The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11/11/11

[quote name='SilverT']Is there anyone here who DOESN'T like skyrim? just curious...[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you after it arrives. I did decide to try it out (PS3 version, after seeing it was available on HSN where we had some credit left) and it should be arriving by UPS later today.

Said I wouldn't buy it (see my posts about it a few pages back), but there was honestly nothing else out this fall that I was really the least bit interested in.

Batman, Meh. SR3, Meh (wasn't a big fan of the cartoonish SR2). Halo 1 Redone, Meh.

[quote name='gbpackers94']I'm 12 hrs and have literally had no glitches, bugs, freezes, or lockups. (360 by the way)[/QUOTE]

Installed or not installed? Installed = Texture Glitches

[quote name='KingBroly']Installed or not installed? Installed = Texture Glitches[/QUOTE]

Installed, but I haven't noticed anything. Are the textures up close just a little sharper?

i installed it as well, im fine with the texture not being as good as it could atm. im sure if i wanted to view it at it's best I'll just buy it for my pc when it hits bargain bin.

only glitch i encountered so far was a random encounter mage was blasting rabbits with fire out of sight but it sounded like he was standing right next to me. I lent him my axe to see what he had for lunch. Sound glitch fixed.

[quote name='Kezmer']shit, I just read a couple pages back and I think I have vampirism, everyone is telling me how horrible I look but I dont even think I fought a vampire lol[/QUOTE]

I had the same thing, every npc I passed was commenting on how terrible I looked... turns out that I had a disease, not vampirism. Go to magic -> Active Effects and see if you have any debuffs listed. All it took to fix mine was a potion to cure diseases.

[quote name='keithp']I think that most people that play RPGs are used to saving their progress manually so I don't see what the problem is. Who the hell isn't going to take 5 seconds to put down a save after a difficult fight or advancing the story or a certain amount of time has passed anyway?

And as far as I can tell the game autosaves every time you enter a new area, just like most other games. Are you spending hours in one spot?[/QUOTE]

Seriously. It's the first rule of thumb for any and every kind of RPG and Survival Horror game - manually save frequently. Common sense. Oblivion and Skyrim have the most child proof save system I've ever seen for the genre with three different ways the game can auto save your progress. People simply need to stop relying on them so much.

[quote name='Halo05']This game is glitchy as fuck. I don't know if it is as bad as New Vegas was when it launched but I think Skyrim is getting sort of a pass with the whole issue because of how pretty it is.[/QUOTE]

No game in my personal history could hold a candle to how bad launch F:NV was for the unfortunate. There were times you couldn't play for ten minutes without it randomly locking up loading save games, companions dropping into hillsides never to be seen again, quest NPC refusing to accept quest items, etc. Truly a mess. If you didn't save frequently you were playing russian roulette with an RPG.

My copy of Skyrim may be built like a tank, but I've only ran into the trademark Bethesda characters/items stuck in the environment and my first artifact quest locking up. Both were nothing a reload couldn't permanently fix. I feel for the affected and have no doubt my luck will run out eventually, but this game is a damn saint compared to New Vegas.

Textures and indoor environments be damned, this game looks fucking amazing outside. Forests in particular.

Also, don't fuck with giants. Jesus.

I've put...11 hours or so into this, just getting the Diplomatic Immunity achievement. It's a pretty solid game, glitches and bugs aside. Is it a 5/5? A 10/10? For me? No. An 8.5-9 right now. If the overworld map didn't suck complete and utter ass and the autosaving actually, you know, worked like every other game, then yeah, I'd probably give it a 9.5-10.

The game's a lot easier to get into than Oblivion. It might be because the world is smaller, you can get money more easily and they have more than 3 people doing voices, but yeah, it's a better game at almost every turn (Oblivion's map was better).

Back to Redbox for now, will get GOTY edition next year (assuming it comes out next year)

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Also, don't fuck with giants. Jesus.[/QUOTE]

Word.

Giants, Ice Wraiths, Giant Spiders and Flame Wizards are the only enemies that scare the shit out of me at the moment. Giants are tanks on crack, Wraiths will utterly destroy you in packs if you aren't properly equipped with fire magic or shouts, spiders just freak me out in general and Flame Wizards are immune to damn near everything you throw at them once they buff up with flame shields.

:cry: Fireball. F*cking. HURTS. :cry:

I was planning on curing my Werewolf state until one Rambo'd the shit out of me and Lydia toward the end of my first artifact quest. We couldn't kill him from ANY range once that shield went up. After the third reload of me carefully stealth headshotting half of them before he hero'd in I couldn't take anymore. I went f*cking postal, transformed, and literally charged his location before they knew what happened. He ate about 8 - 10 frickin' claws behind his bitch shield before death. Thank God for Fear. Lydia must have taken the reloads personally though for in the few seconds it took to kill him she massacred the mages behind me and was charging up the stairs for mop up duty. My Redguard may have to wife that one soon lol.

A Dragon killed my Lydia :( Why did they make it so my slave could die, WHY!? And why can't I get a new one?

I find it interesting that as long as you keep the game running everything stays where it is in the game world, no matter how far you travel. That allowed me to travel back and forth from her dead corpse to Whiterun to buy a house so I could store my stuff.

[quote name='KingBroly']A Dragon killed my Lydia :( Why did they make it so my slave could die, WHY!? And why can't I get a new one?

I find it interesting that as long as you keep the game running everything stays where it is in the game world, no matter how far you travel. That allowed me to travel back and forth from her dead corpse to Whiterun to buy a house so I could store my stuff.[/QUOTE]

LOL. At least she didn't die by your hand on two separate occasions. The second time was especially unsettling what with watching a slow motion arrow pierce her heart when she decided to revive behind a witch in mid-dodge. I felt terrible. I'm glad the AI is absolutely obsessed with protecting you from everything, but it becomes a liability when they Max Payne leap in front of your line of sight or block entrances and exits every other second to do so. I'm just happy she doesn't attack on enemies on sight even if her being made screws up my stealth attempts. She won't move an inch until I'm actually in danger or attacking and that is awesome.

If I didn't have her though Aela the Huntress would have certainly fulfilled that role. 100% bad ass no preservatives with a body you'd ruin in real life on top
of being a Werewolf.
Problem is I'm already a competent archer and Lydia decked out in heavy enchanted armor with Wuuthrad is a pro-bl-em. At least for elves and mages. I felt sorry for some pompous elven mages we came across that couldn't keep their mouths shut. Blah, blah, kiss our Converse, blah, blah, false accusations of banned religious worship, blah, blah, gonna kill you insolent worms now. I rolled my eyes, let them attack us and watched them make the biggest mistake of their short little lives. Once they initiated combat she Tony Jaa'd the utter shit out of them with that axe. It didn't take long for them to yield after consistent 2 - 3 strike kills but by then it was far too late.

I can't wait to play this game again later. I haven't found any light armor cool enough to replace my enchanted studded + mage hood combo for my Archer Thief. I snagged some dapper high end mage robes off of those elven clowns I mentioned that could have worked well if the hood was a little longer. Since I'm not a fan of my character's face and can't wear glasses I want a reasonable percentage obscured at all times.

Without reading through the whole thread can anyone let me know if I should or shouldn't install the game. I heard you get texture issues if you do install it which would lead me to believe the smart decision is to not install it. However I still see people commenting that they've installed it...

Don't install. The texture complaints of those that have are pretty consistent. I haven't had any serious issues with the game since launch and haven't installed.

20 hours in and now I'm a
werewolf cannibal.
fuck yeah!

Really loving the level of immersion. Especially how the guards react to my daedric mace. One would be doing his patrols then suddenly threaten me if I don't move away from them. A guard also commented on my horrible breath. I wonder why ;)

i'd rather suffer the texture complaints than run hear the disc spin more and more. hopefully they fix it down the road if not, play in the evening you won't notice the textures as much under the over of night.

Well so far I'm not impressed. Oblivion just plain looks better to me. The characters don't look right to me, they seem a lot stiffer than in oblivion and flatter somehow, like this is more Morrowind on the xbox not something just released for the PS3. When I look at flowers and whatnot they look 2D, flat. Not a fan at all of the inventory system, not really liking the map, or conversation setup either.

Sure the outdoors does look pretty, but it doesn't wow me like oblivion did. Actually feeling like getting this was a mistake...

[quote name='praxus07']Well so far I'm not impressed. Oblivion just plain looks better to me. The characters don't look right to me, they seem a lot stiffer than in oblivion and flatter somehow, like this is more Morrowind on the xbox not something just released for the PS3. When I look at flowers and whatnot they look 2D, flat. Not a fan at all of the inventory system, not really liking the map, or conversation setup either.

Sure the outdoors does look pretty, but it doesn't wow me like oblivion did. Actually feeling like getting this was a mistake...[/QUOTE]

Well you may be a first haha

I do respect your opinion though!

[quote name='praxus07']Well so far I'm not impressed. Oblivion just plain looks better to me. The characters don't look right to me, they seem a lot stiffer than in oblivion and flatter somehow, like this is more Morrowind on the xbox not something just released for the PS3. When I look at flowers and whatnot they look 2D, flat. Not a fan at all of the inventory system, not really liking the map, or conversation setup either.

Sure the outdoors does look pretty, but it doesn't wow me like oblivion did. Actually feeling like getting this was a mistake...[/QUOTE]

If you have that many complaints right off the bat then maybe it's not the game for you, but play some anyway and please report back if you've changed your mind or not on anything.

I picked this up along with Saint's Row the third today. Can't wait to jump into it. I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before. I did play Fallout 3 though.

Been playing every opportunity I can get, mostly in the 12am-4am range. The ultimate time-suck, feels like I play for 10 minutes and nearly an hour passes.

Went Thieves' Guild/Dark Brotherhood on first Oblivion playthrough, and usually go the sneaky/evil route initially, but doing something different with a Dark Elf Mage, hard-lined against any abomination.

Aside from getting stuck behind a familiar once (which I promptly killed) and getting trapped behind a rock and a treasure chest, no bugs to speak of on 360. I installed for the time-save on loading and texture issues are obvious at times, but i don't care enough. Rather save the time.

Played for about 3 hours yesterday for the first time and then I died and for some reason it reverted me back to the start (right after you get out of the cave or w/e). *sigh*

I guess I better save often then. (no autosave?)

Did anyone else burn *SPOILER* more than three beehives for the Thieves Guild mission? I sure did... Burned them to the ground... hehehehe

[quote name='ShadowSx']I guess I better save often then. (no autosave?)[/QUOTE]

Autosaves on certain things - but I'm not sure what the defaults are, as I changed them pretty early. Kept autosaving when I didn't want it to.

Can autosave when moving into a new area, on rest, and on fast-travel. Can also set it to autosave at timed-intervals, though I believe you need to enter your character screen (B on 360, I imagine O on PS3) for those to engage. Check your options.

Sorry to hear you lost so much time - sucks. Happened to me the other day. Only lost about 30 minutes, but still.

[quote name='oldboy']Did anyone else burn *SPOILER* more than three beehives for the Thieves Guild mission? I sure did... Burned them to the ground... hehehehe[/QUOTE]

Use the spoiler code next time - It's [ SPOILER ] [ /SPOILER ] without the spacing, right there on the Reply to Thread console - the smiley-face guy on the top-right giving you the "shhh"

damn Ive noticed at lvl 20 I run around and blow almost everything up then in a dungeon, pow I get destroyed. don't want to give spoilers away but
the quest in the magic school where you go search ruins, you better have lots of health potions for the Draugr Deathslayer or something, jesus christ he killed me about 29 times and I finally kited him around the room and killed him but I wasn't expecting that. Also going into the Azura's star the casters just ream me a new asshole I gave up on that for now and I am going to go back eventually, there just isnt enough room to kite and they fling every spell at you non-stop.

I haven't even done any of the main quest, probably screwed myself for getting to lvl 20 already and not fighting that first dragon, oh well. I can do side quests forever right now and love it

I was playing and I guess someone shot me with an arrow, and now its stuck to the side of my head and it won't disappear. Any tips to get it off? Kinda annoys me when I'm in 3rd person view...

[quote name='v1et r1ce']I was playing and I guess someone shot me with an arrow, and now its stuck to the side of my head and it won't disappear. Any tips to get it off? Kinda annoys me when I'm in 3rd person view...[/QUOTE]

1. Turn into a werewolf.
2. Wait a couple of hours
3. No more arrows

Having an absolute blast with this game, I find myself heading to an objective and getting sidetracked for hours in caves and other locations. I've always been a multiplayer kind of guy but this changed my mind.

Feels like a game I could play for years, making different characters and whatnot. Is it true that the loot is all randomly generated? Had one buddy tell me its not and another buddy tell me it all is.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Is it true that the loot is all randomly generated? Had one buddy tell me its not and another buddy tell me it all is.[/QUOTE]

Get some loot. Reload a save. Go get same loot. Different loot?

It's definitely randomized as I died in the early game bounty hunting and when I reloaded my save the flame staff one of the bandits had was replaced with a shitty dagger. What I'm not sure about is the rate because sometimes a single reload is enough and others you have to wait a certain amount of in-game days or physically leave then come back to change it. At least for merchant inventory. I have a feeling rarity is based on your level and it may permanently lock all dungeon loot to reflect that once you enter it.

I finally hit 10 hours into the game (9 hours 1 day and 1-2 last night - and I know, nothing on any of ya'll).

Last night I started playing and did a Companion quest - go to Riverwood to dump some of my stuff off for money and a few people are telling me I'm looking a bit sick.
Even my left hand looks funny as it looks all beat up and bloodied.
So, I rent a room for the night and sleep for 24 hours.
Next day, hand still looks horrible, some of the women folk still telling me that I look a bit sick and one of them even seems a bit afraid of me as she gives me a dirty look and starts backing away.

So, I think great - turning into a Vampire and so early in the game as well. Awesome.

Finish my quest - start another one - next thing you know
I drink some tainted blood and turn into a werewolf - going to assume that I'll have to have a different character go the way of the Vampire

this early in the game, i dont believe anyone has encountered a vampire and lived...most likely you're sickly from diseases from fighting undead or skeevers. Check your active buffs, it will most likely say rockjoint or something.

[quote name='grrouchie']Finish my quest - start another one - next thing you know
I drink some tainted blood and turn into a werewolf - going to assume that I'll have to have a different character go the way of the Vampire
[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Once you've
become a Werewolf that character is immune to Vampirism for the rest of the game regardless of whether you've cured yourself.

[quote name='grrouchie']I finally hit 10 hours into the game (9 hours 1 day and 1-2 last night - and I know, nothing on any of ya'll).

Last night I started playing and did a Companion quest - go to Riverwood to dump some of my stuff off for money and a few people are telling me I'm looking a bit sick.
Even my left hand looks funny as it looks all beat up and bloodied.
So, I rent a room for the night and sleep for 24 hours.
Next day, hand still looks horrible, some of the women folk still telling me that I look a bit sick and one of them even seems a bit afraid of me as she gives me a dirty look and starts backing away.

So, I think great - turning into a Vampire and so early in the game as well. Awesome.

Finish my quest - start another one - next thing you know
[/QUOTE]

Maybe you shouldn't have been drinking blood in the first place you sicko! :shock:

how is there "next thing you know?" unless you're not paying attention to any dialogue for a lot of things that happen in skyrim can be foreshadowed and almost expected.

[quote name='100xp']how is there "next thing you know?" unless you're not paying attention to any dialogue for a lot of things that happen in skyrim can be foreshadowed and almost expected.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he was sidetracked while on some horrible adventures :rofl:

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Maybe he was sidetracked while on some horrible adventures :rofl:[/QUOTE]

i dunno,
drinking tainted blood has never had a 100% positive outcome in any fantasy RPG, grey warden or companion
i wouldn't say sidetracked...

[quote name='ShadowSx']Played for about 3 hours yesterday for the first time and then I died and for some reason it reverted me back to the start (right after you get out of the cave or w/e). *sigh*

I guess I better save often then. (no autosave?)[/QUOTE]

It should be making 3 autosaves. Usually when you transition between areas it will create 1.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.'] I have a feeling rarity is based on your level and it may permanently lock all dungeon loot to reflect that once you enter it.[/QUOTE]

I believe this is how it is. If you reload once inside the same dungeon all the loot will be the same. I assume if you reload from a game outside of the dungeon and then enter it, it would generate new loots tables based on level.

[quote name='Kezmer']

shit, I just read a couple pages back and I think I have vampirism, everyone is telling me how horrible I look but I dont even think I fought a vampire lol[/QUOTE]

they kept saying that to me too.... i thought my character was just ugly or something.

you have a disease from fighting undead, sheevers or worse. check your active effects tab in magic...it's probably rock joint or something.

the funniest shit is when you fast travel to a new location and trigger a dragon, and your horse (WITHOUT HAVING HIS HORSE ARMOR) has the balls to run right at the dragon and try battling it. dumbest horse ever.

While I'm absolutely addicted to the game and had already put around 40 hrs. into it since launch, I have to admit it has it's problems.

Some of my main complaints include: everything feels overly simplified.... the map, the towns / cities (they just aren't deep enough, they were supposed to feel more alive than in oblivion, they really don't... you might get that one encounter when you first enter a new main city but then that's pretty much it.), NPCs/characters... they could've done more with the conversation options, you can only say like one or two things to each person, some you can't talk to at all, i just wish the dialogue was a bit deeper/more engaging.... the crafting, it's neat, but it's not deep enough for this sort of game, I want to have to work harder to get the best armor (I had a full suit of dragon scale armor at around level 20 or so... which lead to me tossing my glass armor which I had just built and fully upgraded and everything, the smithing was way too easy to max out) I feel like they missed an opportunity because it feels so close to being right but it just feels lacking. The perk system... they said it'd be somewhat like Fallout 3, it's not, fallouts was much better. the graphics... they're okay, but they are only a slight improvement on the same engine bethesda uses for every game, and it's getting a bit stale for me... the money could've been better, i feel this game could've benefitted more from a WoW copper / silver / gold sort of money.... instead it's just gold, again, it works fine but i want more depth, i want the money to be harder to earn, i want to work harder to get rich, blah.

while the game is GREAT, and I was completely hooked, there's a lot of little complaints I've had throughout it... still, I'd buy it again at launch, and will continue to buy any elder scrolls / fallout game by bethesda, because i simply cant get enough. but for me the more depth the better in bethesda rpgs

imo part of the problem i see ppl might be running into in the immersion is they seem to try and advance asap, doing things to max out skills and finding the most efficient way to smith or increase their casting etc. if perhaps you take it from a more RP standpoint you might find a more rewarding experience.

what i like about skyrim is there isnt an exp leveling system that fallout 3 had, even though you could grind out skills efficiently...if you don't have the mindset that you need to advance something to gain another perk, the game has a lot more immersion.

I dont even fast travel anymore..and while it has it's lesser moments it's been a great experience so far.

Man... this game is serious business. I grew tired of enemies plinking away at Lydia between strikes as a two-hander so I swapped her axe for the Shield of Ysgramor and sword combo until we find Red Eagle's sword. I totally underestimated how much of a knight she really is because now she's tanking multiple hostiles and shit talking in every battle. Humans are yielding while she insults them because they can't break her defense. Then she jaw jacks them with the shield and slam dunks the sword into their chests before chasing any fleeing stranglers. All of this going down while I'm standing in the middle of a war zone without a scratch laughing my ass off. Classic.

Hope they clean up the dialogue screen for followers by removing the grayed out text or bumping the important things up to the top.

I already know what our roles are, just carry my loot.

bread's done
Back