2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a store near me that has a Prestige sign and their employees have Prestige name tags but the store doesn't come up as a Prestige store, so I'll make a trip there Saturday and hope they're still a Prestige store. If they're not, oh well it isn't too far out of the way

I have a question that I am sure has been answered but can not find. Does the guaranteed trade in credit (Sekiro $30) stack with bonus trade credit for pre-ordering certain games and/or elite pro trade bonus? Thanks.

I have a question that I am sure has been answered but can not find. Does the guaranteed trade in credit (Sekiro $30) stack with bonus trade credit for pre-ordering certain games and/or elite pro trade bonus? Thanks.
it will only stack with pro/elite membership bonus (the % bump will be from the base trade-in value). Guaranteed trade credit promo will not work in conjunction with pre-order bonus trade promo.

My Elite Pro went out last month. Anyone got a phone number I can borrow to check out in store? Might swing by for the prestige day event

I always wondered what you guys were talking about when you talk about prestige stores and prestige sales. I stumbled on one a couple of months ago. Just found out that it is the ONLY one within 50 miles of my house and only by a few miles. Wowwww...

On today's Gamescoop (Eppy 524), the crew talks about the inevitable death of pre-owned games. This comes on the heel of Gamestop posting a massive $670+million loss for the 2018 fiscal year. Damon correctly notes that Gamestop sold their mobile division last year for $700 million so this ACTUALLY means Gamestop lost over $1 billion.

In other words, Gamestop's slow demise may not really be all that slow. I think it's right to think this. Unlike Blockbuster, for example, Gamestop is not dealing with media that practically EVERYONE could use. These aren't movie dvds or blurays. These are videogames tied to the smaller audience of console gamers, and as physical games dry up (i.e., players buy digital), there is not only no inventory, but no buyers, either.

Many of us already know the writing is on the wall for Gamestop, but even so, I share in the Gamescoop crew's sadness to see the company's death on the near horizon.

Gamestop's end is coming folks. Unfortunately, probably a lot sooner than even some of us thought.

I for one will miss Gamestop. People like to hate on them, but overall, it was much better for consumers to have Gamestop around than not.

Too bad not enough people will see that until they're gone.

Damon correctly notes that Gamestop sold their mobile division last year for $700 million so this ACTUALLY means Gamestop lost over $1 billion.
Which part is correctly noted? That they sold the mobile division or that it "ACTUALLY" means they lost $1 billion? I ask because the $1 billion statement is total nonsense. Now if you said $800M I'd believe it. "Damon" should feel free to figure out why, after he studies corporate finance.

Regardless, people are quick to point out prophecies for an obviously challenged company and industry. Boutique retail is not what it used to be, and GameStop is having a damn difficult time.

However, they did reduce their debt, so I'm a lot more optimistic about them surviving.

On today's Gamescoop (Eppy 524), the crew talks about the inevitable death of pre-owned games. This comes on the heel of Gamestop posting a massive $670+million loss for the 2018 fiscal year. Damon correctly notes that Gamestop sold their mobile division last year for $700 million so this ACTUALLY means Gamestop lost over $1 billion.

In other words, Gamestop's slow demise may not really be all that slow. I think it's right to think this. Unlike Blockbuster, for example, Gamestop is not dealing with media that practically EVERYONE could use. These aren't movie dvds or blurays. These are videogames tied to the smaller audience of console gamers, and as physical games dry up (i.e., players buy digital), there is not only no inventory, but no buyers, either.

Many of us already know the writing is on the wall for Gamestop, but even so, I share in the Gamescoop crew's sadness to see the company's death on the near horizon.

Gamestop's end is coming folks. Unfortunately, probably a lot sooner than even some of us thought.

I for one will miss Gamestop. People like to hate on them, but overall, it was much better for consumers to have Gamestop around than not.

Too bad not enough people will see that until they're gone.
Which one of those guys is you?

Which part is correctly noted? That they sold the mobile division or that it "ACTUALLY" means they lost $1 billion? I ask because the $1 billion statement is total nonsense. Now if you said $800M I'd believe it. "Damon" should feel free to figure out why, after he studies corporate finance.

Regardless, people are quick to point out prophecies for an obviously challenged company and industry. Boutique retail is not what it used to be, and GameStop is having a damn difficult time.

However, they did reduce their debt, so I'm a lot more optimistic about them surviving.
Calm down chief. The correctly part was in reference to them selling the mobile division. I agree Damon doesn't quite get that right, but what he actually means to say is that if Gamestop hadn't sold that division (Spring Mobile) for $700 million, they would have reported a loss of $1 billion. It's a simple way of looking at it, but he's not that off.

Bottom line is what you said - Gamestop is having a terrible time and failing to find a way to stay relevant and profitable.

They did reduce their debt but that was expected by analysts - Gamestop has been good about doing that but that didn't do much for them in finding any serious buyers. That certainly not a good sign. May be they'll be more attractive now but probably not until they close a quarter or half their stores so they cut operating costs.

Which one of those guys is you?
Not sure what you mean by this? I enjoy Gamescoop - easily one of the best gaming podcasts out there though I also enjoy listening to Giantbomb, Giant Beastcast, Talking Reckless, Videogamer and Splitscreen.

I'm on the side of not wanting Gamestop to close. I've often mentioned here that I prefer physical media over digital. I don't buy digital at all.

That all said, I'm not delusional to think the market is going in that direction. Consumers have made it clear which one they prefer. I'll just keep supporting physical media until it either becomes too difficult to find or just unreasonably expensive.

I sometimes think PS4 may be the last console I own. Streaming services are clearly going to be the big focus next generation, and I figure the number of physical releases will slim down considerably.

Unfortunately this is what gets talked about when there are no deals. Nothing wrong with the subject, but all the speculation is boring. We need deals...bad.

This is a completely nonsensical reading of the information. It's not that hard to understand, in fact I already posted a pretty clear (IMO) explanation a few pages back (see below). Doesn't require any special knowledge or financial savvy, just an actual reading of the earnings report, rather that spouting off ignorance at the hip like Daemon (the same guy who genuinely wondered on Game Scoop who Korean American citizens would be loyal to if North Korea ever invaded the US like in Homefront Revolution... some shameful old school Japanese internment camp type racism).

The $673 million loss is not as alarming as you might think. It's from a one-time writedown ("asset impairment changes"), where assets that were overvalued at X were reevaluated to actually be worth Y.

For example, Gamestop recently sold off their Spring mobile division for $700 million. If on their books they originally estimated the value of that division to be $1.4 billion, then the sale would be recorded as a $700 million loss, even if no actual liquid cash was lost.

Think of it like you buying a painting for $10 at a garage sale, and it turns out to be a long lost Picasso worth $100 million. But your kid accidentally throws his Wii remote through the painting and rips a hole in it. You can sell it now for $50 and still make a profit from your original investment, but you didn't actually "lose" $100 million in cash (you just don't have the ability to sell it for $100 million anymore). But if you were a corporation with earnings reports, you would need to record that as a $100 million loss because you no longer have that asset on the books, at least not at that value.

Of course that's not to say that everything is roses. Pre-owned sales were still down 13% for the year, but not including the asset impairment, their normal operations were still profitable to the tune of over $200 million. So you don't have to panic spend all your trade credit just yet.

Not sure what you mean by this? I enjoy Gamescoop - easily one of the best gaming podcasts out there though I also enjoy listening to Giantbomb, Giant Beastcast, Talking Reckless, Videogamer and Splitscreen.

I'm on the side of not wanting Gamestop to close. I've often mentioned here that I prefer physical media over digital. I don't buy digital at all.

That all said, I'm not delusional to think the market is going in that direction. Consumers have made it clear which one they prefer. I'll just keep supporting physical media until it either becomes too difficult to find or just unreasonably expensive.

I sometimes think PS4 may be the last console I own. Streaming services are clearly going to be the big focus next generation, and I figure the number of physical releases will slim down considerably.
blah blah blah

blah blah blah
Sorry not everyone here aims to talk about things YOU care about all the time. toasterMekong is the kind of newbie that ruins CAG for all of us. I see all you do is live off the deals others post here with nary a contribution. Next time, before you go around criticizing folks, check out whether they actually care about the community. I do. I post deals. I like to share around here and read/respond to others' ideas. This is a message board after all and we do that around here sometimes.

The $673 million loss is not as alarming as you might think. It's from a one-time writedown ("asset impairment changes"), where assets that were overvalued at X were reevaluated to actually be worth Y.

For example, Gamestop recently sold off their Spring mobile division for $700 million. If on their books they originally estimated the value of that division to be $1.4 billion, then the sale would be recorded as a $700 million loss, even if no actual liquid cash was lost.

Think of it like you buying a painting for $10 at a garage sale, and it turns out to be a long lost Picasso worth $100 million. But your kid accidentally throws his Wii remote through the painting and rips a hole in it. You can sell it now for $50 and still make a profit from your original investment, but you didn't actually "lose" $100 million in cash (you just don't have the ability to sell it for $100 million anymore). But if you were a corporation with earnings reports, you would need to record that as a $100 million loss because you no longer have that asset on the books, at least not at that value.

Of course that's not to say that everything is roses. Pre-owned sales were still down 13% for the year, but not including the asset impairment, their normal operations were still profitable to the tune of over $200 million. So you don't have to panic spend all your trade credit just yet.
Thanks phoenixlau. I appreciate the insight here. Glad to know it's not all doom and gloom.

imo, gamestop (as a games specialty shop) will remain in business until preowned games are no longer viable.

they can diversify all they want (read = high profit margin widgets), but preowned sales are the high profit margin business that made them successful and most likely irreplaceable as far as shareholders are concerned.

could they transform into thinkgeek? sure, but the store traffic woukd plummit if they didn’t sell games.

also, the uninformed coming in for “deals” would also disappear if they only sold new games and didn’t accept trades.

the real bummer for me is that they might close a bunch of stores as leases run out...i’m a boom or bust trader that prefers to knock it out same day versus hold stock. this wouldn’t be worth it or possible if there are aren’t a bunch of stores.

has prestige day been confirmed? i have 4 prestige stores in the area (though none are my typical go to stores)

i’m trying to decide if it’s worth the drive to hold stock...

imo, gamestop (as a games specialty shop) will remain in business until preowned games are no longer viable.

they can diversify all they want (read = high profit margin widgets), but preowned sales are the high profit margin business that made them successful and most likely irreplaceable as far as shareholders are concerned.

could they transform into thinkgeek? sure, but the store traffic woukd plummit if they didn’t sell games.

also, the uninformed coming in for “deals” would also disappear if they only sold new games and didn’t accept trades.

the real bummer for me is that they might close a bunch of stores as leases run out...i’m a boom or bust trader that prefers to knock it out same day versus hold stock. this wouldn’t be worth it or possible if there are aren’t a bunch of stores.
Based on earnings report, Collectibles are doing very well, but unfortunately only make up about 10-15% of their revenue currently. I think I've probably purchased more collectibles than games at GameStop in the past year and probably traded in more games than purchased. I am curious on how the games traded vs. pre-owned sold numbers are and what the ratio is. I would imagine pre-owned sales dropping may correlate to lower trade-in values with the exception of "stealth bumps" and trade-in deals towards new games.

Hopefully the new CEO can help turn things around. Store closings would probably be a last resort outside of those that are just doing really poor on sales and cost more to keep open than what they bring in.

Ultimately, I just want them to stay open until my pre-orders come in. :pray:

has prestige day been confirmed? i have 4 prestige stores in the area (though none are my typical go to stores)

i’m trying to decide if it’s worth the drive to hold stock...
I was in a gamestop store today and one of the workers greeted me when i walked saying their store is having a prestige sale starting tomorrow.

Found this on Facebook about Prestige day:

qYwXqYr.jpg

I was going to trade in some stuff to get the +20% for pre-order. I should wait until tomorrow to get the extra 10% on prestige, correct?

I was going to trade in some stuff to get the +20% for pre-order. I should wait until tomorrow to get the extra 10% on prestige, correct?
I was going to do the same but with the dive in tiv I might just wait to see if it goes back up after prestige day. Kingdom hearts 3 dropped about 22% in value. Giving an effective increase of 8% boost on prestige day as opposed to the original 20%. This is all assuming the tiv goes back up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was going to do the same but with the dive in tiv I might just wait to see if it goes back up after prestige day. Kingdom hearts 3 dropped about 22% in value. Giving an effective increase of 8% boost on prestige day as opposed to the original 20%. This is all assuming the tiv goes back up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
My TIV were the same yesterday as today according to the app. SO I'll probably go for it

Looks like last weekend's trip to GS is going to be traded back in DMC5, DIV 2 and Sekiro... if the 50% is true

50 percent likely means “up to” 50 percent. Meaning elite would be 30 percent beyond the normal 20 percent
Maybe, but with elite no longer obtainable it seems strange to advertise something people can't get even if they wanted to...

But this is GameStop we're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back