The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

the same reason you you can get a 120GB harddrive for $55 but the MS one will cost 3 times that. MS do it because they can.

I actually got a 1 terabyte one for 250 a few months ago. :p It's annoying how that works. That used to be my main beef with apple, they do that big time with their mac lines. Special everything with limited third party support. Grr.

How do you guys think I would fair if I were to call MS up and pretended I red ringned?

I am a bit hazy on what exactly the warranty is though, it definitely has been less than three years since I got it repaired last though, and three years is the current standard I think.

I could also just pedal the console off to game crazy or game stop. I am kind of looking at getting an elite pretty soon here anyways and am not sure if this would all be worth the trouble.

I have the one in the middle I do believe. I am currently using my bro's xbox though, so I'm not sure, I'll look into it.

gamestop and gamecrazy will test it, you'd get shit for it

msft will test it, find out you lied, and charge you $99 plus shipping

not to mention you probably wont get the rrod warrenty, as you probably wont get the explanation of whats wrong with the console right

just be honest, and you cant be faulted for anything

[quote name='Wolfpup']To play them online through Live you'd need two gold subscriptions and two copies of all the games.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense, needing two live gold subs. How about for the downloadable games? Obviously I would need to copies of a disc-based game, but could I set up a sub-account or something that has access to the same downloads? I think PS3 allows that.

Yeah, be honest, best bet if you get the answer "No." Is to just call again until you get a "Yes." Or something. They may not cover the Drives, but they may fix it for you. I'm not to sure how Microsoft works.

I just setup a network and connected my PS3 and Wii but for some reason my 360 will recognize the network but only as WEP secure (it is in fact WPA) so I can't enter my key. Any help would be appreciated...oh and I have an old XBOX wireless adapter (may be the issue) and a Linksys WRT54GL router. Sorry if this is covered in the main sticky but I have to head to work in about 5 mins.

It most likely is the old Xbox Wireless Adapter, the 360 probably will not support the Driver on the adapter. Best bet is to get a 360 Wireless Adapter, but maybe others can tell you more about this problem then I.

[quote name='Lint21']That makes sense, needing two live gold subs. How about for the downloadable games? Obviously I would need to copies of a disc-based game, but could I set up a sub-account or something that has access to the same downloads? I think PS3 allows that.[/quote]

You can use downloaded content on two xbox's. I do it all the time. The trick requires having you're live profile on a memory card. If you have a primary xbox that you use, don't buy the content on that xbox, but rather plugin your memory card on the alternative xbox and buy the content. Xbox live content is always registered to the xbox you purchase it on. Then sign in on your primary xbox and download the content a second time. You can actually download and use the content on any number of other xbox's, but you will always need to be signed on xbox live to use, it.

So, the content is always available to everyone on the first xbox you download onto, and to any xbox that your signed onto with your xbox live account. I do this specifically to allow my kids and all their friends who use the kids xbox access to content, and allow me to use the same content on my xbox.

On a more personal note, I hate the fact that each person using an xbox needs their own xbox live account and cannot be given access via a single xbox specific account.

I have to keep 3 xbox live accounts active at all times :(

Call MS and say you have RRoD. I had E74 and claimed RRoD and my shit got fixed. The worst that can happen is they send you back your not quite broken Xbox and you fix the drive yourself.

Hey i'm not sure where to post this but as some of the UK members may know GAME are having a "huge" sale on at the moment. and they've got Too Human for £7.98, now this was actually my most wanted game of the year but I never got it after reviews/playing the demo. But is it worth £7.98 at all?

Thanks

I have a 360 with HDMI port. I'd like to be able to connect it to my TV via HDMI, but don't want to spend the nearly $40 for the Microsoft Cable. Can I just buy a regular HDMI cable to connect it to my TV? I think I read somewhere that there's a cheap way to do it. Anybody know?

I tried the demo and found it very boring. Feel bad for the people who worked on the game for years, and then find out that it really sucks. Lol. Go figure.

I don't know how much 8 pounds is in American Dollars, but I'm going to say it's 16 american dollars, which is pretty cheap for games.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I tried the demo and found it very boring. Feel bad for the people who worked on the game for years, and then find out that it really sucks. Lol. Go figure.

I don't know how much 8 pounds is in American Dollars, but I'm going to say it's 16 american dollars, which is pretty cheap for games.[/quote]

it's around 12 american dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say it's worth it. (I paid more...) I didn't like the demo and thought it wasn't going to be that great. I played co-op with my friend and it was pretty cool, better than I thought. It is sorta short though. Still at $12 it's good for co-op fun.

Damn what in the hell is up with my 360? Out of nowhere it's become loud as HELL. It was never like this before. Is it about to crap out or something?

Yeah thats what I thinking for £8 surely I could do alot worst. Well i'll see i'm really at a deadend for games at the moment I just want to play something inexpensive.

I say pick it up, because that game is seriously cheap. I say pick it up if you're not to sure, and try it out yourself. Worst possible thing that could happen is you don't like the game.

I would get it for that price. I rented when it came out, only get a little bit of time with it, but I liked what I played. Its a game that for me I am watching when it hits ~$20 or so I will pick it up.

I've yet to delve into the full game but I liked the demo. And thats a better deal than I got. Picked it up for 20 at Amazon the day after Thanksgiving here in the US

That used to happen to mine just no way near as loud. Man thats crazy I think MS repaired mine. I remember the woman on the phone said "Normally we wouldn't do this, but i'll make an acception." I think she liked my voice :) haha

I'm looking for suggestions from CAGs about games to check out on the 360 for someone who hasn't played video games for a while.

I was an avid gamer when I was a kid, but the last consoles I owned were the SNES and Genesis, which gives you an idea of how old I am. I stopped playing video games and did other stuff for about a decade. But I follow the industry and all this talk of 2008 being the best year for video games ever has made me come crawling back.

So what's a former gamer from the 16-bit era to do on the 360? I've never played online and I'm a little intimidated by Xbox Live, but I'm interested. Where to start? What are some of the older, inexpensive must-play titles, single-player or otherwise?

And what the heck do you do with all those buttons on the 360 controller?

I'd second Castle Crashers. Like some of the best beat em ups of the 16 bit era. I would also look at Pac-Man: CE if you want to get back in the swing of things. As Manatee said, the demos are probably the best place to start.

[quote name='Astroman']I'm looking for suggestions from CAGs about games to check out on the 360 for someone who hasn't played video games for a while.

I was an avid gamer when I was a kid, but the last consoles I owned were the SNES and Genesis, which gives you an idea of how old I am. I stopped playing video games and did other stuff for about a decade. But I follow the industry and all this talk of 2008 being the best year for video games ever has made me come crawling back.

So what's a former gamer from the 16-bit era to do on the 360? I've never played online and I'm a little intimidated by Xbox Live, but I'm interested. Where to start? What are some of the older, inexpensive must-play titles, single-player or otherwise?

And what the heck do you do with all those buttons on the 360 controller?[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of demos on both the retail and arcade side, and you use those buttons to play the games. The future isn't scary...

Retail games that can be had cheaply:

Bioshock, Orange Box (Portal alone is amazing), Dark Sector, Conan, Saints Row

XBLA games:

Portal: Still Alive (if you dont get Orange Box .. but you should get Orange Box)
Bionic Commando
Hexic
Geometry Wars

Guilty Gear 2: Overture will be an absolute shocker to him, in a good way! $40 new at Game$top. That's $20 off. And of course you could get Guilty Gear X2 #Reload for the original XBOX, backwards compatible with the 360, for less than $10 used at Game$top.

Dead or Alive 4 might bring back the days of Street Fighter 2 for him. It can be had for cheap now.

Speaking of SF2, there's Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix which will also be a shocker if he has an HDTV. $15, if I'm not mistaken.

To show him how far games have advanced since he left, The Orange Box is amazing for that. It's the quintessential "this is what video games can do today" game. Can also be had for rather cheaply.

I don't know if he made it to 1995 to play the original SEGA Rally, but SEGA Rally Revo will bring him right back to the Model 2 days. I got it $30 new at Game$top last summer.

And of course there is the plethora of classic arcade game ports released on XBLA. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is an all-time favorite of mine. They're all rather cheap, and if they've got online play, they're an even better deal.

Check out Crackdown

and i'll second:

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
Castle Crashers
Pacman: CE
Orange Box
Bioshock
Geometry Wars 2

[quote name='Manatee']Download lots of XBLA demos.

Some games you might have missed

• Dead Rising
  • Bioshock
  • The Orange Box
  • Forza Motorsports 2
[/quote]

If you haven't gamed in a while, don't play Dead Rising. The horrible save system will turn you off to gaming again.

[quote name='Malik112099']If you haven't gamed in a while, don't play Dead Rising. The horrible save system will turn you off to gaming again.[/quote]

I didn't even think about that. Sorry, lapsed gamer.

[quote name='Astroman']I'm looking for suggestions from CAGs about games to check out on the 360 for someone who hasn't played video games for a while.[/quote]

Current gen entry level games, check out the Game Marketplace Demos for these:
BioShock (First person shooter that immerses you in an art deco world under the sea)
Burnout Paradise (Very forgiving driving game that encourages you to race and crash expensive cars)
Civilization Revolution (Strategy game that I hear is very good)
Crackdown (Third-person game where you eventually can leap over buildings and swing a street light pole like a baseball bat)
Culdcept SAGA (Magic the Gathering meets Monopoly. Very addictive game)
LEGO Batman (Can't go wrong with a LEGO game. Check out the retail version of LEGO Starwars if you like this one)
Ninety-Nine Nights (I don't like it but you pretty much only have to press one button)
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe (Should be very familiar 2d-sidescrolling gameplay for a SNES/Genesis owner)
The Force Unleashed (Third-person Starwars game that lets you play as Vader, for a little while)
Viva Pinata (Collect and micro-manage animated pinatas in a virtual garden)
For some 8-bit and 16-bit nostalgia you can check out these demos from the 360's Game Marketplace Arcade. It's not a complete list, but a good start:
1942: Joint Strike (Shoot-em-up style game very much like NES 1943 game but with updated graphics)
BC: Rearmed (HD remake of original 2d side-scroller Bionic Commando)
Castlevania: SOTN (One of the better sequels to the original Castlevania and still a 2d side-scroller)
Mega Man 9 (New 2d side-scroller made recently to look and play just like Mega Man did on the 8-bit NES)
Pac-Man C.E. (Much improved version of original Pac-Man)
Prince of Persia (2d side-scrolling platformer based on original but with HD graphics)
Sonic The Hedgehog 1 & 2 (Classic 2d side-scrolling platformers from the Genesis)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (Remake of original fighting game with HD graphics)​

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've been playing Bioshock as my first next-gen experience, and all I can say is WOW. F*&%ing amazing stuff.

bread's done
Back