2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
So where do all these "tech trades" get reported? Pre-owned hardware? Can't see how they plan to become a big player in that market... or if it will even exist with how disposable our phone habits are these days.
So I had your same question.

Apparently they get offed to "Asian Countries", where they get cannibalized to make new phones. Doesn't that make you happy on your next phone purchase, reconstructed, made in .. lets call it out .. China.

Bad China trade deals :(

So I had your same question.

Apparently they get offed to "Asian Countries", where they get cannibalized to make new phones. Doesn't that make you happy on your next phone purchase, reconstructed, made in .. lets call it out .. China.

"HC" is quite a loser .. a nice mouth though.
Kind of ironic they are flipping stuff from chumps like us! haha

I don't see why anyone would buy a pre-owned phone from GS.. or even a smart watch when you see all these sales for new ones on Amazon/Wally all the time.

Waitwhut?
likely over $2k credit, or $500 cash in a rolling month. Or over 4 SKU's in a rolling month.

Or his/her Elites expiring soon and doesn't give a shit about the "new" membership plan.

I don't care much for the new PUR either, so I can understand.

You might miss out on those $5 / month certs while you sit on timeout. Oh noes!

I'd like the physical magazine though, as I'm occasionally known to be on the shitter.

lol nice. I'm flirting on the line of being banned, but it's worth the risk. This has been the best flipping I took part in since the glory days of FYE and their $27 values
for games that were under $5 at EB!
Yeah, FYE used to have crazy trade in prices on video games. It was great for a few minutes of time after buying one of those $5 games (if both were in the same mall), you could get $20 - $21 cash or $27 credit. TRU also had games for $2 - $5 that traded in for the same amount.

I still remember the games too, Room Zoom, Motor Trend Lotus Challenge, Malice, Sneakers all for Xbox.

I'm not too familiar with buying non-video-game stuff from GS - do they ever run deals on accessories or electronics (like PC monitors, Oculus, or chairs) like B2G1 or generic % sales or whatnot? 

It does seem the common stuff (headsets/keyboards/mice) get discounts often. Maybe a deal of the day sometime soon?

I'm not too familiar with buying non-video-game stuff from GS - do they ever run deals on accessories or electronics (like PC monitors, Oculus, or chairs) like B2G1 or generic % sales or whatnot?

It does seem the common stuff (headsets/keyboards/mice) get discounts often. Maybe a deal of the day sometime soon?
Yeah I bet you’ll have to wait for DotD on stuff like that.

likely over $2k credit, or $500 cash in a rolling month. Or over 4 SKU's in a rolling month.

Or his/her Elites expiring soon and doesn't give a shit about the "new" membership plan.

I don't care much for the new PUR either, so I can understand.

You might miss out on those $5 / month certs while you sit on timeout. Oh noes!

I'd like the physical magazine though, as I'm occasionally known to be on the shitter.
I was talking about the FYE madness, Mr. Snarkypants.

GameStop's management thinks all will be fine a year from now but they are underestimating Sony and Microsoft pushing for digital subscription services (ala GamePass). I suspect GameStop will launch their own digital subscription service within 2 years.

$5 Bonus still active? It's not in the trade offers section, even though I know it's in the ad.
It worked last night. It and 4 for * were both going strong.

Unrelated to your question:

A manager was watching a video from corporate about the new store designs (there are three different types of stores planned as previously mentioned), so for anyone wondering, that is definitely a real plan (implementation always subject to change of course).

They REALLY are having the "Social" stores with tables for gaming, open PC's available, and an old-school "Try before you buy" aesthetic. It's 2002 all over again.

They've begun testing out the model in Oklahoma.

If you are tight with a local manager, you could ask them to watch part of the video to get a preview.

I've been digging, cant find an answer, what is this?
Which part of what he said are you asking about? If you're asking about the financial talk, scroll back a page or two. There is a long discussion from various posters about it.

If you're asking about the other portion, there is currently a 5 dollar bonus per game for trades that have a base value of 2 dollars or higher (I've actually forgotten if it's only current-gen this time; I assume so). There is also a 4 for 20 of 9.99 and under games occurring. A perfect storm has been spotted off the starboard bow.

This confluence expires soon - Saturday at the latest.

4/20 may be ending next week not this week here is to hoping the $5 bonus lasts since of holding values. The next weeks ad which usually releases Friday will decide things.

I'd definitely feel worse buying and trading today and finding a stealth bump tomorrow than waiting for a bump and finding out they ended either promotion early

GameStop's management thinks all will be fine a year from now but they are underestimating Sony and Microsoft pushing for digital subscription services (ala GamePass). I suspect GameStop will launch their own digital subscription service within 2 years.
Gamestop definitely won't launch a digital subscription service ever. At the rate things have been going they will be lucky to be around at all in 2 years. Buying and selling used games has always been Gamestops bread and butter, offering a digital subscription service would be counter-active to selling used games. Right now Gamestop is focusing on closing stores and cutting costs anywhere they can to try and survive.

I personally don't think the new consoles will save them next year either. I imagine that they will see a boost in sales for a short period but I don't think it will be enough. Gamestop isn't going to make much profit on new console sales and most people will likely buy one or two launch titles and an accessory or two at most.

i think gamefly and gamestop should merge. i would love to see a rental based service like blockbuster used to have, rent online, return in store and get another in store rental then they send another from your online list.

Traded in a launch PS4 500GB last evening for the $160 so the $50 bonus is still going strong.

Also they gave $14 for God of War which is on par with Ebay prices after the $5 bonus for trading in games as well.

Quick and easy transaction too, was in and out in like 15min.

Wish they would bring back that crazy merchandise sale they had a few years back (was like 50% off everything).  I cleaned house on the high end lightsabers there at the time along with some of their higher end StarWars sculptures.

A manager was watching a video from corporate about the new store designs (there are three different types of stores planned as previously mentioned), so for anyone wondering, that is definitely a real plan (implementation always subject to change of course).

They REALLY are having the "Social" stores with tables for gaming, open PC's available, and an old-school "Try before you buy" aesthetic. It's 2002 all over again.

They've begun testing out the model in Oklahoma.

If you are tight with a local manager, you could ask them to watch part of the video to get a preview.
Yeah, I stopped by a store last week, and it was really weird. There was this big playing area with setups and nice chairs in the back.

Get security checked before entering the store, get stickers on all your games. Wait in line, to sign 4 pages to authenticate the sale.
GameStop guts the games. So there are no copies out on the shelves for people to steal and trade back in on their way out the door. I have had to digitally sign my trades at GS for years. Recently my county enacted some Pawn laws so now GS also requires me to show my drivers license. I assume BB does too but don't know.

Other then the sticker at the door the process is about the same. Either way I have to sign either way either a paper or touch screen. Been a couple years since I have traded at BB as their values have been shit. BB the process seems to take longer then it should. Not horrible but not as quick as most GS trades. When I used to trade at BB the line to the counter was usually much shorter then the local GS. GS has the same line for all transactions. Then again BB doesn't try to sell me pre-orders or anything as I am trading. Neither is a horrible experience IMO. With the crappy values at BB I almost never check their trade in value.

Best Buy used to annoy me with checking the receipt at the door but they stopped that practice a few years ago.

One of the malls near me has 2 gamestops, one outside and one inside I wonder if one of them is closing soon
We have the same thing here. I went in the Monday before BF to the one in the mall it was DEAD. Went again last week to trade a game (first time I had to show ID) and walked right up to the counter. The one outside the mall in a strip mall is a bit busier. I always wished one of them would relocate closer to me but I guess that is likely never to happen now.

I think it will go down like Rental stores, where they disappeared and people were like “oh yeah I don’t need them I’ve got cheap streaming” but then 5-10 years later you have so many streaming services that you’re paying almost as much as cable packages in the late 2000s/early 2010s.
I don't miss the Block Busters and Hollywood Video stores at all. When I was a kid VHS beat BetaMax. My dad bought a VHS machine for like $900 with like 6 or 8 free rentals from a local rental shop. The movies were $80 retail then. We got about half the rentals before they went out of business. For years I used Redbox and DVDXpress for movies and the occasional game. I used to live a short walk from a supermarket I rented from their DVDXpress box all the time. Then I moved and it was a few miles to a rental box.

I haven't rented from Redbox in over a year. My local supermarket remodeled and removed the machine. Same deal near my parents and near my job. I did buy a few games but over the last year or two they seem to have less and less. Having to drive a few miles to return a movie or game before 9pm stopped being fun. Also don't buy very many BluRay or CDs anymore either. Tech changes.

Got a peak at next week’s ad. Things that stood out were:

4 for 60
$5 bonus credit
$30 giftcard with Switch purchase.

Special thanks to Sueman for providing the latest sheet and everyone who contributed to Flipmas 2019.

There was a double points week (?) this year at the end of January, early February. Anyone have any historical insight as to whether that's an annual thing? I like double points.

Next weeks ad will be up tomorrow hopefully.

https://gamestop.a.bigcontent.io/v1/static/OLFSI_121519
This should be the link

Assuming values hold there are a few 4/60 Titles such as Crasn Team Racing Switch that would break even or lead to $1 profit nothing that will actually lead to anything worthwhile though. I'll make a list of $29.99 titles that trade in for almost even so you guys can get some games for $12 each. Seems to have quite a bit of games that get $15 base that are $29.99 assuming the 4/20 lasts there might be a crazy deal incoming and maybe a stealth bump.

I was wrong this 4/60 deal will be great. No Man's Sky PS4 nets $8 profit with Elite Pro. There are easily 100+ titles to choose from. This is the 4/20 all over again.

Added 4/60 on v4.1 will post separate google sheet later.
Ha! I guess I won't go scorched Earth just yet, the madness continues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back