The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

SPECIAL NOTE (B1G1 free on $14.99 and under used games through August 4th):
All used games under $14.99 are buy one get one free through August 4th NOW OVER.

The second post has games that you may want to trade in to Gamestop to transfer some credit from BB to GS. Unfortunately with the end of the $10 extra promo at Gamestop this is much less useful than before. Some people may have the $15 bonus coupon or want to use the current GS deal (trade 3 get an extra 10%, trade 4 get an extra 20%, trade 5 get an extra 30%) so we'll keep that post going until the B1G1 free ends at Blockbuster.

Even though the B1G1 sale is now over, I'm leaving this info up for a few days for those who bought stuff and still want to trade it in to Gamestop (you have till the 10th there).

SPECIAL NOTE #2 (DS Lite's and new DS games now available at most BB stores!):
Starting just on July 15th, most Blockbuster stores got shipments of DS Lites and a wide assortment of new DS games that they've never had for sale in the past. Titles include NSMB, Professor Layton, Mario Party DS, and High School Musical ;).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are currently taking preorders for NCAA 09, Madden 09, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Fallout 3, Soul Calibur IV, and a few others (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values. I'm going to elaborate on the last sentence as people apparently don't understand that when I say regular BB's have the same trade-in values as Gamerush that it means [hightlight]regular Blockbuster stores accept game trade-ins just like Gamerush stores[/highlight].

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. They just started in mid July selling DS Lites at most stores as well. As a result of not selling used hardware, however, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Both Gamerush and regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for new games for a $5 deposit (or you can pay any other amount beyond that). Gamerush stores will get many more games in than the regular stores but unfortunately a preorder at either place is not a guarantee you will get the game. Sometimes they do not get certain titles in even if you preorder them months in advance.

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by many regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Guitar Hero On Tour
High School Musical
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Party DS
My Fashion Designer
My Weight Loss Coach
NSMB
Professor Layton
Zoo Tycoon 2
(and a bunch of other older titles they just got in on July 15th)

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Lost Planet Colonies Edition
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Blast Works
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Rock Band bundle
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Wall-E
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='CaoPi']Traded in another stranglehold today hopefully BB will start selling the Wii console by itself and not just the bunled package.[/QUOTE]

They don't even have the bundled package near me.

What's in it?

[quote name='confoosious']They don't even have the bundled package near me.

What's in it?[/quote]

Roll-your-own. They just require that you buy a remote, nunchuck, and two games (if I recall correctly).

[quote name='mkernan']Roll-your-own. They just require that you buy a remote, nunchuck, and two games (if I recall correctly).[/quote]

Sounds about right. A lot of District Managers are encouraging stores to sell the Wii's as bundles only. The only caveat is that the total bundle price can't exceed $498. So a lot of stores will sell the Wii's as Wii + controller + nunchuck + game + one other item to bring the total to about $400.

[quote name='kill3r7']Has anyone received the MGS4 80GB Bundle pre-orders? I spoke with the manager at my local BB yesterday and he said it was on his way. However, as usual I'm worried that he was just bsing me.[/quote]
As stated on the old thread and even this one, I got my bundle the day it came out. I also found a bundle down here in phoenix where they had it sitting on the counter top. Maybe you should try looking at another BB/GR if you still have no luck.

So I went to a BB/GR near me and they totally rearrange the store as if they are dropping Gamerush from that store. All of the used game were stuck with the rental games and I didn't see very many used games, at least none even worth buying.

Blockbuster sells "Boondocks: Season 2" for $34.99. It's $39.99 at Target.

One of the funniest shows ever, a great look at black and white culture.

[quote name='spauldingfan']Not sure if this wil help but in regards to the spidey BR that was bundled with the 40gb ps3, I saw a used one at BB today at 34.99, so it could be a potential flip for you if you have stores with the B2G3 free ;)[/quote]Really? That has to be an old sticker as that's the price of Spiderman 3 BR brand new. Does Blockbuster take DVD trade ins if you don't have the second disc, ie the non-movie disc(s)?

Just flipped PS2 The Club for $30 too. This flipping this is starting to lose its luster.

Also traded in Xbox 360 Cabela's Alaskan Adventure for $8.

I only had to pay 271.95 for my Wii . Which included 1 month of the game pass. I have seen a few in the WNY area for 249.99 . People dont check BB for these mostely

BTW, you can barter with Blockbuster when it comes to Wii's, just say you will buy a Wii+gamepass or Wii and one game, The blockbuster by me requires no bundle at all, the manager said their encourage but NOT required

[quote name='Poor2More']Did Stranglehold PS3 TIV hold?[/QUOTE]

Read the mutha fuckin' thread before ya mutha fuckin' post :D

But yeah it did.

[quote name='freshzen']Read the mutha fuckin' thread before ya mutha fuckin' post :D

But yeah it did.[/quote]

Sorry I went back and saw that it held and deleted my post, and then i saw your post :)

A TV would be freakin fantastic, also to all PS3 owners flipping stranglehold i just played it for an hour its a great game, atleast worth a run through before the inevitable flip :)

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']A TV would be freakin fantastic, also to all PS3 owners flipping stranglehold i just played it for an hour its a great game, atleast worth a run through before the inevitable flip :)[/quote]

You can probably Buy it, Beat it, Flip it, all in the same day :)

^^ True dat

I would totally pick up from Gamefly, but I have $80 from GameStop and I don't want to spend my real cash if I can help it. Please let us know if there are any good 1:2 flips. Where's my B2G1 that was supposed to happen on Sunday, dammit? lol

What are value cards? I usually get traded reloaded onto my gift card, but they said they only could put it on a value card and gave me a new value card.

Yesterday I bought Virtua Fighter 5 for PS3 and it was 16.99, not 14.99, making a transfer 16.99 -> 13.80 after Edge + bonus.

Also, Superman Returns for XBox 360 only trades in for 7.75 at Gamestop after Edge + bonus, making it 9.99 -> 7.75.

BTW, it's good to know SST and Stranglehold haven't dropped in TIV. I was going to hit up my last couple BBs tomorrow to try to convert to GS credit, but it looks like I'll wind up flipping all my GS back anyway.

Shoot. So, are there any worthwhile flips at all from GS besides Stranglehold and SST? I'm running out of these at my GS'es and I also don't want to be bringing in any more copies of the same games, since all of my local BBVs have seen several of each so far.

And is there anything that will be awesome when the B2G1 hits? Apparently, some GS locations are doing employee appreciation B2G1s all summer in lieu of the standard discount, so if anyone has a friend that works there who's willing to pick some games up...

I did a modest amount of flipping as I was running around doing other errands. I scrounged up 4 more flippables from my local Blockbuster and 2 more at another. Traded those in to GS for a $66 -> $70 conversion. Then I bought a Stranglehold (again, ruining the B2G1 there as they had 2 copies - oh well...) and traded that to a BB for $33 and picked up Lost Planet Colonies, a clearance Indy shirt for my son (down to $7.99 from $9.99 but they only had one small enough for him), and a brand new Beatles poster (the long one with their faces in black and white) that they said they just got today. My son is making his room Beatles-themed so these BB posters (at severely reduced price due to game trades) are perfect.

Shrek 3, Spiderman 3, Spiderman FoF, and PotC are all holding their prices at BB and their trade-ins at GS as listed in the OP...

Oh, I also got 2 copies of The Bigs for free from Target as the Electronics guy scanned the coupons for me after telling me they wouldn't work (because the games were $7.48, not because they were expired). I'll have to sort out the BB vs GS trade-in on those, though I may actually keep one. I haven't played any Baseball games except for that NES one (RBI Baseball maybe?), Wii Sports, and Mario Superstar Baseball for the GC.

does anyone know what karaoke revolution american idol for the 360 is trading for currently? called 3 different stores today and they all found it in the system but said "it doesn't give a price, you will have to bring it in." this after giving me several other TIV over the phone...

something weird going on with this one?

Trade-in Values for today:
BlockBuster Video
Sega Superstars Tennis (Wii) - $26 + tax
GameStop
Meet The Robinsons (Wii) - $11.60 (from $9.99 @ BBV)
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (XBOX 360) - $10.50 (from $9.99 @ BBV)
Spiderman: Friend Or Foe (XBOX 360) - $13.80 (from $12.99 @ BBV)
Spiderman 3 (XBOX 360) - $10.50 (from $9.99 @ BBV)

got hit with a $2 refurbishing fee for Pirates =[.

Also picked up a copy of Shrek The Third (360) and Beautiful Katamari (360) that I'm hoping to flip tomorrow at GS (sorry Io, or whoever else that was looking for a complete version of this game, though mine isn't complete).

Good luck to those who are continuing to flip Stranglehold/SST. The stores in my area are completely drained out, and it looks like people have all transferred them to BBV :)

And I got into a car accident while coming back from buying some games to flip at GS at BBV... which totally kills all the money I've saved/generated by flipping games. sigh* :drool:

Flipped two strangleholds into about $100 credit at gamestop, $30 at BB, Fatal Frame, Firefighter FD18, Baldurs Gate 2, Pikmin 2, GRAW, Cars, and two extra trade in games left over. Still a few stores I never even touched as well.

[quote name='drgnasdt']And I got into a car accident while coming back from buying some games to flip at GS at BBV... which totally kills all the money I've saved/generated by flipping games. sigh* :drool:[/quote]

LOL all that work for nothing. Hope you're alright though.

[quote name='Nikadimas']LOL all that work for nothing. Hope you're alright though.[/quote]

Thanks... luckily it was a minor impact (I managed to accelerate and swerve out of the way just in time - the woman was making an illegal U turn on a two way street), but there goes my driving privileges for the rest of my summer. And it was the first accident my dad's car has ever gotten into.... #-o

[quote name='drgnasdt']Thanks... luckily it was a minor impact (I managed to accelerate and swerve out of the way just in time - the woman was making an illegal U turn on a two way street), but there goes my driving privileges for the rest of my summer. And it was the first accident my dad's car has ever gotten into.... #-o[/QUOTE]

As long as its not your fault you should be alright as far as insurance goes.

[quote name='drgnasdt']Thanks... luckily it was a minor impact (I managed to accelerate and swerve out of the way just in time - the woman was making an illegal U turn on a two way street), but there goes my driving privileges for the rest of my summer. And it was the first accident my dad's car has ever gotten into.... #-o[/quote]

I remember my first accident, turned onto the main road but didn't notice the black jeep with no headlights on passing right in front of me. Busted a headlight and damn near tore off the bumper of my mom's car. The jeep of course had the tiniest scratch on the door and that was it. That one was more my fault than theirs because even though they didn't have headlights on at 9pm, I still should've seen a vehicle passing in front of me.

[quote name='io']

Oh, I also got 2 copies of The Bigs for free from Target as the Electronics guy scanned the coupons for me after telling me they wouldn't work (because the games were $7.48, not because they were expired). I'll have to sort out the BB vs GS trade-in on those, though I may actually keep one. I haven't played any Baseball games except for that NES one (RBI Baseball maybe?), Wii Sports, and Mario Superstar Baseball for the GC.[/quote]

So the coupon is still in the system?? The only caveat would be the expiration? IO, correct me if I am wrong...

[quote name='PATWRIK']So the coupon is still in the system?? The only caveat would be the expiration? IO, correct me if I am wrong...[/QUOTE]

Indeed - worked in the evening on 6/17 in any case.

As for TIV on The Bigs, it seems a lot of people asked for it but no one ever posted it. I guess I'll find out tomorrow but it is probably no better than $12 (Wiki quote from May). So I'm probably better off bringing it to GS for the $7 + bonus.

[quote name='PATWRIK']So the coupon is still in the system?? The only caveat would be the expiration? IO, correct me if I am wrong...[/quote]

Worked on monday for me to get 2 free copies of COD2... I also got the "it wont work because its under $10 spiel, but I asked nicely if she could scan it anyways and "show me what she was talking about" and she scanned it and bam it worked so she put it through.

All I can find around here is COD2's though. Sucks.

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']

All I can find around here is COD2's though. Sucks.[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah, that's the problem. There are pretty much no semi-cheap 360 clearance games any more. Well, I did also find Viva Pinata and PGR 4 but they were still $20.98 and $19.98 - thus still not worth it even after the coupon. That American Idol game is still $34.98 and not selling one bit at that price. And CoD2 is still $13.98 everywhere here. I got one for $4 before that I'm probably going to return soon as I have no interest in it and it's not a good flip. I was quite shocked to see The Bigs at this store because they didn't have it at any price just last week. It was locked in the case so I thought I was out of luck - I was sure the Electronics guy would never take the coupons. I tried asking if I could take them up front since they were clearance, but no, he sticks to his "if it's in the case, I need to sell it" spiel which is BS since they have a full aisle of $9.99 - $29.99 games out in the open and these were $7.48 clearance items... But whatever, it worked in the end, though I couldn't combine the $5 off coupon as well because I didn't throw in enough other items to make the total over $25 (I did throw a few in so it wasn't completely free though - still don't have the nerve to do that ;)).

My BB just had Blacksite Area 51 used for 2.99...or at least thats what the sticker said on it......
They didn't hook me up with the lower price :(, "the weed of crime bears bitter fruit blockbuster!"

[quote name='io']Well, yeah, that's the problem. There are pretty much no semi-cheap 360 clearance games any more. Well, I did also find Viva Pinata and PGR 4 but they were still $20.98 and $19.98 - thus still not worth it even after the coupon. That American Idol game is still $34.98 and not selling one bit at that price. And CoD2 is still $13.98 everywhere here. I got one for $4 before that I'm probably going to return soon as I have no interest in it and it's not a good flip. I was quite shocked to see The Bigs at this store because they didn't have it at any price just last week. It was locked in the case so I thought I was out of luck - I was sure the Electronics guy would never take the coupons. I tried asking if I could take them up front since they were clearance, but no, he sticks to his "if it's in the case, I need to sell it" spiel which is BS since they have a full aisle of $9.99 - $29.99 games out in the open and these were $7.48 clearance items... But whatever, it worked in the end, though I couldn't combine the $5 off coupon as well because I didn't throw in enough other items to make the total over $25 (I did throw a few in so it wasn't completely free though - still don't have the nerve to do that ;)).[/quote]

Yeah I have only found 1 Viva Pinata at $13.98 (about $4 after coupon) and then a bunch of COD2's. They was one at $13.98 that I picked up with VP and traded to GS. Then on Monday I found 2 COD2's at $9.98 so got them for free.

I figure if I can stumble on 2 more cheap next gen games somewhere (target, sears, kmart) then Ill be in good shape.

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']Yeah I have only found 1 Viva Pinata at $13.98 (about $4 after coupon) and then a bunch of COD2's. They was one at $13.98 that I picked up with VP and traded to GS. Then on Monday I found 2 COD2's at $9.98 so got them for free.

I figure if I can stumble on 2 more cheap next gen games somewhere (target, sears, kmart) then Ill be in good shape.[/quote]

are u still using the $10 off 360 games coupon at target?i thought that it was expired...

[quote name='judgeTurpin']are u still using the $10 off 360 games coupon at target?i thought that it was expired...[/QUOTE]

It still scans and applies automatically as of today - YMMV on the cashier accepting it since the expiration date on it is past (I did not modify the coupon to remove that and neither should anyone else).

[quote name='io']It still scans and applies automatically as of today - YMMV on the cashier accepting it since the expiration date on it is past (I did not modify the coupon to remove that and neither should anyone else).[/quote]

thanx alot...there are still quite a few clearance games in my area...i was hoping that i could still use the coupon...i should try it out....

[quote name='judgeTurpin']are u still using the $10 off 360 games coupon at target?i thought that it was expired...[/quote]

Target is notorious for not disabling coupons. Those who are big coupon shoppers for groceries and stuff like that, always take their expired coupons to Target. Particularly, Target coupons like the Xbox 360 coupon. It's likely this will continue to work for many months.

[quote name='spauldingfan']My BB just had Blacksite Area 51 used for 2.99...or at least thats what the sticker said on it......
They didn't hook me up with the lower price :(, "the weed of crime bears bitter fruit blockbuster!"[/quote]

Mine had Mana Khemia with a sticker for $2.99 and I got really excited because they had honored sticker prices for me before (though at a different location). It rang up as $35 and they wouldn't let me take it for $3 :cry:

Has everyone been trading in the normal PS3 version of Stranglehold? Any idea how much the Special Edition (or limited, I'm not sure) trades in for?

[quote name='rywateska']Has everyone been trading in the normal PS3 version of Stranglehold? Any idea how much the Special Edition (or limited, I'm not sure) trades in for?[/quote]

I think anyone who asks this question anymore should get an insta-ban.

The CE and regular editions of Stranglehold for PS3 both get the same price for trade in (and can both be bought for $17.99 used at GS). That question has been answered at least 15 times.

The funny thing is that BB charges substantially more for the CE. ???

Just beat Stranglehold (called in sick to my internship....up too late celebrating the CELTICS whohoo) great lil game and the movie is a nice bonus...but its getting flipped lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back