The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

SPECIAL NOTE (B1G1 free on $14.99 and under used games through August 4th):
All used games under $14.99 are buy one get one free through August 4th NOW OVER.

The second post has games that you may want to trade in to Gamestop to transfer some credit from BB to GS. Unfortunately with the end of the $10 extra promo at Gamestop this is much less useful than before. Some people may have the $15 bonus coupon or want to use the current GS deal (trade 3 get an extra 10%, trade 4 get an extra 20%, trade 5 get an extra 30%) so we'll keep that post going until the B1G1 free ends at Blockbuster.

Even though the B1G1 sale is now over, I'm leaving this info up for a few days for those who bought stuff and still want to trade it in to Gamestop (you have till the 10th there).

SPECIAL NOTE #2 (DS Lite's and new DS games now available at most BB stores!):
Starting just on July 15th, most Blockbuster stores got shipments of DS Lites and a wide assortment of new DS games that they've never had for sale in the past. Titles include NSMB, Professor Layton, Mario Party DS, and High School Musical ;).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are currently taking preorders for NCAA 09, Madden 09, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Fallout 3, Soul Calibur IV, and a few others (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values. I'm going to elaborate on the last sentence as people apparently don't understand that when I say regular BB's have the same trade-in values as Gamerush that it means [hightlight]regular Blockbuster stores accept game trade-ins just like Gamerush stores[/highlight].

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. They just started in mid July selling DS Lites at most stores as well. As a result of not selling used hardware, however, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Both Gamerush and regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for new games for a $5 deposit (or you can pay any other amount beyond that). Gamerush stores will get many more games in than the regular stores but unfortunately a preorder at either place is not a guarantee you will get the game. Sometimes they do not get certain titles in even if you preorder them months in advance.

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by many regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Guitar Hero On Tour
High School Musical
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Party DS
My Fashion Designer
My Weight Loss Coach
NSMB
Professor Layton
Zoo Tycoon 2
(and a bunch of other older titles they just got in on July 15th)

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Lost Planet Colonies Edition
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Blast Works
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Rock Band bundle
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Wall-E
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='xdl']Did you actually have the prices checked at the register? Those tags very well may have been old tags if not. After the changes yesterday I still was able to find a large number of games ringing up at 9.99 whether they were tagged that way or not.[/quote]

They were definitely "mark ups" as I went to that location several times last week and never noticed the odd prices. I did have a Virtua Tennis scanned because I was looking for a second game to pair on a flip, and it rang up $16.99.

Picked up on Sunday at BB:

PSU - $9.99
Spiderman FoF - $12.99
MtR 360 - $6.99
PotC 360 - $9.99

I saw VT3 (no case) priced at $9.99 but didn't get it scanned. I went to 3 different BBs and didn't notice any markups. Couldn't really check most games since they have been cleaned out. ;)

Also, traded in Sonic Riders with no problem.

Sonic Riders Wii - $26 TIV

[quote name='aea414']:ps3:Stranglehold - Reg.
For $16.88, good deal if you have Prime. Also if there is change TIV tomorrow could be a factor.[/QUOTE]

Nice I'm ordering at least 5 of these tomorrow when I can confirm the TIV (make sure it hasn't dropped). Glad I still have Prime.

where in the world are you guys finding all the Strangleholds???? I've checked every Gamestop withing a 15 mile radius (9 of them!!!!) and turned up about 2 used copies. I would love to find more, but no such luck.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I'm really needing another flip, ive already done 2 strangleholds at the 5 stores that are cluster-farked around my house.[/quote]

Don't forget to use the GameCrazy price match game in your GR/BB trades, that allows me at least 2-3 more copies of a flip without worrying about trading multiples at any single BB.

Just when I thought i was out, they pull me back in!!!

The babbages/gamestop I'm dumping my next load at appears to have a Stranglehold
iconps3.gif
and Sega Tennis
iconps3.gif
in stock. Arrgh.
Guess I'll push a double dip on an out of the way store tonight.
$35 gamestop credit into $63 at Blockbuster. It'll cover my Aerosmith pre order at least.
Maybe i'll try to use some will power and not buy them.

FYI: Hannah Montana print down to $19.99 from $29.99

[quote name='freshzen']Nice I'm ordering at least 5 of these tomorrow when I can confirm the TIV (make sure it hasn't dropped). Glad I still have Prime.[/quote]

Well if you order more than 2 it doesn't even matter, but yea, prime rules.

I dropped by the BBV I hate (they don't let me trade games, but won't tell me that I'm banned. I just get a "oh, we can't take this" every time. Cocksuckers) and found a bunch of GS flippables that were all priced $5-10 above what they were scanning at, including VT3, SMFoF, and Pirates 3.

does blockbuster sell the Wii console alone? There are no gamerushes here I've only seen the bundle priced Mario Kart ones.

What is the price BB is selling stranglehold for at your stores? Mine was 24.99. This another 1 of their classic slow updates where they give more in trade than they sell it?

[quote name='rmb']What is the price BB is selling stranglehold for at your stores? Mine was 24.99. This another 1 of their classic slow updates where they give more in trade than they sell it?[/quote]
Was it the PS3 version?
I think the xbox 360 one has been $24.99 or less.

PS3 version is 33 I traded this in last wk, while 360 isn't I'm hanging onto my personal CE of Stranglehold since it has the so-called blu ray movie.

[quote name='rmb']360 version, is that 1 getting 33 tiv? ps3 is 33![/quote]
According to wiki(from the first post of THIS thread) 360 version was getting $19 as of 4/22. Surely it is a bit less by now.

[quote name='emg28']Picked up on Sunday at BB:

PSU - $9.99
Spiderman FoF - $12.99
MtR 360 - $6.99
PotC 360 - $9.99

I saw VT3 (no case) priced at $9.99 but didn't get it scanned. I went to 3 different BBs and didn't notice any markups.[/QUOTE]

If this was really on Sunday (you sure it wasn't Saturday?) then I don't know what to think. Now some people had MtR ring up $16.99 and others didn't? I certainly hope those people who are noting markups are all doing them based on actual price checks - because almost none of the $9.99 games I bought last week were actually marked that way. Most were $14.99 - $24.99 (but of course scanned at $9.99).

Anyway, I've already made adjustments and deleted some games from the list based on the prices reported yesterday. I guess I'll go back to the "$6.99 or $16.99" thing until we get more verification of the price jumps.

[quote name='io']If this was really on Sunday (you sure it wasn't Saturday?) then I don't know what to think. Now some people had MtR ring up $16.99 and others didn't? I certainly hope those people who are noting markups are all doing them based on actual price checks - because almost none of the $9.99 games I bought last week were actually marked that way. Most were $14.99 - $24.99 (but of course scanned at $9.99).

Anyway, I've already made adjustments and deleted some games from the list based on the prices reported yesterday. I guess I'll go back to the "$6.99 or $16.99" thing until we get more verification of the price jumps.[/quote]

Yeah, it was yesterday. I was out with the family for a Father's Day late lunch and I bought the mentioned games. I'm in Southern CA, if that makes any difference. If they would have rung up at the marked up prices, there is no way I would have bought them.

I definitely think Stranglehold will drop tomorrow. As I was trading one in today the manager said, "Wow! We've been getting a lot of these lately, already six this week!" It wasn't me dropping them off as I just did my first drop at that store (somebody also nabbed all the good GS flipables). My guess is that this is the case system-wide and unless the algorithm that they use is completely retarded (I guess that's not out of the question considering some of BBVs TiVs...) it has to drop.

I would get rid of any extra copies people have around by the end of the day.

PS3 Stranglehold still holding at $34.98, gotta love getting tax credit as well. :D Dump them today and don't take any chances. Used my left over GR credit along with this and got a Wii Play. Needed another Wiimote for Mario Kart so it's all good paying "full price". Ended up getting NCAA Football 09 prepaid at GS, Wii Play, and 1600 XBL points for less than $35 out of pocket and only made 6 total stops flipping back and forth.

TIV:

:360:Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix $12
:360: Mass Effect $25
:360: Stranglehold CE $35
:wii: Sega Superstar Tennis $26
:wii: Bleach Shattered Blade $23

Meet the Robinsons is still $6.99 to buy for :360: and Mass Effect was still $39.99 to buy. I also scored Pikmin 2 and Firefighter FD 18 today when I went downtown GO ME!

Stranglehold Xbox360 is now at 13.00 at BB TIV. I just traded several games and that is what i got for it. I was hoping for more. On a brighter note, I now have 176.00 as a credit.

Scored at Target today for The Club at $14.98 and TIV at BB is $30. Cant hate that.

Ill be waiting for tomorrows TIVs to see which games I need to hunt down this week.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Anyone find a way to search for Stranglehold CE 360? I can only find how to search for it new, not used.[/QUOTE]

No they just group them together, you have to go for new ones and hope to get lucky with a used one.

So I went to hang up one of those framed wood-backed posters I got at a Blockbuster in my daughter's room and when I removed the cardboard corner the whole thing fell apart - it was broken in the corner. Now I need to deal with a return at Blockbuster - always an enjoyable experience... I'm going to try my local store even though I didn't buy it there and see how it goes. They did give me a refund on a SEALED game I bought all the way across the country that turned out not to have a disc in it but that was a long time ago with different employees working there. If I have to bring this poster back to the store I got it at that's no big deal.

So, I guess no B1G1 free sale?? And the prices seem to be back to normal now? They had some sort of weird pricing glitch yesterday? It is all very strange.

[quote name='freshzen']No they just group them together, you have to go for new ones and hope to get lucky with a used one.[/quote]

:roll: That's retarded. Why would they do it for the PS3 CE and not the 360. Well, this is GS we're talking about.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Anyone find a way to search for Stranglehold CE 360? I can only find how to search for it new, not used.[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing.

[quote name='freshzen']No they just group them together, you have to go for new ones and hope to get lucky with a used one.[/quote]

:roll: That's retarded. Why would they do it for the PS3 CE and not the 360? Well, this is GS we're talking about.

Just confirmed :ps3: Stranglehold has a used price of $49.99.

I'm going to assume it will hold and smack a few out of GameFly's hands.

Or not, since it's still $20 from them.

Man, talk about surprising events...

I went to Blockbuster to dump a Stranglehold i got off of Goozex and the manager who I always trade in to is there (really cool guy, one of the best managers the store has had). I never mentioned to him how I was making $ off the games, but I'm sure since he's seen me trade in lots of games that I would never play, he probably took a good guess. I went to trade the game in and he said 'So i saw you had traded some Spiderwicks to other stores as well". He paused and first thing that flies into my mind is "Oh shit, the ban-hammer's coming down". He then continues "You know, if I'm here when you trade, you can trade more than 2 of a game if you have them."

... Holy shit, that totally blew my mind. He went up so many notches in my book. After that we did some idle chatter about the trade agreement and he said that the trade 2 per day doesn't apply anymore. The only warning he said was not to trade them in while Casey (The gigantic-asshole manager) is working. I told Ben that I try to avoid Casey like the plague and he agreed.

Its really nice to know that good managers do still exist in retail stores. I'll probably wont give him all the details about the flipping, just random hints at past deals I've gotten. I think I'll start kicking him back some candy and whatnot as well. He also told me that its possible that a B1G1 will be coming soon. He said it was 'getting close to that time' and that he also noticed the prices going up like they usually do before it happens.

*edit*

Oh yea, Blacksite: A51 gets $19. Its $12 on gamefly. I got a $5 off coupon, so $7 -> $19 isn't too bad. Just wanna make sure it doesn't drop tomorrow.

[quote name='Bezerker'] I went to trade the game in and he said 'So i saw you had traded some Spiderwicks to other stores as well". He paused and first thing that flies into my mind is "Oh shit, the ban-hammer's coming down". He then continues "You know, if I'm here when you trade, you can trade more than 2 of a game if you have them."

... Holy shit, that totally blew my mind. He went up so many notches in my book. After that we did some idle chatter about the trade agreement and he said that the trade 2 per day doesn't apply anymore.[/QUOTE]

Two questions - any idea how he saw that you traded Spiderwicks in to other stores? I'd like to know how that works. I thought that required communication between the stores only in cases where they were suspicious of you.

And second, when he said "2 per day doesn't apply any more" did he mean there is no limit, or 2 per day is not allowed and it is much more restrictive (though they won't tell us how restrictive and in what way that is applied - aside from random bannings)? I couldn't gather from your post which of those opposing possibilities he meant!

[quote name='io']Two questions - any idea how he saw that you traded Spiderwicks in to other stores? I'd like to know how that works. I thought that required communication between the stores only in cases where they were suspicious of you.

And second, when he said "2 per day doesn't apply any more" did he mean there is no limit, or 2 per day is not allowed and it is much more restrictive (though they won't tell us how restrictive and in what way that is applied - aside from random bannings)? I couldn't gather from your post which of those opposing possibilities he meant![/quote]

He said that he saw them "at the stores", so i'm guessing that he only noticed them while being physically at the other stores. Though, if I saw myself trading that many games, i'd probably wonder too . Even if he's looking at my trade history, i'm sure he's only looking for entertainment reasons. I know he's looking for a MGS4 PS3. I bet if i sell him one for $350 (probably more than his employee discount) he'd more than appreciate my 'side job'

As for the 2 a day question, he was referring to that it no longer applies. As Kunai (and some others) mentioned, the new trade agreement does not mention any limitations on trades.

I think i'm still going to spread the games around. I think it would raise a flag if the asshole manager (who is the head store manager) were to work the day after I trade in 5+ copies of Stranglehold, and notice the stack of them in the 'need to barcode and shelf' pile. I wouldn't want him to look at who was on duty during that time and have the good manager get in trouble for being a nice guy.

[quote name='io']

And second, when he said "2 per day doesn't apply any more" did he mean there is no limit, or 2 per day is not allowed and it is much more restrictive (though they won't tell us how restrictive and in what way that is applied - aside from random bannings)? I couldn't gather from your post which of those opposing possibilities he meant![/quote]

I was told last week that its only to per title now period. It kinda feels like they are catching on to us.

[quote name='CaoPi']The dump days Tues according to the TIV's do they change them at the start of the day or end of the day?[/quote]

If you havent traded it in by now...better find out if the TIV has changed. ;)

Its beginning of the day.

[quote name='ChunkyLover78']i saw that some people get tax factored into their tiv... is that a regional thing? cuz ive never had tax factored in my tiv[/quote]

I don't get this either. I wonder if it is YMMV or regional? Was considering mentioning it when I traded in my copy of Stranglehold today but I thought better of it.

[quote name='Armstrong x360a']I don't get this either. I wonder if it is YMMV or regional? Was considering mentioning it when I traded in my copy of Stranglehold today but I thought better of it.[/quote]

Tax credit on trade-ins vary by your state. I'm in KY and all my stores give sales tax credit when you trade, $1.98 on $33 ain't bad. :D

Receipt reads:
trade value - X
tax - y
Total = X+Y
Total credited to account = X+Y

I remember back then EB games giving tax for trade in credits but nowhere now do they do this. CA gives no tax for trade ins

Today (Monday) purchased MTR (360), Virtua Tennis (360), Katamari (360) for their original prices of under $10.

The MRT (wii) rang up at 14.99.

[quote name='CaoPi']I remember back then EB games giving tax for trade in credits but nowhere now do they do this. CA gives no tax for trade ins[/quote]

Yea, but one nice thing that I've noticed at GS/EB is that they don't charge tax when using store credit, which is basically the same thing. On the other hand, BBV doesn't give the credit on tax AND charges tax even though I'm using their value card.

No biggie really, just makes it a little bit more difficult to break even when flipping from BBV=>GS...

Anyone know what Spyro Wii gets? It's $12.48 at Target, though I fear it's one of the really cheap games at BB.

2 fun bits of info:

1) As stated last week, there is NO B1G1 sale listed for this weeks promos. Anything beyond next Monday (6/23) I won't know til Sunday.

2) Starting Friday there will be an AUTOMATIC $10 discount on Grand Theft Auto 4 (new retail ONLY). Thus... it doesn't matter what the price sticker says or what system it is for. When they scan it/price check it, it will say $59.99, but when they hit total, the system will automatically take off $10 + tax. This SHOULD apply to both the regular and special editions, but I only have confirmation on regular edition.

Any other questions/info needed, post in here or shoot me a PM. Also, if anyone wants to meet the CEO of the company, come to San Diego on July 2nd (or maybe July 3rd... can't remember which day now). He'll be at one of the stores here doing a "movies for troops" drive/rally. Should be interesting.

[quote name='Warner1281']2 fun bits of info:

1) As stated last week, there is NO B1G1 sale listed for this weeks promos. Anything beyond next Monday (6/23) I won't know til Sunday.

2) Starting Friday there will be an AUTOMATIC $10 discount on Grand Theft Auto 4 (new retail ONLY). Thus... it doesn't matter what the price sticker says or what system it is for. When they scan it/price check it, it will say $59.99, but when they hit total, the system will automatically take off $10 + tax. This SHOULD apply to both the regular and special editions, but I only have confirmation on regular edition.

Any other questions/info needed, post in here or shoot me a PM. Also, if anyone wants to meet the CEO of the company, come to San Diego on July 2nd (or maybe July 3rd... can't remember which day now). He'll be at one of the stores here doing a "movies for troops" drive/rally. Should be interesting.[/quote]

hmmmmm. ...... think he would sign one of my trade in receipts??? Jk, thanks for the heads up about gta4.:applause:

[quote name='Warner1281']
[/QUOTE]

Thanks... I guess that means my week will be a lot more relaxed that I thought it would be - no need to run all over town ;). But the question is, do I bother with any more trades or wait for the possibility of a B1G1 next Tuesday with only 5 days left in the GS promo? And if I wait then GS prices may drop in the mean time... Guess I'll run a few more games out tomorrow and consider myself done unless the B1G1 shows up. At least I finally found a few things to spend my Blockbuster credit on recently (Blast Works and Lost Planet Colonies) so it isn't completely worthless and thus not a disaster if I can't convert more to GS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back