The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

I need help streaming media to the 360. I have my 360 and PC both connected to the internet with a Linksys DSL router. Both can connect to he internet fine, but they can't connect to each other. When I go to the 'Test PC Connection' option on the 360, it fails on the 'PC Selected' part. For the life of me, I can't figure this out. I've tried every guide. Anybody had this problem before? Or know a place that can fix this?

BTW- I've tried Orb as well, but it tells me one of the ports on my computer is unavailable.

Well, I tried using Windows Media Player, but when I select to share my media, there's nothing to share it with. (My360 doesn't pop up in the box.)

I assume they are on the same network? Only thing I can offer is restarting both your computer and the 360 a few times, back when I first got started both acted kinda funny about showing up and connecting , then once I got them paired never happened again. Also disable any firewalls until you get it sorted out

I would use ORB to stream data between the two devices. It's fairly easy once you get the hang of it. The only problem I have seen is that with video either my 4 year old rig is not fast enough to push the video out to my 360 so it hiccups OR the fact that the 360 degrades the video :(

I'm probably going to pick up a 1600 pts card today to buy the cod4 maps, but what should I do the extra 800. probably a xbla game.

I'll take any suggestions...

Some of my favs:

Geometry Wars (400)
N+
E4
Boom Boom Rocket
TMNT (400)

Ikaruga and Rez were big hits, I haven't bought them yet though so I can't rate them.

Ikaruga, Doom (I think it's 400 now) and Carcassone are probably my favorites. I'm hoping that sometime soon I'll get to kick Doom off the list and replace it with Duke Nukem 3d.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']Rez, N+, and Pacman Championship Edition are my top 3.[/quote]

as fun as PC:E is, it has no longevity... just my opinion

as for what to get, i like carcassone, if ya ain't got it, op

[quote name='Bretters']Some of my favs:

Geometry Wars (400)
N+
E4
Boom Boom Rocket
TMNT (400)

Ikaruga and Rez were big hits, I haven't bought them yet though so I can't rate them.[/quote]

Geo Wars, best XBLA ever!! You will play that for years to come, its still addicting!!

Worms too.........

I like Catan..

I also like Doom, TMNT, Bomberman

I didn't like Rez, I purchased it because of all the Forum orgasims over it.. and I just didn't like it at all maybe its just not the kind of game for me..

I didn't like Ikaruga either..

N+ was unique and interesting.. i just thought 800 was a little high.. but you do get like a million levels for it.

I was wanting to pick up an older soccer game for the 360 since sports games die in price for last years versions. Is their a big difference between the FIFA games year to year that I shouldn't pick up an older cheaper one?
Also any advice on finding one in the bargain bin? Like which stores to check etc?
I'm not stuck on only he FIFA series but I think those are the only ones that you can find cheap. I'm talking sub $15 range.
Thanks for any help.

You should really check out some reviews from metacritic or ign or whatever. Fifa typically is hailed as stronger in having all sorts of actual licensed teams and players, but with poor on field gameplay until this year's versions (regular and euro tournament) which is not cheap anywhere. PES has generally gotten stellar reviews for gameplay, but has little in the way of actual players (I think, I know it's a lot less than Fifa), but PES's reviews have sunk the last few years because of little innovation being done. Basically it seems reviewers like Fifa 08 the most although some may still prefer a PES. I don't pay much attention to soccer, but I used to like the games so I finally picked up PES 2007 recently and it seems fun. Both Fifa 06s are sub 10 @ TRU, and Fifa 07 and PES 2007 just hit $5 @ KMart. Fifa might have just hit 5 @ sears too as a lot of 07 sports titles just dropped there. You better hurry as $5 games don't last. Check the OPs of the main store threads for more.

Rez
Pac-Man CE
Bomberman Live
Assault Heroes (400 pts)
Geometry Wars (400 pts)
Pinball FX -- A really great pinball game with a lot of value. Also dl free Pirate table and 200 pt Bullwinkle one.

Winning Eleven Pro Evolution $12.96 at Circuit City right now, too. Jddawg's right - some people are PES fans, others love Fifa. Can't really go wrong with either.

this reminds me to go pick up Fifa 07 at my local kmart for $5

i'll have to download the demo and see if its worth owning

While its true in the past that PES was the better simulator and FIFA was its second, I thought it was pretty much agreed upon FIFA 08 blew PES/winning 11 out of the water this year.

thanks...

Ive played all the demos of the games mentioned.

I didn't like carcassone, I just dont feel like I'm playing a game, more like a board game. Which it is.
I played rez on the ps2 and never liked it for some reason.

I like Geometry wars, I have it on my ds and play it often, but is the xbla one any different, it seems about the same as the ds one, just HD.

I'm not a huge castlevania fan, but I do like the ds games a bit. So that may be my choice. Either that or I'll just save the points for a future game or dlc

My CD Drive failed and mutilated my copy of Rock Band. I have looked up videos on the web on how to correct it but don't want to void my warranty.

I am considering purchasing the discontinued High Def add on for 50 bucks. Can it be used to play game disks?

If it cant I will be shipping my 360 back to MS for a second time.

Ham40

I am thinking about getting a tennis game, the demos for Virtua Tennis 3 and Top spin 2 were pretty entertaining. But what series is the better one of the two, iyo? I was hoping that the reviews for Top spin 2 and virtua tennis 3 would have been more different but, they were 75 to 80 on gamerankings. And the reviews themselves dont help much either.

Is it worth it to wait for Top Spin 3, or better to just buy one of the older games since they are a lot cheaper?

Both games are $9.99 used at Gamerush/Blockbuster. I bought VT3 friday, I rented it when it first came out and liked it never played TS2...

They're both decent games if you find them for around $10 at Target/Sears/K-Mart. Top Spin is more realistic looking whereas VIrtual Tennis 3 is more vibrant and somewhat arcadie looking. I own both only because they were less than $10 and I want the achievements for both. If your about the graphics and realism go with TS3, but if not then VT3 is the game for you.

hi,
I finally broke down and purchased a 360. I've got it setup connected to a monitor via the vga cable. I'm disappointed by the really loud background noise of the 360. Does anyone else play their 360 with headpones on? I'm thinking I can eliminate some of the annoying background roar of the 360 by using headphones.
What is the best cheapass headset around for the 360? Is there any set available that I can use which will plug straight into the red & white rca plugs of the vga cable?

thanks

I'm in the same boat as you. Add to the background noise the fact that GTA 4 requires me to turn the volume up around 2x as high as any other 360 game and headphones are a perfect solution.

I'm using some older Sony IR headphones that I used to use for PC gaming. They are MDR-IF540R. I am using a Pelican HD System Selector with my 360 so I just connect the base station of the headphone to the 2nd audio output on the system selector and that way the audio comes out of both the TV and the headphones. I typically just turn the volume all the way down on my TV when I am gaming but if I want audio from the TV, then I don't have to bother switching any wires around.

If you are using standard wired headphones, you should be able to connect the RCA cables of the 360 using an adapter like this:

http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=Adpt-2RcfMsf&preadd=action

I have the earforce x3 headset. I got them on sell a while back for like 35 bucks. There really awesome. they have nice sound quality decent bass and I like the built in monitor for the mic. There super comfortable for my mammoth sized head. Only problem is since there ir you have to remain in sight of the little red ir light and the range on them isnt great like maybe 25 feet.

I have an X3 also, for those late-night "sleeping wife friendly" sessions, and it's alright. If it can be had for a discounted price, it's not bad for the money, but like has been said there are obvious line of sight issues due to the infrared technology. It's also somewhat clunky, and I wish they had one more notch of size adjustment (apparently I have a big head).

My biggest gripe is that there is always a certain amount of hiss, which I assume is due to some signal loss over the infrared link. When there is enough loud sound it's not too noticeable, but during silent bits I can definitely hear it.

Ultimately I want Turtle Beach to ship their mythical, seemingly premium X4 model, or for the Astro Gaming folks to come out with a wireless model of their current wired headset, which is pricey but looks really nice.

I've made my own noise-cancelling headphones (see how here.)
I bought the ear protection, headphones, and a nice 20-foot coiled extension cord for roughly $30 shipped from amazon. I highly recommend trying this.

bread's done
Back