The Guild Wars/2 Topic *Its Out All the Way Now!*

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah see, that's the "so what" I'm talking about. How can I, as a GM, get my guild motivated to take a keep? Nobody cares about buffs or silly emblems, but give us a world boss to fight over that drops legendary loot and we're all over that. If we can't kill it, nobody will as long as we're there heh. PvP rewards are a farce, because the reward should be killing each other. If that's not fun, then what's the point?

I know the game isn't built for us, but I'm willing to give it a shot during the free 3-day trial. After playing Planetside 2 beta so much though, I'm already leaning towards just canceling my order.[/QUOTE]

And it isn't just PVP rewards. The gear and buffs (example is extra XP for certain amount of time) flow over into the pve game. Don't underestimate people's desires to have the best looking outfits out there. I think a lot of people will want to show off their custom made emblems they designed themselves.

Heck, legendary weapons are more or less just styles and don't necessarily have the highest stats in the game.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah see, that's the "so what" I'm talking about. How can I, as a GM, get my guild motivated to take a keep? Nobody cares about buffs or silly emblems, but give us a world boss to fight over that drops legendary loot and we're all over that. If we can't kill it, nobody will as long as we're there heh. PvP rewards are a farce, because the reward should be killing each other. If that's not fun, then what's the point?

I know the game isn't built for us, but I'm willing to give it a shot during the free 3-day trial. After playing Planetside 2 beta so much though, I'm already leaning towards just canceling my order.[/QUOTE]

Your own opinion is the only one that matters when talking about whether or not to cancel the order. Just play for a few hours tonight/all day tomorrow and see where you stand on the whole thing and make a decision before tomorrow is through.

My suggestion is that you should jump into WvW fairly early tonight/tomorrow before everybody is leveled up. It will be tough to get a great feel of WvW if you wait too long because people will level up to 30 before you know it and have a massive edge over newbies who jump in with level 1 gear.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Your own opinion is the only one that matters when talking about whether or not to cancel the order. Just play for a few hours tonight/all day tomorrow and see where you stand on the whole thing and make a decision before tomorrow is through.

My suggestion is that you should jump into WvW fairly early tonight/tomorrow before everybody is leveled up. It will be tough to get a great feel of WvW if you wait too long because people will level up to 30 before you know it and have a massive edge over newbies who jump in with level 1 gear.[/QUOTE]
Ouch, so gear > skill again. Guess that's inevitable, but what you mentioned was my plan yeah. Any tips for fast leveling in PvP? I'll probably just ride the coattails of some massive group and run around killing everyone lol.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/commu...ration-hat-available-for-a-limited-time-only/
To commemorate the launch of Guild Wars 2, we’re making a special hat available to all players for free! The Celebration Hat is a baseball cap with the iconic Guild Wars 2 dragon logo—a stylish addition to your town attire!

You can find the Celebration Hat in the Black Lion Trading Company in the ‘Style’ category by pressing ‘O’ while playing the game. The hat is available at the cost of zero gems. The Celebration Hat cannot be traded to other players. The hat can be worn by any character on your account.

The Celebration Hat will only be available from August 25 (during Headstart) through September 12, so don’t wait! Just enter the Black Lion Trading Company before September 12 to get one!

It's the same baseball cap that was available for 0 gems in the stress test earlier this week, except it's now red instead of black.

[quote name='Jodou']Ouch, so gear > skill again. Guess that's inevitable, but what you mentioned was my plan yeah. Any tips for fast leveling in PvP? I'll probably just ride the coattails of some massive group and run around killing everyone lol.[/QUOTE]

Well you cannot level up in PvP. The only thing you level in PvP is your account rank, which gives you some "glory" (to buy stuff that looks good).

If you're talking about WvW I'm not sure about that. I guess just go around and try to zerg with everybody else and get points by contributing to everything. I'm not 100% sure how the point structure works in WvW and whether or not you get a bunch of points for raiding supply points, breaking down walls or just killing and capturing, etc.

[quote name='deviousnaraku']It's the same baseball cap that was available for 0 gems in the stress test earlier this week, except it's now red instead of black.[/QUOTE]

A gap of around three weeks isn't exactly a super exclusive special item...I'll pick one up, but it isn't anything "special" in terms of how exclusive it is.

I have a feeling the servers are going to need their caps raised very soon. I don't expect the 1M+ US people to fit onto the servers that we already have without raising the "server cap" as ANet puts it.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Well you cannot level up in PvP. The only thing you level in PvP is your account rank, which gives you some "glory" (to buy stuff that looks good).

If you're talking about WvW I'm not sure about that. I guess just go around and try to zerg with everybody else and get points by contributing to everything. I'm not 100% sure how the point structure works in WvW and whether or not you get a bunch of points for raiding supply points, breaking down walls or just killing and capturing, etc.[/QUOTE]
WHAT?! I could've sworn I was getting exp in WvW. Wow, if I can't level via PvP, then that's bullshit.

So hyped right now. Friends off at store atm getting snacks and supplies. Have to get up for work in the morning. I have a feeling I won't be sleeping.

So how is gamestop doing this prerelase thing? I ordered my game from gamestop and paid in full because I had stuff to trade in.

Is it just the code I got for the beta is good for the prerelease, also never participated for the beta because I was always busy, so how does one download the client?

[quote name='Jodou']WHAT?! I could've sworn I was getting exp in WvW. Wow, if I can't level via PvP, then that's bullshit.[/QUOTE]

You can level up in WvW and get gear, experience, loot, etc. But in SPvP (hot join/tournament), you CANNOT level up or anything like that.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So how is gamestop doing this prerelase thing? I ordered my game from gamestop and paid in full because I had stuff to trade in.

Is it just the code I got for the beta is good for the prerelease, also never participated for the beta because I was always busy, so how does one download the client?[/QUOTE]

You never got sent a link or anything for a palce to download the client? In any case, when you do find out how to download it, YES...the code for the "beta/stress tests" will be effective for playing during the head-start up until 5 days after the official launch (the 28th).

Servers are live!

Good luck getting your one word names. 3 out of my 5 were already taken seconds into launch (and I was spamming the play button lol).

Played some Asura engineer tonight, had a lot more fun than I did playing Charr. Probably because Asura questlines, voice acting, and areas are much more hilarious and awesome. And the game runs much, much, much better now, so I'm not getting terrible slowdown all the time.

Good stuff, I'm impressed now.

Heard from guildies that nobody was able to log in again this morning and they took the servers down. I guess they can say the game has not officially "launched" in their defense.

[quote name='deviousnaraku']It's the same baseball cap that was available for 0 gems in the stress test earlier this week, except it's now red instead of black.[/QUOTE]

You can actually recolor the head, brim, and I think lining to what ever dye color you have and want to use.

It goes on your town outfit.

[quote name='woodcan']Heard from guildies that nobody was able to log in again this morning and they took the servers down. I guess they can say the game has not officially "launched" in their defense.[/QUOTE]
Lol, the servers were kind of shit last night too. I had to fight the lag monster about fives times just to escape the tutorial after being disconnected over and over. Was so bad I gave up any idea of trying to PvP because it would have just been awful. Not the worst launch I've ever seen, but far from quality.

Any good sites that talks about the details of the different races and professions other than the official GW2 site for those not in the know. Everything I've seen on youtube and google is garbage.

[quote name='woodcan']Heard from guildies that nobody was able to log in again this morning and they took the servers down. I guess they can say the game has not officially "launched" in their defense.[/QUOTE]

I've been on since 11am eastern.

Having a lot of fun so far. Kinda glad I didn't end up subbing to WoW considering all the content that is in this game. Granted I'm sure WoW will always have more raid and end game content.

Only 3% world complete and so much left to do.

Playing as a Necromancer atm.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I've been on since 11am eastern.

Having a lot of fun so far. Kinda glad I didn't end up subbing to WoW considering all the content that is in this game. Granted I'm sure WoW will always have more raid and end game content.[/QUOTE]
The collectibles are incredibly grindy though, in an Assassin's Creed bad kind of way. It's really wearing me down since I keep getting an error trying to enter WvW. Also, I don't know who balanced the exp/level in this game but it's awful. For a level cap of 80, I should not be 21 with this much time put in.

There's also not enough quests to get you even close to what the zones say they cap out at without repeat grinding in an area that you've already maxed rep with. The only remedy is to go to another area your level and do those quests, but so far I've hated every place I tried outside the human zones. Some hubs have very tedious requirements compared to others that you breeze through fast and painlessly. Very poor job balancing quests and exp.

I will say that the world is pretty to look at though. It's about the only thing going for it while grinding.
[quote name='crystalklear64']having a blast. launch was flawless. why the fuck can't other companies get that right?[/QUOTE]Uh, you must have a very low pop server then because for the first hour or so I was being disconnected, lagged to death, or crashing. Some zones are extremely laggy as well, but I'm sure that's a server by server basis. Far from flawless on my end.

I was and am on Sea of Sorrows. I experienced no lag at all, which amazed me. Of course, it sucked when the servers went offline! Such an amazing game. The WvWvW is great.

[quote name='Jodou']The collectibles are incredibly grindy though, in an Assassin's Creed bad kind of way. .[/QUOTE]

So far this is my biggest complaint if your refereing to those viewpoints where I have to climb up to the ass end of no where. lol. Not exactly fun to do on a keyboard.

I was able to hit the level cap in WoW at 20 in less then 12 hours thru their trial. I'm not sure what is the appropriate amount of time one should spend to hit max level in MMOs these days. Back when I use to play UO and went to EQ I would reckon thousands of hours but that was mixed in with socializing and not straight grinding.

They really, really need to fix the splitting up of parties in this game. fucking "Join In" button doesn't show up half the time, and when it does, 95% of the time it doesn't work and gives a network error.

Pretty pathetic. Even SWTOR let you choose your instance.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']So far this is my biggest complaint if your refereing to those viewpoints where I have to climb up to the ass end of no where. lol. Not exactly fun to do on a keyboard.

I was able to hit the level cap in WoW at 20 in less then 12 hours thru their trial. I'm not sure what is the appropriate amount of time one should spend to hit max level in MMOs these days. Back when I use to play UO and went to EQ I would reckon thousands of hours but that was mixed in with socializing and not straight grinding.[/QUOTE]
Vistas aren't too bad, it's the points of interest that take a metric fuckton of patience to find. They at least clue you in if it's above or below you, but sometimes the path to get there is so obscure I needed a guide to figure out WTF it was. Good design should mean it never takes more than five minutes to find it. I've had to give up on a few because the time wasted is not worth the paltry exp.

Maybe WvW will be back today. . .

[quote name='crystalklear64']having a blast. launch was flawless. why the fuck can't other companies get that right?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this. Spent the first 5 hours just running around exploring without doing any of my story quests and didn't feel like I'd spent 5 hours, or that I'd wasted my time. The rewards for fully exploring a non-city zone are substantial and make it worth the time. Haven't done much crafting, just enough to get bags -- it's great that each armor profession gets an 8 slot bag recipe.

Really enjoying GW2, will unsub from WoW now, since I cant imagine wanting to go back to that. Then again I like Star Wars: Old Republic Online better then WoW.

Only problem I've had is not being able to sell my stuff and getting stuck in overflow. I haven't witnessed any lag and was disconnected for a whopping 20 seconds earlier. My problems are not serious. Serious launch issues were in Diablo 3s terrible launch.

Maybe I'm just the lucky one of the bunch but I've been having a lot of fun.

I finally found my pvp dude, mesmer

now to find a fun pve. tried: necro, elementalist, engineer. All to level 6 to 9. All are 'eh' so far

The patch last night seems to have fixed the problem where I couldn't join in with friends, so I'm not nearly as pissed at the game now.

And I don't know how you would find Engineer "eh", considering it's hilarious and awesome. Guardian is pretty good if you like support variety, if you wanna try that.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']The patch last night seems to have fixed the problem where I couldn't join in with friends, so I'm not nearly as pissed at the game now.

And I don't know how you would find Engineer "eh", considering it's hilarious and awesome. Guardian is pretty good if you like support variety, if you wanna try that.[/QUOTE]

The grrnades are annoying, maybe i should try smart-cast on them, so i dont gotta click 20000x times

Warrior might be the PvE for me, since he can do melee and ranged with all the weapons

Add your info to the first post if you're looking to group with other CAG's.

I don't think theres a CAG guild but if there is, whoever decides to make it, add that info to the first post as well.

For those who have played, there is a new discussion question.

Added name to first post.

Improvementswise, I'd like to see some significantly less tedious heart missions. Some are maddenening, if they just tweaked them a little it wouldn't be such a pain.

Other than that, playing as an engineer, I have access to just rifles and pistols. I played as a warrior that can use all the weapons. The warriors rifle skills were better (imo) than the engineer. Maybe boost the engineer's skills a little. Or maybe I just stink?

I haven't tried Warrior yet, but how do you feel the Engineer rifle skills are lacking and how are you speccing your traits? I think it's a pretty good kit for 1v1; you've got a snare, a knockback, an escape/closer, and a bleed skill. I've been stacking precision and condition damage and have been able to take down enemies a couple of levels higher or veterans a level or so higher without too much trouble.

I'm also an engineer and I use the rifle more for utility than actual damage. The grenade or bombkit out performs it for damage and gives you many more conditions to work with.

I'm personally using the grenade kit with the radiation field asura skill and stacking condition damage. Works great and I can pretty much ignore my aggro since the aoe of nades is ridiculous.

You can also throw grenades behind you as you run which is crazy.

I am using my traits for toughness. I'll try going more offensive.
I mainly use the flamethrower to deal some damage and switch back to the rifle to pull enemies or pop fleeing ones.

Maybe I need to expirament a little more tonight.

[quote name='Genocidal']I haven't tried Warrior yet, but how do you feel the Engineer rifle skills are lacking and how are you speccing your traits? I think it's a pretty good kit for 1v1; you've got a snare, a knockback, an escape/closer, and a bleed skill. I've been stacking precision and condition damage and have been able to take down enemies a couple of levels higher or veterans a level or so higher without too much trouble.[/QUOTE]

Got level 40 last night and decked myself out in T1 gear. Hoping to hit 50 before release and then just gank lowbies all day in WvW to 80. This game has some really nice art direction, but the combat is so boring in PvE. All I do is shadowshot, heartseeker, heartseeker, heartseeker, dead. Against elites, I just call in my brotherhood (2 thieves) and rape it. And if that doesn't work, just kite all day with a shortbow. /yawn

Not really sure what's keeping me from quitting, but I guess it's just the goal of hitting 80 before everyone else. I like that sort of competition heh.

[quote name='Jodou']Got level 40 last night and decked myself out in T1 gear. Hoping to hit 50 before release and then just gank lowbies all day in WvW to 80. This game has some really nice art direction, but the combat is so boring in PvE. All I do is shadowshot, heartseeker, heartseeker, heartseeker, dead. Against elites, I just call in my brotherhood (2 thieves) and rape it. And if that doesn't work, just kite all day with a shortbow. /yawn

Not really sure what's keeping me from quitting, but I guess it's just the goal of hitting 80 before everyone else. I like that sort of competition heh.[/QUOTE]

Could try Dungeon. Start at level 30. First time is story mode. A little easier than t he explore mode. There are marks, tokens, or something for each time do each that you can trade for unique gear. Weapons I know, like the bow that shoots rainbow arrows but maybe armor sets too.

Nice thing about dungeons is that explore mode changes the layout and opens different paths you wouldn't see unless you do it multiple times.

[quote name='Jodou']Got level 40 last night and decked myself out in T1 gear. Hoping to hit 50 before release and then just gank lowbies all day in WvW to 80. This game has some really nice art direction, but the combat is so boring in PvE. All I do is shadowshot, heartseeker, heartseeker, heartseeker, dead. Against elites, I just call in my brotherhood (2 thieves) and rape it. And if that doesn't work, just kite all day with a shortbow. /yawn

Not really sure what's keeping me from quitting, but I guess it's just the goal of hitting 80 before everyone else. I like that sort of competition heh.[/QUOTE]

If you are a huge PvPer type of guy, then I can see PvE getting a bit slow I suppose. Personally I am a "PvX" type of person who likes everything but the fact is, if you aren't interested in crafting or the storyline/gear, just go into WvW and level that way.

It won't be the easiest thing but at level 40+ you should be able to massacre a lot of zerg fools who break off of a big group.

Well I'm at the point where you pick which order you want to join, though none of my friends are on and I think this a point of convergence (completed your race stuff and now onto bigger things).

I wish I knew what this determined. From the sample missions it seems like the Priory is going to have some fun toys, though since they have the magic stores probably a bunch of defending missions. Not sure how they would handle the final fight against the dragon.

The Order of Whispers is a staple from GW1, probably the most interesting approach to the missions. Though as with the Priory, I'm not sure how they'd fight the dragon.

The Vigil seems to be the straight forward action packed one with full frontal assaults. I imagine they get to have to best battles against the dragons, just taking them head on.

Tough call.

[quote name='crystalklear64']i see everyone is on different servers. i THINK you can still play together, just can't pvp together.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think the overflow servers are mixed.. I think.

There will be guessing feature where you can do what you mentioned, but don't think that is in yet.

My son and I want to get on the same server and play together a lot. I cant find any information on how to do this. Anyone able to help?

[quote name='BREVITY']My son and I want to get on the same server and play together a lot. I cant find any information on how to do this. Anyone able to help?[/QUOTE]

When in a party, both of you go to the same zone, and right-click their portrait. There should be an option to "Join in *Name of Zone*". The name of zone part is new, so you might be able to do it from other zones now, but I haven't tried it.

bread's done
Back