The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

Two years ago, I bought a Xbox 360 from a person for $250. It was a Pro model that included a 20 GB HDD, and it also was one of the first models from 2005. To my amazement, it still hasn't red ringed yet.

The reason why I'm considering on buying a new Xbox 360 is for the following reasons:

1. The disc tray gets "stuck" every once in a while.
2. Sometimes (actually very rarely) games randomly stop and say that the game cannot be read, and then it works fine about a reboot.
3. It's a launch console. The risks of becoming a RROD console are very high, and that it has no warranty would also put me in a tight situation if one would happen.
4. I got a HDTV, and of course, this is a 360 that came before the newer consoles put the HDMI slot on the console.

If I do decide to go through this, I plan on getting a Arcade console and just popping my current 360 HDD to it. I have a friend that may buy my old one off of me and I'll just give it to him for probably $100 since the console can potentially brake on him (he's aware of the current/possible future issues).

So any advice on what I should/should not do? It would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='YodaEXE']1 year that covers pretty much everything, from date of purchase. 3 years for RRoD and E74 errors.[/QUOTE]

Well knowing how it's been nearly four years since the console launched with no RROD, I'm pretty sure the warranty is as good as dead. =/

got a bit of a question:

I'm planning on picking up one of the 360 Elite Holiday Bundles at the end of the month and I had a bit of a concern about the cables included in the package. I'm seeking clarification on what type of cables are included with the unit, that way I can decide if I need to buy cables for my new HDTV.

Thanks!

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It comes with a dual-purpose cable that handles both composite and component.[/QUOTE]

so like the old cables the older elite models had? with the switch between TV/HDTV?

Awesiome, that'll work!

Thanks!

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Is there an option to mute all incoming VOIP (mic chatter)?[/QUOTE]
Still wondering since I won't mind selling my wireless headset with the CAG discount (prize from Club Bing). Should be here in 3 weeks.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It comes with a dual-purpose cable that handles both composite and component.[/QUOTE]

Wrong, it's just composite now. Why answer a question when you don't even know what you're talking about.

Actually, that's incorrect, they stopped including those. Now you just get a composite cable with the Elite bundles. I know because I bought one of the holiday bundles with Lego Batman & Pure. It came with the composite only and the checklist on the side of the box shows "standard definition" for the AV cable on both the Elite and Arcade.

Edit: apparently I was beaten by two minutes while checking my Elite box. ;)

[quote name='mikeohara']got a bit of a question:

I'm planning on picking up one of the 360 Elite Holiday Bundles at the end of the month and I had a bit of a concern about the cables included in the package. I'm seeking clarification on what type of cables are included with the unit, that way I can decide if I need to buy cables for my new HDTV.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The Arcade and Elites only come with composite cables now. If you are going to use HDMI on a new HDTV, then the point is moot. The best place to order cables online is www.monoprice.com.
Here is a very nice 10ft HDMI for $5.
Here is a 360 component.
Here is a PS3/360/Wii component.

Q2: Can Microsoft points be redeemed at the official website?
Looking at some fair deals on eBay and want to make sure I have enough for Shadow Complex when I open the X360 on X-Mas eve.

[quote name='gordojones88']Wrong, it's just composite now. Why answer a question when you don't even know what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, calm down. Those were in the box for a long time. It's called a mistake. I'm sure you never made one of those, right?

[quote name='gordojones88']Wrong, it's just composite now. Why answer a question when you don't even know what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Wow, is it really a need to insult the guy for answering a question? Sorry, but those cables were included with the 360 for quite some time. If I had seen the question, I probably would have answered the same thing. There's no reason to discourage people from trying to help others in the community, especially when his error was not exactly a completely stupid one. It's not like he said something that's off-the-wall. It was a simple mistake that I bet a lot of people could have make. Next time, correct the person and move on. It's a sign of maturity.

Alright I need to setup my 360 wireless now and I am trying to avoid paying $88 bucks for the new official one on Amazon. Was reading something about updating firmware on a 2nd router, sounded complicated and I'm worried I won't get it to work, and end up buying the official adapter anyway.

[quote name='freshzen']Alright I need to setup my 360 wireless now and I am trying to avoid paying $88 bucks for the new official one on Amazon. Was reading something about updating firmware on a 2nd router, sounded complicated and I'm worried I won't get it to work, and end up buying the official adapter anyway.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you're thinking about upgrading the router to DD-WRT firmware and using it as an access point. If that's the case, I'd say its about easy to moderate difficulty if you don't know what you're doing. You need to make sure you have a router that is compatible. There is always the possibility that you brick your router when you flash it, rendering it completely useless. But if you have a spare router lying around that you don't mind messing up, its a pretty good alternative.

Btw official 360 G network adapter is $39.99 at Sears.com. Can get it price matched in stores. You might want to check that out.

[quote name='freshzen']Alright I need to setup my 360 wireless now and I am trying to avoid paying $88 bucks for the new official one on Amazon. Was reading something about updating firmware on a 2nd router, sounded complicated and I'm worried I won't get it to work, and end up buying the official adapter anyway.[/QUOTE]

The WRT-DD upgrade is not difficult but it can be problematic and will depend on your existing main AP how easy it will be to get going. It is definately not plug and play.

I did the following. I purchased two TrendNET routers that support WDS. This basically allows you to do bridging. You can usually find this for $80 or less. I placed one in my living room and because it has four ports, I have my XBox 360, HTPC (Win7 Media Center), Samsung TV and Blue-ray Disk player (BD Live) all hooked up to that. They are now able to use wireless N to my second TrendNET router which sits in my office.

Besides plugging everything in, it took all of 30min to hookup and get all my devices working. If I need even more ports, I can just add a switch to my first router and I am all set.

If you only need wireless for the XBox 360, the least problematic and least expensive way is to get things going is the Microsoft G Adapter if all you want access to XBox Live. If you also want to stream video from say a Media Center PC to your XBox, wireless N has a H-U-G-E perfromance difference.

If you need multiple devices to connect, the trendNET routers are cheaper than getting multiple specific adapters.

my launch 360 recently RRoD and i am planning on replacing it with one of the newer models since i heard there are smaller better chipsets in them. i have a few question regarding them though.

1. are the arcade and elite models generally the same machine but arcade just not with the large hard drive? if i get an arcade and just put my old hard drive in it, i dont have to worry that the arcade is inferior to the elite?

2. was my RRoD to my launch 360 in part due to me installing the games to its hard drive and it just having a hard time playing them? or am i ok to keep installing games to my new 360. or is it just better to keep them played from the cd tray.

3. is it ok to put launch 360 hard drives onto newer 360 models without worrying about it ruining or messing up in future incidents.

4. what is the general tasks when it comes to new machines and getting your gamertags onto it with no online available.

thanks for who is able to help.

1) Yes, they're pretty much the same except for memory size.
2) No. Installng games should help avoid the rrod since the system should run cooler.
3) The system doesn't care what HD is has on it as long as it's an official MS HD.
4) Without online, there's not much you can do. You have to get online to unlock the downloads. At the least transfer the license and get online once. That should take care of it.

1) Same.
2) Nah, keep installing them. Safer for your discs.
3) Perfectly Fine.
4) As longas you have the profile saved to your HDD, its no problem. Though when you do get online, you may want to do a liscense transfer, though i'm not sure about that.

If you need to use any arcade games and dlc without having your profile logged in you'll need to go online to do the license transfer, but other than that everything will work the same as before with just keeping the hardrive as long as you are using your gamertag.

1. Is it possible to mute all incoming mic chatter in the dashboard menu?

2. Is there an option to disable the "achievement pop-ups" on-screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me an idiot but I didn't see any particular information concerning what kind of cable needed to enjoy HD gaming,,,

I've been using the red/white/yellow cables so far but I am at loss for what to get to enjoy the next step in visual awesomeness. All I know is that the tech who installed ATT uverse was surprised that I didn't do it for my Xbox as well.

Any help? Thanks

[quote name='kamui34']Thanks![/QUOTE]
Get an HDMI cable from Monoprice. Don't pay high prices.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']1. Is it possible to mute all incoming mic chatter in the dashboard menu?

2. Is there an option to disable the "achievement pop-ups" on-screen?[/QUOTE]

1. Yes. It's in your profile somewhere. (My Xbox -> [CAG Doomed] -> settings -> Communication or something)

2. No.

I was using a VGA connector to hook up my 360 to a monitor and using the audio connection to plug into sound card my sound card on the computer (so i can use a headset) I just upgraded the monitor to one with HDMI inputs but it has the worse sounds form it (plus I can not plug in headsets into the monitor nor is there a line out form it). Since I am using the HDMI port, do I need a special adapter to port out RCA audio out of the xbox? Or would it be easier to use a headset like the Tritton 180 to port out the sound

Is Xbox Live acting up for anyone else recently? It keeps disconnecting me for no reason at random; once last night and three times this afternoon. I thought my internet might be going out at first, but that and the cables are perfectly fine.

I can immediately connect again, but it's really annoying getting dropped over and over.

[quote name='DiscoDuck8k']Is Xbox Live acting up for anyone else recently? It keeps disconnecting me for no reason at random; once last night and three times this afternoon. I thought my internet might be going out at first, but that and the cables are perfectly fine.

I can immediately connect again, but it's really annoying getting dropped over and over.[/QUOTE]

Yeah man, welcome to the holiday season. Last year they were out for 11 days so its actually been a lot better this year.

Even from 3-6am I get kicked (6 times tonight in just a few hours). It happens so frequently I think it must have something to do with my connection. Usually after Live drops, it won't let me rejoin parties/games when I've signed in again either.

I wish I could figure out the issue, this is becoming quite the problem.

got a quick question bought an extra 360 to play when I got another RROD. I transferred all my licenses to the new arcade and figured I would use my old one as a media center in my bedroom. My question is I know i have to download a patch to play files off a flash drive. Can i just get a memory card create a silver account and download the patch that way? or do i need a gold account?

Do you have a gold account, if yes, then you need to buy a memory card, xfer your profile on to that, and then you can redownload all your content onto the second machine. The only restriction will be that your memory card will need to be plugged into the second machine to use the content. I do this to share content with my sons xbox and mine.

[quote name='stoned99']Do you have a gold account, if yes, then you need to buy a memory card, xfer your profile on to that, and then you can redownload all your content onto the second machine. The only restriction will be that your memory card will need to be plugged into the second machine to use the content. I do this to share content with my sons xbox and mine.[/QUOTE]

Ah cool i'm not really worrying about content just the ability to play video files files on it, Now i need an actual 360 memory card right? I can't do the transfer with a normal flash drive. Thanks for posting

Well if it's a 1 off thing you could just recover your profile to the other xbox, download the firmware updates, and then recover the profile back to your primary system. But honestly it's 15$ for a used 64MB card at gamestop, and it gives you no end of flexibility.

My controller keeps on losing connectivity to turn on my 360, but when I turn on the 360 manually and keep the controller on, it reconnects. A bit of a annoyance, anyone have this problem before? Or I am I just getting on my last legs for my controller?

Assault Heroes or Alien Breed? They seem like the same game expect in one your on foot and the other in a car. Assault Heroes is 400 points cheaper so I think I'm gonna get that. Is Alien Breed worth it or should I stick with Assault Heroes?

[quote name='matto1233']Assault Heroes or Alien Breed? They seem like the same game expect in one your on foot and the other in a car. Assault Heroes is 400 points cheaper so I think I'm gonna get that. Is Alien Breed worth it or should I stick with Assault Heroes?[/QUOTE]

Yeah stick with Assault Heroes and use the money you save to get the 2nd one when you finish the game lol. Assault Heroes is also a blast co-op so find a friend and see how far you can go.

are the castle crashers dlc's worth getting? i might be wrong, but there arent any extra levels, just guys and weapons.

What are the correct video settings for the Xbox on a current gen LCD-LED lit Samsung? I can't remember what I had my last Xbox set to, and I kind of randomly set the new one to:

Reference Levels: Intermediate (standard is default...no idea what to pick)
HDMI Color Space: Auto (standard is RGB)

Also I think this has been posted before, but when I first slapped my hard drive on here, it wouldn't auto-load my profile.

I tried recovering it, which didn't fix it. Then I tried DELETING it (and not items associated with it) and recovering, and that seems to have fixed it, resynced whatever.

I rarely ever use my wireless 360 controller since my play and charge wire is broke, rechargeable AAs I have don't fit, and I don't feel like using up regular batteries. I put some new regular ones in today since I changed my setup but it's not working. Holding the guide button and pressing the sync didn't work. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

UPDATE: I googled and this came up

http://www.fixya.com/support/t451718-xbox_360_controller_will_not_turn

I did what was suggested (the reply with pics) and it works great now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using the vga cable as a hook up to my monitor forever. Just got a dell s2409w and was wondering if i could use this http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10419&cs_id=1041901&p_id=2398&seq=1&format=2

I was using two 17 in dells one for my computer and one for the xbox. I want to use the vga port for the computer, the hdmi port for the PS3 and was wondering if this would work by just using the component cables by using the DVI converter? Any help would be appreciated.

I dont know if i should be posting this here but i would love to know any good places on Long island that can fix my out of warranty xbox under 100 bux anyone know?

I just moved into a new house, and my Xbox started getting a RROD right away. It's close to a door that adjoins the garage, and I noticed that it was pretty cold to the touch. Is it possible that this isn't a "real" RROD and that the Xbox is just freaking out due to being colder than usual? It actually plays everything normally and runs fine, it just has a flashing RROD the whole time.

Wait...it works but the lights are flashing? I've never heard of that. The errors I've encountered it won't boot (at least not past an error screen), but maybe there are some where it can? You might want to double check the connections, as some eXX errors can be from connections not being plugged in right (although then I think the thing won't boot...so that's weird!)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Wait...it works but the lights are flashing? I've never heard of that. The errors I've encountered it won't boot (at least not past an error screen), but maybe there are some where it can? You might want to double check the connections, as some eXX errors can be from connections not being plugged in right (although then I think the thing won't boot...so that's weird!)[/QUOTE]Yeah, I've watched full movies while the three lights were flashing and everything. There was only one time where the Xbox outright wouldn't start. Since then, the lights have still been there but everything functions normally.

I got an interesting new problem with my 360, the sound glitches out and at first it was just cutting out every second or two then it would work for a few minutes and cut out for like 15-20 seconds. Happened again where the sound would cut out for 15-20 seconds and then come back on and work normally for several minutes. Anyway both times I just turned the system off and then back on again and it worked fine. I think I might have to keep my eyes open for an elite deal, and try to dump this thing off with some kind of trade in promo while its still working.

bread's done
Back