CAG 4.0 The CAG 4.0 Soft Launch Alpha/Beta Thread of Excitement, Feedback, and Bugs

The place for CAG 4.0 feature discussion and bug reporting.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Hi everyone, welcome to the CAG 4.0 SLAB!

Thanks for your patience while we work through upgrading one of the largest and longest running forums (20+ years) in history!
Many new features are not yet online and I'm sure the ones that are will have some problems we need to work through.

Please share feedback and bug reports here. And yes, there is a classic dark style; you can select it in the footer.

Last edited:
Since pretty much everything on the site is custom written for CAG, we're going to be rolling out the big chunks of functionality in batches so we're able to test, debug and tweak each feature to make sure everything is solid before moving onto the next one.

Batch 1 (now live)
  • Forums (with light/dark styles, also including an auto setting to reflect your OS-setting)
  • User feedback
  • Front page
  • Price tracker
  • Game pages (with a preview of new game cards)
  • CAGBot Alpha, e.g. including in-post game embeds live price evaluation
  • IGDB syncing
Batch 2
  • Lists, collections, and wish lists (using game cards)
  • Price alerts and notifications
  • Podcasts (with asynchronous chat)
  • Wiki posts
Batch 3
  • Blogs
  • New profiles
  • Game finder
  • User image galleries
Batch 4
  • Marketplace
  • Thread game tagging (with game cards)
  • Slicker interface for in-post game tagging
I'll post separate threads in this forum for specific features big enough for their own bug/discussion threads and link them in the above list. But in summary, we're looking at the following todo list before signing off on batch 1:
  • Add new retailers to the price tracker
  • Add an easier method to switch style modes from the top of the page
  • CAGBot data refresh
  • New front page post types (including received feedback, new game releases and price tracker summaries)
  • Price tracker data histories included on the game pages
  • And of course, fixing any reports issues or bugs

Last edited:
Should the post limit be only 10k characters? Tried to post the new weekly sale in the Xbox Deals thread and am over the limit. It's a relatively small sale, so it's 18,015 characters including the store URLs, but some of the bigger sales like the Black Friday one and upcoming end of year sale will be much larger.

I love the new site and look! the drop down menu with the Forums I watch and post to in 1 convenient place is awesome. ( Forgive me if that feature was there before and I didnt see it lol )

Are images we uploaded to the old galleries gone?

EDIT:
Also, is it possible to make replies quotes always expanded? Sorry if I'm missing something.

Last edited:
Are images we uploaded to the old galleries gone?

Nope! Stay tuned for galleries, we'll bring them back shortly – we wanted to keep the conversion process as simple as possible for the initial relaunch.

Feels fresh. Thank you everyone for working on this. Now I don’t have to switch to desktop mode to see how many people forgot to like my posts.

Heads up that we have quite a few duplicate price entries in the price tracker, the fix is live but it won't kick in until the next round of scans. Will post in more detail in a seperate price tracker thread shortly. (y)

I am digging the new style of the site now, and LOVE the fact that 2FA is required. /nerdtalk

EDIT - A question: Is it possible to have external links open in a new tab?

Not sure if it's just my monitor, but the color of the spoiler "button" looks the same as the background color in dark mode.
test

Also, if you have signatures on, there is no separation between the post and signature which is confusing.

Probably should look at the password minimums. I had to reset my password and wanted to find out what the minimum requirement was. Firgured trying a one character password would yell at me at tell me how many of what type of characters I needed. Nope, I reset my password to a single character. Don't worry, I already changed it.

How up to date is the price tracker, just clicked on Subnautica PS5 showing 7.98, but the lowest price on Amazon is currently 18.97+3.99 shipping for used, Like New, 24.41 for New.

1701242746641.png
1701242719009.png

I’m liking this new look for CAG. I made sure to change my password and set up the required 2FA.

Edit: Nice to see trophies have been added too.

Glad it's back!! Looks great too. Love being able to add the threads I read daily to a watchlist. The FBI watchlist I'm on is nowhere near this handy. Thanks for the awesome upgrades

I'm trying to not think about how long I've been browsing CAG and listening to the podcast.

That said, initial thoughts on the update are positive, nothing new-web I hate so far (which is rare with redesigns these days!)

I'm guessing the old "Content I Follow" page is the new "Watched (threads)" page. However, my Watched page is empty and not reflective of the previous threads I had followed. I hope those threads will come over. This message should make this thread the first in my Watched threads.

Also Shaq-Fu?

Last edited:
I seem to have lost access to my old account (redvsblue). First it wouldn’t recognize my password (which was saved in Apple passwords app, so I know it was correct) then when I tried to reset my password it told me the email address associated with my account was incorrect.

I ended up making this new one but kind of sucks to get locked out of an almost 20 year old account.

I'm guessing the old "Content I Follow" page is the new "Watched (threads)" page. However, my Watched page is empty and not reflective of the previous threads I had followed. I hope those threads will come over. This message should make this thread the first in my Watched threads.

Also Shaq-Fu?
In the Forums drop-down menu at the top of the screen, you can click "Threads with your posts" and go into those threads and add them to your Watched threads.

In the Forums drop-down menu at the top of the screen, you can click "Threads with your posts" and go into those threads and add them to your Watched threads.
Yes, I found that as well, but what I would like is the threads that I had previously followed that I had never posted in. I can still find them at the old.CAG, but bringing them over myself would be a bit tedious.

I seem to have lost access to my old account (redvsblue). First it wouldn’t recognize my password (which was saved in Apple passwords app, so I know it was correct) then when I tried to reset my password it told me the email address associated with my account was incorrect.

I ended up making this new one but kind of sucks to get locked out of an almost 20 year old account.

Had a simular issue. The new site wouldn't recognize anything for my account til I told it to reset the password. Luckly it did remember the email address & that did the trick for me.

It also reset my username to the orignal one which hasn't been used since like 2006.

On the last version of the forum there was a way link (that was broken actually) to view the top posters on the forum (ranked by total message count).

Would be interesting to see again.

Quick question since I may have missed it, I can't get the site to load on Chrome. This a known issue or is it something that is being worked on?

One of my most used features was the inline thread preview where you could jump to the first unread post - especially useful if there was a lot of discourse. Is that something that can come back, or is there another easy way to jump to first unread? Quick marking a single thread as read is nice but not as important for me.

1701279832369.png

We I'm guessing the old "Content I Follow" page is the new "Watched (threads)" page. However, my Watched page is empty and not reflective of the previous threads I had followed. I hope those threads will come over. This message should make this thread the first in my Watched threads.

Also Shaq-Fu?
fuck @WhipSmartBanky may need to upzoot this…

just pm me or email me Cheapyd/gmail

I'm currently using chrome. Do you have the www. explicitly included in the URL?
https://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/video-game-deals.2196/
Yea tried again, still can't hit it. Also tried after clearing cache and in a fresh browser. Also tried in incognito. Same result.

That link you posted works for some reason though, not sure why and after using that link I can now hit the site on Chrome. Very weird but whatever it works now so thank you haha.

Last edited:
Is there going to be a way to jump to the last page of a thread from a board like the old site? Currently I have to click on a thread and scroll to the bottom of the first page to get to the option to jump to the last page.

How do we redirect to the latest unread post in threads now? Old boards had a very obscure way to 'go to latest post' button but now appears to be completely removed. Not sure how we can catch up on threads other than memory.

EDIT: Found it, but it requires an extra step to click the thread, then 'jump to new'. Any way to add this back to the main thread sorting?

Is there going to be a way to jump to the last page of a thread from a board like the old site? Currently I have to click on a thread and scroll to the bottom of the first page to get to the option to jump to the last page.
I think for this you just click on the date to the right of a thread title (the last column).

Is the only way to filter threads via 'New Posts' by watching them now? We used to be able to filter by forum categories and I have no interest having to scroll past trade forum posts. Maybe a way to just flip them to off via preferences?

bread's done
Back