The "Dem Boys" Briscoe Brothers Wrestling Thread

Brodus is using the Cartman technique to get himself over. The moment he debuts, he'll be more over than Austin, Hogan, and Cena combined.

I think Jericho did exactly what he wanted to do as a revamped heel, complete with douchey but sparkly jacket, I mean, come on.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Tsel']RAW is live. How did you manage to find a detailed rundown of what's going to happen?[/QUOTE]
I just Googled 1/2/ 2012 Raw results and I got about a dozen or two results with full rundowns.;)

Where I was sitting last night. Nice price too (and got it at the box office)
493545d635a711e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

Roadwarriors Doc:

1st Ave has never been a peeljoint, nor was it ever owned by Prince. He was a temporary financial backer at one point.
Grandma's/Gabby's is only as rough as the goon bouncers decide it should be.
I work across the highway from The Gym and it's a nice place
42nd and Xerxes is not "tough Minneapolis", it's more of a suburb known as Richfield that is by no means a hard neighborhood.
They showed up once at the neighborhood gas station and took pictures with some kids. I remember standing with them in front of a semi and shoulder to shoulder they were wider than a fucking Mac truck. Even though they were just there to grab some gas and snacks, they stuck around for over an hour doing pictures and autographs and were the nicest guys I've ever met with any celebrity status.

Put me firmly in the "eh" boat w/ Jericho. The YouTube video is pretty funny, sure - but his segment last night prompted me to turn on "It's Always Sunny" on Comedy Central. I saw where it was going and after awhile of it continuing, I decided to change channels.

So, for those of you praising him for "trolling" or whatever you think he's doing that's so amazing, help me understand it. I don't think it's terrible, but I don't think it's as funny and/or brilliant as some of you seem to think.

[quote name='mykevermin']Put me firmly in the "eh" boat w/ Jericho. The YouTube video is pretty funny, sure - but his segment last night prompted me to turn on "It's Always Sunny" on Comedy Central. I saw where it was going and after awhile of it continuing, I decided to change channels.

So, for those of you praising him for "trolling" or whatever you think he's doing that's so amazing, help me understand it. I don't think it's terrible, but I don't think it's as funny and/or brilliant as some of you seem to think.[/QUOTE]

What do you expect from someone who is returning on the night they return? For them to do some self promotion and mic work, maybe do an impromptu match or something. Jericho came out and got the crowd to eventually turn on him with nothing but hype work. Its different, therefore "good" in the sense that it isn't done to death/hasn't been done before.

Jericho showed up, the fans cheered for him like crazy, and in ten minutes he had them booing him without doing anything. That's the mark of a great heel, getting the fans to turn without even trying. He essentially Rickrolled an entire arena and now he can call out Punk for pandering to the crowd after all of the SES stuff turning his back on them. Where Punk is doing the "anti-establishment" against the WWE office, Jericho's playing the fans like a fiddle - a fitting metaphor for the supposed Nero who's come to end the world.

I suppose so. I'm kinda seeing what you guys are saying. It has not been done before, that is true.

There may be a reason that they haven't done 10 minutes of nearly dead air before, though. ;)

[quote name='mykevermin']There may be a reason that they haven't done 10 minutes of nearly dead air before, though. ;)[/QUOTE]
Every time I turned on the damn show on Monday nights it was mostly dead air if you ask me.:booty: A 5 minute match, 10-20 minutes of one wrestler or another yapping about this or that, another 3 minute match, another 10-15 minutes of yapping and so on.

I mean, seriously, I get it. You guys can no longer tell the 'story' you have to by actually wrestling, so you need to lead the crowd and the viewers at home by the hand and tell them what may be going on next.

[quote name='JJSP']Jericho showed up, the fans cheered for him like crazy, and in ten minutes he had them booing him without doing anything. That's the mark of a great heel, getting the fans to turn without even trying. He essentially Rickrolled an entire arena and now he can call out Punk for pandering to the crowd after all of the SES stuff turning his back on them. Where Punk is doing the "anti-establishment" against the WWE office, Jericho's playing the fans like a fiddle - a fitting metaphor for the supposed Nero who's come to end the world.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree. It takes a pro to pull off what Jericho did. Very few people in WWE could have pulled it off successfully.

I'm not WWE's "target audience" but I'll be watching next week to see how Jericho progresses his gimmick. I'm hooked.

[quote name='mykevermin']Put me firmly in the "eh" boat w/ Jericho. The YouTube video is pretty funny, sure - but his segment last night prompted me to turn on "It's Always Sunny" on Comedy Central. I saw where it was going and after awhile of it continuing, I decided to change channels.

So, for those of you praising him for "trolling" or whatever you think he's doing that's so amazing, help me understand it. I don't think it's terrible, but I don't think it's as funny and/or brilliant as some of you seem to think.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was a hilarious return, but it took forever for him to finish up his trolling. I was really tempted to turn off RAW and skip the main event. I bet a lot of casual fans probably switched over to football or another channel after about 5 minutes of Jericho not doing anything. It was a bad way to lead into the main event. WWE has had a lot of issues with maintaining viewership until the end of the show and I don't think his return help fix that.

I think that's a good point, Chase - it wasn't all Jericho that prompted me to stop watching. Them pointing out that the main event was a 6-man tag featuring, on one side, Jack Swagger and an injured Mark Henry, and I was like "nah, fuck this gimmicky shit, I'm done for the night."

If they had held off on Ziggler-Punk until then, however, I'm not sure I would have changed channels. LOVED the count-out finish on that match, however. Doesn't happen enough.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think that's a good point, Chase - it wasn't all Jericho that prompted me to stop watching. Them pointing out that the main event was a 6-man tag featuring, on one side, Jack Swagger and an injured Mark Henry, and I was like "nah, fuck this gimmicky shit, I'm done for the night."

If they had held off on Ziggler-Punk until then, however, I'm not sure I would have changed channels. LOVED the count-out finish on that match, however. Doesn't happen enough.[/QUOTE]

I guess they kept the 6-man tag for the end because of the Kane coming through the ring finish.

[quote name='lombarvm']I guess they kept the 6-man tag for the end because of the Kane coming through the ring finish.[/QUOTE]

Right. It all makes sense, largely (I don't think they'll ever bother explaining the videos for Jericho - which in hindsight look goofy as fuck). But thrown together 6-man tag match tell me, as a viewer, that they didn't spend much time thinking about it as a company. 6-man tag is very much the "aw, fuck it." option in WWE Creative. That is, they spend hours discussing the program, focusing on this one writing hurdle they can't overcome collectively. Something that just really brings it all together. Then one writer, hungry and tired from a many-hour session of blustering, blurts out, "fuck it, make it a six-man tag. i gotta fuckin pee, i want to eat my fuckin' hoagie, let's just get this shit done with goddammit. fuckin' 6-man tag." This quiets the room for a moment, and then the other writers murmer "yeah, fuck it, six-man tag" in harmony. Then it is written in stone. Or ink. Whatever they use for the script.

[quote name='mykevermin']Right. It all makes sense, largely (I don't think they'll ever bother explaining the videos for Jericho - which in hindsight look goofy as fuck). But thrown together 6-man tag match tell me, as a viewer, that they didn't spend much time thinking about it as a company. 6-man tag is very much the "aw, fuck it." option in WWE Creative. That is, they spend hours discussing the program, focusing on this one writing hurdle they can't overcome collectively. Something that just really brings it all together. Then one writer, hungry and tired from a many-hour session of blustering, blurts out, "fuck it, make it a six-man tag. i gotta fuckin pee, i want to eat my fuckin' hoagie, let's just get this shit done with goddammit. fuckin' 6-man tag." This quiets the room for a moment, and then the other writers murmer "yeah, fuck it, six-man tag" in harmony. Then it is written in stone. Or ink. Whatever they use for the script.[/QUOTE]
This sounds like the standard WWE answer for many situations that arise in their programming over the last half decade at least.:lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']Right. It all makes sense, largely (I don't think they'll ever bother explaining the videos for Jericho - which in hindsight look goofy as fuck). But thrown together 6-man tag match tell me, as a viewer, that they didn't spend much time thinking about it as a company. 6-man tag is very much the "aw, fuck it." option in WWE Creative. That is, they spend hours discussing the program, focusing on this one writing hurdle they can't overcome collectively. Something that just really brings it all together. Then one writer, hungry and tired from a many-hour session of blustering, blurts out, "fuck it, make it a six-man tag. i gotta fuckin pee, i want to eat my fuckin' hoagie, let's just get this shit done with goddammit. fuckin' 6-man tag." This quiets the room for a moment, and then the other writers murmer "yeah, fuck it, six-man tag" in harmony. Then it is written in stone. Or ink. Whatever they use for the script.[/QUOTE]

I picture a giant version of mad libs. The last line is always "______ overcomes the odds" and the answer is the only one that is always written in ink.

The video above got me thinking, what is the state of wrestling in Japan now? Has it lost popularity like wrestling has here? How many promotions can put on shows the size of the NJPW one in the video?

Myke's a genius, and IATCG is full of it considering the script wasn't done until two hours before show time.

- The script for this Monday's RAW Supershow from Memphis was not finalized until around 7pm local time.

The angle with Kane coming from under the ring was written about a week ago but officials didn't know how they would get to it until the day of the show. The six-man elimination match was put together at the last minute.

Officials wanted John Cena in the closing segment so there would be an "Indiana Jones-like" cliffhanger to end the show. The feeling was that the CM Punk segment wouldn't be exciting enough and Chris Jericho's return wouldn't be a good way to end the show.

Brodus Clay was backstage at Monday's RAW Supershow from Memphis and was scheduled to debut on TV, squashing a local wrestler. As plans changed through the day, once again Clay was bumped from the script.

WWE will be going with the storyline of Brodus being pissed at being pushed back so many times that he's even angrier than before. Officials do want to get Clay on TV as soon as possible to establish him as a monster. They wanted him to go into the Royal Rumble as one of the top big guys but it remains to be seen if he will debut before

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe...eturn_Why_Cena-Kane-Ryder_Ended_RAW_More.html

[quote name='Fatality']As plans changed through the day, once again Clay was bumped from the script.[/QUOTE]
This seems appropriate:
image.php

Punk is gonna be in Chael Sonnen's corner at Sonnen's upcoming fight on Fox. Of course.

EDIT - spoke too soon, he's just Batista-with-Pacquiao style walking out with him. He won't be in the corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just give Clay Mark Henry's "favorite to win the Rumble" spot this year. Mark doesn't need it anymore - and have him get tossed by a legit main eventer after getting 7 or 8 eliminations.

eh... i always liked the 10 guys eliminating the "big" guy in the rumble. i always thought that was more fun. that is usually how andre, big show, and big john studd went out.

I'm curious - how many of you are planning to get WWE Network day one?

- WWE is building to CM Punk hitting John Laurinaitis, and talking that it will be similar to how big it was when Steve Austin finally hit Vince McMahon with the Stunner during the Attitude era.

image.php

Orton is one of the longest contractually locked talents in WWE as his current deal doesn't expire until 2019.

I've been cable free for over two years so I am highly doubtful I would start paying for cable again just for their network.

I liked it up until 1:31. It's like they ran out of ideas. I'm okay with wrestling move and titan tron collages w/ nifty color and static filters as long as there's voiceovers as well, but once the music lyrics kicked on (pretty bitchin' cover of Seven Nation Army, btw), it kind of fell apart a bit for me.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYPieOipcKI

Here's the entire event for last year's NJPW Wrestle Kingdom V. Wrestle Kingdom VI was last night, and looks to have been a great event.

I think I'm going to start following more puro this year.[/QUOTE]

Everyone needs to watch the Prince Devitt match. The entire card is solid but Devitt puts on a show. Probably my favorite show that I watched last year.

I'll get WWE Network if it's part of my cable package.

They can entertainment themselves into financial insolvency if they think I'm going to pay a premium for it.

Back when I had cable I did entertain the idea of paying for WWE OnDemand a few times. Difference, of course, being that would pay for access to old stuff shown at my choosing. Has there been any word on if the OnDemand will disappear once the Network kicks in? It'd seem strange to keep both, but it'd also be strange to leave money on the table.

Anyway, my ultimate problem with this plan is that this is WWE. They have 24 hours of programming to toss up, but I have zero faith that filling it with older footage (or, at the very least, older footage I want to SEE) won't decrease exponentially every month this thing is on the air. When I read stuff like Piper talking about some show WWE wants to put together that's effectively Big Brother with people like Dusty Rhodes and Terry Funk, I become understandably concerned with what WWE's vision of this thing will be. Sure, the Legends Roundtables will be good, but I can see it turning quickly into WWE Home Video... a few bright spots (HBK/Bret, Stone Cold) in a sea of crap (90% of their compilations, John Morrison DVD).

Look at the current state of WWE, paying special attention to what they air. It's pretty obvious that the overall attitude at the company is that they think they know what people want, but ultimately have absolutely no idea. Really look at Raw from the past decade and tell me that this is a company that understands what it's fans, or at least the ones that would watch a Network like this (i.e., people like us), want out of WWE. There's also the revisionist history, which is a whole other can of shit.

So, yeah, I'd love there to be a channel that showed WCW, AWA, WCCC, ECW, and WWF on some infinite loop, but it's not going to be this. Maybe for a few months when they have nothing else to air, but if this thing survives a year, I guarantee they'll be 30 re-airings a day of the latest episode of '2 and a Half Santinos' or 'House of Ryder'. Extreme, sure, but I doubt anyone on here will outright think that's a ridiculous vision of the future.

WBF. XFL. WWF New York. WWE Network.

I've long thought that Vince would die in his position. Now, I'm honestly not sure. He absorbed the blows from bad business decisions with the XFL and WWF New York because WWF was doing incredible, record-setting business at the time. Now? Ratings are down. Attendence is down. PPV buys are down. When this tanks, not if, I'm damn curious to see how it plays out.

That's what's kind of scary at the moment... what happens when Vince realizes it? We're sitting at 3.00 ratings here on the lead up to WrestleMania AND WWE Network. This is classic Vince knee-jerk reaction time. What in the hell will be his grand plan to fix things?

Well, I mean, besides Twitter.

Twitter.

Twitter.

Trending.

Twitter.

Michael Cole.

Twitter.

#overcomingtheodds

It's going to be like VH1. VH1 is a station that lots of people watch, but nobody *plans* to watch.

Nobody sits down and plans to watch "the top 100 fails of all time" or whatever it was. But if you're (1) drunk, (2) high, (3) lost the remote, or (4) "there ain't shit on" and happen to be flipping channels, VH1 is an easy temporary stop.

"Oh, shit, they're playing a whole block of 1980's butt rock! Motely Crue, HAHAHA!"

Then you're watching it for 3 hours without blinking.

But you never planned on it. I can see that with WWE Network. Laying on the couch, half asleep, and you finally, halfheartedly settle on "In the Doghouse with John Morrison" (it's a pet show, natch).

What I think *we* need to do here is figure out how we can watch YouTube stuff chronologically. It's fun to go back and watch Razor Ramon pummel Tom Stone in 2 minutes, but it would be better to see his intro vignettes chronologically, to laugh at his gaudy-even-back-then outfits, and see him get pushed into the Royal Rumble title match with Bret Hart.

Is that available? I'd love to start watching WWF Superstars, Wrestling Challenge, Prime Time Wrestling (even the Bobby Heenan Show ones, ick) chronologically. Same with WCW. Can this be accomplished? Certainly the video is out there.

[quote name='007']So, yeah, I'd love there to be a channel that showed WCW, AWA, WCCC, ECW, and WWF on some infinite loop,[/QUOTE]

thestr0
?

True enough on the VH1 comparison, but is that enough to sustain the Network? VH1 is a channel that, though I hate to admit this, is so milquetoast and vapid that it appeals to EVERYONE. I'll leave VH1. My parents will leave VH1 on. One of the weirdest moments I've had was the time I was visiting my parents and we somehow ended up getting sucked into like 3 hours of 'Best One Hit Wonders of the 80s' or some equivalently shitty countdown. WWE Network has, whether they'd admit it or not, a VERY limited appeal. Think about your friends and relatives... how many of them would just get randomly sucked into anything on the WWE Network like they would VH1? Even as the target audience for something like this, I'd guess that number will be low. Very low. End of WCW ratings low.

I'm totally behind that chronological idea, but it also speaks to the problem with wrestling archives. It's the same basic issue that soap operas have... there's soooooo much of it, but we only remember the good parts. I always have that thought of 'man, I'd love to watch Nitro or Raw in order', but then I remember how much fucking filler there is. Looking at the Attitude Era, we're talking 4 hours of first run WWF programming and 5 hours of WCW per week. To me, I always ultimately think it's a good idea in theory, not practice. You'd have to be horrendously selective. That's part of the overriding issue with being a wrestling fan... we're really more fans of memories, not reality. For every Stone Cold vs. The Rock, there were 15 Hardcore Holly vs. Steve Blackman. Or Naked Mideon. Or The Oddities. Sometimes I think just letting my memories reign would just be better. I'm ranting, sorry.

That said, I'd love to have an on-demand archive that has some kind of fast-forwarding capability. Ideally, and I've told people this for years, my dream would just be to somehow be given a week to just sift through WWE's tape library. I'd probably murder someone to be able to do that.

thestr0 is good, but too perpetual. That's the downside about justin streams and whatnot. no reruns, so if you work, sleep, or have a friend, you're kinda fucked.

Point taken on the limited market appeal. More "Golf Channel" than VH1.

EDIT: I see a lot of comparisons b/w the Oprah Network and WWE - the argument being that if even Oprah can't succeed, how can WWE? I'm not sure that's an apt comparison (for a variety of reasons beyond even demographics), but is there some small bit of valid insight there?

It's a weird comparison, yeah, since there are parts that work and parts that simply don't.

Sure, these are both networks that are heralded by known entities that have a very dedicated and loyal following. That's about where the comparisons end, really, unless we want to get into the sort of 'sordid' reports of Oprah and WWE having the same general brand of hubris during the meetings with cable providers.

OWN (Oprah, not WARRRRRRRIIOOOOOOOR) is a channel that, while it has Oprah's name behind it, finds a number of analogs for it's programming already on other stations. It's not really anything new. Between stuff like HLN, Oxygen, Lifetime, etc, it's a crowded market. She didn't really offer anything new, which is what ultimately hurt her. WWE Network will be *the* wrestling network. If you want to watch pro wrestling or, uh, sports entertaining... it's WWE's channel. There's no fracturing of the brand. There's not even really a fracturing of the product. Unless you want TNA or RoH, WWE is your dealer for better or worse. So, in that sense, they do have a leg up simply because they can offer something no one else has.

Additionally, Oprah needed to fill 24 hours and needed original programming to accomplish that. WWE could start a channel and literally have archives that could run non-stop for the next decade without repeating. They want to be more than that, but the one thing that WWE has that Oprah didn't is a wealth of basically interesting stuff to air at a moment's notice. The nice part about WWE Network start-up is that, in theory, programming costs *could* be almost non-existant. Note the word 'could'. It's a fallback position, one I don't expect WWE to use.

What WWE, I think, will try to be eventually is Howard Stern. As in, if you want wrestling, you go where I tell you to go. That's what I see Vince's endgame as. If you want WWE, you'll spring for cable. Not just regular cable, but premium cable. Of course, that would involve the Network sticking around long enough to accomplish that. I guarantee that Raw and Smackdown will move when the contracts are up *if* the Network still exists. If they manage to pull that off, I'd forsee Vince getting the gumption to try and become a premium channel like HBO. Anyway, that how I vaguely think Vince sees it, but I have no factual basis for it. It just feels like the right kind of very off-base fever dream that Vince would have.

I swear I'll stop postings paragraph long stuff today eventually. Really.

[quote name='mykevermin']thestr0 is good, but too perpetual. That's the downside about justin streams and whatnot. no reruns, so if you work, sleep, or have a friend, you're kinda fucked.[/QUOTE]

Str0 Is also M.I.A. after JTV cracked down on all wrestling on the website. There is absolutely no wrestling on there. At one point, it even removed the wrestling category from the listings. All that's on there currently is some Indy fed that probably 10 people have heard of (Innovative Hybrid Wrestling.) It happened a few months back (Novemberish, I wanna say.) Afterwards, a few people tried starting their own streams, but within 48 hours, those channels were down too. At first, many thought it was just cracking down on WWE content, but people would stream ROH, TNA, MLW, Puro, etc. and would still get shut down. The only place I know of that streams WWE stuff is firstrow (if you want the link, I'l PM you) but that's a total crapshoot as to what exactly you'll get. So, yeah, you want old WWE, WWE Network is gonna be your place to be.

I work for a pretty big cable company and we got word that we will stop selling WWE Ondemand Jan 1st 2012, but we will continue to run it for existing customers until 3/31/12.. still no word if we'll have the actual channel yet or not.

bread's done
Back