The Dark Spire $4.99 NEW @ Gamestop

Ah well... :D

I think I'm gonna head out in a few to go pick a copy of this up.

There's a big winter storm (for this area) coming through this weekend, so this will surely keep me occupied while I stay home. :cool:

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Based on a review I read, it's really old school both in presentation and difficulty.[/QUOTE]

difficulty, yes. Presentation wise depends on if you use the old school mode or not

[quote name='fart_bubble']definitely worth the money, really fun but you do kinda need to like the dungeon crawlers to get into it.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I definitely love dungeon crawlers. When I first saw screens & video of this game, it reminded me of Shadowgate.

[quote name='thebytewasbit']Oh yeah, I definitely love dungeon crawlers. When I first saw screens & video of this game, it reminded me of Shadowgate.[/QUOTE]

then yeah, you'll really dig this game

I went a couple months ago to pick up a copy of this for me and a copy for my brother for 4.99 each (we had both recently been obsessing over Etrian Odyssey). I took it up to the counter, and the employee was all, "Would you like to save a few dollars and buy it used?" And so I walked over, grabbed the used copy, and showed him that it was 8.99.

Haven't actually gotten to the game yet, but my brother really enjoyed it.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Based on a review I read, it's really old school both in presentation and difficulty.[/QUOTE]

How's this for difficulty: At the start of the game, my tank character had only 6 HP -- but that was more than HPs of the other three in my team combined.

Fun, but punishingly difficult. How did anyone get to the end without a FAQ? Definitely worth the $5 I spent, especially if you're not put off by the concept of "grinding" -- in this game, it's a necessity.

I scored the last copy my closest GS had. It also had the original soundtrack cd. Both the game & cd were UNOPENED. For GS, this is a rarity.

I the extra buck is worth it for new, since most come with the slipcover and CD. I love the music from this game, it is great listen to in the background while working.

Can anyone tell me if this game is like Wizardry V (for SNES) or Eye of the Beholder (for SNES)?

Someone mentioned Shadowgate but I have never played that.

It certainly looks like it but I want to make sure. Those were favs of mine back in the day.

Darn....$5 isn't bad, but I don't like the difficulty warnings. I loved Orcs & Elves, but I think it's a modern, streamlined design just inspired by those older games... :whistle2:/

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']Can anyone tell me if this game is like Wizardry V (for SNES) or Eye of the Beholder (for SNES)?

Someone mentioned Shadowgate but I have never played that.

It certainly looks like it but I want to make sure. Those were favs of mine back in the day.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played Wizardry V, however I have seen multiple references to it in comparison by others online.

The game is horribly difficult. I too bought the game when it went down to $5, but after venturing into the first dungeon numerous times and dying during my first battle, I traded this one off to Goozex.

Damn, wish I had known about this before. There seems to be at least one copy in my area though, so hopefully I can snag it soon. If they have more than one, then my friends are getting some early XMas presents.

[quote name='utopianmachine']The game is horribly difficult. I too bought the game when it went down to $5, but after venturing into the first dungeon numerous times and dying during my first battle, I traded this one off to Goozex.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree that the game is quite challenging. However if it were a game that could be completed in a matter of an hour or two, then I wouldn't feel like it was worth it. That sounds strange I know. Especially considering that the game is only $5.

[quote name='pob14']I've been to about six Gamestops in the last couple of months, and none of them ever has it.[/QUOTE]

That's because it's been $4.99 for several months now. You got to jump on these things when they first drop! :)

[quote name='thebytewasbit']I haven't played Wizardry V, however I have seen multiple references to it in comparison by others online.[/QUOTE]

Excellent thank you :)

Yeah everyone will either like it or hate it mostly and a few will love it.

I got mine from gamefly for 6 bucks and I like it pretty well, reminds me of the old rpg games on commodore and whatnot.

For 5 bucks I might go pick one up for my best friends birthday in like 6 months cause at that price its being disconintued.

[quote name='Josef']That's because it's been $4.99 for several months now. You got to jump on these things when they first drop! :)[/QUOTE]

Plus it was one of the best flips to HWV/GC for a long time.

bread's done
Back