CAG 4.0 The CAG 4.0 Soft Launch Alpha/Beta Thread of Excitement, Feedback, and Bugs

The place for CAG 4.0 feature discussion and bug reporting.
Is the only way to filter threads via 'New Posts' by watching them now? We used to be able to filter by forum categories and I have no interest having to scroll past trade forum posts. Maybe a way to just flip them to off via preferences?

Just click the "Watch" button on the forums you want to follow and the you can used the watched forums function in the forums drop down.
I think activity in those forums will also appear in your news feed

Last edited:
Did the max posts per page just change? Reloaded the last page in a thread and ended up about half way through. Same thing in a different thread. Don't see a posts per page setting in preferences. Was at 100, appears to be 50 now.

Quick question since I may have missed it, I can't get the site to load on Chrome. This a known issue or is it something that is being worked on?
Interestingly, I can't get the site to work on anything EXCEPT Chrome. I use Waterfox on my desktop and Dolphin on my Android. Doesn't matter whether I'm going through my cable internet service or my mobile provider, the site gives me a "Web server is down - Error code 521" message on my preferred browsers. But the moment I switch over to Chrome on either my desktop or phone and it works. :(

Did the max posts per page just change? Reloaded the last page in a thread and ended up about half way through. Same thing in a different thread. Don't see a posts per page setting in preferences. Was at 100, appears to be 50 now.
Scroll up literally one post.

If you hover over someone's username, a window pops up and in the bottom of that window is "START CONVERSATION."
I think the fact that this is a new account means I might not have access, the only option I have when I do that is to follow.

Scroll up literally one post.
I saw that, but I wasn't sure what you meant by 50 being "the move".

Also, in the Xbox Deals thread, in the second post I have the list of potential Game Pass departure dates with items indented just using spaces. That list carried over from the old forums almost identically (there appears to be some stray line breaks, easy enough to clean up), but if I try to edit it and preview, the leading spaces on a line are ignored. Looks like there's some INDENT markup, don't know if that was available before. I can update my script to generate the list using INDENTs, but wasn't sure if ignoring leading spaces was intended, or maybe just a side effect of a new version of BBCode.

I think for this you just click on the date to the right of a thread title (the last column).
That seems to take you to the very last post, regardless of it being read or not, and doesn't consider all the other unread posts, if any. Yeah, being able to do this previously in one click from the list of threads was nice.

Also, I don't know how it is for others, but for me (on desktop), the bolded thread title indicating new posts just does not stand out as well as it used to. It also had the side bullet/star indicator which helped too. Could I suggest using that previous (or similar) formatting, or putting that nice new green color to use? Green-bold for unread and orange-NO-bold for read? Don't know how it wold look to color blind people, so the formatting change is probably the better fix.

Also fuck!

Is it just me or does the notification bell not update unless you click it/load a new page?

I used to keep a page open in the background when I was on the computer and I could quickly glance at the old bell to see if any watched threads had new posts, as it would indicate something new as it happens. Now it seems as though it never shows anything new unless I click it.

Sorry if anyone else has mentioned this, but the 2FA was mandatory for me when I reset my password. Not a big deal, except on both mobile & my home computer, I keep getting automatically signed out. It makes me do the 2FA each time, even though the box is checked that says I won't have to do this for 30 days. Then, when I get the notification, I always get 2 different codes sent. Is this a known issue or is there an option my stupid ass is missing?

Wher'ed the DVD/movie deal section go?
Other Deals
Sorry if anyone else has mentioned this, but the 2FA was mandatory for me when I reset my password. Not a big deal, except on both mobile & my home computer, I keep getting automatically signed out. It makes me do the 2FA each time, even though the box is checked that says I won't have to do this for 30 days. Then, when I get the notification, I always get 2 different codes sent. Is this a known issue or is there an option my stupid ass is missing?
Hmmm I had turned off mandatory 2FA for all regular users earlier today. Is it still asking you for it?

That seems to take you to the very last post, regardless of it being read or not, and doesn't consider all the other unread posts, if any. Yeah, being able to do this previously in one click from the list of threads was nice.

Also, I don't know how it is for others, but for me (on desktop), the bolded thread title indicating new posts just does not stand out as well as it used to. It also had the side bullet/star indicator which helped too. Could I suggest using that previous (or similar) formatting, or putting that nice new green color to use? Green-bold for unread and orange-NO-bold for read? Don't know how it wold look to color blind people, so the formatting change is probably the better fix.

Also fuck!
Clicking on a bold thread title is what jumps you to the first unread post.

Clicking on a bold thread title is what jumps you to the first unread post.
Thanks! I don't know why, but I did figure that out earlier (by accident just clicking around to get a feel for things), then completely forgot about it later (likely because it was brought up by @Jodou and it seems a bit unusual given how it didn't work that way in CAG 3.0). I guess the question now is: how do you get to the OP of a thread that has new posts, without multiple clicks? And the answer to that is by clicking on the thread's start date.

I wish it was a little easier to get but if anyone needs these for bookmarking

Appending
Code:
/unread
to a bookmark takes you to latest unread (Can only get this when there is actually something unread?)

Appending
Code:
/latest
to a bookmark takes you to the most recent post (Click on the timestamp)

Anywho, looks good for my needs other than that!

I'm currently using chrome. Do you have the www. explicitly included in the URL?
https://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/video-game-deals.2196/

Well, this post helped me figure out the problem I was having. For me, the issue isn't the "www", it's the fact that attempting to go to the site using the standard http:// protocol will give the "Web server is down - Error code 521" error. You have to explicitly use the https:// protocol instead. All the bookmarks I had in my main browsers used the standard protocol, whereas every time I came to the site in Chrome, it was via a Google Search, which sent me here using https://

As a 20 year member of CAG, I’m making this my 3,000th post:

Love the dedication to this community and the revamping of the forums! Congrats on this continued investment for the 4.0 launch.
Just noticed my 20 year anniversary will be Jan 11th, I have a few less posts... So many hours of CAGcasts though

Well, this post helped me figure out the problem I was having. For me, the issue isn't the "www", it's the fact that attempting to go to the site using the standard http:// protocol will give the "Web server is down - Error code 521" error. You have to explicitly use the https:// protocol instead. All the bookmarks I had in my main browsers used the standard protocol, whereas every time I came to the site in Chrome, it was via a Google Search, which sent me here using https://
Same issue here. Was just typing "cheapassgamer.com" and getting that error. "https://www." worked for me.

Same issue here. Was just typing "cheapassgamer.com" and getting that error. "https://www." worked for me.
John is fixing this so you wont have to worry about that in the future.

Forgive me if this has been named elsewhere, but the only thing that's missing in terms of functionality is the ability to set the # of replies being loaded in a thread as individual pages. It was really handy for threads with hundreds of posts to limit page view to only 10 or 20 posts and then scroll through them. The buttons to get to newest posts work fine but it's not as intuitive or obvious how to jump 10 posts back etc, especially when using the mobile layout. If this functionality is restored, then I'll have no complaints about 4.0.

Also, as a long-time user (despite only posting in small number of threads), I think the new site looks great and appreciate the time and effort that has gone into upkeep!

How do we redirect to the latest unread post in threads now? Old boards had a very obscure way to 'go to latest post' button but now appears to be completely removed. Not sure how we can catch up on threads other than memory.

EDIT: Found it, but it requires an extra step to click the thread, then 'jump to new'. Any way to add this back to the main thread sorting?
To follow this up, maybe it was just first day cache/cookies but it appears now either through watching forums and filtering, or just pure site functionality that clicking links to threads automatically takes me to the latest unread post. No other feedback other than loving the new site!

The desktop site now behaves like the old mobile where you load into the thread to the first unread post and then all the embedded Twitter links expand and push that post further down the page, so you now have to scroll down to get back to where you're trying to go. Is that something that can be fixed to work like before where the embeds don't affect your spot on the page?

On the topic of site changes, I just want to say that it's been three years since the PS5 came out, I think it's about time we get a : ps5: smiley like the :ps2: , :ps3: and :ps4: ones.

Please?

;)

Not sure how ads are chosen, but on mobile in the last 3-4 days, I’ve had the browser hijacked multiple times that tried to send me to other sites. Never had this happen on the old site; not really a good look imo

How do I get rid of the unread message count on the top of the forum?

1701547436702.png

Nothing I do makes the number go lower, selecting all as "read" doesn't seem to work.

Edit: Oh, guess the site decided my very earliest messages were unread for some reason. I had to manually choose to show them only, then I could mark them as read. Bleh.

You wanna know the most useless page since the upgrade? The landing page. Talk about nothing I want to see...

I know at some point we'll get used to it like we have previously but that landing page is just... garbage. I immediately click over because it has NOTHING I need
I’ll add some pictures of your mom so you can jerk off.

I mean, if you want to talk about useless things, your comment is going to be at the top of the list.

How do I get rid of the unread message count on the top of the forum?

View attachment 49

Nothing I do makes the number go lower, selecting all as "read" doesn't seem to work.

Edit: Oh, guess the site decided my very earliest messages were unread for some reason. I had to manually choose to show them only, then I could mark them as read. Bleh.
The fast way to do this is to use the filter in the top right to "show unread' and then use the "Selected" button below it to select all the messages on that page. Not as fast as a "mark all as read", but not too bad.

Is there going to be a functional RSS feed?

This may be just a quality of life thing, and not sure if y'all controlled it or it was just some serendipity that I lucked into for a while, but when I used to click on a forum on my phone, it would always load it to the most recent/newest post.

Now, it always loads on the first post, and I have to scroll down to the bottom to go to the page select and go to the last page and then scroll to the end of that page to see the newest post.

Anywho, I'm probably just not using y'all's features right, but I appreciate any insight and thank you for all the work y'all have done.

EDIT: I did what someone was saying and clicked on person that last posted (like me in this forum), and it took me to the last post. But, I didn't see that on my phone...until I turned it to landscape. Then, I could do it. So, that works, I guess.

In the previous iteration of the mobile, it would automatically go to the end just by clicking on the forum itself. But, now that I can do this, that's suficiente, I suppose. Well, thanks again, and sorry for hijacking the board...and the long-windedness. Take care, folks.

Last edited:
The only thing I've encountered is that the limit on pictures in a post is now 50, I don't think there was a limit before or the symbols for hardware ( :ps3::pc: etc) didn't count toward that. The yearly completed games thread often has a lot of symbols for the games beat, would be nice to allow more if possible. Couldn't update my current post for this year since I was hitting the limit, or maybe just need to remove the older lists I have in the spoilers.

I can't get over how awesome the front page redesign looks now. With the push button and dual feed for insta-linking to product sales.

Here I was worried that CAG was left for dead, or no longer being maintained bc of the languishing months-old feed on the front page. Really nice job on the site overhaul.

Last edited:
The only thing I've encountered is that the limit on pictures in a post is now 50, I don't think there was a limit before or the symbols for hardware ( :ps3::pc: etc) didn't count toward that. The yearly completed games thread often has a lot of symbols for the games beat, would be nice to allow more if possible. Couldn't update my current post for this year since I was hitting the limit, or maybe just need to remove the older lists I have in the spoilers.
Fixed, hopefully.

Yes, the CAG deals last three items are 1 from November and 2 from August. The video game deals feed does not work at all. Will these be updated at some point to function?

I was just using a site that converted Twitter to an RSS feed until Elon killed that, so I have done without for a while now.

bread's done
Back