The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='Unickuta']Buy a PS3, or you'll be hitting yourself when Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out in about 2 weeks.[/quote]

no offense but not everyone is in awe of the metal gear series. I've tried a few of the ones for the psp their ok , nothing amazing , maybe the console versions will make me jump for joy like all the PS3 fanatics?

[quote name='PhoenixT']no offense but not everyone is in awe of the metal gear series. I've tried a few of the ones for the psp their ok , nothing amazing , maybe the console versions will make me jump for joy like all the PS3 fanatics?[/quote]

Agreed... first it was Final Fantasy that everyone was raving about to justify the cost of buying a PS2 and now its MGS 4 for the PS triple.

[quote name='Mrcapcom']And then when you get your ps3 just for MGS 4 you will be hitting yourself because thats the only game you have.

Anywho

4. Sega SuperStar Tennis I rather enjoy playing that game[/quote]

No, there are other games for the Triple, they just either look worse on the PS3 (compared to it's 360 counterpart), buggy or have weird issues ...and oh yea... the BR drive is TOO SLOW to stream the data so you have to install 9.x gigs of data on to your hard drive.

I regret buying SSST for the Wii. Although it's fun to play with the gf, it can wear you down quicky and hurt after awhile.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Agreed... first it was Final Fantasy that everyone was raving about to justify the cost of buying a PS2 and now its MGS 4 for the PS triple.

No, there are other games for the Triple, they just either look worse on the PS3 (compared to it's 360 counterpart), buggy or have weird issues ...and oh yea... the BR drive is TOO SLOW to stream the data so you have to install 9.x gigs of data on to your hard drive.

I regret buying SSST for the Wii. Although it's fun to play with the gf, it can wear you down quicky and hurt after awhile.[/quote]

I havent noticed anything that good on PSTrey other than MSG4 not enough to warrant me getting one just yet. I already have a 360 and wii ps3 would probally just be a glorified dvd player if I got one unless they start poopin out more exclusives. Whats this I hear no home yet either?

[quote name='ITDEFX']great job Tha Xecutioner! :applause:

thanks for the mention for the RRoD FAQ Thread! :D
[/quote]No problem. You actually saved me a lot of time by doing that thread and it looks like it's helped a ton of people out, so really the thanks goes to you.
[quote name='ITDEFX']Should there be a section for us lonely HD-DVD add on players too ;)

I just bought my first LCD TV last week and I heard that the HD-DVD add on player upscales the SD-DVD's, but when I put in some SD-DVD movies, my TV reports it as 720x484 (Where did my 2 pixels go or did I gain 4 pixels?) Or is this only possible with HDMI cables instead of component?

And maybe some insights into the remote control that comes with the HD-DVD unit.[/quote]I didn't really see the need to include the HD-DVD section this time around because it got axed, and the threads we had here on CAG that really gave good information for upscaling and general information about the hardware went down the drain with it. If there really is a need for that section to be included, I can maybe work it in somewhere. Most people just consider it a lost cause though since HD-DVD is dead :cry:.

I've had no problems with component cables and the standard DVD's being upscaled (though I haven't checked to see what my TV reported the resolution being), and it sounds like you actually gained 4 pixels with your problem.

What did you specifically want mentioned about the HD-DVD remote?

Has anyone had a problem where their 360 suddenly stops connecting to their Media Centre PC?

I had mine set up beatifully so the PC was a source for the videos and the folders I had set up as Libraries where all displayed correctly.

But now every time I go to the videos section it says it can't connect to the PC, I can connect to it through Media Centre but if I try and watch videos there I get an error saying something about "The software required to watch video is not working correctly".

It's not a problem with the network connection cos I can run the test and that all comes out fine.

I had it all set up perfectly but now the damn 360 refuses to connect to the PC, anyone have a solution to this ?

What happens if you disconnect while downloading a title from the marketplace?

Do you have to start over on the download? Or do you continue downloading from where you were?

i bought 3 1600 point cards at target the other day, now i have no clue what games to buy with them, i have geometry wars, uno, cassaronie--freebee, and undertow--freebee...

i was looking at the comando game thats coming soon, probably gonna get it.

are there any other games to get that are great. dont really want any single player games, just some 20 min of multiplayer stuff.
i forget the games name... but there was some futuristic shooter that went with techno music, anyone knows the name let me know, i heard its awesome.

thanks --- a guy who has too many xbox live points

P.S. i have the cod4, halo3, gh2+3 DL content

Pac-Man CE! I was the first one to shit on the game for $10 but it is worth it for even the crappiest PacMan player like me.

i'm still sitting on 4700 points myself, all free due to CAG

I recommend ikaruga & castlevania, these are the best games on XBLA
maybe even puzzle quest (i played just the demo for couple hours)

other than that i'm waiting for new halo maps and some decent XBLA games, isnt radiant silvergun confirmed for a re-release?

[quote name='spoo']Pac-Man CE! I was the first one to shit on the game for $10 but it is worth it for even the crappiest PacMan player like me.[/QUOTE]Absolutely. Pac-Man CE is a must have. I'd also suggest N+.

Oh, and Bionic Commando looks like it will be well worth 800 points, whenever it finally comes out.

Get the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game. I played that game to death in the arcades. That's going to be the first XBox Live Arcade game I get whenever I can get some points.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']i'm still sitting on 4700 points myself, all free due to CAG[/quote]

How did you get all of those points for free?

[quote name='electronicthroat']Get the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game. I played that game to death in the arcades. That's going to be the first XBox Live Arcade game I get whenever I can get some points.

How did you get all of those points for free?[/QUOTE]

Another vote for Pac-Man: CE and Rez. The two best games on the system. I forgot about N+. I really liked the demo. I may have to pick that up with the points I got myself.

I really like these games:
Puzzle Quest
Castlevania
Ikaruga (very hard game)
Alien Hominid (Sorta hard)
Pac-Man CE
TMNT: The Arcade Game

I'm looking forward to:
Street Fighter II: Turbo HD Remix
Castle Crashers
Bionic Commando

i like pinball FX.. even though its nothing too spectacular.. it was entertaining.. .

I like Catan, Bomberman Live, occasionally some Zuma, Puzzle Quest is good.. although I think the DS version is superior. hmm.. Doom isn't too bad for 5 bucks..

I heartily recommend Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One. Your best bet, really, is to just download every demo on there and find ones you like.

I grabbed a couple cards and bought The Cars' album for Rock Band and Assault Heroes 2. Still got 1200 left, waiting for Castle Crashers.

i think i say it in every one of these threads, carcassone is the best game on xbla. puzzle quest is very close but can be had elsewhere of course.

So as we all know, many of us have a decent amount of points to spend.

So I ask:

Poker smash or Texas Holdem?

(does poker smash have texas holdem?)

The two games are nothing alike.

Poker Smash is a weak tetris clone with poker cards instead of blocks (matching faces, hands, etc).

Texas Hold'em is...Texas Hold'em poker.

Why not download the demo(s) and try them out?

[quote name='mtxbass1']The two games are nothing alike.

Poker Smash is a weak tetris clone with poker cards instead of blocks (matching faces, hands, etc).

Texas Hold'em is...Texas Hold'em poker.

Why not download the demo(s) and try them out?[/quote]

Thanks. Trying out holdem now...

So is holdem the only actual poker game?

[quote name='SynGamer']You could go to Circuit City and grab WSOP 2008 for $9.99 ;)[/quote]

Actually did, but I also like xbox lives convenience ya know?

I want to replace my premium and purchase an Elite. I have a few questions though...

1) I saw this on Wikipedia... (along with various rumors amongst forums across the net):

"Since these problems surfaced, design modifications have been made to the console to improve reliability. All consoles manufactured after June 2007 have extensive revisions from the earliest units. Modifications include a reduction in the number, size and placement of components, and the addition of dabs of epoxy on the corners and edges of the CPU and GPU, as glue to prevent movement relative to the board during heat expansion,[119] and a second GPU heatsink to dissipate more heat."

The Elite was released in August 2007. So, this means the Elite is less prone to overheating (causing the Red Ring of Death, etc.), right? Anyone have an opinion on this, or have an Elite that broke down?

2) Besides having HDMI, I heard that the Elite is quieter in some circumstances than the typical xbox 360. I also saw a youtube video showing this fact. Can anyone confirm?

3) Are there other advantages to having an Elite other than what I mentioned?

Thanks to anyone who helps. Please, no comments about pricing or the size of the hard drive. I already know these things, and pricing/HD is NOT a factor in me purchasing this.

Elite and Premium are the same minus the color and the hard drive size. The Elite also comes with the Microsoft HDMI cable w/audio dongle.

Those are the only differences. Both Premiums and Elites have HDMI now. I have an Elite.

Mine is the old premium though, so the HDMI is an upgrade for me.

So to rephrase this... what are the advantages of the Elite over the "old" premium?

If you plan on buying games online, get the elite....you will fill up the 20 gig fast, and the cost of a 120 gig is HIGH....

If not, save money.

I swapped out my Premium for an Elite when they first came out. As far as noise goes I didn't really notice any reduction in noise. I do remember reading an article that stated the Elites were built with the best batches of each part but I do not know if that is fact or not. Any newer Xbox 360s should have revisions which make the console more reliable however they are still prone to high failure rates (even the Elites). Most off the shelf Xbox 360's now should have the "Falcon" chipset which reduced the size of the CPU to 65 nanometers which allows the CPU to run cooler. However a lot of people are waiting for this new "Jasper" (I believe) chipset which will reduce the size of the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) down to the 65 nanometer process as well which will further reduce heat and noise. This is supposed to come out this summer or fall. However beyond that they will have a new process in 2009 which will put the GPU and CPU on one chip which will reduce heat and noise even more (and hopefully increase reliability).

In short- The system is constantly evolving and getting better. However where do you draw the line at "good enough" and just buy one and stick with it?

[quote name='InFlames215']Mine is the old premium though, so the HDMI is an upgrade for me.

So to rephrase this... what are the advantages of the Elite over the "old" premium?[/quote]

When you say old I am assuming you mean like a launch xbox 360 premium. I have one of those and the differences between it and the Elite are:

–Different Color
–Larger Hard Drive
–HDMI Input
–HDMI cable
–HDMI audio adapter, so you run your audio somewhere else

Personally I am against the Elite because the only difference it shares now is a larger hard drive (unless you count those cables). There is no reason to get the larger hard drive unless you are going to be downloading a ton of tv shows, movies, downloadable content, and if you have a fear of deleting things (if you say no to any of those then no it is not worth the 100 dollar difference).

I actually will be using a 20GB hard drive for the Elite...

I'm in a situation where I can exchange the premium + a little money for an Elite, and I would be keeping my 20GB hard drive. I like the black color ALOT better, and HDMI output is good. I wanted to see if it was worth my while, because the Elite is being shipped.

Thanks for all the comments everyone, it was very helpful. If anyone has any other info, let me know.

The situation would have been much sweeter if you could score that 120gb HDD. Personally, I ran out of room with the 20gb way too fast, but all-in-all you're getting a good deal. Enjoy!

Obviously for the 360. I was hooked on getting Lost Odyssey until i read it had random battles, so there goes that :( Any suggestions?

There really isn't much in the rpg department. You have that, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, and Enchanted Arms? I think thats it. Only one I'd recommend is Lost Odyssey, others were ok but not great. Haven't played that much of Eternal Sonata though.

Well if you hate random battles so much you won't play a game I assume you want a Western RPG so Mass Effect or Oblivion.

Well, it's not that i don't like random battles, i just don't have the patience for them anymore. I remember the FFVII and VIII days where you want to find a save and you have what seems like 1,000 random battles between you and the save point :p My other thing is i heard you have to grind a lot for LO and that's something i absolutely hate in RPGs. I have Mass Effect on my shelf, perhaps i'll start it up again.

Any suggestions for 360 games in general? I did two offers on the yourfree360games.com site and can get a free game, i'm between GRID, Bourne Conspiracy, and suggestions.

Blue Dragon does not have random battles. It's about $20-$30 everywhere now. For non-random battles, your current choices are Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Mass Effect, and Oblivion. This fall you can add Tales of Vesperia (sp?), Fallout 3, Fable 2, and possibly Infinite Undiscovery (not sure if it's been revealed yet if it's random battles or not.)

Fable 2 is definitely on my list, was looking to get something now but i think i'll settle on GRID since it's a ffree game and i'll pop Mass Effect in to tide me over til Fable 2 is out.

bread's done
Back