The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

rrod is only 3 years, everything else is one, and if you had your system refurbed, everything is covered for only 3 months. Best bet is to trade it into gamestop and pay the difference for a new arcade with hdmi. Although you can just call and say you have RROD and they will end up replacing the DVD Drive in it during the refurb process for it (Microsoft replaces every single 360 that comes in with a new motherboard + DVD Drive (unhackable) in EVERY system that comes into the repair process). So thats one route you can take. No HDMI tho.

[quote name='KillerElDiablo']I sent my RROD 360 off and had it repaired by Microsoft, and got it back in January of this year. Now my 360 is having disc trouble. I keep getting the disc read error message, and I have decided enough is enough. I went to the Customer Service site and saw that I am out of warranty. Now, if I got this one less than year ago, shouldnt it still be under warranty? If I am going to have to pay the $100, then I am just going to buy one at Gamestop and trade mine in. Should my 360 be under a new warranty now, and if so should I call and dispute it? I really dont want to call India, and want this problem to be resolved as cheaply as possible. Have any of you gone through this same problem? Thanks for any answers.[/quote]

i have the exact same problem except i got my 360 back from MS july 07 and i get disc read errors (or insert disc into a 360 console error)... the MS warranty thing is 3 years from original MF date (if i'm not mistaken), so i bought my 360 at launch and that 360 was MF in Aug of 05 (i guess) and my RRoD warranty ran out this past august... either way even if u were under warranty it would only cover RRoD (unless it is within 90 days of receiving the refurb console)... i'm in the same boat as u and don't know what to do...

[quote name='blitz6speed']rrod is only 3 years, everything else is one, and if you had your system refurbed, everything is covered for only 3 months. Best bet is to trade it into gamestop and pay the difference for a new arcade with hdmi. Although you can just call and say you have RROD and they will end up replacing the DVD Drive in it during the refurb process for it (Microsoft replaces every single 360 that comes in with a new motherboard + DVD Drive (unhackable) in EVERY system that comes into the repair process). So thats one route you can take. No HDMI tho.[/quote]

what is the TIV of a 360 console at GS and do u have to give them all the wires and controller?

I just got my 360 coffin today. There's nothing really 'wrong' with my 360, besides the fact that it sometimes freezes, the reaction time on dashboard is a little slow (not sure why), and the disc drive emits a very high ear-piercing constant 'beep' sometimes when playing games. I didn't drop or do anything to the 360; it was most likely damaged in the shipping process when I received it.

Anyhow, I'm sending mine out, hopefully I can get that repaired.

[quote name='KingBroly']Is the only way to back up save files through a 360 Memory Card or can you use a formatted Flash Drive?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know you need to use Microsoft's hardware. I'd get a 512MB one since it's not much different than the 64MB ones.

[quote name='KingBroly']Is the only way to back up save files through a 360 Memory Card or can you use a formatted Flash Drive?[/quote]

You can also use the Datel products like the XSATA, XPort, or Transfer kit to back up your 360 HDD and transfer files between the two. here is a link to the products:

XSATA

XPort

Transfer Kit

I've used the transfer kit and it works ok, but it makes full images of your memory card, and you can only restore the entire image, not pick and chose files.

I picked up a used Xport from ebay but never could get it to work right so I returned it. It sounds like it is pretty functional if you can get it to work. The XSATA looks like the best option though since it is always connected to your 360 HDD.

You might want to try to score one of these via eBay. I'm sure you can find them for alot cheaper than the MSRP's listed on their site.

I would recommend only using these to backup files though becasue downloading the files they have on their site to boost your GS can cause you to get your GS reset to zero or get your console-id banned from using XBL.

i live in the UK do i need to show a reciet or something if it RROD? or something im only buying it cause its dirt cheap and i get to play gears always wanted to play that XD

I'm not sure about the UK standards, but in the US, the easiest way is to register your console number on xbox.com, create a new repair, wait for them to send you a box, put the stripped 360 in the box, send it out, and you get one back.

I want to make a quick post before you buy, but make sure you actually look at it first. I hate buying and selling stuff when it comes to friends, because most of the time, if something breaks, it just gets messy. Make sure the warranty sticker is on the 360. If it isn't, then it's a bad deal.

After a year and a half of memories, laughter, and fun, my 360 elite has finally rrod'd on me. it did once about a year ago, but finally tonight it succumbed, seemingly permanently, and went where other 360s have gone before...

so, before i go to best buy for an exchange, i was wondering if any of you knew of a way to transfer achievements from my old system to my new system? oh and i dont have xbox live either...

help!

oh, and thanks in advance!

Keep the harddrive, or transfer your profile to a memory card.

You can always recover your profile on the new system too, but without Live, that'd be hard.

[quote name='shrike4242']I've used ones past their expiration date without any issue.

Nope, it's three years that you can stack, not two.[/quote]

well I went ahead and bought the kit for $4.97 to see if it would work, and I put in the code, and it worked! I went back to the store and bought the other 4 of them. I already have close to 2 years remaining now on my account, so that should last me until the next xbox maybe. If anyone is wondering where I found them, it was at the Base Exchange (BX) at the Air Force Base I work at. So if you live near a base and have access, go check it out, but I imagine it is quite YMMV

I have a problem. I recently got a sort-of working Xbox360. I was going to return it to Microsoft, but then I found this:

The serial number on the back of the Xbox360 is a different number than the serial number listed in the console settings. The serial number in the back is in warranty up to 2009 (I registered it myself). However, the serial number in the console setting is already registered to someone else.

Which is the real serial number? Is it the one in the back or the one in the console settings?

edit: The 360 just got the RROD. But if the real serial number is in the console, it's already registered to another user. What do I do then? What the hell?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of purchasing a Xbox 360, mainly for the arcade games on live.

Can I play the arcade games offline/ethernet cable physically disconnected or do I have to be signed into live in order to play them?

You can be offline. The catch is the downloaded games have activation. If you try to run them on a different 360, you'll have to be online to do so...

With the exception that as long as Microsoft's activation servers remain up, there's a process that lets you transfer content to a new system once a year.

So I guess this is the place to ask for question...?

Well if it is, then my question is how do I ADD, not REPLACE, but ADD additional XBL time (1, 3, or 12 month) to my already gold account? Because the last time I tried this, it REPLACED my current 1 month (still had days left) with the 3 month that I 'redeemed'
So first of all, where to i go to do this (add additional time)...on the net or on the 360?
And how?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Wow, I would just assume it would be smart enough to add it on :bomb:[/quote]

way to help out a fellow CAGer...

[quote name='Wolfpup']Huh? I'm just commiserating with you...[/quote]

oops didn't read that carefully enough sorry, yeah it sucks...so can you help me out?

Nope, sorry :( Hopefully someone will know. Pretty silly if you have to wait until it's expired until you add more! Hopefully "points" don't work like that.

maaan I got my xbox and the thing is freakin frustrating!!!

one... I cant get it hooked up to my computer in HD!! the freakin cables wont all fit together in the system wtf?!?!?! How can I put a HDMI cable at the same time as the AV Cable to get sound?? Do I need to buy new cables somewhere??

second, I cant connect it to the internet and use xbox live unless I pay an extra $100 for the wireless adapter?!?!?! I read a couple solutions online but they were either plug your xbox into your computer or flash a wireless router.

The problem is, I dont have an ethernet port in my computer (even tho I do have a wireless router chillin somewhere). All I got on my computer is the wireless receiver that picks up the signal, I wonder what can I do, could I use someone else's computer to flash my router??

I take it you don't have an Elite? You can't plug HDMI and use the AV cables for sound. It's why I bought an Elite, because it comes with an adapter that lets you do that.

I have heard that there is a third party AV cable set that is thinner so you can fit both A/V cables and an HDMI cable but the name escapes me at the moment.

You can also buy the adapter that comes with an Elite on its own, I think it's around $50.00.

[quote name='JEKKI']maaan I got my xbox and the thing is freakin frustrating!!!

one... I cant get it hooked up to my computer in HD!! the freakin cables wont all fit together in the system wtf?!?!?! How can I put a HDMI cable at the same time as the AV Cable to get sound?? Do I need to buy new cables somewhere??[/quote]

Yes, if you need to hook up HDMI at the same time as non-HDMI audio, you need to buy Microsoft's HDMI cable pack. Alternatively, you can get their VGA pack if you want to use that connection.

second, I cant connect it to the internet and use xbox live unless I pay an extra $100 for the wireless adapter?!?!?! I read a couple solutions online but they were either plug your xbox into your computer or flash a wireless router.

The problem is, I dont have an ethernet port in my computer (even tho I do have a wireless router chillin somewhere). All I got on my computer is the wireless receiver that picks up the signal, I wonder what can I do, could I use someone else's computer to flash my router??

I'm confused...you can just plug your 360 into an Ethernet port. I don't know what good flashing a router would do, what that has to do with anything, or why you'd need to connect it to your computer directly. I mean you COULD I guess, but I don't know why you would...

[quote name='yukine']You can also buy the adapter that comes with an Elite on its own, I think it's around $50.00.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft's HDMI pack includes an HDMI cable too (in addition to the adapter thingee).

[quote name='yukine']I take it you don't have an Elite? You can't plug HDMI and use the AV cables for sound. It's why I bought an Elite, because it comes with an adapter that lets you do that.

I have heard that there is a third party AV cable set that is thinner so you can fit both A/V cables and an HDMI cable but the name escapes me at the moment.[/QUOTE]yeay I got a 60 giga, but if u find the name of that 3rd party adapter plz let me know!!

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm confused...you can just plug your 360 into an Ethernet port. I don't know what good flashing a router would do, what that has to do with anything, or why you'd need to connect it to your computer directly. I mean you COULD I guess, but I don't know why you would...[/QUOTE]well one thing I read was that you can plug your xbox into your wireless adapter (assuming it has a connector) or laptop and go into your control panel and adjust something called like "network sharing" which allows devices plugged into the receiver to share signal reception.

the other flash thing I mentioned is called DD-WRT firmware. You flash it onto a wireless router and it allows the device to become a wireless receiver. The entire process looks real confusing to me, but my main problem with using that method is space... I'm in a very claustrophobic environment and have run out of places to plug things into (I had one extra outlet and BAM in goes my new xbox). My router needs to be plugged into something... cant do it.

I'm real upset becoz I was thinking of a way to sell off sum things to get a cheap copy of GoW2, but instead I needa spend even more cash jus to get this system running... at this rate I prolly wont even be able to finally play it until february -_-

yeay fuck u Microsoft!!

143ma9x.jpg

I only cut my finger once!!

unfortunately, somehow the video stopped working when I plugged it into my regular TV, I only got sound...

BUT, the whole point of this exercise was to use a different way of getting video which ended up a success.

anyway I tested a bit of Lego Jones...wtf this system is LOUD! not happy....

[quote name='JEKKI']
anyway I tested a bit of Lego Jones...wtf this system is LOUD! not happy....[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, it's crazy loud. Sounds like a blender. Amazing to me that some people still defend that...unless there really are some mystical quieter units out there, it's unacceptable.

But...the good news is the firmware update this month-November 19th-sort of fixes that. It's going to let you install games to the hard drive. It does a quick disc check when you launch the game, and then spins down the optical drive. Should make the system much more comparable to the PS3. You can still hear it, but it eliminates over half the noise.

Hey guys, I looked through the various sticky threads here but didn't find an answer to my question.

Anyway, I'm in the market to buy a 360 Elite bundle. Looking around though, I see two bundles that are potentially purchasable. The older one from approx 1 year ago includes Forza 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance which I prefer games-wise, whereas the one for this holiday season includes Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indy Jones. I've heard some talk that the warranty will not last as long one the Forza 2 bundle because it has a earlier manufacturing date....so that means I would lose out on a year or more of warranty coverage? Is there any consensus as to whether the newer Elites will have less problems, e.g. with the RROD, compared to the Elite in the Forza 2 bundle? Other than the games, are there ANY other differences I haven't potentially touched upon? Thanks a lot.

[quote name='jamezuva']Hey guys, I looked through the various sticky threads here but didn't find an answer to my question.

Anyway, I'm in the market to buy a 360 Elite bundle. Looking around though, I see two bundles that are potentially purchasable. The older one from approx 1 year ago includes Forza 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance which I prefer games-wise, whereas the one for this holiday season includes Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indy Jones. I've heard some talk that the warranty will not last as long one the Forza 2 bundle because it has a earlier manufacturing date....so that means I would lose out on a year or more of warranty coverage? Is there any consensus as to whether the newer Elites will have less problems, e.g. with the RROD, compared to the Elite in the Forza 2 bundle? Other than the games, are there ANY other differences I haven't potentially touched upon? Thanks a lot.[/QUOTE]

Where are you finding that old bundle? It's used, right? At any rate, I would absolutely NOT buy that old bundle. There's a solid chance that it's going to be a second instead of third gen 360, which will make it FAR less reliable.

I'd also be very suspicious of why a store still HAD an old bundle. They should have been gone before the holiday season last year was even over.

But no, the warranty is from the time of purchase, not manufacture, as it is on all products...if it's new. But regardless, don't buy that old bundle. That's fishy for at least two reasons.

Warranty is based on time of purchase, not the manufacture date. I would personally go with the newer bundle since it could potentially be more reliable. And Forza 2 / Marvel Ultimate Alliance are very cheap to buy.

Edit: Bah, beat me to it Wolfpup.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Where are you finding that old bundle? It's used, right? At any rate, I would absolutely NOT buy that old bundle. There's a solid chance that it's going to be a second instead of third gen 360, which will make it FAR less reliable.

I'd also be very suspicious of why a store still HAD an old bundle. They should have been gone before the holiday season last year was even over.

But no, the warranty is from the time of purchase, not manufacture, as it is on all products...if it's new. But regardless, don't buy that old bundle. That's fishy for at least two reasons.[/QUOTE]
No, it's new off ebay. The guy is selling a bunch of them in one auction.

but thanks guys, I guess I'll just the new bundle to be on the safe side and sell off those games

wouldn't be the first time though that scalpers bought off a limited edition bundle and then sold them when they are out of production for profit. For example, the 80gb MGS4 PS3 bundles are going for $550-$600 on ebay when their original retail was $499

The MGS4 bundle I can see, since it's the last fully featured Playstation 3-maybe ever. Buy buying up a bunch of old 360s? Like...there's a MARKET for possibly last gen (or even two gens ago) 360 hardware? Whole thing sounds weird to me.

I think my headset got yanked out by my cat, now I can only hear and not talk.

I notice when I click it in it isn't secure, and the metal prong doesn't have a tip. It's just a black circle. Must have fallen off. I'm wondering if I'm screwed or if there's any ideas? I've tried pushing it in more but still can't talk.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee'] I'm wondering if I'm screwed or if there's any ideas? I've tried pushing it in more but still can't talk.[/quote]

Insert dirty joke here.

[quote name='captmurphy']That's what she said[/quote]

Fixed.

You're pretty screwed, OP. If you have an old XBox headset (original), those work too.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Where are you finding that old bundle? [/QUOTE]

There is a Hollywood Video by me that still has an old bundle. Been sitting there for over a year.

[quote name='DestroVega']no.... just buy a wireless one anyway, it's so worth it.[/quote]

I know it's worth it, but it's $60. >_> My current Plantronics X30 headset works fine, but after having it on for more than 3 or so hours, my ear feels like it's going to explode.

bread's done
Back