i got one more BB to hit tomorrow so hopefully this promo ends with a bang.

[quote name='ghozt']on top of that, i was worried after the person got the game i would get complaints about the game not working cause it was too scratched.[/quote]

Once you sign that receipt, it's no longer your problem, it's Gamestop's. Another reason for trading in. That makes me wonder, do places refurb GC discs? seems like they'd be a pain.

I turned one of my friends onto flipping (it's okay since we live on completely other sides of town, so no cutting into each others' business;)) and he ran into a dick blockbuster manager today. He only let him pair up expensive games with the cheap games. My friend's problem is that he's a lightweight. He goes along with everything and doesn't even make a peep back at the guy. All I know is that I would have been pissed and would have made a big deal or just buy the games that matched up and go back in line again and again. Manager probably would have kicked me out!

[quote name='Nikadimas']Once you sign that receipt, it's no longer your problem, it's Gamestop's. Another reason for trading in. That makes me wonder, do places refurb GC discs? seems like they'd be a pain.[/QUOTE]

In theory, you have less disk to clean up right? o_O

[quote name='Nikadimas']Once you sign that receipt, it's no longer your problem, it's Gamestop's. Another reason for trading in. That makes me wonder, do places refurb GC discs? seems like they'd be a pain.[/quote]

yea that was the reason i opted for gamestop credit over selling online. i had gamecrazy buff a couple of those gc games and it actually made it look worse. ended up haveing bigger swirl marks instead of light scratches.

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']I turned one of my friends onto flipping (it's okay since we live on completely other sides of town, so no cutting into each others' business;)) and he ran into a dick blockbuster manager today. He only let him pair up expensive games with the cheap games. My friend's problem is that he's a lightweight. He goes along with everything and doesn't even make a peep back at the guy. All I know is that I would have been pissed and would have made a big deal or just buy the games that matched up and go back in line again and again. Manager probably would have kicked me out![/quote]

Just need to tell them no. If they get difficult about it, walk. But remain polite. Come back later, have them ring separate transactions for all the games of each price point. Keep in mind, it is incredibly difficult/annoying for them to cancel a transaction once stuff has been scanned, so a lot of them will give you static about it.

Visited a BBV that I had never been to before and scored big on Gamecube games.

3 Mario Tennis
1 Mario Golf
1 Mario Baseball
1 Mario Party 4
1 Mario Party 7
1 Gauntlet Dark Legacy

Also picked up a few BC Xbox games.

[quote name='dys006']Just need to tell them no. If they get difficult about it, walk. But remain polite. Come back later, have them ring separate transactions for all the games of each price point. Keep in mind, it is incredibly difficult/annoying for them to cancel a transaction once stuff has been scanned, so a lot of them will give you static about it.[/quote]
Came off a little like an obnoxious kid in my post. I always ask before I even hand them the games if they can pair them up together with the same priced games. All employees I've seen so far are very kind. Most are just glad to get rid of this to clear up store space. I was just surprised that a manager was still playing hard ass when he should have realized that nobody else is going to buy it.

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']Came off a little like an obnoxious kid in my post. I always ask before I even hand them the games if they can pair them up together with the same priced games. All employees I've seen so far are very kind. Most are just glad to get rid of this to clear up store space. I was just surprised that a manager was still playing hard ass when he should have realized that nobody else is going to buy it.[/quote]

Bought two $14.99s and two $4.99s at one Blockbuster today. I set them in separate piles on the counter, like a foot apart, then handed her the one pile. I indicated that I wanted to buy these two sets, for the sale. There was a whole big to-do because one of them didn't have the game in it, and she was looking all over everywhere for another copy of the game. By then I'm distracted by this whole thing, and she grabs all four games and scans them in. Of course the total comes out with both $4.99 games deducted. I point it out to her, and she is totally lost as to what to do, has to go get someone else for help. The other woman is sort of exasperated, and tells me several times that's how the sale works. I explain that I want to buy a $14.99 game, and get a $14.99 game free, and that I want to buy a $4.99 game and get a $4.99 game free. There is more discussion, I say that I don't want to pay an extra ten dollars just because we didn't ring it up right. She tells me "No, she didn't ring it up wrong, YOU needed to tell beforehand that you wanted to buy that way." I was a little taken aback by this, so I didn't point out that I had said exactly that at the start of the whole thing. Meanwhile, the poor cashier now, has to void off each item from the sale, then use a calculator to put on a phantom credit to balance the transaction back to zero, so she can close it out and start a new one. Then I buy the two pairs of games in two transactions. I tried to be polite and apologetic the whole time. It took at least fifteen minutes from the time I put the games on the counter to the time I walked out the door with them.

one of the BBV i visited to day had the LAST 2 day of summer game sale. This weekend will be your last chance. So yea I guess that will be it for B1G1 sale from BBV. Let hope the next one will be better. like 50% off or B1G1 of 29.99+ or - XD

[quote name='luan87us']one of the BBV i visited to day had the LAST 2 day of summer game sale. This weekend will be your last chance. So yea I guess that will be it for B1G1 sale from BBV. Let hope the next one will be better. like 50% off or B1G1 of 29.99+ or - XD[/quote]
Rule 1 of the internet. Never XD

[quote name='dys006']Bought two $14.99s and two $4.99s at one Blockbuster today. I set them in separate piles on the counter, like a foot apart, then handed her the one pile. I indicated that I wanted to buy these two sets, for the sale. There was a whole big to-do because one of them didn't have the game in it, and she was looking all over everywhere for another copy of the game. By then I'm distracted by this whole thing, and she grabs all four games and scans them in. Of course the total comes out with both $4.99 games deducted. I point it out to her, and she is totally lost as to what to do, has to go get someone else for help. The other woman is sort of exasperated, and tells me several times that's how the sale works. I explain that I want to buy a $14.99 game, and get a $14.99 game free, and that I want to buy a $4.99 game and get a $4.99 game free. There is more discussion, I say that I don't want to pay an extra ten dollars just because we didn't ring it up right. She tells me "No, she didn't ring it up wrong, YOU needed to tell beforehand that you wanted to buy that way."

I ran into a similar problem at one Blockbuster. I explaind to the employee that I should be paying about $10 less, than what he was charging. I always hand everything over already paired up, but he still screwed it up. I had him void the transaction and start over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back