The Civil War Comic Book Discussion Thread

Wow. I had no idea Pride of Baghdad was so amazing. It's beyond safe to say that Brian K. Vaughan is my favorite current comic author. That was seriously an amazing story.

In other comic related new, my friend up at college gave me my Christmas present from her yesterday. It's a painting of Captain America that she did. It's seriously amazing. If my digital camera was working, I'd show it off.

Anyone else read Civil War: The Return yet?

They bring back an important character, way out of left field. The book itself is horrible, but I'd say pick it up (or leaf through) just to find out who I'm talking about.

The Return was pretty weak. Yeah way out of left field characher, but isn't anything sacred anymore.
Not sure how I felt about Punisher War Journal Number 3, kind of confused or didn't see the point of the story.

I'm considering dropping everything Civil War related, considering the crap-fest its been lately.

On the DC side, Checkmate 10 was up to par, but I could see DC canceling it, since I hardly see anyone else buying it at my local shop.

With Civil War destroying the books Marvel puts out, and most of DC's books petering out after the OYL push, I'm really getting bored. Luckily I just got the entire Transmetropolitan collection, so I'm not without things to read.

I think that the return of this character would have been better used instead of the Thor clone. That would have been more shocking and made this character's return a bit more believable. Also, can you image the stories that could be told if the death of hero was at the hands of a beloved character.

Boo to Marvel!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I got the impression that he wouldn't be around to stay.[/QUOTE]

The blurb at the end of the story has "us" looking out for issue #1 coming out soon.

[quote name='Dante Devil']The blurb at the end of the story has "us" looking out for issue #1 coming out soon.[/QUOTE]

I guess I missed that, maybe its a mini?

I dunno, it was a throwaway story to me cause I never have really cared about Captain Marvel or The Sentry so both stories were just kinda "blah" to me. The Sentry's story was just plain dumb, I think Marvel assumes we care about The Sentry more than we actually do. I know I could care less why he joined the pro-registration side. If I had followed Captain Marvel I'd probably be pissed about it cause, judging by the flashback, he really went out with some class.

Most people (not that I know cause I never read anything with Captain Marvel) say that the best Captain Marvel story ever was the one where he died, so I can imagine them bringing him back is a little annoying. However, I will admit I liked it a little more with the time traveling aspect. And I liked The Sentry's backup story. Sure, it wasn't the best thing ever, but it still was pretty entertaining to see him absolutely annhilate The Absorbing Man.

Amazing... apparently nobody is sacred in the world of Marvel, and they will find a loophole to always bring back whoever they want when they feel like it. It makes these Marvel "deaths" always feel retarded because who knows if that person will ever stay dead (hint: at this point, they probably never will).

I went and read some other sites to see who they brought back and I was floored by who it was... but I can't I'm surprised, didn't he just kind of randomly show up in the PSP version of Marvel Ultimate Alliance? That makes a bit more sense now.

[quote name='Roufuss']Amazing... apparently nobody is sacred in the world of Marvel, and they will find a loophole to always bring back whoever they want when they feel like it. It makes these Marvel "deaths" always feel retarded because who knows if that person will ever stay dead (hint: at this point, they probably never will).

I went and read some other sites to see who they brought back and I was floored by who it was... but I can't I'm surprised, didn't he just kind of randomly show up in the PSP version of Marvel Ultimate Alliance? That makes a bit more sense now.[/QUOTE]

Gwen Stacy seems to be.

Beast for the Ultimate Marvel Universe.

Jean Grey, even though she has only been dead a couple years, doesn't look like she'll be coming back anytime soon.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Gwen Stacy seems to be.

Jean Grey, even though she has only been dead a couple years, doesn't look like she'll be coming back anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

IIRC, they had the Gwen Stacy "clone" come back years ago. Believe me, some writer one day will have Gwen Stacy come back somehow. If they had Peter's parents come back... :roll:

And hell, maybe in 25 years Jean Grey will come back. Nothing is off limits anymore it seems.

Jean Grey, even though she has only been dead a couple years, doesn't look like she'll be coming back anytime soon.[/quote]

Well, things might change for Beast in Ultimate Marvel. The solicitation for 81 seems to show that Hank is back somehow. Then again, they tried to play on the idea that Peter Parker's dad lived in Ultimate Spider-Man and we saw how that ended.

As for deaths, I know of one that they seem to want to keep real and not bring back: Goliath. That was why they picked a character who wasn't a major Marvel character to kill in Civil War, so they could keep him dead to make Clor's blow that much more real.

[quote name='vrs1650']fuck if they are bringing back dead characters, where is my Hawkeye. He would be great for Civil War.[/quote]

Hawkeye did come back. Didn't you read New Avengers 26 about where Hawkeye and Wanda have been since the end of House of M?
Wanda is living in the Wundagorf Mountains or however it's spelled. Clint went trying to find Wanda to find out why she killed him twice. Clint found her and found out she had lost all of her memories or that she had purposely erased them so he didn't have to remember. They ended up having sex and then Clint left.
I personally loved it cause Alex Maleev is such an amazing artist, plus I love Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye.

Jean Grey, even though she has only been dead a couple years, doesn't look like she'll be coming back anytime soon.[/QUOTE]
Whedon has been hinting at bringing Jean back for his entire Astonishing run. Isn't she still alive though? Did I miss something?

In Phoenix: Endsong, the ending was somewhat confusing. Did Cyclops kill Jean? Did she just leave to explore the cosmos? I always assumed that (from their conversation at the end) she just went off into space. Was Cyclops's blast at the end what did her in?

Anyways, Gwen was cloned and brought back, Beast is back in 3 issues...

Uncle Ben brought back from HoM, Brubaker brought back Bucky...

Are there any other deaths that need to be reversed? Lets bring back Karen in DD!

Uncle Ben being brought back for one short storyline doesn't really count...

We'll see if Joss Whedon actually gets his way about that. They've been pretty dead set about not bringing her back BUT Joss is one of their hottest writers right now so he may just have the pull to do it. Isn't his run on Astonishing almost over though? I thought it ended with issue 24?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Uncle Ben being brought back for one short storyline doesn't really count...

We'll see if Joss Whedon actually gets his way about that. They've been pretty dead set about not bringing her back BUT Joss is one of their hottest writers right now so he may just have the pull to do it. Isn't his run on Astonishing almost over though? I thought it ended with issue 24?[/quote]

I'm 99% sure Unstoppable is his last arc, though I wanna say they may have added an extra issue to Unstoppable.

[quote name='karsh']
As for deaths, I know of one that they seem to want to keep real and not bring back: Goliath. That was why they picked a character who wasn't a major Marvel character to kill in Civil War, so they could keep him dead to make Clor's blow that much more real.[/QUOTE]

Give it time... he'll come back.

Remember when Colossus supposedly "died" to make us feel the effects of the legacy virus? He ended up coming back too after a few years and most of us had forgotten about it.

I just read how they brought back Colossus on the Wikipedia, and what a fucking stupid storyline.

[quote name='Roufuss']Give it time... he'll come back.

Remember when Colossus supposedly "died" to make us feel the effects of the legacy virus? He ended up coming back too after a few years and most of us had forgotten about it.

I just read how they brought back Colossus on the Wikipedia, and what a fucking stupid storyline.[/quote]

First, they most likely will NEVER bring Bill Foster back because for the most part no one KNOWS who the fuck Bill Foster is. I honestly had never heard of him until he showed up in Civil War and died.

As for Colossus, I personally love him being back. Astonishing bringing him back was great, especially with the current arc being all about him and his role in Breakworld.

Does any know if there is a book club (kind of like Columbia House CD club) that offers graphic novels? I found the science fiction book club and they offered a few items, but I want to build my trade paperback library.

[quote name='Dante Devil']Does any know if there is a book club (kind of like Columbia House CD club) that offers graphic novels? I found the science fiction book club and they offered a few items, but I want to build my trade paperback library.[/quote]

I wish. If you find one, let me know! If only we had a Video Game Club and a Graphic Novel/Hardcover/TPB Club that would be the perfect world.

It's gonna be a sad day when Titans East ends and Geoff Johns and Tony Daniels leave Teen Titans. Titans East part 1 was absolutely amazing, especially since Geoff managed to explain why Cassandra Cain had been acting so weird. Easily my favorite comic this week, with X-Men right behind.

Is this worth $25?

sprgrl1icc98.jpg

It's official. I don't care WHAT others say about the lineup of the NEW New Avengers, they are officially the coolest team of Avengers I've seen in a long time. I just read NA27 and it was absolute genius. I wasn't sure if I'd like Yu's art and it was awesome. But the very last scene when the team shows up was great, and I loved the banter between the team. I have high hopes for this group.

[quote name='karsh']It's official. I don't care WHAT others say about the lineup of the NEW New Avengers, they are officially the coolest team of Avengers I've seen in a long time. I just read NA27 and it was absolute genius. I wasn't sure if I'd like Yu's art and it was awesome. But the very last scene when the team shows up was great, and I loved the banter between the team. I have high hopes for this group.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I loved New Avengers this week. Looking at the cover and remembering how little I cared about Ronin/Echo before I kind of rolled my eyes at myself for picking it up merely because I've read every other issue. By the end I was more than happy I had bought it.

I noticed in there that Spidey has moved to the black costume and in another Spider-man comic he's shown in the black costume on the cover. It kind of bugs me that there wasn't a "debut" of him switching to the black costume but I'm assuming its due to all the fudgeups in the release schedule.

I'm still anxious to know who its gonna be that dies. Its obviously gonna happen in the next issue of Civil War so I guess its not much longer that we have to wait. Unfortunately I think its gonna be Cap which is unfortunate for 2 reasons. The first is that over the course of Civil War I've gone from not caring about him in the least to actually start liking him now. The second reason is that if its someone as big as Captain America, you know they won't leave him dead. They just won't and that lessens the impact the death will have. We already have a clue as to who it won't be, given the New Avengers lineup, but still there's quite a few (aside from Cap) that it could be.

Another issue that I surprisingly enjoyed this week was X-men annual #1. I find it funny that a title that's been around over 10 years is just now getting an annual. At any rate, it was fun to see the return of
Random, Exodus, the acolytes, and SINISTER!
I really can't wait till they come back to this stuff in a later storyline cause it was a surprisingly good story and I can't wait to see it go further.

The X-men annuals stop running along with every other comic Annual in 2001. Marvel got smart and stop producing crap, I always hated buying the overpriced annuals that didn't amount to anything in the main story. I really missed the 80's annuals that impacted the ongoing story. New Avengers 24 was my favorite issue so far, but then again that's not saying anything, considering how wretched I find the previous issues. X-23 is kicking all kinds of ass though and I highly recommend everyone to pick up The Dark Tower Comic.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah I loved New Avengers this week. Looking at the cover and remembering how little I cared about Ronin/Echo before I kind of rolled my eyes at myself for picking it up merely because I've read every other issue. By the end I was more than happy I had bought it.

I noticed in there that Spidey has moved to the black costume and in another Spider-man comic he's shown in the black costume on the cover. It kind of bugs me that there wasn't a "debut" of him switching to the black costume but I'm assuming its due to all the fudgeups in the release schedule.

I'm still anxious to know who its gonna be that dies. Its obviously gonna happen in the next issue of Civil War so I guess its not much longer that we have to wait. Unfortunately I think its gonna be Cap which is unfortunate for 2 reasons. The first is that over the course of Civil War I've gone from not caring about him in the least to actually start liking him now. The second reason is that if its someone as big as Captain America, you know they won't leave him dead. They just won't and that lessens the impact the death will have. We already have a clue as to who it won't be, given the New Avengers lineup, but still there's quite a few (aside from Cap) that it could be.

Another issue that I surprisingly enjoyed this week was X-men annual #1. I find it funny that a title that's been around over 10 years is just now getting an annual. At any rate, it was fun to see the return of
Random, Exodus, the acolytes, and SINISTER!
I really can't wait till they come back to this stuff in a later storyline cause it was a surprisingly good story and I can't wait to see it go further.[/quote]

Yeah, I think both of these were supposed to be out after the debut of Spidey's black suit returning, but due to the scheduling messups, they ended up coming out before the actual debut. My friend bought FNSM just to check it out.
They did a surprisingly well done job of not spoiling anything, but I definitely caught a vibe throughout it that Aunt May dies in ASM. Pete never out and out says it, but from the way he talks about her and Uncle Ben, it seems like that's what happens.

But I definitely liked Maya a LOT more as I read New Avengers. I think it's mainly a case of we never actually got to see much of her besides the Ronin arc. Seeing her reasoning why she decided to take on the mantle of Ronin was great.

I've got a feeling the death, if there is one, at the end of Civil War will be either Reed or Sue. Sue would make more sense cause her death could really bring the sides to stop fighting. But based on the world seen in NA and FNSM, it's obvious which side wins overall, considering
Spidey in FNSM and the whole team in NA is on the run.
I still think that the new Ronin in NA is actually Cap in disguise. I don't know why, but it just seems to make sense in my mind.

Yeah, X-Men Annual was great. I remember hearing that this was going to tie-in to the big X-Men event for this year, and it looks like that whole scene at the very end is going to be how.
With how Sinister was at the end, I think it's definitely gonna involve Apocalypse somehow.

[quote name='evilomar']The X-men annuals stop running along with every other comic Annual in 2001. Marvel got smart and stop producing crap, I always hated buying the overpriced annuals that didn't amount to anything in the main story. I really missed the 80's annuals that impacted the ongoing story. New Avengers 24 was my favorite issue so far, but then again that's not saying anything, considering how wretched I find the previous issues. X-23 is kicking all kinds of ass though and I highly recommend everyone to pick up The Dark Tower Comic.[/QUOTE]

I guess I should have been more specific that I was being sarcastic about them "just now getting an annual" because I do know that they've had annuals in the past and that, despite this being X-men annual #1, it isn't actually issue #1 of the X-men annuals.

I bought into the hype with the Dark Tower but after reading the issue I was left kind of going "huh?" The way the characters talk is really odd and hard to follow. The artwork was awesome but the storyline seemed to be just kind of ok, nothing that I would really get excited over. I highly doubt I'll be keep reading it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I guess I should have been more specific that I was being sarcastic about them "just now getting an annual" because I do know that they've had annuals in the past and that, despite this being X-men annual #1, it isn't actually issue #1 of the X-men annuals.

I bought into the hype with the Dark Tower but after reading the issue I was left kind of going "huh?" The way the characters talk is really odd and hard to follow. The artwork was awesome but the storyline seemed to be just kind of ok, nothing that I would really get excited over. I highly doubt I'll be keep reading it.[/quote]

It makes a lot more sense if you've even read one book of the Dark Tower series. I've only read The Gunslinger and it really did help figure out what was going on. I absolutely loved that comic. Actually SEEING Roland's fight with Cort was great.

[quote name='karsh']It makes a lot more sense if you've even read one book of the Dark Tower series. I've only read The Gunslinger and it really did help figure out what was going on. I absolutely loved that comic. Actually SEEING Roland's fight with Cort was great.[/QUOTE]

I did read the first book of the Dark Tower series. It was quite a while ago but I remember I didn't care for it very much either. I thought that perhaps I would like it in comic book form more but obviously I was wrong.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I did read the first book of the Dark Tower series. It was quite a while ago but I remember I didn't care for it very much either. I thought that perhaps I would like it in comic book form more but obviously I was wrong.[/quote]

The first book, from everything I've read, is by far the worst of the series, as King doesn't exactly know what he's doing with the characters and just sort of goes through the motions of the book. I've heard once Roland gets his ka-tet together it's supposed to get really good really fast. I'd read more into the series if I wasn't reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman, the Anita Blake series, AND I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan all at once.

I think the series that is really surprising me the most is X-23's miniseries. I didn't like her at all back in X-Men Evolution, and I wasn't too big on her at first in New X-Men, but between Childhood's End, the arc with Nimrod, the beginning of Mercury Rising and now her miniseries, I think X-23 is one of my favorite characters in Marvel. Kind of like how I didn't think I'd like X-Factor at first but I've absolutely fallen in love with the book, mostly because the characters are just absolutely great.

Hey no props for jae lee's pencils in gunslinger? Years ago he was drawing some ground breaking stuff. i remember an old spidey/ironfist arc that was a fun read. His inhumans TPB is a must have( you got to love reed richards on politially incorrect with bill maher). I feel the art of coloring has finally caught up with some great artist, and making some look better than they are.

my first post on CAG. hi.

I love comics but where I live it is almost impossible to find any good ones. I really want to get the Civil War comics. Is there a good online site with reasonable prices where I can purchase them?

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Honestly, unless you really care about
collecting, wait for the trade.[/quote]

????? thats not collecting. i have new avengers 7 to current. i have the TPB of the first six, but i wouldnt say i have every issue. TPB are for the readers not the collecters

I used to read comic books back when I was younger, and I've been talking to a friend at work about comic books and now I'm interested in them again. The two series I am wanting to read is the Civil War and Zombies.

I've got a few questions.

If I buy this Civil War book when it comes out, will it have every Civil War issue that in it?

I have the same question for this Marvel Zombies book as well. Also, other than the cover is there any difference between the original version and this one?

Lastly, I saw a Marvel encyclopedia at Barnes and Noble and thought it was really cool. Has anyone read this Marvel encyclopedia? Is it worth getting? If not do you have a suggestion?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I greatly appreciate the help though.

[quote name='RawisJericho']I used to read comic books back when I was younger, and I've been talking to a friend at work about comic books and now I'm interested in them again. The two series I am wanting to read is the Civil War and Zombies.

If I buy this Civil War book when it comes out, will it have every Civil War issue that in it?

I have the same question for this Marvel Zombies book as well. Also, other than the cover is there any difference between the original version and this one?

Lastly, I saw a Marvel encyclopedia at Barnes and Noble and thought it was really cool. Has anyone read this Marvel encyclopedia? Is it worth getting? If not do you have a suggestion?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I greatly appreciate the help though.[/QUOTE]

The Mavel Encylopedia is okay. Its nothing current. For example, the Squadron Supereme has 2 versions. One is the old one (pre-crisis, wink, wink) and the other is JMS revamp. The encyclopedia lists one character from one universe and another character from JMS revamp. If you want to know basics of the Marvel universe, you might like it. If you're a fanboy, you might not. I like it because it is a companion piece to my DC Comics Encyclopedia. I hope that helps.

the marvel zombies mini series was great, lol fun. i loved it. i dont know about that civil war thing. ive got pretty much all the individual issues.

[quote name='IronMan2020']????? thats not collecting. i have new avengers 7 to current. i have the TPB of the first six, but i wouldnt say i have every issue. TPB are for the readers not the collecters[/quote]

That's what I meant. I dont care about collecting individual issues (although I do buy Y, Runaways and 52 everytime they come out), Im just reading for the stories. I find it MUCH easier readin them in trade form. I at least have the option of reading everything for free that I dont want to buy.

[quote name='RawisJericho']I used to read comic books back when I was younger, and I've been talking to a friend at work about comic books and now I'm interested in them again. The two series I am wanting to read is the Civil War and Zombies.

Sorry for asking so many questions, I greatly appreciate the help though.[/quote]

That CW book is the main series. There will be other trades (and The Road to Civil War already came out) with the other tie-ins.

The Mavel Zombies trade is now in its 3rd printing. Other than a new cover for each printing, the rest is the same.

i agree, spotted'. TPBs are better for the reader. its alot easier to sit with one large volume than something like 12 issues, and and if your a fast reader its annoying to unbag and bag them every few minutes. i keep a big stash under my couch for easy access, but i too prefer a TPB.

I just found a site called g-mart.com and they do comic subs. Its basically a mom and pop shop but you place your order for what you want to sub to. They bag, and board the comics then mail them out to you. Which works really well for me as I'm not always able to get to the comic shop.

So I got subs for Spawn, and Punisher which are the only comic I care about nowadays.

I find it hard to believe that Civil War really ends this week. It's been such a long journey to read through it. Can't wait to see how CW7 ends later this week.

bread's done
Back