The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

22 Characters total 10 selectable on each side plus 2 Bosses a DC Boss and a MK Boss.

If 2 of the same characters are selected theres a color swap

But there will be Alternate Costumes and at least 1 or 2 Hidden Characters

My Hope is for Johnny Cage or Quan Chi or BANE or Bat Girl from the DC side.

of Course I can't wait to see Batman's Alternate costume, And I hope Joker gets an assist from that babe Harley Quin of his.

While "more of the same", the Gears 2 single-player is better. The team and enemy AI is better and it feels less of a chore than the failure that is the World at War single-player. However, I prefer World at War's multiplayer. I have yet to play World at War's Nazi Zombie co-op mode, so I can't compare. That said, Horde is incredible fun. Regarding extras, World at War features a very neat statistics tracking browser at CallofDuty.com. Gears 2 offers a War Journal that is organized and a great way to track achievements and collectibles.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Well given how bad CC is in fulfilling promised deals, I would go with the Pro System at Target with $60 gift card. That way, you get 3 or 4 full games to go with your system.[/QUOTE]

For the record I would love to touch Lucy Pinder in a dirty spot.

Sorry, all the costumes are just color changes, and not completely different costumes.
There are 10 characters, 2 bosses
Darkseid and Shau Kahn
who are also playable, and 1 main boss
Dark Kahn

[quote name='Chase']While "more of the same", the Gears 2 single-player is better. The team and enemy AI is better and it feels less of a chore than the failure that is the World at War single-player. However, I prefer World at War's multiplayer. I have yet to play World at War's Nazi Zombie co-op mode, so I can't compare. That said, Horde is incredible fun. Regarding extras, World at War features a very neat statistics tracking browser at CallofDuty.com. Gears 2 offers a War Journal that is organized and a great way to track achievements and collectibles.[/quote]

Gears of war has a stat tracking thing on www.gearsofwar.com as well. I am not sure how it compares to that of call of duty, but it gets the job done. I would have loved if they had something more like Halo 3, instead it comes off as a halo 3 lite stat tracker.

I noticed that walmart is throwing in a free Guitar Hero III + Wireless Guitar with the arcade. I'm tempted by that. I'm just trying to research some of the places to see who has the best warranty. Best Buy changed their warranty to them sending in the 360 to their repair center for repair or replacement (with the possibility of a refurb). I was leaning toward them, but I'm thinking about looking elsewhere. I wonder what Walmart's warranty is like?

street fighter IV, I played it at the arcade in china town and its awesome , MK vs DC is NOT that great of a game i wouldn't pay more then 20 bucks for it and the fatalities stink

Okay, so if you recall I had troubles with my 360 a month and a half ago. I called Overstock and filed a claim to have it fixed since I had a warrant with them. The place they use to fix them, fixed it and sent it back to me.

Well now the same problem is happening to me (bad graphics card), I called Overstock and they are sending another mailing label out. The CS rep told me that if it is unrepairable they will send me a check for $400. I really want the check so I can get a new HDMI 360.

What could I do to make sure it would deem unrepairable without making it look like I purposely did something? You know nothing stupid like dropping off a three story building. I just don't want this piece of junk returned again and have the same thing happen in January.

Ironic timing of this since with the NXE, I just got my 120gb HDD in the mail today, and I also got CoD: WaW from Gamefly today.

Best Buy has the Pro with 4 games. Of course 2 of them come with every system already.

Indiana Jones Lego
Kung Fu Panda
NBA 2K9
Tony Hawks Proving Ground

Remember, the Pro has the HD cables (the Arcade just has composite), a headset and a 60GB hard drive.

[quote name='erehwon']I noticed that walmart is throwing in a free Guitar Hero III + Wireless Guitar with the arcade. I'm tempted by that. I'm just trying to research some of the places to see who has the best warranty. Best Buy changed their warranty to them sending in the 360 to their repair center for repair or replacement (with the possibility of a refurb). I was leaning toward them, but I'm thinking about looking elsewhere. I wonder what Walmart's warranty is like?[/quote]
Where have you seen the Wal Mart ad?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']If you can get in on it, Circuit City has the best deal by far, IMHO. They're selling the Arcade bundle (which already has Sega Superstars Tennis), and they're throwing in an extra wireless controller, and a refurbished harddrive for free.[/quote]

It's most likely going to be the holiday bundle. I don't know where this refurb hard drive thing comes from either.

[quote name='RevolutionarySmurf']Where have you seen the Wal Mart ad?[/quote]

Check the deals forum.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Okay, so if you recall I had troubles with my 360 a month and a half ago. I called Overstock and filed a claim to have it fixed since I had a warrant with them. The place they use to fix them, fixed it and sent it back to me.

Well now the same problem is happening to me (bad graphics card), I called Overstock and they are sending another mailing label out. The CS rep told me that if it is unrepairable they will send me a check for $400. I really want the check so I can get a new HDMI 360.

What could I do to make sure it would deem unrepairable without making it look like I purposely did something? You know nothing stupid like dropping off a three story building. I just don't want this piece of junk returned again and have the same thing happen in January.

Ironic timing of this since with the NXE, I just got my 120gb HDD in the mail today, and I also got CoD: WaW from Gamefly today.[/quote]

I'd take the Overstock warranty. Everything is essentially repairable or replaceable. From the disc drive to the motherboard. I'm not sure what they mean by "unrepairable", which would probably mean the thing is just downright beaten up. They most likely fed you the classic "we refund you" bullshit just so you feel better. Even if it's trashed, they'll probably just send you a refurbished console.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']I'd take the Overstock warranty. Everything is essentially repairable or replaceable. From the disc drive to the motherboard. I'm not sure what they mean by "unrepairable", which would probably mean the thing is just downright beaten up. They most likely give out the classic "we refund you" bullshit just so you feel better.[/quote]

Well they have the no lemon policy...

I've read buyer reviews that say the 3rd party VGA cables are not as good and have ghosting. I dunno about 360 component cables.

The Gamestop-branded multiplatform component cables are $15... a little more than 1/3 the price of the official 360 cables.

Just a word of warning about those cables. I recently bought some to hook up my old Xbox via component and they were turrrrrrrible. I wound up returning them because purple fuzzy lines constantly scrolled up the screen. Might be different for different systems though, my 360 is awaiting its coffin so I couldn't test them with it.

Not interested in rock band game bundle, I considered the BB but really only one of the four games is of interest to me. If I go the CC route would buy online. My tv is 720p would the HD cable make much of a difference over composite on my current tv.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get all my cables from monoprice now. They're so inexpensive it feels like stealing when you buy them. Their HDMI cables are very nice quality. Optical and HDMI cables don't much matter because digital is digital. But when talking analog those obscene $90+ cables might be better. But paying $35-40 for an HDMI cable you can get for $12 with an extra 2ft from monoprice is just crazy.

It depends. Do you want a fighting game that you can take seriously, or one that is mostly mindless fun? I'll leave you to decide which is which.

Honestly, I'm thinking about just ordering from New Egg. Free shipping. No tax. However I'm in a different situation than you are: I merely need the console to replace my now out of warranty and broken 360. I already have everything else (two controllers, HDMI cables, 120 gig hard drive, etc.)

[quote name='cochesecochese']SFIV to hold you over until Capcom vs. Tatsunoko[/QUOTE]
CvT comes out next month in Japan, so you could have that a couple months before SFIV. Chances are pretty slim it'll be brought stateside anyway.

And to answer the OP's question, there isn't a debate. Get the good game. Its like choosing between a steak and a happy meal.

I used 3rd party $20 VGA cables and got BAD interference..the screen would shake and wiggle....upgraded to the official MS ones and have had no problems...if you go VGA, just make sure the shielding is good

Both games are 'More of the same', but imo, that's a good thing.

Gears has the better single player experience.

CoD has the better multiplayer experience.

Both games have some kickass coop modes.

I couldn't decide between hordes of Locusts and hordes of Zombies, so I got both games.

Yeah, if you didn't like Gears 1, Gears 2 isn't going to be likely to change your mind. It is better, but it plays the same so huge changes.

I liked CoD4, but mainly for the multiplayer. The single player was fun the first time through on normal, but it's way to cheap on the harder levels IMO, with all the spots with enemies that infinitely respawn until you reach a magic checkpoint that makes them stop etc. From reviews and posts it sounds like World at War has similar problems in the single player.

I don't have much interest in World at War, the beta was ok, but it was just more of the same with crappier guns and I'm pretty burnt out on CoD multiplayer. I have it on my Goozex list, so maybe I'll be more up for it in a couple of months when I get matched up.

Is the CoD:WaW single player campaign on veteran harder or easier than CoD4's? I found CoD4 on vet fairly simple and fun up until this one level where you have to go in a control room or something. That level took awhile (hours long...it was nuts), but the rest were good...even mile high club. (And the level where you defend the guy by the ferris wheel was sweet cause I just hid in the booth and nade icons were all over the place while I waited for a number of minutes for the copter) For some reason though CoD3 I havent even bothered getting past the first level on vet cause I just found it irritating for some reason. So...I wanna make sure I can get through the SP campaign on vet...and that its not another annoyance like cod3.

[quote name='CouRageouS']CvT comes out next month in Japan, so you could have that a couple months before SFIV. Chances are pretty slim it'll be brought stateside anyway.[/quote]

It's not coming stateside? God damnit.

Has there been any update lately on what lot# would include Jaspers?

I saw as late as 841 today, which to my understanding means the 41st week of 2008, which would be....what, the first/second week of October?

Any help is much appreciated.

To my knowledge there STILL haven't been confirmed Jaspers, at least as of the last update one of the tech sites did.

I may wait until next year, when I'll be sure (?) I can get a Jasper, then give my Falcon to my girlfriend.

Hi guys.

I've got a question about hooking up a 360 to a monitor via VGA cable.

How does audio output work? I see that the VGA cable has red and white RCA cables(I think?) and I don't think those can fit in my PC. What I really want to do is hook my 360 up to my monitor and hear its sound through my headphones. Is there an adapter that will allow me to do that? If so what is it called?

Sorry if these are really basic questions but I'm completely ignorant when it comes to audio.

Thanks for any help.

I have my network connection set up like this, Modem->Router->Pc(Wired), Pc2(Wireless Card), so i moved my 360 upstairs(from a wired connection in which it worked) in hope of using ICS to connect an ethernet cable to the back of pc2(like i have done at my cousins house), but its not working. I' am receiving: your console was unable to negoiate a lease with your DHCP server

Status Codes:
W:0000-000B
X:4001-1001
Y:0000-0000
Z:0000-0000

Any ideas, i've been googling a while and found nothing

[quote name='bhk']Hi guys.

I've got a question about hooking up a 360 to a monitor via VGA cable.

How does audio output work? I see that the VGA cable has red and white RCA cables(I think?) and I don't think those can fit in my PC. What I really want to do is hook my 360 up to my monitor and hear its sound through my headphones. Is there an adapter that will allow me to do that? If so what is it called?[/quote]

The 360's VGA adapter comes with an adapter so you can plug it in to most PC's sound systems. It takes the two normal jacks, and combines them into a single smaller jack that PCs use for input.

You probably wouldn't want to have it go directly to headphones-you'd probably want to run it through your computer or PC speakers first so you can get volume control. If you run it through your computer, you'd have to have it on to hear it, but if I'm remembering correctly you just hear the audio like normal through your PC, mixed in with any other audio your PC is generating. I've used mine like that quite a bit (many reasons you'd want to hook up a game system to a monitor :D )

One catch with using a monitor, is if you have a 5:4 or 4:3 monitor, 360 games will do one of three things (that I'm aware of):

-Display the game in HD, but letterboxed. This is what most games seem to do.
-Display the game in HD, at using the full screen (very few seem to do this, as developers would have to explicitly code a new resolution and aspect ratio).
-Display the game with it's aspect ratio distorted. I've heard of a few games that do this, and know first hand that Tomb Raider: Legend does. I played that at 480p because no other resolution would display right on my traditional aspect ratio monitor. (Still an awesome game though that I highly recommend!)

Sorry if these are really basic questions but I'm completely ignorant when it comes to audio.

Thanks for any help.

No problem, this is really confusing stuff, and it's not like we've had systems you could do this on before!

[quote name='Wolfpup']The 360's VGA adapter comes with an adapter so you can plug it in to most PC's sound systems. It takes the two normal jacks, and combines them into a single smaller jack that PCs use for input.
[/QUOTE]

No problems with the monitor, as with the NXE, my 16:10 monitor will be supported(finally!) But another question based on what you said.

This adapter, does it come with 3rd party VGA cables or just the Microsoft one? Then, where does the adapter go into my PC? the line in jack? and then I can plug my headphones in and hear sound as long as the PC is on?

[quote name='Indiana Jones']I replaced my Pro with an Elite. Anyone know why the Elite ethernet cable is so much shorter? They are the exact same type of cable though, right?[/QUOTE]

Probably just decided to cut costs. I assume it supports at least 100Mb Ethernet so it should be plenty fast enough for the 360.

[quote name='bhk']No problems with the monitor, as with the NXE, my 16:10 monitor will be supported(finally!) But another question based on what you said.

This adapter, does it come with 3rd party VGA cables or just the Microsoft one? Then, where does the adapter go into my PC? the line in jack? and then I can plug my headphones in and hear sound as long as the PC is on?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know it just comes with the Microsoft cables. I think you could get something similar from like Radio Shack or something, but I just got the regular first party cables. And yeah, it just goes right into the line in jack, and at least on my systems the audio played out of my PC just as though the PC was generating it, so it works fine with headphones or speakers or whatever you've got connected to your computer.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Probably just decided to cut costs. I assume it supports at least 100Mb Ethernet so it should be plenty fast enough for the 360.

As far as I know it just comes with the Microsoft cables. I think you could get something similar from like Radio Shack or something, but I just got the regular cables. And yeah, it just goes right into the line in jack, and at least on my systems the audio played out of my PC just as though the PC was generating it, so it works fine with headphones or speakers or whatever you've got connected to your computer.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. that was all the information I needed. thanks Wolfpup :)

I just turned on my 360 and noticed some weird color saturation. It was as if the colors were abit smeared. Restarted the 360 and now its not displaying anything on my tv. I have component cables, and the 360 had been working fine as of Tuesday night (last time I turned it on) so everything is input correctly and the settings are fine as I've been playing on the machine with the same set up for a while now. I have tried restarting several times now and nothing works. .. any suggestions, besides my 360 being fucked?

I just turned on my 360 and noticed some weird color saturation. It was as if the colors were abit smeared. Restarted the 360 and now its not displaying anything on my tv. I have component cables, and the 360 had been working fine as of Tuesday night (last time I turned it on) so everything is input correctly and the settings are fine as I've been playing on the machine with the same set up for a while now. I have tried restarting several times now and nothing works. .. any suggestions, besides my 360 being fucked?

Thanks in advance.

My post got deleted when this was moved, but anyway, if you have an HDMI port, try that. Also, try a different set of component cables. (Or composite, av, s-video, etc)

[quote name='LilPaintballer']I have my network connection set up like this, Modem->Router->PC(Wired), Pc2(Wireless Card), so i moved my 360 upstairs(from a wired connection in which it worked) in hope of using ICS to connect an Ethernet cable to the back of pc2(like i have done at my cousins house), but its not working. I' am receiving: your console was unable to negotiate a lease with your DHCP server

Status Codes:
W:0000-000B
X:4001-1001
Y:0000-0000
Z:0000-0000

Any ideas, i've been googling a while and found nothing[/quote]
where can i find out what my status codes mean.

Not sure, other than Googling it. How do you have it set up? Can the 360 "see" the wireless network? What kind of security are you using? Is the router set up to give out IP addresses?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Not sure, other than Googling it. How do you have it set up? Can the 360 "see" the wireless network? What kind of security are you using? Is the router set up to give out IP addresses?[/quote]
i've been, just getting unanswered threads, its connected through Internet Connection Sharing

[quote name='homeland']I just turned on my 360 and noticed some weird color saturation. It was as if the colors were abit smeared. Restarted the 360 and now its not displaying anything on my tv. I have component cables, and the 360 had been working fine as of Tuesday night (last time I turned it on) so everything is input correctly and the settings are fine as I've been playing on the machine with the same set up for a while now. I have tried restarting several times now and nothing works. .. any suggestions, besides my 360 being fucked?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Mine is having the same problem. It can be "towel tricked" into working for a short while; then the video goes out again. The most common cause for this problem is a bad video card. If you don't want to periodically wrap it up in a towel and overheat it, it can of course be sent back to MS. (hope it's under the one year warranty)

[quote name='doughazelwood']Mine is having the same problem. It can be "towel tricked" into working for a short while; then the video goes out again. The most common cause for this problem is a bad video card. If you don't want to periodically wrap it up in a towel and overheat it, it can of course be sent back to MS. (hope it's under the one year warranty)[/quote]

Of course it isn't under warranty... Shit never works out like that. And of course I'm sures its going to be at least $100 to fix if sent back to MS... which at that point it would be better to get a brand new system for $100 more.

any suggestions on how to initiate a rrod? So I don't get stuck with the bill for ms faulty hardware?

[quote name='Strell']Has there been any update lately on what lot# would include Jaspers?

I saw as late as 841 today, which to my understanding means the 41st week of 2008, which would be....what, the first/second week of October?

Any help is much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Wolfpup is correct in that there haven't been any confirmed (as in with proof!) Jasper sightings. Also Strell be aware that the lot # on the box may be different than the actual console lot # inside. Some teams at Microsoft are taking older consoles and repackaging them in the holiday bundles and slapping a newer lot # sticker on the outside of the box. It's best to check the lot number of the console itself through the little oval cutout flap that you can press in on the box. The lot number will be embedded in the serial # of the console there.

bread's done
Back