The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='Matt Young']Anybody ever get this message?

"Exceeds the daily limit of messages to friends"[/quote]
no

[quote name='Matt Young']Anybody ever get this message?

"Exceeds the daily limit of messages to friends"[/quote]:shock:

How many messages did you send?

[quote name='Matt Young']Not that many. Maybe 20. I was responding to messages sent to me, mostly.

EDIT: Now it lets me send them again. Weird.[/quote]I know I've responded to more than 20 in a day. Maybe you have been getting complaints filed against you lately and that is some sort of penalty. I doubt it, though, because my rep always hangs around 19% - 21% preferred/79% - 81% avoided and I can send as many messages as I want :cool:

Does the XBOX 360 upscale .mp4 files on a usb hard drive? I'm using component cables and this is the chart according to Microsoft for Games, HD-DVD and DVD. I guess I'm basically asking if I create an .mp4 from a DVD if it will it upscale the file to something higher than 480p which I'm getting now? Thanks in advance.

Microsoft Chart:
75228378eo6.jpg

i'd like to dive into my 1st xbox 360. any ideas on where to get it for the least? I assume i want to stay away from craigslist/ebay.

given the RROD issues, should i get an extended warranty?

any other buying advice would be great. I plan on playing stuff like bioshock, and really don't care about Live.

thanks!

So I'm pretty much set on getting a 360, but don't know if I should go after one with a 20gb harddrive or the 120gb harddrive

Is the extra $ for the 120 worth it? For what it's worth, besides saving my games I'll probably be uploading some music and getting some demos on a casual basis - so...

So probably not. I have the smaller HD, and all it means is that I have to remember to delete stuff when I'm done using it. If you plan on regularly using the thing as a media center, then you'll probably want the big hard drive. But the 20 GB is fine if you're not going to be sending tons of movies to it.

I've had a Pro almost since day one and and haven't ran out of space yet. 40+ games later and I have map packs, tons of rock-band songs, shivering-isles, arcade titles, etc... and still have space. Unless you plan to download movies and stuff... the 20gb should suffice.

As far as music and such.. you can easily network your 360 to your PC and share your music/videos.

Best of luck.

I've had a pro since day one as well and I have approximately 1.2gb of free space left.

It all comes down to how much you plan on downloading and what color scheme you like. Personally, if I had the choice, I would get the elite.

I just deleted some map packs this morning. They really are space hogs. If you don't fill up with map packs (or just delete those you aren't playing regularly), you should be fine. I love that you can redownload at any time with no hassels.

I upgraded to a 120 a year ago. The marketplace has over 10,000 downloaded items and its nice not to worry about space. I was constantly having to manage space and evaluate what items to keep or delete.

[quote name='dahermitt']I upgraded to a 120 a year ago. The marketplace has over 10,000 downloaded items and its nice not to worry about space. I was constantly having to manage space and evaluate what items to keep or delete.[/quote]

same here....but if you have no plans to download games...then it is a waste...of course, when I bought an Xbox 360 I had no plans to buy games and.....hmmm

20GB is plenty. Even if you download marketplace videos they expire after you watch them so you will delete them. Its not a hassle to delete stuff so I see no reason to go with the 120GB hard drive.

[quote name='bigtymer']20GB is plenty. Even if you download marketplace videos they expire after you watch them so you will delete them. Its not a hassle to delete stuff so I see no reason to go with the 120GB hard drive.[/quote]

To clarify this is only the case with movies. Game videos, music videos, and TV Shows do not expire.

The question as others have said comes down to how much you plan to download in terms of game videos, TV shows, demos, XBLA, DLC, etc. and how much time you want to spend managing your space. For most the 20GB is OK, but I tend to keep a lot of the documentary style videos that come out and I have quite a bit of XBLA and DLC so I got the 120GB as soon as it came out.

i have the 120 gb myself, but that is mainly because i have over 100 games for the 360 with plenty of map packs and live arcade games too. i had to delete all my music when i had the 20 gb hdd and couldn't keep any demos or trials since i would have ran out of room.

if you are only going to have 15-20 games at most, you should be fine with the 20 gb. just keep in mind that download content takes up a lot of space if you plan on downloading a lot.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

As I don't have a 360 yet, I'm not sure of how many games I'll have a total of but I can't see myself getting anymore than 20 (at least at one time) so I guess I will be safe with the less expensive, yet smaller harddrive.

I have a few Xbox Orig...that I don't want to download each time I want to play them, and they ate up a bunch of space..

If you're thinking about getting a 360 and haven't yet, keep this in mind.

The Elite is $70 more than the Pro, and it includes the 120GB drive ($179.99 MSRP) and the HDMI kit (HDMI cable + audio output dongle, $50 value). If you were to buy a Pro and later sell/trade the 20GB drive, you'd net out $20 as a trade-in item at GS, or $40-$60 around here for sale.

I have the 120GB drive, and it's nice to not to have to worry about doing any house cleaning for normal circumstances. Load it up on TV downloads, and you might have do some, assuming you go nuts with it. Under normal circumstances, unless you have every demo in existence, the 120GB drive should cover your needs for quite some time.

If you're thinking about possibly getting the 120GB drive in the future, pony up the extra money and get at time of 360 purchase with the Elite.

I just got a 120GB, and I am glad I did. With the 20GB I only had around a gig of constant free space, and I had to delete some stuff to download the bad company demo. Now I don't have to worry about space, and I can go back and download all the tv shows I bought but didn't have space to always keep around.

[quote name='shrike4242']If you're thinking about getting a 360 and haven't yet, keep this in mind.

The Elite is $70 more than the Pro, and it includes the 120GB drive ($179.99 MSRP) and the HDMI kit (HDMI cable + audio output dongle, $50 value). If you were to buy a Pro and later sell/trade the 20GB drive, you'd net out $20 as a trade-in item at GS, or $40-$60 around here for sale.

I have the 120GB drive, and it's nice to not to have to worry about doing any house cleaning for normal circumstances. Load it up on TV downloads, and you might have do some, assuming you go nuts with it. Under normal circumstances, unless you have every demo in existence, the 120GB drive should cover your needs for quite some time.

If you're thinking about possibly getting the 120GB drive in the future, pony up the extra money and get at time of 360 purchase with the Elite.[/quote]

The thing is I'll be buying it used (and from a fellow Cag at that). It was either get a deal with a member on an elite or the premium...and I never got a deal on the elite thus my situation. Besides, the $180 pricetag for the 120gb hdd seems a bit much...then again, I don't know how well they're selling. Hopefully, they'll go down greatly - like liquidation style sometime soon as right now I'm going to have to stick it with my 20gb and see how long it lasts before annoyances start kicking in.

[quote name='fieldkillah']I just got a 120GB, and I am glad I did.[/quote]
Practically the second the 120gb goes down to a (more?) reasonable price, I'll get it as these arguments make sense but right now it's not going anywhere :drool:

[quote name='mtxbass1']I've had a pro since day one as well and I have approximately 1.2gb of free space left.

It all comes down to how much you plan on downloading and what color scheme you like. Personally, if I had the choice, I would get the elite.[/QUOTE]

QFT. If I delete the Ninja Gaiden II and Bad Company demos, I'd have 2GB free. All my space is taken up by about 20 XBLA games and a bunch of DLC. 20GB is bullshit. Microsoft should have included a larger hard drive from day one.

[quote name='deadgopher']QFT. If I delete the Ninja Gaiden II and Bad Company demos, I'd have 2GB free. All my space is taken up by about 20 XBLA games and a bunch of DLC. 20GB is bullshit. Microsoft should have included a larger hard drive from day one.[/quote]

you think thats bad, what about the PS3 guys getting a 40 gig unit...the way the PS3 loads games to save on load times eats up the space. Some games use up 5-6 gigs of space each.

I just traded my old Xbox 360 for a newer one with HDMI. I kept my hardrive from my old system, but I can't use anything I've downloaded and paid for unless I'm hooked up to Live... which my console isn't 90% of the time. What the hell is going on? When I'm not online all my arcade games say I need to buy them again, and I can't even play my downloaded songs in Rock Band... I've spent well of $100 on that alone. Please help.

this is one of the most common and most complained about issues. A fix is being worked on. Its been suggested to delete and download content again.

[quote name='Scorch']this is one of the most common and most complained about issues. A fix is being worked on. Its been suggested to delete and download content again.[/quote]

A fix? I hope so man, I'm severely bummed out right now. No way can I delete, and redownload all my stuff... that would take way too long, and I'd probably forget something. I have tons of stuff between Rock Band, Guitar Hero, XBLA games, videos, ect.

The best you can do is just make a list of the important things, and download based off that.

It may be a blessing in disguise if you can't be bothered to re-download some things, as you'd be freeing up some space.

I haven't experienced this yet, since haven't gotten an rrod yet, sounds like it sucks. One thing I can't stand about the 360 is just how locked it is. By that I mean, this problem, and then the region locks, I like xbl, but I like buying/downloading off of psn more, since I can use real money and not microsoft points (why should I have to pay for points I dont want) and I can download what I want from whatever region, and play the retail games from different regions. The Ninja Gaiden 2 demo thing was sort of annoying also...

Recently I've been getting some weird flickers when I'm using HDMI. Periodically it the screen/sound will go blank for a few seconds and then come back all fine. But its getting annoying. It just started a few days ago, and it has been very random. Sometimes I can play/watch a dvd for an hour before it happens, but sometimes its only about 15 minutes.

Its not the HDMI cord, I don't think so at least, since I use the same cord for my PS3. I just have the 360 and ps3 next to eachother and switch the cord when I want. I only have one hdmi input on my monitor.

Anyone else have a problem like this? I googled it, but haven't gotten anything that seems to match my problem. My 360 has HDMi, but its not the new chip if that even matters.

Deleting and redownloading would do you no good in this situation as that only works if Microsoft has changed your content licenses to your new 360. They currently won't help you in this situation what-so-ever, but maybe people will get lucky with this announced DRM fix. Somehow I think people are expecting more out of that than will be delivered, but hopefully not.

Luckily that was part of the Spring aka we Have no update announcement. They will be releasing a fix for the DRM issue. Whether its a program we have to d/l or a specific Seance we must perform is anyones guess.

[quote name='shipwreck']Deleting and redownloading would do you no good in this situation as that only works if Microsoft has changed your content licenses to your new 360. They currently won't help you in this situation what-so-ever, but maybe people will get lucky with this announced DRM fix. Somehow I think people are expecting more out of that than will be delivered, but hopefully not.[/quote]

I feel the same way. People are getting slap-happy over this, but don't know how it will work. I'll wait to see what exactly MS is offering before I get excited.

this is my issue with the 360. i can get over having to exchange 360s (im on #5) but when the shit ive paid for doesnt work and i have no recourse i get fucking pissed. In that regard i feel like MS is stealing from me.

In the case of puzzle quest i cant save even when im on xbl.......

[quote name='Metalic']I remember reading somewhere the DRM fix was coming in july. Was probly just a estimate though.[/QUOTE]

Just remember if MS says or you've heard/read July somewhere. Then expect September.

Here's what I have, what are some must-haves that I do not currently own???

2006 FIFA World Cup
Battefield 2
Beautiful Katamari
Call of Duty 2 Special Edition
Call of Duty 4
Condemned
Crackdown
Dead Rising
Far Cry Instincts Predator
FIFA '08
Fight Night Round 3
Full Auto
Gears of War
Grand Theft Auto IV
Guitar Hero II
Guitar Hero III
Kameo
Lost Planet
Mass Effect
NCAA '08
NHL '07
NHL '08
Perfect Dark Zero
Saints Row
skate.
Stranglehold
Table Tennis
Tetris Evolution
UEFA Champions League 2006-2006
Viva Pinata
XBox Live Arcade Compilation Disc

Here's my 360 collection
Battlefield 2
Battlestations: Midway
Beautiful Katamari
Bionicle Heroes
Bladestorm: The Hundred Year's War
Blue Dragon
Bullet Witch
Burnout Revenge
Call of Duty 2: GOTY
Call of Duty 3
Call of Juarez
Cars
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Crackdown
Chromehouds
Dance Dance Revolution Bundle
Dance Dance Revolution 2 Bundle
Dead or Alive 4
Dead or Alive Extreme 2
Def Jam Icon
Earth Defense Force 2017
Enchanted Arms
Eternal Sonata
Fary Cry
Fear
Forza Motosport 2
Gear of War
Guitar Hero 2 Bundle
Guitar Hero 3 Bundle
Gun
Halo 3 SE
Kameo
Madden 06
Madden 07
Mass Effect
Moto GP 06
Naruto: Rise of the Ninja
Ninety Nine Nights
Perfect Dark Zero
Peter Jackson's King Kong
Phantasy Star Universe
Prey LE
Project Gotham Racing 3
Project Gotham Racing 4
Quake 4
Ridge Racer 6
Shodowrun
Samurai Warriors 2
Stranglehold
Superman Return
Table Tennis
The Bigs
The Darkness
The Elder Scrolls 4:GOTY
The Lord of the Rings: TBOTME 2
The Orange Box
The Outfit
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: AW
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vega LE
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vega 2
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Tony hawk's Proving Ground LE
Virtua Tennis 3
Viva Pinata
Viva Pinata: Party Animal
Wartech
Winning Eleven: PES 07
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 07
Xbox Live Arcade: Unplugged 1

[quote name='Artie Lange']I just traded my old Xbox 360 for a newer one with HDMI. I kept my hardrive from my old system, but I can't use anything I've downloaded and paid for unless I'm hooked up to Live... which my console isn't 90% of the time. What the hell is going on? When I'm not online all my arcade games say I need to buy them again, and I can't even play my downloaded songs in Rock Band... I've spent well of $100 on that alone. Please help.[/quote]

I didn't know that this was Chris in Cali's new name

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=927749&topic=43600017

bread's done
Back