The Fandango Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's obviously irrelevant looking back, but I remember actually being pretty okay with Benoit being on WWECW. After the busts of trying to build the brand around Angle and Big Show, Benoit seemed to... fit. He was a star, but not a gigantic one (while talented, let's be fair about his actual star power), and the idea of him working with a lot of the younger guys like Punk and Morrison seemed like a really good fit. Truth be told, I think the whole Benoit situation is what ultimately kneecapped the whole endeavor... sure, it was already downhill, but then it had to survive on the back of Punk/Morrison match-ups. It sort of set the tone for the rest of WWECW, and I'll always wonder the 'what if?' of where it would have gone had we gotten a summer of Punk/Benoit matches instead. Maybe nowhere, but still.

I think the Benoit tragedy was also a little tougher because, for fans like us, we weren't just into his technical skills, but his story. The years of work, the years of toiling in WCW, the injuries, the being told he would never be 'the guy'. WM20 was such a fucking MOMENT. Him and Eddie in the ring was just... fuck it, I'll say it... it was beautiful. I was happy for them not as performers, but as people. I think that's what made the Benoit thing really hit home for me... for years, it felt like you were rooting for an actual guy, not a pro-wresting caricature. It's still hard to shake.

Just my take on it, six years later.
Pretty much sums up my perspective on it too. Well said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Benoit - I really liked the way he'd hold the title up and just run into his opponent before the match started. Yeah, crap like that happens in pretty much every sport but the fact that Benoit was generally at least a few inches shorter than whomever he was doing it to was just so... raw. Not much else to say, I miss him but given what happened, I kinda don't miss him. I dunno.

This looks like its going to Daniel Bryan's big year. The company is pushing him on Raw and Smackdown and it seems like everybody has a good word to say about him. If there is a second incarnation of Chris Benoit, it's Daniel Bryan.

“Daniel Bryan might be the most talented guy on the roster right now,” Kane said. “I think he’s the best technical wrestler we have, and he’s also one of those guys who’s been able to forge a connection with our fans. And people who are able to do that are very successful.”

I got to see Samuray Del Sol likely wrestle his last match in the indies before he heads to the big leagues. He took on Lince Dorado in one hell of a match. 

So at the Smackdown tapings tonight
Kane, Bryan, and Orton cleanly beat The Shield, which is their first team loss. It seems kinda stupid to me to give that away on free TV.

Eh,
they already lost 3-on-1 to Cena on Raw...via DQ. In doing that, they killed the "THEY'RE UNDEFEATED!" deal anyway, so this just solidifies that and works to give Bryan a further rise up the card. I'm fine with it.

Eh,
they already lost 3-on-1 to Cena on Raw...via DQ. In doing that, they killed the "THEY'RE UNDEFEATED!" deal anyway, so this just solidifies that and works to give Bryan a further rise up the card. I'm fine with it.
I was so heated that night. So heated.

Match of the Day

Golden Lovers (Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi) vs Danshoku Dino & YOSHIHIKO

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SaAMBwAMaCc
Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i1CJtVjZf4Y

Kane, Bryan, and Orton cleanly beat The Shield, which is their first team loss. It seems kinda stupid to me to give that away on free TV.
I agree with why they did it though. So they have some kind of weakness going into Payback ... only to retain all the belts.

I agree with why they did it though. So they have some kind of weakness going into Payback ... only to retain all the belts.
The Shield lost to build Daniel Bryan up. Bryan is getting a huge push leading to a title shot against Cena. Orton is going to turn heel and have a match against Bryan at MITB. When Bryan wins, he challenges Cena at Summerslam. If anyone's been watching, Bryan has been blowing up with crowds and the company has been booking him tremendously strong. The majority of the match against Rollins on RAW had Bryan thrashing him for most of the match. Bryan has never looked stronger.

After watching Raw, I've been doing some matches in games to try and replicate the overall vibe of the Bryan-Shield stuff and I finally did it. This first one is about as perfect a match as I could hope for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YtIfxpZ03I

and this a shockingly long 1-on-3 Bryan vs. THE ENTIRE SHIELD match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY0C1KBI8e8

c420fc8d6811c694c939b18405530312_1024.jpg

The Rock goes to jail to talk to youths. He's also signed on for a new G. I. Joe film.

How WWE Handles Concussions:

WWE has a new way of dealing with concussions. If a wrestler shows indications of a concussion, or is diagnosed with one, they are immediately pulled from the ring and can’t return until they pass the Impact testing. In the case of talents who have passed the test but aren’t put back in the ring to wrestle, it’s because they also have to show no signs of any post-concussion syndrome, plus be able to engage in physical contact activity without any signs of headache, fogginess or nausea. A talent must pass Impact testing, exertion tests and have one of WWE’s doctors clear them before they return.

RAW Ratings Breakdown: 

As noted before, the June 10th WWE RAW did a 3.05 rating with 3.99 million viewers, up from the previous week. In the segment breakdown, the opener with Triple H, Curtis Axel and Vince McMahon did a 3.11 quarter rating. The backstage follow-up plus Kane vs. Dean Ambrose lost 299,000 viewers. The post-match with Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns as well as a backstage segment lost 67,000 viewers. Cody Rhodes vs. The Miz gained 116,000 viewers.

The Chris Jericho interview plus Dolph Ziggler, AJ Lee and Big E Langston coming out gained 316,000 viewers in the 9pm timeslot for a 3.16 quarter rating. Jericho vs. Langston lost 185,000 viewers. Sin Cara vs. Antonio Cesaro lost 19,000 viewers. Orton vs. Reigns lost another 100,000 viewers. Rollins vs. Bryan at 10pm gained 223,000 viewers for a 3.20 quarter rating. The Bryan vs. Rollins post-match lost 62,000 viewers.

Big E being revealed as Kaitlyn’s secret admirer and AJ coming out gained 74,000 viewers. R-Truth vs. Damien Sandow lost 362,000 viewers. The overrun with Vince McMahon, Triple H and Stephanie McMahon plus the John Cena and Ryback angle gained 521,000 viewers for a 3.33 overrun rating.

Pretty decent indy show going on Sunday in Monrovia, CA as startup federation Quintessential Pro Wrestling crowns their first champion. One day tournament plus a couple of non-tourney matches. From what it seems, its run by a couple of SoCal names including Brian Kendrick and TJ Perkins.

Eddie Edwards vs Ray Rosas

Brian Cage vs TJ Perkins

B-Boy vs Kevin Steen

Joey Ryan vs Adam Thornstowe

The Young Bucks vs The RockNES Monsters

Candace LaRae vs. Cheerleader Melissa

Willie Mack vs Brian Kendrick

Looks like it could be a PWG card, which is a good thing.

Any card with Steen and The Young Bucks is worth watching, in my opinion. I'm assuming Cage-Perkins is the darkhorse match that steals the show. Cage is good, but Perkins is reliable and exceptional at what he does.

Looks like it could be a PWG card, which is a good thing.

Any card with Steen and The Young Bucks is worth watching, in my opinion. I'm assuming Cage-Perkins is the darkhorse match that steals the show. Cage is good, but Perkins is reliable and exceptional at what he does.
I'm fairly certain TJ could wrestle just about anybody and get a solid match out of them. He's almost a west coast Quackenbush - between Puma, Suicide (recently), and his own gimmick, he seems to adapt to anything.

Should be a good time - I've heard good things about Thornstowe, he's a bodybuilder turned wrestler who can actually work. Does a lot of matches in Reno and Vegas from what I've seen. He's been getting booked here in a few federations, most recently against Drake Younger in a bloody brawl.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/superstar-sketches-photos

Early concept sketches for various 90's characters. The Mankind stuff was out there before (from Foley's first book) but the rest hasn't been seen before, to my knowledge.

I love the Goldust-suit thing, but it's probably harder to pull off well in real life (he did wear a suit in one of the debut vignettes, if I remember correctly). Dustin's "Stargate" gimmick looks like it may have been reworked for Ron Simmons' debut later. The Papa Shango and Doink stuff is cool.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/superstar-sketches-photos

Early concept sketches for various 90's characters. The Mankind stuff was out there before (from Foley's first book) but the rest hasn't been seen before, to my knowledge.

I love the Goldust-suit thing, but it's probably harder to pull off well in real life (he did wear a suit in one of the debut vignettes, if I remember correctly). Dustin's "Stargate" gimmick looks like it may have been reworked for Ron Simmons' debut later. The Papa Shango and Doink stuff is cool.
The Dude Love ones seem pretty close to what they went with. Although they ditched the denim vest & went with a tie dye headband instead of a red one.

The Razor Ramon sketches look like they just took the pants and cut the leggings part off and that's what was used.

Kinda weird to see that they tried to do a biker gimmick with Shawn Michaels with those sketches.

I just received a notice from Sony via my Playstation 3 to try out their Live Events Viewer app. In doing so, they are letting me watch WWE Payback for free after which I will receive a survey to review the service.

And here I was thinking the viewer would debut on the PS4. Looking forward to this Sunday.

I just received a notice from Sony via my Playstation 3 to try out their Live Events Viewer app. In doing so, they are letting me watch WWE Payback for free after which I will receive a survey to review the service.

And here I was thinking the viewer would debut on the PS4. Looking forward to this Sunday.
Not bad. Seeing how you might have watched it on another sort of, uh, 'live event viewer', anyway? :shame:

Dammit. I wasn't planning on going to Wizard World Comic Con this year since they jacked up the prices a considerable amount, but they just announced the WWE lineup for this year. 

CM Punk, who was there last year so no big deal, Dolph Ziggler, AJ, Ricky Steamboat, and all three members of the Shield. I'm honestly surprised they went with mostly heels. I'd love to meet all of them though. Ugh...

WWE is offering a "Superstar VIP Experience Package" for their live event at Philips Arena 7/26.  It lncludes the following:

WWE Superstar VIP Experience Package
Includes:
1 Premium Ringside Seat
1 Meet & Greet and Autograph Opportunity with WWE Superstars**
1 Photo with WWE Championship Title
1 Exclusive Limited Edition WWE Event Chair
1 Exclusive WWE Snap Back Cap
1 Limited Edition Event Poster
1 Commemorative VIP Ticket Holder
Venue Parking (where applicable)
Crowd Free Merch Shopping Area
On-site VIP Concierge
**Superstars attending the Meet & Greet will vary from date to date.

The price?  $600. :O

WWE is offering a "Superstar VIP Experience Package" for their live event at Philips Arena 7/26. It lncludes the following:

WWE Superstar VIP Experience Package
Includes:
1 Premium Ringside Seat
1 Meet & Greet and Autograph Opportunity with WWE Superstars**
1 Photo with WWE Championship Title
1 Exclusive Limited Edition WWE Event Chair
1 Exclusive WWE Snap Back Cap
1 Limited Edition Event Poster
1 Commemorative VIP Ticket Holder
Venue Parking (where applicable)
Crowd Free Merch Shopping Area
On-site VIP Concierge
**Superstars attending the Meet & Greet will vary from date to date.

The price? $600. :O
So you get to meet Yoshi Tatsu, Jinder Mahal and Alicia Fox!

masked lemon has been there, done that.

ShawnMichaels2.jpg

Here we have Marty Jannety trying to jump out of a window to get away from Shawn's ego or bad fashion sense. Not sure which.....

Going to the house show in Bloomington, IL tonight....should be riveting I guess haha.  I will report on any amazing developments that may take place this evening.  I am also going to next week's Impact tapings in Peoria, 1st row VIP seats lol.  I have never even been close to the first row for any wrestling event so needless to say I am pretty damn excited for it.  I think we will get to meet Sting and gets pictures and autographs with him so that should be pretty badass.  Anyways should be a good week for me, I hardly ever get to any wrestling events in person.

Enjoy the shows. Live events are always way better than the taped shows, in my experience (RAW 1000 is excluded, though).

Enjoy the shows. Live events are always way better than the taped shows, in my experience (RAW 1000 is excluded, though).
Did you not like Raw 1000 in person? I went to that as well and I had a great time, was only disappointed that Austin couldn't be there.

Anyways I had fun at the house show last night. If I had to guess I would say there were maybe 3,000 people there or so. The sound in that building is AWFUL, whenever a video was played or someone was speaking on a mic it sounded muffled and horrible. I legit marked out twice, when the Shield's music hit (the Miz was still in the ring after his match when the Shield came out and I was really hoping they were going to beat his ass down lol) and when Jericho came out. Jericho may not be what he once was but DAMNIT IT"S CHRIS fuckIN JERICHO AND I'M MARKING OUT! My brother and I took a few pics but we weren't super close and I'm not sure if any of them are worth posting. The best match of the night was Miz vs Cesaro 2 out of 3 falls. I just still can't understand what the hell they did to Cesaro, I'm still convinced he could be a top 3 heel in the company EASILY, that guy is just so damn good. And lastly, judging by the merchandise and reaction when he came out, I'm still not convinced this entire company isn't screwed when Cena retires....they need the next "guy" to step up and quickly.

Anyways last night was really just the appetizer for this Thursday. I should be able to get some cool pics of that one. I just hope the crowd is respectable enough, the advanced ticket sales look a little slow...

Did you not like Raw 1000 in person? I went to that as well and I had a great time, was only disappointed that Austin couldn't be there.

Anyways I had fun at the house show last night. If I had to guess I would say there were maybe 3,000 people there or so. The sound in that building is AWFUL, whenever a video was played or someone was speaking on a mic it sounded muffled and horrible. I legit marked out twice, when the Shield's music hit (the Miz was still in the ring after his match when the Shield came out and I was really hoping they were going to beat his ass down lol) and when Jericho came out. Jericho may not be what he once was but DAMNIT IT"S CHRIS fuckIN JERICHO AND I'M MARKING OUT! My brother and I took a few pics but we weren't super close and I'm not sure if any of them are worth posting. The best match of the night was Miz vs Cesaro 2 out of 3 falls. I just still can't understand what the hell they did to Cesaro, I'm still convinced he could be a top 3 heel in the company EASILY, that guy is just so damn good. And lastly, judging by the merchandise and reaction when he came out, I'm still not convinced this entire company isn't screwed when Cena retires....they need the next "guy" to step up and quickly.

Anyways last night was really just the appetizer for this Thursday. I should be able to get some cool pics of that one. I just hope the crowd is respectable enough, the advanced ticket sales look a little slow...
Oh no, I had a blast at RAW 1000. I meant it was excluded from comparison since it was a "special" show.

Oh no, I had a blast at RAW 1000. I meant it was excluded from comparison since it was a "special" show.
Oh ok I gotcha. Yeah that was a fun one to go to in person for sure. That was the first time I saw The Rock, Shawn Michaels, and Bret Hart (my favorite wrestler ever) in person. Paid a lot of money and drove 3 1/2 hrs just to see them.

Oh ok I gotcha. Yeah that was a fun one to go to in person for sure. That was the first time I saw The Rock, Shawn Michaels, and Bret Hart (my favorite wrestler ever) in person. Paid a lot of money and drove 3 1/2 hrs just to see them.
Ditto. Even the Heath Slater vs. the Legends stuff was pretty cool live. Seeing APA come out was pretty awesome, I was always a fan of that gimmick. Drove 8 hours from OKC with my buddy who paid for pretty much everything... I kind of lucked out.

The Miz's figure four is a mess.

Okay so they just showed an RVD returning vignette, when did this come about? Previoulsy mentioned I just missed it?

Ziggler just lost clean. People were saying it looked like Ziggler was turning face to Del Rio's heel. But who fucking cares. What a joke. Sticking to NXT from now on.

We taking bets on how long it takes RVD to violate the wellness policy?

Great thing is, TNA can keep pushing X Division talent without RVD winning all the damn time. I think he is keeping his theme song as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back