The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Penny Arcade Adventures[/quote]
My stance on arcade games is that it's a waste. I absolutely hate the idea that i can't trade/sell an arcade game if i don't like it or don't want it anymore. And in the case of Penny Arcade, $20 is a bit much considering what i could get for that at retail.

[quote name='SynGamer']I already have Mass Effect. After reading more reviews and Kendal's post, i think i'll get LO and give it a try.[/quote]You only have 40 achievement points in ME, though. Play it more ;)

You don't have to grind at all in LO. LO has a system where each area has a certain xp limit. if you're low in that area, you'll gain a lot of xp. Once you closer to that cap, you'll gain less and less XP until you get none. The random encounters are a lot less random than other JRPGs. I had the same problem since I hate R.C.s but you shouldn't let that stop from enjoying a really great game.

I'm really enjoying Blue Dragon. The characters are pretty juvenile, but the gameplay is solid. I picked up for $20, and I'm glad I spent it on that instead of the Penny Arcade RPG which only lasts 3 hours.

There's a demo for it as well, so you can try before you buy.

I tried Blue Dragon (the demo) and just couldn't get into it. I think i'm going to go with LO though, it looks amazing and if the random battles aren't as bad as i thought, then i could actually enjoy it. Plus, i'm trying to find something my GF would like and she is into RPGs, grinding, etc. Heck, she was 37 hours into Radiant Mythology (PSP) and decided to start over because she wasn't a high enough level (56).

Get a PS2?

Seriously though if you don't like Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata, you might want to wait for Tales to hit.

Other than that your only other option is a PS2.

A friend of mine really loves the Baldur's Gate game for the original Xbox. I have a 360 and I think it might be fun to play a game like this with him, but I'm wondering which games are available for the 360 that have similar gameplay.

Obviously, one option is to just play that game in BC mode, though there's no real point to that since he already has an original Xbox and he has four controllers for it (I only have two for my 360). I also know about Marvel Ultimate Alliance, which is basically identical but with different characters, but the loser says he doesn't like superheroes! Honestly. Who doesn't like superheroes.

That aside though, are there any "action RPG" type games for the Xbox 360, set in a Dungeons & Dragons-style world?

I believe that Knights of the Old Republic for the original Xbox is supported for BC on the 360, if you haven't played it and don't mind a last-gen game. it's really good.

You're going to be disappointed. The two games that qualify for wjhat you want have already been named You've got Marvel: UA, which was rejected for theme and Monster Madness which meets the criteria of local multiplayer but is a terrible, terrible game. There was a demo you can try if it's still up.

The two other games mentioned can be rejected for not meeting the criteria. Oblivion is a single player first person RPG, not at all relevant. KUF:CoD has multiplayer, but online online.

I feel your pain, my wife and I played through most of those style of games last generation. BG1&2, Gauntlet, even Fallout:BoS.

*raises hand*
Another vote for Lost Odyssey here. The random battles aren't bad and there is no grinding. Seriously, two fights in each area and you've hit the level cap. The only hard thing isthat when you go into a new area the enemies can seem pretty strong at first, but after the first couple of battles you'll be stronger than them.
And if you're looking into rpgs from the xbox, I'm putting a vote in for Jade Empire. I love that game :D

Yeah, there's not much of these around, which is disappointing. Too Human looks to have promise, but thats not arriving until August...unless it's delayed...again.

I vote for Blue Dragon also. The story is really terrible but I thought the battles were a lot of fun. I liked being able to assign any skills to any character (although having two chars that could use both white and black magic made it pretty easy). I think it's the first RPG I've stuck with to completion since Chronotrigger.

Only true dungeon crawler directly for the Xbox 360 is Arkadian Warriors on XBLA. Demo is a quick download so it's easy to see if it's something you'd like.

im really enjoying bd. im only around 17-18hrs in and ive gone super slow but its far more enjoyable than id anticipated after playing the demo.
i started lo and can tell im going to LOVE it. that game starts off pretty kickass imo.

that said id grab bd as its cheap.
i also have es but havent played it and enchanted arms is ok but i see no reason when its abou the same $ as bd and bd is much much better.

Well, the whole point is i can get a game for free, and since LO is more expensive than BD, i'd rather get that than to waste a free game on something that costs $20 versus $50-60.

[quote name='MisterHand']Only true dungeon crawler directly for the Xbox 360 is Arkadian Warriors on XBLA. Demo is a quick download so it's easy to see if it's something you'd like.[/quote]

the man speaks my language...

everything sucks and you have a PC that can run Diablo II. Doooo it. :)

..Gauntlet Seven Sorrows, is it pretty good? I got a lot of points...been looking for one of these games for a while too.. :whistle2:k

[quote name='SynGamer']Well, the whole point is i can get a game for free, and since LO is more expensive than BD, i'd rather get that than to waste a free game on something that costs $20 versus $50-60.[/QUOTE]

if its free get LO there really isnt need for any further discussion.

Well this thread turned into a train wreck. It's not appropriate to move two threads asking about fairly specific game recommendations into a general thread. No one knows who's responding to who about what interests and all useful information just got lost in the chaos.

I know, I kind of hate huge amalgamation threads. Maybe if there was a specific "game recommendations" thread. But the main forum index isn't very cluttered... not sure why every topic of discussion has to be combined into one huge thread.

Agreed that this thread is now a mess, and of no use to anybody. The "dungeon crawler" recommendations are blended in with the general rpg recommendations, and a lot of replies now make no sense out of the context of the thread they were posted in.

In the OP of this thread I asked mods to move general game threads and those that ask the question "Which game should I get?" to this thread. There was no specific game being asked about, it was only "Which RPG should I get?" or "Which Dungeon Crawler should I get?". Usually we don't get 2 or more threads moved here at once, but the mods did the right thing in this situation. All you have to do is quote someone and reply directly to it to avoid any context issues. Sorry guys, but that's how this end of the forums worked 1+ year ago when this thread was up.

In my mind, a general "what game should I get" topic is much different than a discussion on a particular genre.

Not really, it just adds one specification to the topic. Instead of "What Game Should I Get?" it becomes "What [insert genre] Game Should I Get?". Since the information in those threads was general information for people who either own or are thinking about buying these games for the 360, it belongs here.

Granted, there are usually never a handful of threads that get all mixed up because of this process, but one small exception shouldn't change the way this all works. If you guys really are outraged at this, then by all means feel free to create Game Recommendations thread that accompanies all the different types/genres of games out there for the 360. Otherwise, this thread is the only alternative.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Granted, there are usually never a handful of threads that get all mixed up because of this process, but one small exception shouldn't change the way this all works.[/QUOTE]
Hopefully, it will illuminate the folly of gargantuan multi threads. So much good information gets lost because of some obsessive desire to consolidate threads. Threads are like conversations. It's very confusing to be having a discussion about a given topic and have someone interrupt and ask an entirely irrelevant question or answer someone else who did. I don't participate in gargantuan consolidated threads, and I can't be the only one that feels that way.
If you guys really are outraged at this, then by all means feel free to create Game Recommendations thread that accompanies all the different types/genres of games out there for the 360. Otherwise, this thread is the only alternative.
At least two people did. They got moved here.

[quote name='Damian']Hopefully, it will illuminate the folly of gargantuan multi threads. So much good information gets lost because of some obsessive desire to consolidate threads.[/quote]
The obsessive desire to consolidate threads is largely outshadowed by the need to get a quick answer to a problem (such as wanting to know what game to get). That need results in repetitive threads on the same issue that spring up almost on a timely pattern. This is the reason we have a general thread (to eliminate clutter/repeats) and things like the Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, etc. threads (where he/she can ask people who really know the game whether he/she should try the game out). It's much more organized this way.

[quote name='Damian']Threads are like conversations. It's very confusing to be having a discussion about a given topic and have someone interrupt and ask an entirely irrelevant question or answer someone else who did.[/quote]You're not wrong here. However, the general rule of thumb here is if you have a general question it goes here. If you have a question regarding the purchase of Lost Odyssey vs. Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata, then there are corresponding threads where the people who know the most about the game gather. The "What Game Should I Get?" threads are nothing more than a one or two page discussion at most. The threads are over after the OP sees a few responses and makes a decision. If you want the "discussion" to last longer then there needs to be a RPG Discussion Thread made to point interested gamers that direction. I know this isn't your preference, though because you already stated...

[quote name='Damian']I don't participate in gargantuan consolidated threads, and I can't be the only one that feels that way.[/quote]
I'm sure you're not, and that's ok. However, for every person you can tie into your cause I can find two or more who are upset that the Halo 3 thread or Call of Duty 4 thread is moved to the second page because of general question threads that should have originated in here.

[quote name='Damian'] At least two people did. They got moved here.[/quote]I meant that someone should make a gargantuan multi thread that handles all the genres at once.

Guys, don't shoot the messenger. I didn't move the threads myself - I'm trying to explain why it happened and why it will keep happening. I'm not saying the mods and I are 100% correct all the time and you are wrong. You guys have legitimate arguments, but, because thread repetitiveness has existed/will keep perpetuating on this forum, this thread is the best alternative we have come up with. If you guys have better ideas then let us know, or create it yourself, or write your local congressman, etc. Turning this thread into the OTT doesn't help anything.

Lots of people monitor this thread, so don't worry, you'll get plenty of game recommendations. General "What game should I buy" threads have always been moved here.

There's already a consolidated list here and games that are universally acclaimed. I'd rather see one list in this thread than a bunch of random threads from people asking what games to buy.

bread's done
Back