The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

volt if the person you are referring the game for plays on-line alot Left 4 Dead is the choice, if not I'd advise to stay away from that game.

[quote name='bhk']Do the arcade models still come with only the composite cables?[/quote]

They only come with regular RCA A/V cables (red, white and yellow). You have to buy Composite HD or HDMI cables separately. Go wth HDMI if your TV is compatible.

Mirror's Edge is kind of unlike any other game out there, so he may like it or not. Any interest in XBLA titles? I've heard a lot of good things about Geometry Wars 2 and I love Braid.

[quote name='Richlough']Dude you'll be googling "how to kick yourself in the balls" later, if you don't get the premium .[/quote]

lol

I'd go the other way and just get an Arcade. If you're not going online now, there really is no big use for the hard drive. The 512MB will be enough for game saves. And if, by chance, you *do* find youself wanting to get online, you could always find a used 20GB HDD on ebay for like 30 bucks. This way, you'd have the best chance of getting the newest hardware revision and you'd pay less to have the full hard drive functionallity.

[quote name='hostyl1']I'd go the other way and just get an Arcade. If you're not going online now, there really is no big use for the hard drive. The 512MB will be enough for game saves. And if, by chance, you *do* find youself wanting to get online, you could always find a used 20GB HDD on ebay for like 30 bucks. This way, you'd have the best chance of getting the newest hardware revision and you'd pay less to have the full hard drive functionallity.[/quote]

Thats exactly what i was thinking. Plus i heard there a sale at the circuit city where i live that u get a free 20GB HDD with the purchase of a 360 Arcade :applause: Hurray! For curcuit city going broke:bouncy:

[quote name='volt1up']The person Im getting them for dosent have LIVE[/QUOTE]
You don't need a Gold account to get XBLA content. You can get it with a free silver account.

CoD4? But by the looks of it he/she isn't really into much on FPS type of games.

Tales of Vesperia is a good JRPG with a non conventional combat. Last Remnant I heard was an okay game, but you might want to read up on it. Eternal Sonata have a really good combat system (kinda bordering on the action-rpg side), but the story is compeletely intelligible. If STALKER was available for the 360, I'd recommend that too.

If I'm wrong about the whole "not liking action" games, I also suggest Dead Space.

+1 for Oblivion. I think it's better than Fallout. Other than that, I think he's going to need to try some new stuff. Dead Space was good enough, but not superb.

[quote name='torifile']You don't need a Gold account to get XBLA content. You can get it with a free silver account.[/quote]

Maybe he meant no Internet on his 360

I was reading reviews for the Wal-Mart exclusive 'dragon' (ugly) controller... and a few mentioned that it had an improved d-pad.

Can anyone confirm this, or is it just people trying to convince themselves it's better, like when the red one came out? I'm curious because, ugly or not, an improved d-pad beats out any visual crapness.

Would there be any potential problems in using a used 120gb hard drive? I bought an Arcade and bought the refurbed 20gb hard drive from Microsoft. I want to get a larger hard drive now and am now considering getting a used one that's stated by an Amazon seller to be pulled from an Elite bundle.

Hey does anyone know approximately how much bandwidth playing on Xbox Live uses?
I'm on a cap, about 5GB, and I want to make sure I don't go over.

Also, when I go to network and sharing center, it shows the days that my connection has been active and how many bytes have been sent and received. Is this essentially how much bandwidth I've use in those days? If so, is the bandwidth I've used the sent figure or the received one? It says I've receieved like 500,000,000 bytes whereas I've sent only 100,000,000 bytes, so if I've already used 500MB of bandwidth...then...well....yikes!

Thx for the response :D

You need to get off that capped internet junk. Your sent and received is your total usage. I would suggest not being signed into xbox live while playing single player games. Just being signed in uses bandwidth since you are constantly updated with who is online, messages, etc.

[quote name='Spades22']So I combine my sent and receieved to see how much I've used?[/quote]

Yeah its like a cell phone plan. Your total minutes is made calls plus received calls.

I have a new HDTV ordered on the way, has HDMI inputs (1080pm etc Samsung 40 in. (Diagonal) Class LCD Full HD (1080p) Television
Mfr. model# LN40A630M1FXZA), I decided just to go with a normal HDMI cable output with my 360 since I do not have a receiver, err I went to monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10243

and see err there are many types, which one is the correct one for about 3-6 feet?

I am assuming that Video Cable - HDMI Ver. 1.3 is the correct type for the 360 i think?

[quote name='guardkitty']I have a new HDTV ordered on the way, has HDMI inputs (1080pm etc Samsung 40 in. (Diagonal) Class LCD Full HD (1080p) Television
Mfr. model# LN40A630M1FXZA), I decided just to go with a normal HDMI cable output with my 360 since I do not have a receiver, err I went to monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10243

and see err there are many types, which one is the correct one for about 3-6 feet?

I am assuming that Video Cable - HDMI Ver. 1.3 is the correct type for the 360 i think?[/quote]

it doesn't matter..just buy the cheapest HDMI cable you can find.

[quote name='Malik112099']it doesn't matter..just buy the cheapest HDMI cable you can find.[/quote]

Ok thank you! Also to make sure, the HDMI csarries both video and audio thru it to the tv?

I'd make sure it's 1.3. I guess the 360 doesn't actually support the newest standard, but most stuff does, so if you're going to reuse the cable for anything else...

And yeah, HDMI supports audio and video. It's basically just DVI with audio included and a different shaped connector.

Didn't want to clog up the main forums with this...Do any CAGs use Verizon DSL and Xbox live. I currently have cable internet (but I hate my cable company) and it has to be the slowest connection ever. I hate the cable company. But I also hate lagging on Xbox live.

Anyone use Verizon DSL and have luck with it? Opinions for or against? Thanks!

It should work well. I don't know if it matters how fast your connection is. Verizon (and all DSL companies usually) have multiple speeds to pick from for different price points. I don't know if it matters if you get something above the slowest level or not. I just pay for the cheapest they offer, but I don't care about online, and have never played online with my Xbox on this connection. (My PS3 seemed okay, but then I've only played it online maybe twice with it.)

It would be interesting to know if the speed matters. Could be more an issue with latency. I know with some early broadband people with modems could be just as well off, in terms of online gaming.

Could someone recommend some good games that do not require a super fast xbox live connection? Stuff such as Carcassone, Uno...and ya...what else is there?

For one being on the satellite broadband wagon I can tell you which games work with high latency.

Any arcade game really, Small Arms you teleport around and people get mad lol
Burnout Paradise
Burnout Revenge
DiRT (since you're just racing someone's time)
Far Cry 2
GTA IV
Perfect Dark Zero

Thanks...for the record though, castle crashers DOES NOT work with a crappy connection ;).
I think I'm going to get Burnout Paradise though, since it's cheap now.

I have my eye on the official Xbox 360 Wireless adapter at my local CC, right now it's 69.99 and there is dozens, I might pick it up if it drops ten more dollars or so. instead of running about 60 feet or so of cat 5 i was wondering what your guys experiences with the adapter .

[quote name='guardkitty']I have my eye on the official Xbox 360 Wireless adapter at my local CC, right now it's 69.99 and there is dozens, I might pick it up if it drops ten more dollars or so. instead of running about 60 feet or so of cat 5 i was wondering what your guys experiences with the adapter .[/quote]

I have 2 of them on each of my 360's (one downstairs and one upstairs) and have never had a problem with them.

[quote name='Spades22']Thanks...for the record though, castle crashers DOES NOT work with a crappy connection ;).
I think I'm going to get Burnout Paradise though, since it's cheap now.[/quote]

Yea I've been unsuccessful to finding games with CC as well but that's normal with my high ping. Too bad, its a blast to play with others.

Ok so on 9/24/07 I purchased a 20gb Xbox 360 from walmart. Went in and said they could sell me a $30 2 year extended warranty. I thought it was from microsoft so I did buy it . Today my xbox 360 is making a very weird noise when I play any disc.. It can be games dvds anything. Then it just keeps spinning and says open tray with no error. I let it cool down since it was running kind of hot then pick it up and it sounds like something is loose in there. Tried a disc head cleaner and nothing. Anyways from my understanding MS covers the 360 for 1 year but has anyone ever used the walmart warranty. I dont think it's through them since it says on the reciept to go to some website. Do you think I could just take it back to walmart and exchange ? If not has anyone ever sent it in through walmart and how long does that take ?

[quote name='Ox1de']Ok so on 9/24/07 I purchased a 20gb Xbox 360 from walmart. Went in and said they could sell me a $30 2 year extended warranty. I thought it was from microsoft so I did buy it . Today my xbox 360 is making a very weird noise when I play any disc.. It can be games dvds anything. Then it just keeps spinning and says open tray with no error. I let it cool down since it was running kind of hot then pick it up and it sounds like something is loose in there. Tried a disc head cleaner and nothing. Anyways from my understanding MS covers the 360 for 1 year but has anyone ever used the walmart warranty. I dont think it's through them since it says on the reciept to go to some website. Do you think I could just take it back to walmart and exchange ? If not has anyone ever sent it in through walmart and how long does that take ?[/quote]

I would guess you follow the instructions for the warranty you bought. I'm thinking that might work.

Is it safe to sell my old 20 gig hard drive after I do the data transfer to my new 120 gig? I mean will the 20 gig hard drive be wiped clean so no personal info will be on it?
Also where is the best place to sell the old hard drive and transfer kit?
Thanks!

The warranty you bought was through a 3rd party. Microsoft or Wal-Mart will not be the ones fixing or replacing your Xbox.

You should have received a pamphlet that has the ToC and phone number to call if you need a repair. If you don't have this, just go to your local Wal-Mart and ask at either the service desk or electronics counter if you can have one of those pamphlets.

What will happen is that you will have to send it in to the third party company and they will either repair it themselves or give you a new Xbox. I'm not sure how long it takes either.

Hopefully this will help you out some.

I recently moved in with my Girlfriend who lives on a HUGE tree nursery in Georgia. They cannot get dsl there however even though its located on US HWY 1 one of the busiest highways in Ga. She has Hughes Net satellite internet there but Im thinking it wont be fast enough for Live...any thoughts? Or solutions?

will it work at all? or with Psn? I seldome even play my games online and use it mostly for downloading new games, demos, and game add ons.

I don't know if you will be able to connect with XBL via a satellite connection. You should contact XBox to get a confirmation. Even if they do allow you to connect, I doubt if you will be able to do much more than download from the service.

There are two issues with a satellite connection: Upload speed (around 50k or so last time I checked); and high latency. The latency issue would be the main problem with online games.

[quote name='DCriminal']I don't know if you will be able to connect with XBL via a satellite connection. You should contact XBox to get a confirmation. Even if they do allow you to connect, I doubt if you will be able to do much more than download from the service.

There are two issues with a satellite connection: Upload speed (around 50k or so last time I checked); and high latency. The latency issue would be the main problem with online games.[/quote]

Yeah there's CAG on here by the name of spybreaker I believe and he has satellite, and pretty much like DCriminal said he pretty much can only download content off the marketplace. I think he may be able to play some XBLA games online, but you're not going to be able to play Halo/CoD/Gears/Madden, etc.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah there's CAG on here by the name of spybreaker I believe and he has satellite, and pretty much like DCriminal said he pretty much can only download content off the marketplace. I think he may be able to play some XBLA games online, but you're not going to be able to play Halo/CoD/Gears/Madden, etc.[/quote]

Lol tis I, yes exactly, no FPS:( I've got Wild Blue which is actually less than Hughesnet with speed due to overbooking. We want to switch to Hughesnet but I'm taking online classes atm and can't not have internet. You'll be able to play most arcade games and connect to live easily no problem. The high ping is your biggest concern with any real time games like Halo, COD or Gears.

bread's done
Back