2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Works for Switch. Just grabbed 12 games, some were currently discounted too like MK11, Lego Jurassic, and Into The Dead 2. Works on sale items.

EDIT: Works for ALL games again that are under $20. Including retro.

Its labeled in the weekly ad as "preowned games" so doesn't look like a glitch, but probably wont go higher than $20.

Another thing, just LOL. State of Decay had a $5 value all week but didn't get the $5 bump. Checked the weekly ad and they're selling it for $9 this week. So they must've manually put in for the system to deny adding a bonus to that one game.

I couldn't pass on the 50% off on the switch games. Incredible sale. Bought: cave story, assassin's Creed 3, mortal Kombat, katamari damacy roll, Darksiders genesis and wasteland.

Its labeled in the weekly ad as "preowned games" so doesn't look like a glitch, but probably wont go higher than $20.
Oh yeah thats weird. The ad says preowned games, the banner on the website says ps4 and xbox, and when you go to a game page that qualifies, it shows “Purchase any 5 PO SW 19.99.” At first I thought maybe PO stood for PlayStation/One and SW for Switch, but that’s obviously not the case with all these different wordings of the deal and working on retro. Itll be interesting to see what they go with. Best to get in orders now and return if needed than to regret.

Oh yeah thats weird. The ad says preowned games, the banner on the website says ps4 and xbox, and when you go to a game page that qualifies, it shows “Purchase any 5 PO SW 19.99.” At first I thought maybe PO stood for PlayStation/One and SW for Switch, but that’s obviously not the case with all these different wordings of the deal and working on retro. Itll be interesting to see what they go with. Best to get in orders now and return if needed than to regret.
I think PO SW is preowned software.

I have six games in my cart and I’m trying to decide if the $50 is better spent expanding my backlog or saving for a PS5.

I think PO SW is preowned software.

I have six games in my cart and I’m trying to decide if the $50 is better spent expanding my backlog or saving for a PS5.
Ah ha, of course. As for the games, if they are common titles that you think you would see once again, I would probably wait. If youve never seen them in a Gamestop store, or you barely see any around in your area using the inventory checker, I would buy.

My brain hurts trying to keep up with all these sales. Is this sale basically $10 for $20 games? So like $50 plus tax for 5 games? Lower for games less than $20? I'm with some other users where I can't find five games I'm actually interested in in stock.

My brain hurts trying to keep up with all these sales. Is this sale basically $10 for $20 games? So like $50 plus tax for 5 games? Lower for games less than $20?
Exactly. I bought 6 for close to 60.

I plan on selling a couple of the 6 I bought to make up some of the money

I think it was. I had Hunted: Showdown stacking in my cart but the deal ended while I was looking for games and it went back up to $25 from $9. It was on sale for $17.99 from $24.99 until I decided to order it.

They do work in that the games count as one of the 5 needed to get 50% off, but the game itself does not get a percentage off.

I tried it when Real Heroes Firefighters was the DOTD and now with DOOM and i got the 40%/50% off the other games but not the DOTD.

It sucks how they do these promos. Last week it was 40% max and now its 50%, but if you wait then everything sells out.

Works for Switch. Just grabbed 12 games, some were currently discounted too like MK11, Lego Jurassic, and Into The Dead 2. Works on sale items.

EDIT: Works for ALL games again that are under $20. Including retro.
Looks like they've fixed most of the desirable switch games under $20.. I think most were just carried over form last week (Mario Rabids, JD2020, MK11, etc)

Was hoping for a $10 glitch on DS games but seems like everything is working correctly and no cag promo stack. I put in an order for 3DS/DS for the 50% off under $20 but no confirmation email yet. Tempted to order more but might hold out for a possible increase on $20 threshold.

Looks like they've fixed most of the desirable switch games under $20.. I think most were just carried over form last week (Mario Rabids, JD2020, MK11, etc)
You are right. Seemed too good to be true that they would include some pretty good titles

The sale does seem to apply to retro but there is a suspicious lack of retro games under $20 available. Unless they already got bought out, but I can usually still find something so that seems unlikely. 

Can confirm it works in store on all systems. However, at least my eyes deceived me, it looks like you cant go above 5 in one transaction, so if you only want 7 games, you'll have to do 2x5 transactions and return the other 3. I grabbed 6 but the associate didn't ring up one of them.

Side note: Looks like another GS randomly closed down, presumably due to no one wanting to work. That makes 2 currently in my area closed randomly, and another 5 either permanently closed or closed for the long future due to looting.

The sale does seem to apply to retro but there is a suspicious lack of retro games under $20 available. Unless they already got bought out, but I can usually still find something so that seems unlikely.
There have been (essentially) zero 10-20 dollar retro games available online since the last few sales. It isn't from this sale (if that helps)

Can confirm it works in store on all systems. However, at least my eyes deceived me, it looks like you cant go above 5 in one transaction, so if you only want 7 games, you'll have to do 2x5 transactions and return the other 3. I grabbed 6 but the associate didn't ring up one of them.

Side note: Looks like another GS randomly closed down, presumably due to no one wanting to work. That makes 2 currently in my area closed randomly, and another 5 either permanently closed or closed for the long future due to looting.
You mean IN STORE it didn't work on more than 5? Really? It works fine over than that online.

It works over 5 in-store in the same transaction, you just have to buy in sets of 5, 10, 15 etc. to keep everything 50% off
Luckily I went to my home store for this deal & they were willing to adjust it for me with no problems. But YMMV when it comes to that.

Yea you basically have to do it in increments of 5. Just tried with 10 and it worked. I basically bought all the under $20 switch games in the area lol

It's not a huge amazement why stuff isn't getting sold to GameStop.  Their offers are silly low, to the tune of 15-30% of PriceCharting.

I had a box of $10-$25 Switch games.  GS offers $3-$5 per game, accepting only maybe 20% of titles.  Even with the +$5 bonus last week, that was terrible.  I snubbed GS and sold them to a B&M store for roughly 55% PC cash value, on average.  Low value games like these are not worth selling online, anyways.  The B&M's can't keep Switch titles in stock, so they pay extravagantly.

I don't think many folks will even consider their medium / high value Switch games to sell / trade to GS.  Their offer is horrible.  Some will.  Most will not.

Their weekly hottest trades, are cruddy: if B&M's pay $30-$35 cash per 1st party title.  B&M's apparently want to flip games more than GS does.

I don't think many folks will even consider their medium / high value Switch games to sell / trade to GS. Their offer is horrible. Some will. Most will not.
Indeed...and it's not just Switch games they rip you off on with trades. I tried trading in my completed Nioh 2 PS4 copy to GS a coupla months after release. 12 lousy bucks in Regular TIV...12! Cool, no worries...I sold it on EBAY for the same price GS is selling it for used, $39.99.

Unless they're adding an extra $5 that week in TIV to lessen the shock, I find it's usually a bad idea to trade in at GS. I'll occasionally find a decent trade-in value there (before Covid-19 hit, I think I could still get $17 for Dying Light: The Following, a 4-year-old game), but those seem to be exceptions, rather than the rule.

Not much in the sale but I did at least manage to find 5 games.  

Pokemon sun & Moon 7.49 each

kh 1.5 2.5 remix 7.49

code vein 8.99 

nsmb2 3ds 9.99

Biggest want was code vein so the rest I can keep or resell down the road. Pokemon moon I already have but I don't have sun so that I will keep.  Moon probably isn't worth as much given the ultra versions of it and sun.

It's not a huge amazement why stuff isn't getting sold to GameStop. Their offers are silly low, to the tune of 15-30% of PriceCharting.

I had a box of $10-$25 Switch games. GS offers $3-$5 per game, accepting only maybe 20% of titles. Even with the +$5 bonus last week, that was terrible. I snubbed GS and sold them to a B&M store for roughly 55% PC cash value, on average. Low value games like these are not worth selling online, anyways. The B&M's can't keep Switch titles in stock, so they pay extravagantly.

I don't think many folks will even consider their medium / high value Switch games to sell / trade to GS. Their offer is horrible. Some will. Most will not.

Their weekly hottest trades, are cruddy: if B&M's pay $30-$35 cash per 1st party title. B&M's apparently want to flip games more than GS does.
Indeed...and it's not just Switch games they rip you off on with trades. I tried trading in my completed Nioh 2 PS4 copy to GS a coupla months after release. 12 lousy bucks in Regular TIV...12! Cool, no worries...I sold it on EBAY for the same price GS is selling it for used, $39.99.

Unless they're adding an extra $5 that week in TIV to lessen the shock, I find it's usually a bad idea to trade in at GS. I'll occasionally find a decent trade-in value there (before Covid-19 hit, I think I could still get $17 for Dying Light: The Following, a 4-year-old game), but those seem to be exceptions, rather than the rule.
Yeah only decent trade I've had since Lockdown was trading my physical copy of Control on PS4 for $21 after buying the digital copy on sale for just under $20.

The bonus was listed in the 7/5 to 7/11 ad. I forget if it was the regular weekly ad or the Game Days ad, but either way it is assumed to be over since it isn’t listed this week.
The +$5 bonus was only listed in the Game Days ad, and never showed up on the trade page. Then again, the current promo towards Mario Origami King isn't listed either.

And since the 50% off 5 under $19.99 appeared in the weekly ad for both online and in-store, don't expect its rules to change during the week (like going up to any game under $29.99) so it's looking like an off-week to me.

The +$5 bonus was only listed in the Game Days ad, and never showed up on the trade page. Then again, the current promo towards Mario Origami King isn't listed either.

And since the 50% off 5 under $19.99 appeared in the weekly ad for both online and in-store, don't expect its rules to change during the week (like going up to any game under $29.99) so it's looking like an off-week to me.
The Origami King and Ghost promo is now listed, just not on the trade page.

[attachment=34317:88D7B924-6E50-4834-80F5-C040FD984937.jpeg]

GameStop definitely holds back stock on LE consoles for replacements. I bought a Cyberpunk X bundle when it was available, ended up being defective. Sent it back and received a replacement this morning.

To get the 20% off do you have to put the entire amount towards Mario or can you put any amount and keep the rest on a card?
Some hardass employees may try to tell you you need to pay/trade towards it in full (possibly of their own accord, possibly at the directive of their DL), but that's not official policy. You need to put $5 down from your total trade amount to reserve a standard edition game in almost all cases. The balance can go on a card, or towards other items in the purchase, etc. Afterwards, you can come back and trade more items and put just an additional $0.01 down on that same pre-order to activate the bonus on items in the new trade that would receive it.

GameStop definitely holds back stock on LE consoles for replacements. I bought a Cyberpunk X bundle when it was available, ended up being defective. Sent it back and received a replacement this morning.
This is great news. Been waiting on a replacement last of us pro for three weeks now.

They were closing stores before the pandemic hit and people "not wanting to work" because they don't want to get sick.

It's not a huge amazement why stuff isn't getting sold to GameStop. Their offers are silly low, to the tune of 15-30% of PriceCharting.

I had a box of $10-$25 Switch games. GS offers $3-$5 per game, accepting only maybe 20% of titles. Even with the +$5 bonus last week, that was terrible. I snubbed GS and sold them to a B&M store for roughly 55% PC cash value, on average. Low value games like these are not worth selling online, anyways. The B&M's can't keep Switch titles in stock, so they pay extravagantly.

Their weekly hottest trades, are cruddy: if B&M's pay $30-$35 cash per 1st party title. B&M's apparently want to flip games more than GS does.
And it's because of people without real jobs who try to buy and resell games back to GS that they lowball trade-in values and have frequent store closings. I couldn't care less if GS goes under, but I'm hoping that its demise teaches some kids lessons in adulthood. Flipping games doesn't make you an entrepreneur, and there are plenty of productive ways to pay for your gaming hobby. But in all honesty, you'll probably resort to flipping toothpaste from Walgreens coupons on Amazon--and that's fine with me, since I invested in Amazon instead of 10 copies of a PS4 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back