The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='icedrake523']I called to cancel live since I forgot about the auto-renew which kicked in a few days ago. The guy said if I wanted to cancel it, I risk losing my achievements and gamer score (I think he mentioned some thing else but I don't remember). Is this true or is it an empty threat used to scare you into letting them keep your money?

I told him I'd hold off and think about it.[/QUOTE]

Definite empty threat. I sold my 360 in 2007, all of my achievements and gamer score was still there when I bought another one this past week.

I wonder if they're on commission or something, that they'd lie like that. Or else just don't know what the hey they're talking about.

Heck, I've got THREE accounts technically, and none of them have ever had Gold. First one I was locked out of for not using for too long (yay!)

Third one I started over with my fourth Xbox, WITHOUT having it associated with a Hotmail account, because I thought maybe the first one locked me out because I hadn't logged in to Hotmail for too long-Hotmail has some fairly short period like that were you lose the account.

With all the stuff associated with this stuff now, they should probably just store this junk forever now-I mean especially as soon as they started "selling" things with these accounts!

So I really have close to 9000 gamer points, I think-which actually still isn't a lot, considering I bought it at launch, but I don't play death match, and I don't do too much extra for points.

Okay, I know there used to be a list of all the Netflix insant stuff that was in HD. I've searched around on CAG but I cant seem to find it.

I have a doubt about the license transfer for marketplace content.

I'm considering buying an older, used 360 from a friend that wants to upgrade. It would be a secondary console, for movies and light gaming.

The system is still under the 3 year warranty. From what I've read, marketplace licenses are transferred automatically as part of the repair process. That means that if I ever have to send it in for RROD, they'd be transferred to this console instead of my main, correct? :bomb:

Has anyone gone through this?

I know I could use the transfer tool to assign them back to the main console, but I already used it this year in a warranty exchange. Maybe if i bother them enough over the phone they'll reset it or something.

Has this happend to anyone else?

My dvd drive is acting up and whenever I play an arcade game it starts to spin for no reason (has been occurring like months now). Well to fix this I usually eject the tray and then close it using the button on the system. The spinning then stops after it spins it to read what the disc is initially.

Just now I was updating an arcade game and when I went to put the DVD back in closing the tray, the 360's power led on the front flashed multiple times and then ejected the DVD. This happened like 7 times and so finally I tried closing the tray and shutting off the 360 although it restarted. The tray opened up and after a minute, and after logging in, I tried it again with the damn thing staying closed this time. Holy shit, repair seems close.

Last edited by a moderator:
That DEFINITELY sounds like a hardware drive problem to me (I mean unless there's somehow some software that can get totally corrupted on the 360, but I doubt it).

Ok, I have one of the new Xbox 360 Elite systems (Fall 2009, Jasper mobo - 12.1 PSU). I've had it set up for about 3 days now. It has worked perfectly until I noticed something for the 1st time today. I do have the system sitting vertically, as I don't have much room - besides, it just looks cooler.

So, I rented Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 today. After playing for about an hour, the disc started making a grinding noise (or like it was spinning super fast, but more than normal). Now, I understand discs speed up when playing FMV and such, but this was an abnormal sound - kind of high pitched. So, I removed the disc, restarted the system and put it back in. Same thing. I then put in Batman: Arkham Asylum...same thing. Then I tried COD4, worked perfectly. So, I thought that maybe it could just be the way those games stream data from the disc.

Well, out of curiosity, I removed the game and powered off the system. Set it horizontal and it sounded perfect with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 - no noise aside from the quite hum of the system fan. I then sat it back vertical and it now also sounds great - as if nothing ever happened. I also checked the discs and, luckily, there are no scratches from when it was making the "grinding" noise (that was my first thought when I heard it).

Any clue what the deal was? Maybe just a one time fluke? Something to be concerned about? I don't want to swap out the system, as I've already done my license transfer and cannot do again for another 12 months, unless it's a Microsoft repair (in which it's a part of the repair process).

Generally, I assume it's better to play it horizontal, rather than vertical (primarily being that vertically, it somewhat blocks the side vent, since it's now on the bottom). But it's made to go either way, so that shouldn't make a difference then, should it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

~ Darkstrider

*Oh, and don't get me started on those Play and Charge kits. I went thru 6 exchanges before I found one that works with my controller... Microsoft has some SERIOUS compatibility issues with those things. With all the probs I've had with the upgrade to my new Elite 360 (I had a launch 20GB system), between the P&C kits and the disc noise, I'm really starting to regret it, as it's turning out to be more trouble than it's worth (for now, anyway).

[quote name='Scorch']It has more issues when vertical. Lay it down.[/QUOTE]
Agreed! That is another MS flaw, unfortunately.

Bought a used copy of Lego Star Wars 2 from a seller on half.com, cheap, and when it got here the disk looked perfect. Only problem is when I put the disk in and hit play the unit freezes. I try to install it to the HD and at 86% it says the disk is dirty. Washed the disk a few times and still not working.

I'm wondering if I rent it, install it to the HD, then put my disk in if it'll play or freeze up again. Anyone ever have something like this happen?

Did that already. Got a refund, but the others for sale are twice the price, which I can't afford. So was thinking of trying what I posted above.

That actually happened to me with Halo 3. My disc would freeze and wouldn't install 100%. Got another disc that installed 100% and was able to use my original defective disc to play through the game. Can't guarantee the same thing will happen for you, of course...

O.K. Thanks for the input, guys. Think what I may do is just leave it vertical for now and see if it does it again (could have just been a one time thing). If not, great. If so, I'll switch it and keep it horizontal. :D

Wow, that sucks. I did purchase a brand new game once (ages ago on the original Playstation, I honestly cannot remember what game it was). When I got home and put it in my system, it was a sports game. However - the case, manual and disc label was for the game I purchased. Never understood that one. I took it back and got another one and it was fine.

So, I got the new Elite with 120GB HDD. I rent my games from Gamefly. If I were to install the game when I start playing it and remove it when I'm done (being that I play one game at a time, from start to finish) to save wear and tear on my disc drive - do I have to worry about HDD fragmentation over time slowing down my system, being that I will be constantly installing and deleting data? There is no option (that I am aware of) to defrag the 360 HDD. The Dashboard is slow enough as it is, lol. Hopefully the new Fall update will fix it.

Ok, I got the chance to play around with my 360 some more, now that I'm off work. Luckily, it's working like a charm so far - I still have it vertical and the issue has not resurfaced. I even sat it horizontal again and tested Batman (running off the disc) and compared the drive sound to the vertical position. They both sound identical (normal). I rented WET and played the 1st two missions off the disc. Then I quit and installed the game. WOW!! It's amazing how much more silent it is compared to running it from the disc! (not to mention it loads MUCH faster)

I've been having some problems with my Xbox starting up lately. It's a new Arcade version with the Jasper chipset. I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue...

Basically, once a week or so I'll try to turn on the Xbox and it'll seem to power up, but there will be no video/audio signal to the TV. I don't think it fully starts up, cause the controllers don't connect either. I've tried using different AV cables (both HDMI and component) as well as unplugging/replugging just about every connection. The only thing that works is to remove the HDD, power on (everything will work with the HDD removed) and then shut it off and plug the HDD back in. After that it works fine but it'll eventually happen again.

I bought my HDD off eBay and the seller is willing to replace the drive for me. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and if there is a permanent fix other than replacing the drive. I'd rather not go through the trouble since I don't have a data transfer / migration kit and I don't want to send the seller my HDD with all my info on it for him to transfer.

I'm trying to get a transfer kit from Microsoft but I haven't heard back since faxing in my form a few days ago. I'll give them a call later today, but I think I might have better luck borrowing a cable from a local CAG.

Yes, installing games is the way to go if you have a big hard drive.
But with it vertical, the CD drive may have been a bit more angled, and perhaps more loose, which caused it to make that noise. For example, on my laptop, once in a while it just starts making this loud vibrating noise that is quite unusual. This is because of the disc being loose and the dampening not working properly due to the position. So don't worry about the issue. Install your games, or run it horizontally.

And technically the new "Elite" is just the base model. They only changed the color and doubled the drive space from the 60GB one.

I like that Modern Warfare 2 bundle...I mean a game, a Jasper unit (we presume...), and a 250GB drive for $400 sounds like a nice replacement for my 20GB Falcon...except I don't like Call of Duty 2/4 all that much, and don't want a Call of Duty branded system.

Ugh, last time they did a branded one for a game I might actually care about is Resident Evil, only it was super ugly looking :whistle2:/

I wish had the money to upgrade right now. $400 for that bundle sounds pretty damn good to me. What's a realistic amount you think I could get for my pre-Falcon with a 120GB HDD?

And technically the new "Elite" is just the base model. They only changed the color and doubled the drive space from the 60GB one.

I like that Modern Warfare 2 bundle...I mean a game, a Jasper unit (we presume...), and a 250GB drive for $400 sounds like a nice replacement for my 20GB Falcon...except I don't like Call of Duty 2/4 all that much, and don't want a Call of Duty branded system.

Ugh, last time they did a branded one for a game I might actually care about is Resident Evil, only it was super ugly looking :whistle2:/

Personally I'd just take whatever Gamestop gave me, though I'm not a risk taker :lol: By rights it shouldn't be worth much. I mean a pre-Falcon used 360 and a used hard drive are not exactly the best investments of all time :whistle2:/

I bet these 250GB bundles are going to get a bunch of us to upgrade over the coming year! Hope they have some other pack besides Call of Duty (and hopefully in other colors).

I *think* I may actually keep my Falcon though, as I could use it in the living room for Trivial Pursuit and Scene It, or to take to friends houses or whatever :)

Cool, thanks for the explanation, MicrosoftGuy. It's nice to have a reasoning from someone else who has experienced similar issues. :)

As long as I know the "noise" isn't damaging to the game or system, I'm good to go. Still gonna be keeping an ear out for it, but I think it's fine now.

Had it happen to Xenogears which was a long time ago. Seems like now a days I have much better luck with used games, well I guess its partly because I buy from ebay sellers where the games usually come from adult gamers. That just sounds like a weird way of putting it but you know what i mean.

Replaced my play and charge kit because the battery wasn't charging, the LED turned green even when the battery was empty. The new kit is doing the exact same thing. I tried cleaning the gold contacts on the controller. Any ideas?

Mine just started working for some reason. Try turning the controller off and on while the console is on. Re-synching the controller with the Xbox might work too.

Ahh yes MS hardware once again at it's finest. I have the same problem with two play and charge kits. Of coarse I bought a second to replace the first one crapping out. Here's the kicker the batteries are not dead. Most likely they have just lost their charge. This usually happens if you haven't played for about 4-5 days.

Fix is this: Keep plugging the charge cable in to the controller waiting for the LED to turn from red to green and repeat until it stays red. This can take about 6-18 tries. Or about 5-20 minutes. I almost gave up many times but eventually they will take the charge. If you have a charger pack that actually plugs into the wall you can avoid the whole plugging in 15 times ordeal but hey this is the cheapass way to do it.

[quote name='shocktopper']

Fix is this: Keep plugging the charge cable in to the controller waiting for the LED to turn from red to green and repeat until it stays red. This can take about 6-18 tries. Or about 5-20 minutes. I almost gave up many times but eventually they will take the charge. If you have a charger pack that actually plugs into the wall you can avoid the whole plugging in 15 times ordeal but hey this is the cheapass way to do it.[/QUOTE]

That worked for me. Took about 10 tries.

I remember what I originally did if it would turn green right when I plugged it in was this. Plug the cable in the controller, but not the full way. Just enough, so you should get a red light. Once that appears, plug it in fully and it should charge. Works for me the first time usually.

Hey, I'm thinking about getting a memory unit and I've just got a couple of questions about how I can use it.

1) If I move my profile to the card, and the card gets misplaced, can I still use the "account recovery" thing on my Xbox or am I basically boned?

2) I know I can put arcade games on there, but could I put DLC for a game on there (like some Rock Band songs) and then use it on a different Xbox?

3) On the DLC issue... if my profile is on the card, and I use it in a different Xbox, can I re-download the DLC to the second Xbox and use it whenever my profile is signed in? So in other words, the DLC would be on both Xbox's hard drives, but it would only be usable when my profile was signed in? (I assume that whatever the rule is here would apply to trial versions of arcade games as well).

Thanks for any info you can give!

[quote name='BustaUppa']
1) If I move my profile to the card, and the card gets misplaced, can I still use the "account recovery" thing on my Xbox or am I basically boned?[/quote]

Nope, you can use "account recovery" and it'll redownload the profile no problem. Using a memory card to move your profile between systems is the way to go.

I *think* if it fits you can, but of course the memory cards are only 512MB (so less than that really...and those are the newest, biggest ones!)

[quote name='BustaUppa']Hey, I'm thinking about getting a memory unit and I've just got a couple of questions about how I can use it.[/QUOTE]
Though I've never used any memory unit, I would look into the $40 Datel 2GB memory unit. You can use any micro SD card up to 16GB with it.

Are you sure that works? In previous generations, third party memory products never worked. Cool idea though.

Anyone recently sent out there x box for repair? On the seventh it said that UPS has my billing information but Microsoft has yet to give UPS my package. How long does this usually take?

Another question:

Are there restrictions on USB keyboards? Will pretty much any one work? What about wireless ones with a USB receiver/dongle? Is there any keyboard that comes particularly recommended for 360 users?

I'm thinking of getting one for the upcoming WWE game that will let you type your own dialogue. Wouldn't wanna bother without a keyboard!

bread's done
Back