The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

This is what was happening to mine for about a few weeks prior to red ringing.

It made strange noises when it stopped spinning and I'd get "Unplayable game" messages occasionally prior to this, but much more frequently before it red ringed.

Its basically dying. Just play the shit out of it and once it red rings they'll fix it. In regards to inducing red rings, leave the thing on all night and see what happens. Mine red ringed one morning. The day prior I was playing fine, and the next morning it red ringed without booting up at all.

i just got my 360 about a month ago and im really interested in adding music and photos to my 360's hard drive, specifically music so i can take advantage of games with custom soundtracks, but i dont know how to do that. i followed the link the 360 dashboard provided www.xbox.com/pcsetup and i followed the instructions for using windows media player as the source for linking everything up but it doesnt recognize my 360 to share with. and yes it is hooked up i just dont think my router is compatable. is there any other way to do this, like using a usb mem stick or something? any help is appreciated

I've been trying to playing Halo 3 today and it froze twice on me. It never did that before. There was an audible beep, a red checkerboard pattern on screen, and then the game froze. It also did it with COD4 so I thought maybe it was a disc drive issue. Then I played Robotron several times with no problem, but the demo of DBZ Burst Limit froze just like CDO4 and Halo 3.

I was thinking maybe the SF HD beta caused some problems because I never had my 360 freeze until after SD HD froze often this week.

[quote name='chasemurata']That's unfortunate, Guile. My condolences to your loss. :whistle2:([/quote]

This wouldn't have bothered me so much if I hadn't taken advantage of a BOGO used game same locally and bought several 360 games last week.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Is it still under warranty?

If it is, make your you have a cow and get them to transfer you live info onto the new xbox[/quote]

Well, I got it last year. It's an Elite model and I gott it like the first week it came out. I thought they said the warranty has been extended to three years. Do you need a proof of purchase from the box or something?

I don't think so, I think you just need the serial number and product code or whatever on the back of the console & register it on the Xbox 360 repair site

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Well, I got it last year. It's an Elite model and I gott it like the first week it came out. I thought they said the warranty has been extended to three years. Do you need a proof of purchase from the box or something?[/quote]

If your 360 hasnt RROD, it will. However, the warranty is 1 year for anything, and 3 years for RROD. So if you are out of the 1 year, make sure it RROD's before sending it in for warranty repair. If its still under the 1 year, then just call and let them know what is actually happening with the system. Im on my 4th 360 FYI, it never gets any funner.

[quote name='blitz6speed']If your 360 hasnt RROD, it will. However, the warranty is 1 year for anything, and 3 years for RROD. So if you are out of the 1 year, make sure it RROD's before sending it in for warranty repair. If its still under the 1 year, then just call and let them know what is actually happening with the system. Im on my 4th 360 FYI, it never gets any funner.[/quote]

Well, the freezing has started conveniently after the one year warranty, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see when this thing finally red rings.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I got DDRU2 last night and just opened it before the freezing started today. Yay. :roll:

Oh well, I guess I can still fire up my original Xbox for some Halo 2.

Yea man, it's gonna red ring any time now.

I had lock ups in halo 3 (during the Forge map editing mode) several times and once in MP..then guess what happened next? Red Ring!

Just get a box ready and read my FAQ on what to do next.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Well, I got it last year. It's an Elite model and I gott it like the first week it came out. I thought they said the warranty has been extended to three years. Do you need a proof of purchase from the box or something?[/QUOTE]

i just send my elite in so ur ok but the 5 weeks of waiting well kill me
ps i preordered alone in the dark and i can't play it

My second 360 (Halo Edition) just got an E74 error. So im going to send it into microsoft, buy a new one and sell the old one when I get it back. Thats what I did the first time

[quote name='slickkill77']My second 360 (Halo Edition) just got an E74 error. So im going to send it into microsoft, buy a new one and sell the old one when I get it back. Thats what I did the first time[/quote]

I think MS knows this, that people red ring send it off for repairs and get another 360 because they can't wait for the repaired unit to come back.

So I just bought a 32" flat screen lcd tv and had a question, what cables provide the best quality. Should I go with VGA, Svideo, Component, or can someone tell me how to hook up hdmi. I have an early 360 premium so no built in hdmi hookup for me =(. I also know that it doesn't matter the brand of the cable so you can all save telling me that multiple times =). Any input would be great. Thanks

Depends on if your tv is 720p or 1080p. If it's 720p, then either Component or VGA. If 1080p, you're going to have to use VGA if you want to upconvert movies to 1080p, or watch HD-DVD's in 1080p. You can play games in 1080p over either component or VGA.

Just in case you don't know about it, monoprice.com has the cheapest cables I've found.

i already go to monoprice alot for work. the tv is 1080i, which is just upconverted 720p, right? im a noob with tv's so i really have no clue. don't give me options just tell me what to do. lol

[quote name='ITDEFX']Yea man, it's gonna red ring any time now.

I had lock ups in halo 3 (during the Forge map editing mode) several times and once in MP..then guess what happened next? Red Ring!

Just get a box ready and read my FAQ on what to do next.[/quote]

I'll check it out. At least I was able to meet up with you online for a little bit before the freezing started.

360 Premium uh? Well, I find that it varies from TV to TV, for example, on mine VGA output from the 360 is nice and crisp. With the new options the 360 has for VGA output, the colors can look as vibrant as component cables now. Though if you have a 1366x768 native ratio then you'll have 6 unused vertical lines since the 360's closest resolution to that is 1360x768. So knowing this, I'd say you should make you own decision and if you can, try both options and see which one looks better on your TV. If you have a analog HDTV though (CRT, CRT Projection, etc.) then you should probably go with Component as you probably wouldn't notice the difference between it and VGA.

No, your TV will upscale it to its native resolution so there will be no lines. You can stretch the picture in VGA mode too if your TV allows for it, but then it kinda takes away from the idea of a sharp picture.

Any owners in here? How much would you actually be willing to pay if you were to buy it again? I recently bought DiRT and Forza 2 and I'm considering getting the racing wheel to play them but I'm having a very difficult time justifiying the $80-$100 expense. Any thoughts?

I have no issues with WMP11 and its sharing with the 360. Maybe it depends on HOW much video you are sharing at once. Possibly get more RAM in your PC also...

I know NERO Home is another sharing program, and people love TVersity. I tried TVersity, and did not like hte interface.

I do know that my PS3 has issues sharing my MUSIC. It times out since there is TOO much information being share.d

[quote name='doubledown']Maybe it depends on HOW much video you are sharing at once. Possibly get more RAM in your PC also...[/quote]

Do u really think so? That might be the problem....because I have over 60 movie files in my sharing folder. Also via google search on a help site someone mentioned that the media player goes into a never ending process that takes up alot of memory possibly because of a corrupted Avi file.

[quote name='popemogoth']Do u really think so? That might be the problem....because I have over 60 movie files in my sharing folder. Also via google search on a help site someone mentioned that the media player goes into a never ending process that takes up alot of memory possibly because of a corrupted Avi file.[/quote]

I had the same issues as you're describing. I messed around with it forever, and finally deleted some old .avi files and the problem cleared up. It seemed like media player was having a problem adding the .avi file and it got stuck. I have no issues now.

Are you movie files in seperate folders? I have my VIDEOS in this format. If they are all top level, maybe divide them up....

M:\VIDEO\SHOW TITLE\show.avi

[quote name='doubledown']Are you movie files in seperate folders? I have my VIDEOS in this format. If they are all top level, maybe divide them up....

M:\VIDEO\SHOW TITLE\show.avi[/quote]

NO, I share all the movies in one Divx Folder.

[quote name='doubledown']Are you movie files in seperate folders? I have my VIDEOS in this format. If they are all top level, maybe divide them up....

M:\VIDEO\SHOW TITLE\show.avi[/quote]

That's how I have mine, and it works great. Never have memory problems or time-outs on my stuff.

[quote name='One4Deuce']Any owners in here? How much would you actually be willing to pay if you were to buy it again? I recently bought DiRT and Forza 2 and I'm considering getting the racing wheel to play them but I'm having a very difficult time justifiying the $80-$100 expense. Any thoughts?[/quote]

Well I got the wheel around $70 a bit used but in great shape from Pricegrabber.com. Really the wheel is used mainly for Forza 2 but it is fun to use with Dirt but don't expect any better times on rally runs. The wheel is a great add on with any PGR game or GRID. Surprisingly the wheel felt more natural than most games in Burnout Paradise but I'd only recommend that if you're just having fun and not competing or trying to win events. More and more games are using it but it will ultimately depend on how much you like racing games.

As suggested to me in one of my blogs which type of monitor should i look for or would any kind of monitor do.Also could i use the monitor for the ps3 or xbox 360?

360, yes. PS3, no. VGA ports are becoming more rare on newer monitors so make sure you get one with it. Make sure the refresh rate is a low number (like 2 or 5ms), the contrast ratio is high, and it's a good size that you're comfortable with.

I game on a 19" widescreen monitor. In Call of Duty 4, this screen size allows me to concentrate on far away shots, as opposed to wrapping my head around a big screen.

[quote name='twen']360, yes. PS3, no. VGA ports are becoming more rare on newer monitors so make sure you get one with it. Make sure the refresh rate is a low number (like 2 or 5ms), the contrast ratio is high, and it's a good size that you're comfortable with.

I game on a 19" widescreen monitor. In Call of Duty 4, this screen size allows me to concentrate on far away shots, as opposed to wrapping my head around a big screen.[/QUOTE]

Why is that if it works well with the 360.

[quote name='Mugen']Why is that if it works well with the 360.[/QUOTE]

Because then you buy the official VGA cable. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/

For clarification, the 360 has adapters for RF, Composite, S-Video, Component, VGA, and HDMI. The PS3 has adapters for RF, Composite, S-Video, Component, and HDMI. You could buy a LCD TV that doubles as a monitor or has HDMI to broaden what you can use it with, but I got this screen for $129.99 last summer at Best Buy, regular sale price.

anyone here replaced the optical drive in the 360? Mine is dead now, tried to resurrect it, but that lasted only a few weeks, now I need a new drive. BTW, can I use the external HD optical drive to load games and play dvd's? Thanks!

I am recieving an xbox 360 from LSC next week (hopefully).
I know i am wanting to get the halo, GTA, Call of Duty games, But i am having problems finding games that my little brother will be able to play. I know i am wanting Lego Indiana Jones but other than that i have no idea what to get him. Can you name some xbox/xbox360 games that he can play?

[quote name='gkargreen']anyone here replaced the optical drive in the 360? Mine is dead now, tried to resurrect it, but that lasted only a few weeks, now I need a new drive. BTW, can I use the external HD optical drive to load games and play dvd's? Thanks![/quote]

No, that drive only works for DVD playback. You can get an identical drive on ebay, and simply swap the circuitboard of your old one into the housing of the new drive, and plug back into your xbox 360. You cannot simply swap the drive, as your Xbox 360's unique key is stored in the firmware, and must match in order to playback any games (movies will work, regardless).

Feel free to PM me with any questions; I repair 360's, professionally.

[quote name='macontosh2000']He is 10 he like star wars (he has only played the lego games), super smash bros, zelda, mario, and spider-man 2.[/QUOTE]

Sounds more like you should get the kid a Gamecube/Wii.

[quote name='twen']Sounds more like you should get the kid a Gamecube/Wii.[/quote]

He already has a gamecube, but he found out i was getting a 360 so now he is wanting xbox games.

bread's done
Back