The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

[quote name='decon']They aren't added until the beginning of the month.

Points Earned for Sony Card purchases 08/04/2011
2003[/QUOTE]

Are they still separate or are they lumped in with the statement points? The last restaurant "2X bonus" points in my account were in June.

Anybody else get the latest missive?
Dear Blu-ray™ Club Member,Your Blu-ray experience will be emerging from the green room this October, revamped and ready for action! While there will no longer be a separate Blu-ray Club, you will continue to be rewarded for your loyalty as a Sony Rewards member.

Sony Rewards is your ticket to amazing Point-earning opportunities! As a current Sony Rewards member, any Points you’ve accrued are still available to you. Plus now you'll earn even more Points for doing the things you love - like going to the movies, buying Sony Blu-ray and DVD titles, and more. It will be easier than ever to register your Blu-ray Discs directly online. Plus, earn Points for every eligible disc you register, which can be redeemed for all things Sony* - from the latest electronics, to the coolest PlayStation®3 games, to once-in-a-lifetime experiences.

Visit
SonyRewards.com on October 10th as we roll out the red carpet for these new features. Get ready to make the most of Sony Rewards - the place where movie lovers get rewarded!

U GOTTA SEE THIS weekly question is dead now, so it's just bonus puzzle solutions and wish light updates for a grand total of 240 points per month. Back in the glory days of jeopardy weekend games it was over 1600. How the mighty have fallen.

[quote name='Anexanhume']U GOTTA SEE THIS weekly question is dead now, so it's just bonus puzzle solutions and wish light updates for a grand total of 240 points per month. Back in the glory days of jeopardy weekend games it was over 1600. How the mighty have fallen.[/QUOTE]

I just got the following email:

Important changes to the Purchase Credit Option

Dear Sony Rewards Member:

Effective October 8, 2011, the rate of points required when requesting a statement credit for a Sony product purchased on your Sony CardSMor PlayStation® Card is changing. We will now credit your Sony Card or PlayStation Card account at a rate of $1 for every 115 reward points deducted from your Sony Rewards account.

Want to avoid filling out Purchase Credit forms and mailing receipts? Just use your points to shop at SonyRewards.com!

• Save 10% on electronics, music & movie rewards every day in the Sony Rewards online Catalog
• Get Free Shipping on virtually anything
• Purchase any additional points for a penny each to get the item you want now
Bring Sony entertainment to your home with better pricing and less hassle by shopping through Sony Rewards online catalog!

Better, bigger changes to the Sony Rewards program are coming! Check back in October for the changes that will make your Sony experience even better.

Warm Regards,
The Sony Rewards Team

I just love how they keep saying that BIGGER and BETTER changes are coming soon, but they are only making it progressively worse.

I had banked so many points from the daily questions/puzzles/etc. for quite some time, but I'm thanking my lucky stars that I just recently used most of it all up on purchase credit. With this new change, I will probably just use up the rest of my points and be done with this card once and for all.

I got the email too, despite not having the card any more...

I canceled it back in June, and signed up with Amazon Chase instead. No forms to fill in, since it's automatically in your account each month.

I knew when they went to Capital One it was going to go downhill, but I didn't expect anything like this. They have gotten rid of or made anything worthwhile about the card horrible now. Luckily I cancelled the card and used all my points around June before they got rid of everything.

Yeah, this freaking blows. I too had a suspicion that when they went to Capital One, that the good deals and free points would be gone.

Now I have to find a new "main" credit card. I got an offer from citi (SONYcard's original bank) today that gives 10,000 bonus points, no annual fee, and 2 pts per $1 spent for the first year.

Anyone have a good card to apply for?

The only cards I know of are the Chase Freedom cards. They don't give you any special stuff, only 5% on certain stuff each quarter, and it's limited to $1,000; so the most you can make is $50 which is pretty low.

I only use the PS Card for the 3x and 5x points on movies and food, so I'll probably keep it. It just sucks that you have to now spend 1,115 to get $10 in credit.

So, with the points as they are now, you can only earn $30.80 per year without purchases. It used to be $252.20 when the jeopardy weekly tournaments were in play. And Sony would give you 500 points for the hell of it, give 100 point questionnaires, and 2500 for product registration. My how the mighty have fallen.

Well, not that it's any consolation, but we did just get a 1000 points for spending over $400 in a 3 or 4 month timespan. I had already done that so I got the points right away.

What perks does the Amazon Visa give you?

[quote name='jh6269']Well, not that it's any consolation, but we did just get a 1000 points for spending over $400 in a 3 or 4 month timespan. I had already done that so I got the points right away.

What perks does the Amazon Visa give you?[/QUOTE]

Nothing special. Typical rewards of 1% back as Amazon credit, 2% gas and dining, 3% Amazon purchases.

Okay, I'm seriously considering dumping this. However, I really want to use my points to get a Vita. I was considering whether to 1) order a Sony Style gift card now (24,000 points for a $250 gift card), and use it for the Vita when it comes out, or 2) wait until February or whenever the Vita comes out, and do a purchase credit. That second option would now use up 28,750 points for the $250. (And who knows if the program will even exist in February?)

I think I better move fast, before they screw with something else. Anybody think there's any better way to put the points toward a Vita?

I contacted Sony Rewards to see if the October 8 deadline is when we have to submit the form or when they input it into their system (which takes weeks). No response yet.

I've been wanting to cancel this card since they day I got the notice in the mail saying my card will be handle by Capital One but I didn't because I also got the offer for 10,000 points after spending $3000 before November so I'm waiting complete that 10,000 point then I will probably go to Chase Freedom if they still have that offer for $200 back after spending some certain amount or whoever has good start up offer.

Sony rewards are pretty lame nowaday. I can't think of anything to redeem at all because the stuff that I can redeem isn't what i'm interested in and the stuf I actually want is WAY overpriced. I'll probably grab Uncharted 3 with my points and some controllers/headphones.

[quote name='jh6269']Well, not that it's any consolation, but we did just get a 1000 points for spending over $400 in a 3 or 4 month timespan. I had already done that so I got the points right away.

What perks does the Amazon Visa give you?[/QUOTE]

I spend almost $300 a month. I don't get any promos like that. Were you a new card holder?

I feel the same way as many of you about Capital One and have thought of leaving. However, I like my Sony card and use it for 95% of all my purchases. In the past few years my wife and I average thousands a month on our card. I've recieved over a $1000 worth of free stuff from Sony so far.

[quote name='luan87us']I've been wanting to cancel this card since they day I got the notice in the mail saying my card will be handle by Capital One but I didn't because I also got the offer for 10,000 points after spending $3000 before November so I'm waiting complete that 10,000 point then I will probably go to Chase Freedom if they still have that offer for $200 back after spending some certain amount or whoever has good start up offer. [/QUOTE]

Interesting. Glad you said that. Will have to contact them about that.

Yeah, I "cashed out" last week. Didn't really have many points, and, there wasn't much on there I wanted. I went ahead and got the PS3 Move Sharpshooter.

My account is bascially at 0 points...and I don't use the card anymore. I have a Capital One Platinum card as my main now. Nothing special (1.25 miles per $1 spent.)

[quote name='slowdive21']I spend almost $300 a month. I don't get any promos like that. Were you a new card holder?[/QUOTE]

No, I've had the card since 2009. Here's the e-mail I got (it's over now though).

Your 1,000 bonus points are waiting! If you haven't already, sign up and use your Sony Card or PlayStation® Card from Capital One®.

Here's how it works:

Make $500 in purchases with your Sony Card or PlayStation® Card before
November 15, 2011.
Get 1,000 bonus points!? It's that easy.

Your bonus is our way of thanking you for being such a great customer. We truly appreciate your business.

Sincerely,
Sony Rewards and Capital One

Be sure to sign up before September 15, 2011!
Visit http://www.sonyrewards.com/offer5a

[quote name='horns456']I feel the same way as many of you about Capital One and have thought of leaving. However, I like my Sony card and use it for 95% of all my purchases. In the past few years my wife and I average thousands a month on our card. I've recieved over a $1000 worth of free stuff from Sony so far.

Interesting. Glad you said that. Will have to contact them about that.[/QUOTE]

I think it was a special offer for very few selective card holder. They sent it to me in the mail. Basically saying they appreciate me for sticking with them blah blah and gave me a code to enroll for the offer. Lots of people report they didn't get this offer but never know doesn't hurt to try.

On the Rewards site, if it says the item is no longer available does that mean it won't be stocked ever again? Their CS is really unhelpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Viperx116']On the Rewards site, if it says the item is no longer available does that mean it won't be stocked ever again? They're CS is really unhelpful.[/QUOTE]

It usually takes a while to come back in stock. Over a month.

[quote name='decon']I contacted Sony Rewards to see if the October 8 deadline is when we have to submit the form or when they input it into their system (which takes weeks). No response yet.[/QUOTE]

Did you happen to hear back from Sony yet? I'm wondering if I should make a purchase before Saturday (at 11:59pm) or if it's already too late.

CapitalOne has really gimped this card...all started with the government putting those watchdogs in place--now they can't make as much without all those crazy fees and interest rates.

[quote name='praetorian909']Did you happen to hear back from Sony yet? I'm wondering if I should make a purchase before Saturday (at 11:59pm) or if it's already too late.

CapitalOne has really gimped this card...all started with the government putting those watchdogs in place--now they can't make as much without all those crazy fees and interest rates.[/QUOTE]

Yes the government has no business regulating greed, because we all see how well Reaganomics / the trickle down theory works. :roll:

OnTopic. I was able to cash out all of my current points on a PS3 and they gave me 100 pts per $1 (today).

I might be done with this card....looking for a replacement. Thinking of going with a Disney one or something since I want to take the kids in a few years. Not sure how they work or if they are good.

[quote name='praetorian909']Did you happen to hear back from Sony yet? I'm wondering if I should make a purchase before Saturday (at 11:59pm) or if it's already too late.

CapitalOne has really gimped this card...all started with the government putting those watchdogs in place--now they can't make as much without all those crazy fees and interest rates.[/QUOTE]

Yes I was told by 2 different CSR. AS LONG AS THE PURCHASE is made(charged to your card) by/on October 8, 2011....it will be $1 per 100 points. After that it will be $1 per 115 points.

I just sent in my purchase credit yesterday and soon as I get it applied, cancelling the card. My Amazon Rewards Visa is arriving soon.

[quote name='nakanenui']Damn site is down. And I want to use my points, bah.[/QUOTE]
They are trying to find new ways to nerf the card even more!

Looks like they revamped the website. Runs slower and no new ways to earn points.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='decon']They are trying to find new ways to nerf the card even more!

Looks like they revamped the website. Runs slower and no new ways to earn points.[/QUOTE]

Here's how the website is changed:

Wheel of fortune

You can still get the daily 10 points (for now) by going to points plus, then clicking on wheel watchers club in the top left (or just go to http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/home/wof/). Solve puzzle as you would normally. "U GOTTA SEE THIS" is back in the menu bar, but it's still showing a question I already answered. I'm thinking this many not update.

What didn't change

The amount of bonus points for types of merchants and/or sony products from authorized retailers is unchanged.
You can still upload blu ray discs for points.
Looks like rewards available and points for each reward is largely unchanged.

What changed

You can now also upload select DVDs for points.
You can upload certain Sony pictures movie tickets (Scan or picture) for points.

So yes, they technically did add more ways, but it looks like Wheel of fortune points are eventually going to get axed given how hard they are to find. Wish list update also ins't working, so I don't know if that will continue to give points.

During the good ole days I got a PSP, multiple PSP Games, a couple CDs, a stereo receiving, Kmart giftcard, and a Sony Style giftcard which I used to get a PS2. So I'm quite happy with my haul...but, they have now made it so hard to come by points, it just seems like a waste. There are other cards out there that will get me 1-3% cashback, and the money can be spent on anything, not just Sony crap. Huge disappointment though, because it's easy to justify using "free" points to buy something off the site. With cashback, I'd be less likely to use the money on gaming or frivelous things.

Boo CapitalOne. Less Viking commercials, more customer service and rewards.

[quote name='berzirk']During the good ole days I got a PSP, multiple PSP Games, a couple CDs, a stereo receiving, Kmart giftcard, and a Sony Style giftcard which I used to get a PS2. So I'm quite happy with my haul...but, they have now made it so hard to come by points, it just seems like a waste. There are other cards out there that will get me 1-3% cashback, and the money can be spent on anything, not just Sony crap. Huge disappointment though, because it's easy to justify using "free" points to buy something off the site. With cashback, I'd be less likely to use the money on gaming or frivelous things.

Boo CapitalOne. Less Viking commercials, more customer service and rewards.[/QUOTE]

Me too I got some gaming stuff from them. And I have about 18k points right now. Trying to think what I should get and be done with this card. Anyone one know of any card with good start up offer?

[quote name='luan87us']yeah I'm waiting to see if they'll have Uncharted 3 lol. Everything is overpriced on there now. Might get me some hifi headphone.[/QUOTE]

They'll have uncharted 3. They've had all the AAA releases this Fall within one week (infamous 2, killzone 3, resistance 3)

bread's done
Back