The Guild Wars/2 Topic *Its Out All the Way Now!*

Okay - I'm going to ask what is possibly the noobest of all noob questions evAR:

What is the significance of the HoM and its relevance to GW2? I remember getting access to it while playing the original at some point, but never really did anything with it and honestly don't even remember what it was for, much less what would prompt all the discussions about it now. :whistle2:#

Its two different things sort of.

The HoM in Eye of the North is a place to look at some of your achievements. If you bought elite armor sets you could display them there, or you could display your mini pets, or you could display your followers/heroes/ranger pets. It was a place you could bring your friends and show off.

In Guild Wars 2, the HoM still exists and is a place you can go to claim your rewards from doing achievements/titles/whatever in Guild Wars 1. This rewards you with things like armor and weapon skins, titles, pets, and other neat cosmetic stuff that other people who haven't done the achievements won't get.

Basically, if you played Guild Wars 1 and got some titles, you can link your old account to your GW2 one and get some rewards. People refer to this entire system in general as HoM, so when someone says HoM, they are usually referring to how many achievement points they got and the rewards they will be earning, not the actual structure itself.

[quote name='enigma']Okay - I'm going to ask what is possibly the noobest of all noob questions evAR:

What is the significance of the HoM and its relevance to GW2? I remember getting access to it while playing the original at some point, but never really did anything with it and honestly don't even remember what it was for, much less what would prompt all the discussions about it now. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Guild+wars+2+hall+of+monuments

In short, it's a grind fest to unlock rewards for GW2.

If you want the long answer, see the link provided or look at GW2 wiki.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Its two different things sort of.

The HoM in Eye of the North is a place to look at some of your achievements. If you bought elite armor sets you could display them there, or you could display your mini pets, or you could display your followers/heroes/ranger pets. It was a place you could bring your friends and show off.

In Guild Wars 2, the HoM still exists and is a place you can go to claim your rewards from doing achievements/titles/whatever in Guild Wars 1. This rewards you with things like armor and weapon skins, titles, pets, and other neat cosmetic stuff that other people who haven't done the achievements won't get.

Basically, if you played Guild Wars 1 and got some titles, you can link your old account to your GW2 one and get some rewards. People refer to this entire system in general as HoM, so when someone says HoM, they are usually referring to how many achievement points they got and the rewards they will be earning, not the actual structure itself.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='HydroX']http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Guild+wars+2+hall+of+monuments

In short, it's a grind fest to unlock rewards for GW2.

If you want the long answer, see the link provided or look at GW2 wiki.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I just installed the game again and logged on and I have a ton of gift boxes in my characters inventories. As in, my one character alone has FIVE. What's the best thing to do with minis now-a-days? Sell them?

[quote name='enigma']Thanks for the replies, guys.

I just installed the game again and logged on and I have a ton of gift boxes in my characters inventories. As in, my one character alone has FIVE. What's the best thing to do with minis now-a-days? Sell them?[/QUOTE]

Dedicate them if you want the HoM rewards. Sell duplicates to get more potential cash for HoM.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Dedicate them if you want the HoM rewards. Sell duplicates to get more potential cash for HoM.[/QUOTE]

Trade duplicates to others in order to fill up that section of the HoM easily. You could potentially try selling a super ultra rare one if you can find a buyer, and use that cash to buy mats/weapons. Getting the first 10-15 points in the HoM is pretty easy, 15-30 requires a decent chunk of time, and 50/50 is downright insane.

http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=...AA&todo=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :D

edit: we should seriously get a GW2 only thread started, decide on a server, and get the word out

I assume by that you mean a GW2 CAG Guild. Like I said earlier, I think the numbers would be small but if somebody is willing to play with a small Guild then its no problem. All the servers will be well populated, but if you don't admit anybody but CAGs into the GW2 CAG Guild, it would have small numbers.

yea i think the cag guild will just have to exist as an unofficial friend list thing.

i'll think of a new question of the.. whatever.

and this pretty much is a gw2 only thread. haven't seen much gw discussion for awhile and i doubt there will be so much of it as to be distracting. its not the fastest moving thread anyway. 700 posts in 7 years.

I'd be interested in joining the guild. I recently became super interested in this game but all my buddies are either still too caught up on D3 or waiting for pandas so I will most likely be going solo.

Alright our discussion question for the whatever is:
Which class are you planning on making your first character and why?

And not just because you like it. What do you like about it?

Personally I'll be making an engineer first because the bomb kit is so ridiculously powerful and fun that I have yet to find a regular group of enemies I couldn't take out with it. Coupled with the engineer's rocket jump skill, it makes the class very mobile, gives you a way to cheap out jumping puzzles, and deals a shit ton of aoe damage while being good support by switching to turrets. Its the jack of all trades class to me and has an answer to every situation and seems to be built around that theme.

Well in GW1 a monk was my main toon, but they took that away from me. I tried out all the classes, and the elementalist seems the most complicated, convoluted, and unique, so I am going with it. The whole changing elements instead of weapons seems interesting.

I think I may choose the server with the most wretched sounding name, just because I want to play on a low population server. And I may very well start the game up, create all my characters, log off, and not return for a couple months. GW1 underwent huge changes those first few months, and based on how the last BWE went, I expect the same from GW2.

I still have no idea what profession I'm jumping on. Been thinking about the Mesmer, Ranger or Engineer and cannot seem to make up my mind yet...I am a little turned off by talks that the Mesmer is like a weaker version of the Elementalist...

i have ocd when it comes to these games some i'm itching to get started filling in every objective and getting the medals. its part of what kept me from playing too much of the beta, i hated that my exploration and such was just going to get wiped so i held back a bit.

i think this is a much better system than the border hugging in guild wars for map explore %.

Well crap. I just realized I don't have the tapestry for the mini shrine. Ugh. I'm not even sure if I'm sufficiently equipped to tackle quest necessary to acquire it. :wall:

If you just play the EotN campaign I believe you'll get all you need. By the time you 100% EotN you'll likely have a few spare. Or you could hit up the Kamadan trade channel and buy one for cheap.

Tried a few classes over the beta weekends and I think engineer fits my playstyle most. My favorite combo was rocket jumping in and then using the knockback attack to send enemies flying. Probably going to use that as my main character for grouping, and then give a warrior a shot for my first alt, but I'm not sure. The melee combat still didn't seem up to par with the ranged to me.

I just got something called an Everlasting Zhed Shadowhoof Tonic. I didn't even realize it was a tonic at first since it came from a birthday present. Is this rare? And if so, what's it worth? Or should I keep it?

Sorry guys. I guess I never realized how little I actually "know" Guild Wars. :oops:

Tonics were given instead of minis for birthdays at year 6. I'd largely say they are worthless given they cant be added to the HoM and there isnt a whole lot of demand for them.

From the last beta weekend. Mesmer seemed to mesh with me the most. The class did great with both Greatsword and Sword/Pistol or Dual Sword Combo. Though mesmer seems a bit squishy.

I'm going Warrior this time around. In Guild Wars 1, I mained an Elementalist (over 450+ hours played as her), so I expected to be an Elementalist this time around but I didn't like them in the beta. They seemed way too underpowered and I don't like the idea of having to farm 100 skills due to all of the weapons. Warrior seemed to be about right balance wise and will fit in well with my group composition with my friends.

18 days to go!

[quote name='Triggerhappy14']I'm going Warrior this time around. In Guild Wars 1, I mained an Elementalist (over 450+ hours played as her), so I expected to be an Elementalist this time around but I didn't like them in the beta. They seemed way too underpowered and I don't like the idea of having to farm 100 skills due to all of the weapons. Warrior seemed to be about right balance wise and will fit in well with my group composition with my friends.

18 days to go![/QUOTE]
I felt the same about the elementalist. Warrior was my main class in GW1 but I always enjoyed playing elementalist more. I figured it would be my main in GW2 but the first beta event I played as one and it sucked. Only the dagger skills had any appeal to me and I could not get the hang of the class. I wanted AoE nuking from the Ele and once I found the bomb kit on the engineer, any plans of being an ele for me vanished.

Maybe if I spent more time getting all the skills I could find something to work with, but like you, I didn't want to waste all that time grinding to unlock them. When the actual game is out it won't be so bad, but for the first beta, we didn't even know if our characters would carry over to the next event.

[quote name='Genocidal']Tried a few classes over the beta weekends and I think engineer fits my playstyle most. My favorite combo was rocket jumping in and then using the knockback attack to send enemies flying. Probably going to use that as my main character for grouping, and then give a warrior a shot for my first alt, but I'm not sure. The melee combat still didn't seem up to par with the ranged to me.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAB2924A9E519382A

I watched all these and I still can't freaking decide! They all look so much fun (well except maybe the engineer for me).

And I finally got to 30/50 today. Now I can go poop in peace. :booty:

I also accidentally unknowingly made an extra Grotto armband and boots not knowing HoM only takes one set of a particular elite armor (already had the pants and chest from long ago).

That's bad ass. I totally regret not getting the CE now. In fact, I regret it so much, I just placed the pre-order at Amazon for it even though I already bought and registered the Digital Deluxe Edition. I was planning on picking the girlfriend up a copy of the game anyway, so I'll just give her the code out of the CE and keep the rest of the stuff for myself. :cool:

PS. Is there going to be some bonus for registering a CE as opposed to a DDE? Like in Diablo III, you got a Feat of Strength achievement. Am I missing anything by tossing her the code from that one or am I overthinking it?

Unboxings aren't very interestign to me most of the time but I do see some decent value in the CE based off that video. It is obviously a mighty purchase, thats for sure.

P.S. Looking like the Engineer for me. I like that he can change his kits without any CD time, so he has a varied skillset and not as limited as some other classes.

meh. i haven;t seen a ce that looks like its worth it for a long time. what would you do with that figure? put it on a shelf? the soundtrack will be nice i;m sure but you;ll see it on youtube/elsewhere soon if not already.

the artbook is the only thing i;d want a physical copy of but not worth 100$ extra.

The soundtrack is only maybe 20% of the music.

Here is the real one : http://www.directsong.com/mobile/productdetails.php?productid=2250

And the art book is just the making of, less pages (about 10ish less)

Here is a different, and maybe better one: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/shop/the-art-of-guild-wars-2/

I bought the CE, only because I missed out buying the very first CE of the original.... I have a copy now, but that's just from ebay.

So... statue is very very very nice.... there was a whole 10 minute video of people painting it by hand.

The pictures are probably the best, that and the frame to hold them in... nothing else like it.

I think the CE's are pretty rare, they sold out of them in EU, I'm not sure how many on amazon.... let me check.... wow, Amazon seems to have over 1000+...

maybe not so rare..... but everyone did Pre-Purchase, so I'm sure Arenanet made sure to make more than that.

Thank you for all your help in today’s Stress Test!

We will be conducting a Stress Test on Friday, August 10 from 4:00 PM PACIFIC Time to 8:00 PM PACIFIC Time....

These stress tests are just extra playtime for a lot of people but the fact of the matter is that these days are quite vital to making a solid title at launch. Two back to back "stress tests" clearly show that ANet was not pleased with somebody today and made alterations to test out tomorrow.

[quote name='travathian']Thank you for all your help in today’s Stress Test!

We will be conducting a Stress Test on Friday, August 10 from 4:00 PM PACIFIC Time to 8:00 PM PACIFIC Time....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reminder. I missed yesterday's stress test. The stress test before that one, a lot of people were complaining on the forums (myself included) about how the optimization/performance was incredibly bad compared to the BWEs and previous stress tests. Really hoping that's all fixed now.

As for the classes, here's my default 5:
Necromancer / Human - Main
Guardian / Human - 2nd Main
Thief / Charr
Engineer / Asura
Mesmer / Sylvari

Also going to buy 3 more character slots for the Elementalist, Warrior, and Ranger classes.

Wow, that's a huge box.

Can't wait for this game to come out.

Me and my wife are going to be playing together all the time, depending on what she does guild wise I might sign up with the CAG guild.

I plan on playing a Necromancer then probably Elementalist because they sound the most difficult to play as.

Guild Wars 2 via Facebook
"We will be conducting a stress test TOMORROW Sunday, August 12 from 11:00 AM PACIFIC Time to 12:00 Noon PACIFIC Time."

Odd it's only for 1 hour, but yesterdays stress tests was absolutely horrible for players; nothing but severe rubber banding lag. Towards the end they had a huge warning prompt on their forums asking everyone to use the diagnostic command to create a full system report and email it to them. Most players don't even look at the forums, so I hope they got enough data for it.

I'm sure the stress test tomorrow will just be to test out lag and login issues under...wait for it...stress! These tests aren't done for the entertainment of the players, it is done solely for the purpose of helping THEM figure things out in a live environment.

Funtime will be on the 25th when the game actually comes out and hopefully they will have ran enough tests to have a smooth launch.

We will be conducting a stress test tomorrow Wednesday, August 15 from 12:00 Noon PACIFIC Time to 4:00 PM PACIFIC Time.

We will be actively working on the game during the event, so you might experience connectivity problems or discover features that are not working as designed.

Any issues you experience are a result of the rigorous conditions of the stress test, and are in no way representative of the state of the game at launch.

By participating in this stress test, you’re helping us make Guild Wars 2 a better game. Thanks for your cooperation—we’ll see you in-game!
--
Please note:
* The stress test is open to anyone who has pre-purchased Guild Wars 2.
* Characters will not be wiped from the previous Stress Test.

I agree it isn't an ideal time for a lot of people who work 9-5, but they are working nonstop on this thing. I doubt they want to do a stress test at 8PM until midnight just to help out the people playing.

The official server list has been released here. And here is the list of guilds on which server!

I am really interested in playing with you guys. So server is up to you! I only ask that we go on a somewhat calmer server..

I would expect only one other stress test if one even comes around again. Basically 9 days to launch and a lot of profession changes are being made, so I wouldn't be shocked to see one more so the fans can react to the alterations being used in action.

So I'm being trolled into playing this with some friends since there's literally nothing else to play right now (and it's F2P, so meh). Nobody talks about playing a thief; do they just suck in this game compared to rogues or what? Basically I want to be the biggest dickhead I can be with an asshole class just PKing people all day. I see their stealth is just temporary which is sort of dumb, but I like just running up and killing someone fast and running away. I can already taste the rage tells. . .

First off, it isn't F2P, you still have to buy the game, just no subscription. Second, PvE and PvP are totally and completely separate. So there is no PKing in the traditional sense. In actual PvP, there would be no hit and run. With the thief as soon as you attack you become visible. You might be able to take down a squishy, maybe even two if you are lucky, but the moment a warrior or guardian gets close you are fragged. Or an ele you didn't kill sees you, and likewise, toast. Sorry, GW2 isn't gonna be like your typical MMO, maybe try something else?

[quote name='travathian']First off, it isn't F2P, you still have to buy the game, just no subscription. Second, PvE and PvP are totally and completely separate. So there is no PKing in the traditional sense. In actual PvP, there would be no hit and run. With the thief as soon as you attack you become visible. You might be able to take down a squishy, maybe even two if you are lucky, but the moment a warrior or guardian gets close you are fragged. Or an ele you didn't kill sees you, and likewise, toast. Sorry, GW2 isn't gonna be like your typical MMO, maybe try something else?[/QUOTE]
Well that's dumb. How am I supposed to start a war if I can't go around ganking people? Everyone is talking about how this is such a great PvP game but already it sounds carebear, even moreso than WoW lol. So thief sucks then, or at least gets its shit pushed in easy eh? Sigh, well I have 3 days to check it out before having to enter a key at least. Might look into warrior if he's a cheese class lol.

[quote name='Jodou']Well that's dumb. How am I supposed to start a war if I can't go around ganking people? Everyone is talking about how this is such a great PvP game but already it sounds carebear, even moreso than WoW lol. So thief sucks then, or at least gets its shit pushed in easy eh? Sigh, well I have 3 days to check it out before having to enter a key at least. Might look into warrior if he's a cheese class lol.[/QUOTE]

First off, you sound like a terrible person to play with although that seems to be your intention. Secondly, you don't sound remotely interested in GW2...if not, go back to WoW and "gank" people all day there.

To answer your original questions though, the Thief is a very viable build you just have to know how to use him. He relies a lot of CQC but uses a Shortbow nicely for range and does a good job of throwing out a lot of quick attacks in succession before getting into a real battle.

The Warrior is possible as well certainly and they can use the most weapons of any profession, but again it comes down to play style. They aren't great at ranged combat but if you build him correctly can be quite durable and put out strong damage numbers.

A look at the "Professions" page on the GW2 Wiki would do you a TON of good. 20 minutes there and another hour or so looking at specific weapons/video of weapons in use and you'll have a basic understanding of some things.

bread's done
Back