The Half Price Books Thread

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
As a big fan of Half Price Books I thought a thread discussing the various discounts, promotions and of course our finds was more than well deserved.

All deals posted in the OP and in this thread are YMMV by nature. Some things have universal prices (or damn near) but still.

Always remember to check our local store's page on the HPB.com website to see if it has any additional specials (such as comic Wednesdays)!

Current Promotions:

Upcoming Promotions:

Miscellaneous contest and other deals:

Educator's Discount: If you are an educator you can apply for the Educators Discount Card to save 10% every day at HPB. http://www.hpb.com/community/educators/

Notable Deals (Items that seem to be more universal):
This is not to add every single descent deal found at HPB, but to post ones that seem to be more universal (i.e. items marked with SuperBuy rather than clearance or is reported in multiple places).

Last edited by a moderator:
They hold stuff for you. You could easily go in earlier in the week and ask them to hold something and then pick it up on the 50% off day.
Tried that in the past and was told by an employee that they can't hold items during their big coupon discount weeks.

Speaking of....say I have 2 email accounts and 2 different sets of HPB coupons. And say I want to use both of my 50% off coupons on two items at one store. Can I do that in the same transaction or do I literally have to complete the transaction, get back in line, and use the 2nd coupon? I ask because I think HPB has been really weird about this in the past.

In the same vein, I'm curious: are these coupon codes unique per person?  I can tell there's a difference between the individual coupons I was sent (so I can't use today's coupon tomorrow or anything), but was everyone sent different barcodes?  In other words, can I go to one HPB and use today's coupon, then go to another HPB and use it again in the same day?  Or is it flagged as "used" after the first time and invalid after that?

Last time, I went to 4 different half price books on 50% day with the same coupon. No problems
This has been my experience as well. In fact, the worker usually asks me if I would like the coupon back to use at another location. To keep you from using it at the same store, a worker will usually write something (can't remember what) on the coupon.

Tried that in the past and was told by an employee that they can't hold items during their big coupon discount weeks.

Speaking of....say I have 2 email accounts and 2 different sets of HPB coupons. And say I want to use both of my 50% off coupons on two items at one store. Can I do that in the same transaction or do I literally have to complete the transaction, get back in line, and use the 2nd coupon? I ask because I think HPB has been really weird about this in the past.
I don't think the workers are being weird about it at all. They are covering their ass. I would just tell the worker that you have two coupons and you would like to do two separate transactions. Or, just go to one register and then a different one the next time.

I don't think the workers are being weird about it at all. They are covering their ass. I would just tell the worker that you have two coupons and you would like to do two separate transactions. Or, just go to one register and then a different one the next time.
Or you could just bring a friend or family member with you.

I signed up for the mailing list but online get coupons for the online store, do they honor them in store too?

This has been my experience as well. In fact, the worker usually asks me if I would like the coupon back to use at another location. To keep you from using it at the same store, a worker will usually write something (can't remember what) on the coupon.
Awesome! At least now I can do it without feeling like I'm cheating the system.

I'm buying all my most wanted stuff during the 30/40% days. I can only imagine Sunday is going to be completely barren.

Yeah my two closest stores got cleared out mostly already. Brought the Art of Adventure Time and Art of Justice League on Wednesday because theres no way theyd have lasted till today

In case anyone isn't already convinced:

I went to one of my stores at lunch, bought something, and flat-out asked the guys working the register if I could also use today's coupon at the other location nearby.  They said yes, and that it's actually the reason that they just scan the barcode rather than requiring people to cut the coupons out and hand them over.  So it's totally legit.  If you've got more than one store, take advantage!

My big score for the week is a Minish Cap cart for $15.  Pretty good deal, and a fairly certain way to ensure that you don't wind up with a bootleg or repro.  Buying GBA games online these days seems to be a bit of a gamble.

In case anyone isn't already convinced:

I went to one of my stores at lunch, bought something, and flat-out asked the guys working the register if I could also use today's coupon at the other location nearby. They said yes, and that it's actually the reason that they just scan the barcode rather than requiring people to cut the coupons out and hand them over. So it's totally legit. If you've got more than one store, take advantage!

My big score for the week is a Minish Cap cart for $15. Pretty good deal, and a fairly certain way to ensure that you don't wind up with a bootleg or repro. Buying GBA games online these days seems to be a bit of a gamble.
I wouldn't count on a place that is just reselling anything that comes in as not having a bootleg, GameStop is full of them

I wouldn't count on a place that is just reselling anything that comes in as not having a bootleg, GameStop is full of them
True, but seeing it in person meant that I could inspect it for the usual bootleg signs before buying it. As far as I can tell, this one is legit.

Some advice if anyone is unsure about the coupons. Take everything here as if it starts with "Normally...", but YMMV.

- The codes can be reused. I live in an area with about 10 Half Price Books and will regularly make trips to hit as many up as possible on the 40 and 50 off days.

- Many stores also have coupons at the register. So I'll just say "do you need to see the coupon?" and by that time most just go "you're good" and scan the one there.

- Coupons are per transaction, per "visit". See two things you like? Come back in a few hours. Or I just bring my girlfriend and she has my coupons too. The coupon won't stop you but chances are the employees will.

- Most stores are told to not put items out that are big sellers if they come in during or just before sales. If you see it at or behind the desk, ask. No guarantee but you may get lucky. Don't bother asking about stock not on the floor yet if you can't actually see it, they all just say "what we have is out there." Then suddenly on the Monday after the sales they have all these new items...

- I highly recommend also using these on board games, just because they have some amazing board games at 20% off MSRP, brand new. So a $50 game becomes a $40 game, and with half off that's now a $20 game, brand new. Store stock varies but games like Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, etc are all worth it at that huge discount.

- Remember that GameStop trade in is the same value whether disc only or CIB. So if you find something loose for cheap, it's worth picking it up to trade in.

Couldnt find any games or systems worth anything, but I made out like a champ on books today and cleared out the best of the art books at the 4 stores I went to. Might check again on Sunday incase anything else comes in, if nothing else I might grab one of those Rick and Morty Board/Card games as they had a few still.

Also strangely found a perfect condition SH Figuarts Ryu figure from Street Fighter V that was only $18 after coupon. Couldnt resist since it sells for like $50+ online.

I did see a lone Charizard Plated N3DS console for $190, but I just couldnt justify it when I already have 2 N3DS's plus like 4 different XL consoles.

I see a fair amount of bootleg items, mostly anime, foreign language films, and soundtracks at my local HPB.

I came across the Big O II soundtrack once, i think it was marked 30 or 40. Then looked on the back and saw one of the known bootleg companies logo. I put it right back. I think there were 4 or 5 others i saw that day.

I was told this week by a HPB employee that you can only do one coupon transaction per customer per day. They said if I went to another HPB, they likely wouldn't be able to stop me but they wouldn't allow me to do two coupon transactions that day in their store.

I was told this week by a HPB employee that you can only do one coupon transaction per customer per day. They said if I went to another HPB, they likely wouldn't be able to stop me but they wouldn't allow me to do two coupon transactions that day in their store.
I went in my same store twice in an hour today and the guy had no problem, and other times I have asked and they let me do double transactions at the same time, but in the past I had people strictly deny me even if I asked nicely. So its YMMV.

I went in my same store twice in an hour today and the guy had no problem, and other times I have asked and they let me do double transactions at the same time, but in the past I had people strictly deny me even if I asked nicely. So its YMMV.
This is the ultimate YMMV, for sure. I went into a different HPB today to use my 40% Friday coupon on a 360 game and once I showed them the coupon, they just scanned their own (this was posted earlier today, in that long tips post). So I could have used that same coupon again (though probably not at that store).

By the way, anyone else found that the prices for games at HPB's are kinda high and unrealistic? I'm talking 3-4 year old games and their price is still $29.99 or $24.99. I understand if it was for GTA V but that's about it. I have found the occasional really good price on games there but more often than that, the prices are not a great deal. Not as bad as Gamestop, typically, but I've found better deals on EBAY, for new versions of the same title. Bizarre.

Went to 8 stores and reused the coupon probably 8 times. some twice at the same store. No issues.

Greatest haul was getting Guitar Hero III for xbox 360 for $1.50 and turning it around to gamestop for $7.20

I ended up getting:

40% off:

Donkey Kong Classics NES

Sword of Shannara Trilogy

Watchmen hardcover

50% Off:

Tokyo Ghoul Monster Edition 1-3

Dragon Warrior II NES

Just received my coupons in my email for HPB 50% off sale on July 15.

20% off - July 9-10

30% off - July 11-12

40% off - July 13-14

50% off - July 15

Here's a copy of the coupon sheet if anyone isn't on their mailers and needs it (the coupons have previously not been single use so should be useable by anyone)

HPB_2018_Summer_Mailer.png

Hey folks, just wanted to give a weird heads up. I've worked at an HPB for nearly 8 years and something strange happened last week. We got in a sealed copy of Jungle Strike for SNES in pristine condition. Now I know what you're thinking, who cares it's just Jungle Strike. Here's the weird part, it came off our weekly truck from the distribution center?!? This was bought from a warehouse (along with some PS2 shovelware) and sent to us by our corporate buyers. We only got in one copy priced at $9.99 and it sold within a few hours (Monroeville PA location). But check your stores, my guess is most got at least one and bigger stores a few. I'm curious if other stores got different titles.

After moving cross-country, I finally have access to these stores again; the last time being Texas over two decades ago heh. Really surprised and glad these guys are still around since I've already made a few trips and a warehouse sale. Will probably check them out again for the 50% off coupon since I'm on their mailer too. Saw a really badass and signed/custom sketch art book from Stan Sakai the other day for $150. Wonder if it would work. :lol:

After moving cross-country, I finally have access to these stores again; the last time being Texas over two decades ago heh. Really surprised and glad these guys are still around since I've already made a few trips and a warehouse sale. Will probably check them out again for the 50% off coupon since I'm on their mailer too. Saw a really badass and signed/custom sketch art book from Stan Sakai the other day for $150. Wonder if it would work. :lol:
To my knowledge there are no item restrictions to the coupons, most you can get off it's $150, I usually make out ok with some retro games on the 40% and 50% days

Hey folks, just wanted to give a weird heads up. I've worked at an HPB for nearly 8 years and something strange happened last week. We got in a sealed copy of Jungle Strike for SNES in pristine condition. Now I know what you're thinking, who cares it's just Jungle Strike. Here's the weird part, it came off our weekly truck from the distribution center?!? This was bought from a warehouse (along with some PS2 shovelware) and sent to us by our corporate buyers. We only got in one copy priced at $9.99 and it sold within a few hours (Monroeville PA location). But check your stores, my guess is most got at least one and bigger stores a few. I'm curious if other stores got different titles.
I stop at a store in Avon IN and they had a copy of Jungle Strike as well same price. Looked brand new except the box was a little beat up and sealed. I decided to pick it up as I am building a SNES collection right now.

Anyone had any luck lately finding recent PS4 releases? I went into one store and gave them 4 new titles to look up (GOW, Vampyr, Detroit BH, Agony) and they said there were none in any store anywhere in their system. I'm guessing most gamers don't trade in their newer games to HPB because they don't give you much for them. However, if you want a bunch of old Maddens, this seems like the place to be.

A shame, cause I was looking forward to using my 50% off coupon this weekend.

Birthday coupon (online only :\) for 27% off highest item out today: BDAY27. Any experience with used vinyl from them? We've recently gotten into the joys of having a turntable.

Bought the Slasher Movie Book from them the other day for $12.50...Just got delivered yesterday. It was apparently the only one in their entire system. Typically listed on Amazon and eBay for $150 - $200. So couldn't believe that price!

Wish they had more vinyl in stock but I'm guessing that was the first to go. Seems like everything I look at is either overpriced 3rd party or about the same I could get from local record stores. : \

-
-
-

Got an email today regarding a sale from halfpricebooks website. Not sure what kind of gaming stuff they have online, but thought I'd just put it out there if anyone's interested.

$10 off $50 code :10BITE

$20 off $75 code :20BITE

$30 off $100 code: 30BITE

Use coupon code 30GOLD for 30% off one item online only at HPB.com from 12:01 AM 8/23/2018 - 11:59 PM 8/28/2018 CDT. Limit one coupon per account. Not valid during sales or in combination with any other discount or coupon. No adjustments made to prior orders. Cannot be used on single items priced at $300 or more, pretax. Cannot be used to purchase gift cards. Not valid at Half Price Books retail stores or Half Price Books Outlet locations.

got an email today regarding a" 7 days of savings" coupon sale again. beginning monday nov 5 with 20% off and ending sunday nov 11th with 50%.

The HPB's in my area have very unrealistic prices for videogames...in many cases, their used copies are higher than what a brand new copy would cost at a big box store. I have contacted their Customer Service on the occasion when I really wanted a game and they reduced the price on that game to reflect today's marketplace. But by and large, their prices seem to be a few years out of date and they've never bothered to update them. That makes using the 50% coupon for games somewhat of a waste. The end prices are nowhere near as good as they should be, using it.

Your experience may be different but mine has been pretty disappointing.

Lucked out and found Pokken Tournament DX for $15. And one of the hardcover Avatar TLA Comic books.

EDIT: Ending up going to two other stores and found a hardcover Shaun of the Dead comic and an Art of Atari book for like $11 each as well.

bread's done
Back