The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

No.

EDIT: There have been and probably will be various deals from individual retailers though that might include games.

Question:

I'm considering getting a 2nd 360 for my parents house. Can I use my Live account on 2 seperate machines (not at the same time) with access to my arcade games as long as I'm signed in and downloaded them on the 2nd console? I already have a new xbox (first one red ringed) so logging in everytime doesn't bother me (have yet to move the rights)...I just want to know if I can access all the same stuff on the 2nd console if I buy one.

[quote name='jkam']Question:

I'm considering getting a 2nd 360 for my parents house. Can I use my Live account on 2 seperate machines (not at the same time) with access to my arcade games as long as I'm signed in and downloaded them on the 2nd console? I already have a new xbox (first one red ringed) so logging in everytime doesn't bother me (have yet to move the rights)...I just want to know if I can access all the same stuff on the 2nd console if I buy one.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can, but you'll want to keep your profile on a memory card and plug it in to the respective console you are using at the time.

Why was this thread locked? (And why was I able to unlock it?) I'm still soliciting opinions - maybe from those who actually bought used and got screwed or those who bought used and haven't had any difficulty.

I went over to a friends house last night who was supposed to buy a 360, and he picked up a used one since that's all he could afford. I drove him back up to GS and spotted him the extra $30 to get him an Arcade instead, and I think he'll be happier for it.

The reason this is even a consideration for me is that CC has such a great deal on the Arcade next week. Effectively, buying from GS will cost me about $60 more if you consider the fair value for the 20 gig HD and controller. That's just a tough pill to swallow but I can more easily stomach $30 for the price of a used console.

I may just say "screw it" and get a new one from GS. I already have more in credit than it cost me to get thanks to some timely flips. Can't win 'em all, right? :)

So I just got done playing a game of NHL 09 with a group of racist gamers. Sadly this happens a lot since I am black I made my be a pro character to model myself and 70% of the time that causes problems. All I get is N***** don't play hockey, Obama this, N this the whole time. Anyway today I played on a team of nothing but racist just now and one was dumb enough to send me a message over live telling me to "Quit being black".

I am curious if I can actually have it so Microsoft can listen to that message and hopefully get him banned. I am close to selling the game because CAG's never play it anymore and I get caught with random racist all the time. Also, I have a feeling the new live update is gonna cause even more trouble for me. The way they found out I was the "Black Guy" on the team was buy going through the profiles and seeing that I had a black avatar. Thats how the idiot knew to give me the racist message.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Yes.

If you encounter another player who is exhibiting rude, obnoxious, harassing, threatening, offensive, or other inappropriate behavior, here's what you can do:

MUTE THE PLAYER
This is your most effective tool. If you don't want to hear them, turn them off!

To do this, select their gamertag from the Players list, and then select the Mute option.
AVOID THE PLAYER
The player will become an avoided player which will decrease your chances of playing together in the future.

To avoid a player, follow these steps:

Press the Xbox Guide button.
Under Community, select Player.
Select the player about whom you want to submit a player review.
Select Submit Player Review.
Select Avoid this Player.
Select one of the following general reasons why you want to avoid the player:
Communication
Game Behavior
Player Skill
Select one of the following specific reasons why you want to avoid the player that is based on the general reason that you selected in the previous step:
Communication:Trash-talking, Bothersome Language, Disruptive Voice
Game Behavior: Overly Aggressive, Unsporting Conduct, Quit Early
Playing Skill: Lacking Skill, Too Good, Unfamiliar With Game
After you submit a player review, you return to the Gamer Profile screen.
BLOCK COMMUNICATIONS
By blocking communications from a player, and you won't get any more messages or invites from them. By selecting this option along with the Avoid option above, you effectively remove this player from your Xbox LIVE experience.

To block communications from a player, follow these steps:

Under Community, select Messages.
Select the player who is sending you unwanted communications.
Select Block Communications.
APPLY FAMILY SETTINGS
If you have created an Xbox LIVE account for your child, use the various family settings that are available. Family control settings allow parents to set what times their children can play games, what titles they may play, who they may play with, and control their online experience.

FILE A COMPLAINT
You can file a complaint against another player if you feel that the other player has violated the Xbox LIVE Code of Conduct.

Typically, you file a complaint from the Dashboard. However, if the game has a complaint option, you can also file a complaint directly from the game in between game sessions.

Note: The complaint option may not be available in all games. If a specific game does not have the complaint option, you must file a complaint from the Dashboard.

To file a complaint from the Dashboard, follow these steps:

Under Community, select Player.
Select the player about whom you want to file a complaint.
Select File a Complaint.
Select one of the following general reasons for filing the complaint:
Profile and Content
Communications
Tampering
Select the specific reason that is based on the general reason that you selected in the previous step:
Profile and Content: Gamertag, Motto, Player Content
Communications:Text Message, Voice Mail, Voice Chat, In-Game Voice
Tampering:Feedback Tampering, System Tampering, Cheating
On the Confirm Complaint screen, select File Complaint. If you decide not to file a complaint, select Don't File to quit.
After you file the complaint or after you quit, you return to the Gamer Profile screen.
CONTACT LAW ENFORCEMENT
If you feel that you are in danger, contact law enforcement immediately. We will work with law enforcement directly to investigate.

This info is old, but I imagine the process is similar with the NXE

What he said.

I've found that the NHL community is usually comprised of good people, so that sucks to hear. While I can't relate on a personal level, I do get called a n***** surprisingly often considering I'm a somewhat nerdy pasty white man. Apparently, my deep voice sounds like a black man's voice to the uneducated and intolerant.

I'm not sure if you're still on the CAG team. I don't blame you if you left due to inactivity. But we're back and playing at least one day a week (Thursdays). n8rocker82 had a good group going before I even got in there tonight. You should join us. If we can't avoid racists, we can at least team up to own them in a war of words and then all leave bad feedback, increasing the likelihood of repercussions. ;)

Supposedly they "take every report very seriously" but I've yet to see or hear of anyone getting booted from XBL for anything other than a modded console. Mute, thumbs down/report, and go on with your life knowing that you won't have to hear that ignorant jackass ever again.

I always do the mute, file complaint thing etc. but like most say it never really seems to work. I was hoping there was a way MS could actually listen to the message that the guy sent me since its saved over live for a while. And joining the CAG team again sounds fantastic to me. Tag is RuffStuff84, it will be nice playing with good educated people again.

[quote name='prence']Supposedly they "take every report very seriously" but I've yet to see or hear of anyone getting booted from XBL for anything other than a modded console. Mute, thumbs down/report, and go on with your life knowing that you won't have to hear that ignorant jackass ever again.[/quote]

I actually happen to know who swings the banhammer at MS basically his job is to go through all those complaints they do look through each one trust me.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Well, that's fine. I understand what you're saying. I wasn't trying to suggest you were going to walk into the store and lie. Still, the whole assumption underlying the protection plan is that it is for merchandise that isn't working. I mean, do you honestly think a company is going to essentially let you pay, for example, $50 and just get a new console for no reason? And what would happen if the employee actually asked you what was wrong? I know that has happened to me. Then, you would have to lie...or walk away with no new console.[/quote]

Hate to bring up an old discussion, but wanted to add my two cents. When I worked retail at Sears, we were to push the PRPs (Product Replacement Plan) and one of the selling points was that the product could be replaced "No Questions Asked" during the warranty period. We were also to accept any return/replacement that was covered and it didnt matter if the device worked or not. In the case that it *did* work, we slap an "as is" or "open box" type sticker on it and put it back on the sales floor.

There was no dishonesty involved with exchanging a working product under a PRP.

On a completely unrelated topic, how do you get your gamer card / NXE avatar to show up here on the forums as a signature? Thanks In Advance!:bouncy:

Just keep filing complaints each and EVERY time someone does something against the Terms of Use. The only way it makes a difference is if people use it.

I'm black, but I haven't been called the n-word directly. However, the second I hear it at all on Live I report that person. I don't say anything to them at all since arguing with someone incapable of logic or intelligent thought is futile, but I don't let any of those fools off the hook by not reporting them. I've reported entire lobbies in Halo 3 before.

The last time I played hockey online was back in the original Xbox days, but my mic was always broken so I never heard anything.

[quote name='Goodeye']I actually happen to know who swings the banhammer at MS basically his job is to go through all those complaints they do look through each one trust me.[/QUOTE]

Your friend must me the only person who works there. OXM tried to get banned for language a while back and couldn't.

Sorry that has been happening. It happens quite a bit on COD4 and CODWAW. I also love being called a homosexual for lack of a better word just because I capture the flag or headquarters like I am supposed to when everyone just wants kills.

How long have you guys been black gamers? Bad Doug Williams reference....

I honestly believe that once your IQ drops below a certain number you are given free access to Live. The younger the person the worse their racism and cursing, it's actually quite sad. Messages and stuff on your bio hold more power than just reporting someone for "saying" something in a game. I just report the retards but have always assumed they never check reports unless they get X number about the same thing. Think how many people they'd need to follow-up on every report.

i just agree with them people always make fun of me once you agree with them they stop, and if you dont want them to think there "right" then mute file complaint, theres really not to much more you can do

[quote name='torifile']I've got a boatload of GS credit and I'm thinking of picking up a 360 refurbed from GS. $169 for a core with wireless controller seems like a decent deal (is it?). My question is: is the likelihood of a failure any more or less great with a refurbed unit? Is $169 a good deal for a core with a wireless controller? I have enough to buy a new 60 gig unit but then I have no money left for Live or games. I don't want to spend any "real" money on this deal so I want to stay below $300 in GS credit. What do you think?[/quote]

I give you exhibit A why buying a used system from Gamestop is a bad idea. People trade in crap or things about to be crap.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5143698#post5143698

[quote name='kobeisgod']I got email from gamestop regarding the trade in bonus. Anyone know what the non-HDMI xbox 360 trade in value before the $40 is? Can you remove the harddrive? I was thinking with some bundles on sale for $200 I'd be nice to get at least half the payment with my tradein because my current 360 freezes but has not yet given the RROD.[/quote]

A refurbished piece of crap, is still a piece of crap.

Save yourself the trouble and buy a new 20gb for $250. Arcade for $200 is also a nice alternative if you are short on cash.

Question:

Sorry if this is a repost. Going to buy another 360 since my launch one failed on me. Interested in the new Pro 60 Gig version. What is the best way to transfer my info from my 20 gig hd to my 60 gig hd? Also, is there anything else I need to do so that way my experience coming back to Xbox Live is an easy one?

[quote name='MrDubbs']This may have been answered somewhere, but how come my games play in Dolby Digital, but none seem to have 5.1? Is there any games that do?[/quote]

Anyone?

[quote name='hostyl1']Hate to bring up an old discussion, but wanted to add my two cents. When I worked retail at Sears, we were to push the PRPs (Product Replacement Plan) and one of the selling points was that the product could be replaced "No Questions Asked" during the warranty period. We were also to accept any return/replacement that was covered and it didnt matter if the device worked or not. In the case that it *did* work, we slap an "as is" or "open box" type sticker on it and put it back on the sales floor.

There was no dishonesty involved with exchanging a working product under a PRP.[/quote]

Well, the whole "no questions asked" usually is associated with all such plans, but usually, they refer to damage done by the buyer, as opposed to normal warranties, which generally don't cover such things. As I think I mentioned in another post, I worked at CompUSA for some time, and though we did the same thing as your Sears (put returned products on the floor as "as-is"), we still tried to discourage people from bringing in perfectly good items. At the end of the day, stores will still lose money on such exchanges, even if they can get a decent amount of an "as-is" product. Again, the whole point of these plans if that the majority of people will never use them. If they lose enough money in the long run, they would stop such practices.

I think I may went a bit far to say "dishonest," but depending on what store you are dealing with, there may actually be "questions asked"...basically, "What's wrong?" So, if nothing is wrong, you would have to lie.

[quote name='ruffinra']I always do the mute, file complaint thing etc. but like most say it never really seems to work. I was hoping there was a way MS could actually listen to the message that the guy sent me since its saved over live for a while. And joining the CAG team again sounds fantastic to me. Tag is RuffStuff84, it will be nice playing with good educated people again.[/QUOTE]

Invite sent.

I agree the COD games are always filled with idiots. What gets me is how if anyone not from America gets online everyone just goes off on that person for no reason. I love those games but it seems like 90% of the community that plays them are womanizing racists.

I was in a game the other day were two white guys decided it was funny the make black players with the names child rapist and child molestor. Their goal was of course to get the most penalty minutes so they could show off how cool they were.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']
I'm black, but I haven't been called the n-word directly. [/quote]

:shock:

What the hell? Why did I never know you were black?

On a related note. I barely do anything anymore. Most of the time I have my headset turned so far down that I cant hear anyone in the first place. But those times where its really bad I do report them but I doubt anything will ever happen.

The system seems like a crock.

This reminds me of one of the most offensive gamertags I have ever seen. This was a while ago back when I first got my 360 I was playing CoD3. I am rarely ever instantly offended but this one just came out of no where when you saw:

Jewsburnnginovens
entered the game. Now it was slightly different because he had to abbreviate some stuff but that is what is spelled out. That blew my mind and it was the day I lost all faith in XBL complaint system.

[quote name='Soodmeg']:shock:

What the hell? Why did I never know you were black?

[/quote]

Beats me. I remember talking about it in some thread here on CAG (I think it was about the racial makeup of CAGS or something).

I remember reading the oxm aticle were they tried to get banned. They got their approval rating down to almost 0 % and they still couldnt get banned/ I think MS just shrugs the sh*t off.

one of the reasons I stopped playing Halo 3 was because of the racism. I don't need a bunch of kids yelling the N-word in my ear. what pissed me off the most is that they don't have throat-punch technology, so I can't whup their asses over the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Soodmeg']

Jewsburnnginovens
entered the game. Now it was slightly different because he had to abbreviate some stuff but that is what is spelled out. That blew my mind and it was the day I lost all faith in XBL complaint system.[/QUOTE]

I along with a few other CAGs encountered a guy named "TastesLikeBertJew" in a game of Uno. Apparently, he had used similar names in the past.

Also, I knew Guile was black from the wrestling threads.

It would be great if MS did suspend/ban a lot of these shitheads and maybe it will calm down all the hate/idiocy that is so rampant. For as much racism/homophobia etc on Live I've never heard of anyone getting suspended for it.

Ok ms Ping time is a big deal in gaming right now I have about a 50ms Ping time. And I find that in Gears of War 2 and MK vs DC it becomes a problem.

Sometimes Lag Latency theres nothing you can do about that sinces its Xbox Live.

But Ping from your local ISP Broadband provider there should be something I can do on my end? I hope

If its cable, they'll tell you there's nothing you can do. Are you running wireless? I hard wired my connection because I got tired of timing out all the time.

Are you running computers with the same connection? Believe it or not, it may be the solution. Unless you have a terrible internet provider, this shouldn't happen very often.

If that is the only thing running on your comp, I'm not sure you can do anything to reduce it. If you have stuff downloading, turn it off and you will see a huge jump.

I don't think a 50 ping is bad though.- At least for pc gaming it isn't

Here are a few solutions:

-if you're using wireless, connect the cord.

-make sure any downloads are paused/cancelled and any programs actively using the internet are exited.

-go into your router settings and make sure you have the proper Xbox live port open ( http://portforward.com/ )

-if all else fails, upgrade your ISP.

Sorry for the dumb question, but how do you find out when your Xbox Live subscription ends without calling? Also, they don't auto-renew right? I've tried xbox.com to find out but to no avail.

[quote name='Littlefields']Try going to MyGamerCard.net again to get a new code.[/quote]

Nothing works. Do I need to be a member of the site before it shows up?

Yeah that was the article that proved to me the entire system is useless.

[quote name='slickkill77']I remember reading the oxm aticle were they tried to get banned. They got their approval rating down to almost 0 % and they still couldnt get banned/ I think MS just shrugs the sh*t off.[/QUOTE]

I fixed I fixed it !!! (shouting) I can really feel the improvement in Gears of War 2

at&t Fast Access DSL Techs fixed it. I was on an INTERLEVE Profile provisioned at the DSLAM. They took that off and put me on a FAstPath Profile on the DSLAM ping now 40ms to low 50's

love at&t FastAccess DSL I have the Term Agreement I only Pay $10 per month but had to sign a 2 year contract and got Free Modem.

Best Part is I am on 1.5 MB and 256kbps up But my speeds are about 1.7MB to 384kbps up.

Love it. after some minor tweaks
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/bellsouth/5.0_Connection_and_Tweaking#5626

This site has it all.

When a customer is put on a "Noise Profile" usually their DSL line is changed from FastPath to Interleaved.

So if you Have DSL read up. Also my Line attenuation and SN db are excellent

Interleaving is an error correction protocol that is implemented for your line at the DSLAM. With Interleaving enabled, the DSLAM can correct errors in the data stream it receives before passing that data to your gateway router. It is usually implemented on noisy or marginal lines and can greatly increase sync stability and effectively eliminate "first hop" packet loss. The largest drawback to Interleaving is that it will increase your ping time, specifically to your first hop gateway router.

If Interleaving is not enabled on your line, it is configured as FastPath. FastPath allows the DSLAM to pass the data received from you to the first hop router without performing any error correction. As a result, marginal lines could experience an increase in packet loss and decrease in sync stability (i.e. frequent sync loss). However, FastPath has lower ping times, especially to the first hop router.

The BellSouth DSG (Digital Services Group) is responsible for manually adding or removing customers from a Noise Profile. Interleaving can also be provisioned automatically without human intervention when line quality drops below certain perimeters.

Good freaking grief is that awesome! You're paying $10/month for DSL? I'm paying $25, and that's for SLOWER speed (with Verizon-it's their cheapest service as far as I know)!

Oh well, at least my DSL is still a lot cheaper than my cable internet service was.

bread's done
Back