The Half Price Books Thread

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
As a big fan of Half Price Books I thought a thread discussing the various discounts, promotions and of course our finds was more than well deserved.

All deals posted in the OP and in this thread are YMMV by nature. Some things have universal prices (or damn near) but still.

Always remember to check our local store's page on the HPB.com website to see if it has any additional specials (such as comic Wednesdays)!

Current Promotions:

Upcoming Promotions:

Miscellaneous contest and other deals:

Educator's Discount: If you are an educator you can apply for the Educators Discount Card to save 10% every day at HPB. http://www.hpb.com/community/educators/

Notable Deals (Items that seem to be more universal):
This is not to add every single descent deal found at HPB, but to post ones that seem to be more universal (i.e. items marked with SuperBuy rather than clearance or is reported in multiple places).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, They dont mind at most stores here putting stuff on hold for a week. They know people love to use the coupons. Ive even talked to some of the people who price things and depending on if they know a coupon week is comming up they just expect more holds and will price it as what amazon price is (generally) so that they still make some money from selling it at 50% off.
Nice, thanks for the info. I'll give that a try next time if I need to.

I wonder if I've ever run into any MN CAGer during these weekend sales and not known it... haha

Its possible, I tend to just look through the Ford St, Roseville and Maplewood ones unless im off visiting friends outside of that area.

Also the Roseville one got a good dump of PS1 games the other day that wont be on the shelf for a week or so. That's what I pulled the Digimons out of but there were a few spyro/crash games and 2 copies of RE Directors cut all for PS1. Just go in and ask to see if they have any new things that havnt been put out on the shelves yet.

I do know the Ford st one had a copy of N64 Majoras mask (not collectors) but it had a bit of damage on the top where a piece of plastic seemed to crack but the cart and label other than that were in perfect shape.

I've seen some people mention picking up multiple things on Sunday. How does that work? The coupon says 50% off one item.
Bring a friend, I tend to bring my dad with me to pick things up and I go in the morning and afternoon before they close so tend to be able to use the coupon 2-4 times per day at the same store.

Also for MN Cags, The Ford St store had a copy of Smash Melee non players choice for $65 before coupon today, and Roseville has a copy of Pokemon Firered for $30 pre coupon if anybody is looking for those.

I've seen some people mention picking up multiple things on Sunday. How does that work? The coupon says 50% off one item.
I just ask if they can do separate transactions so I can use the coupon more than once. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes they don't.

I forgot to put a game on hold. oh well. I grabbed a few for later in the week.

I bought frogger 2 on ps1 that was still sealed for 30% off.

Didn't find anything worthwhile at my HPB stop this week (didn't go last week, probably missed out on some decent findings).  All I ended up using my 30% off coupon on was a clearance copy of Inception, which after coupon I got for $0.70.

May check out another one in the area this weekend, but more than likely just the leftovers at this point (unless something came up new in the past few days).

Stopped at Roseville, MN location. They seem to have restocked all the sections as they had a lot of new stuff around. Put a copy of Tales of Symphonia Gamecube on sale for Sunday.

I tried to get them to lower Diablo on Xbox 360 (they were selling it for $20), but the guy gave me the same excuse that they won't consider lowering prices until six months after they have been on the shelf. I didn't rat anyone out haha, but I don't know how you guys are getting lucky at that location. Was a little annoyed but bought it anyways with coupon.

Stopped at Roseville, MN location. They seem to have restocked all the sections as they had a lot of new stuff around. Put a copy of Tales of Symphonia Gamecube on sale for Sunday.

I tried to get them to lower Diablo on Xbox 360 (they were selling it for $20), but the guy gave me the same excuse that they won't consider lowering prices until six months after they have been on the shelf. I didn't rat anyone out haha, but I don't know how you guys are getting lucky at that location. Was a little annoyed but bought it anyways with coupon.
Nice Score on Tales, How much was it pre coupon?

I put back a couple games today. I saw a n64 for 59.99 w/ 1 controller. I left it since I have at least 20 N64s already.

I put a complete (case, manual, and club nintendo sheet) Pokemon Colosseum on hold. It will be $15 after coupon tomorrow. I also put a  Pokemon Channel complete with the 3 unpunched ereader cards on hold, but I am going to try to negotiate that one down a bit. They have $25 on it.

Both HPBs around here were jam packed today. I was hoping to grab some vinyl that I left on Friday, got greedy and the records were gone today. Saw the same disgusting 500 pound neckbeard who looked like he had never showered in his life today at both locations so that was disgusting.

Didn't get a chance to make it to the location that has a nice selection of gaming, but made it to the one by my house and got this gem for $30!!!

[attachment=13186:image.jpg]

LOVE HPB, gotta be my favorite store.  Retro games to current gen, never know what you can find, especially when they have these promotions with up to 50% off!  Some games are over prices though....

Record geek post ahead. If you're looking for video game content, this isn't the droid you're looking for.

I wasn't expecting this, but I ended up buying a turntable. Long story short, I've been looking for a second deck for the bedroom and had something that I though was a steal and has quickly been turning into a money pit. So, they had a Dual CS 505-3 in pretty nice shape with a pretty good looking Audio Technica AT-120/E cartridge on it. It wasn't the steal of the century, I don't think (asking $200, needless to say I used the 50% off coupon and got it for $100) but it was probably a fair deal anyway. At least this one works, heh.

Also got nearly every Jerry Lee Lewis album from the mid-60s to the late-70s in fantastic shape (which is a weird coincidence as I've just discovered this period of his music via Spotify) and a Clifford Brown 10" on Pacific Jazz. Spent way too much, but I'm pretty stoked.

Record geek post ahead. If you're looking for video game content, this isn't the droid you're looking for.

I wasn't expecting this, but I ended up buying a turntable. Long story short, I've been looking for a second deck for the bedroom and had something that I though was a steal and has quickly been turning into a money pit. So, they had a Dual CS 505-3 in pretty nice shape with a pretty good looking Audio Technica AT-120/E cartridge on it. It wasn't the steal of the century, I don't think (asking $200, needless to say I used the 50% off coupon and got it for $100) but it was probably a fair deal anyway. At least this one works, heh.

Also got nearly every Jerry Lee Lewis album from the mid-60s to the late-70s in fantastic shape (which is a weird coincidence as I've just discovered this period of his music via Spotify) and a Clifford Brown 10" on Pacific Jazz. Spent way too much, but I'm pretty stoked.
Nice, I used to find good LPs at HPB all the time. Now that they check ebay/discgos a lot of stuff is over priced. Some of the stuff I've scored, Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced and Electric Ladyland Part 1= both 1st UK pressings on Track Records. Paid $10 to $15 each. Also scored the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Budgie albums, all between VG+ and EX in the freaking DOLLAR bin. Unfortunately I've sold a couple of them when I needed some cash, but if you know what you're looking for you can find some good shit.

saw a guy the other day come into Half Price Books and sell his kids old Playstation stuff (he clearly had no idea what he had). Half Price books offered him 78 bucks for the following: (which he took) I couldnt believe what he was selling

Tales of Destiny 2

Monster Rancher 2

Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Breath of Fire 4

a couple of other less important PS1 games (crash bandicoot etc)

Capcom vs. SNK 2

Marvel vs. Capcom 2

a couple of other less notable PS2 games (Spiderman 3 etc)

They also wouldnt take a game he was trying to sell because the disc was missing (didnt get to see what it was but it was a capcom game)

Something was screaming inside me to step in and offer the guy 100 on the spot for everything, but I just couldnt do it. I was scared HPB would be pissed and Im a regular there so didnt want to upset them.

I did however decide to buy Monster Rancher 2, which they priced at 23.99. Paid for it and opened it up to find a Megaman Legends 2 disc inside. Ill take it! I realize now the empty case the guy took back was for this game. 

Its not a crazy thrift find, but Megaman Legends 2 disc only for 23.99 is decent enough.

While checking out at HPB last weekend the clerk said that they will have a coupon coming out for 20% off the entire purchase over Memorial Day weekend.  She didn't give any details, but keep an eye out for the email if you're signed up with them.

While checking out at HPB last weekend the clerk said that they will have a coupon coming out for 20% off the entire purchase over Memorial Day weekend. She didn't give any details, but keep an eye out for the email if you're signed up with them.
The Phoenix, Arizona store let me know about this upcoming coupon/sale a couple weeks ago. Think it just might be 20 percent flat, no progressive gain. Still awesome though.

While checking out at HPB last weekend the clerk said that they will have a coupon coming out for 20% off the entire purchase over Memorial Day weekend. She didn't give any details, but keep an eye out for the email if you're signed up with them.

They have this sale every memorial day weekend.

I just got back from my local HPB and found a copy of Super Smash Bros for Wii U for $30, $24 after discount. It's in like new condition, no idea why it was priced so cheap. It easily goes for $40-45 on eBay. I wonder if they mistook it as the Wii version when pricing it.

This is off topic but has anyone ever sold any comic books through HPB?  I'm finally ready to get rid of my physial copies.  Mine aren't in very good condition as I never bagged/boarded them (most are probably fair - good condition).  I was a reader, not a collector.  Just trying to find the easiest way to get rid of them all at once.  I have between 3K-4K.

Well look what I saw at one of the HPs...

attachicon.gif
20150524_174503.jpg

What a fuck ...
Great game, can't wait for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRsdeMXgUcU

This is off topic but has anyone ever sold any comic books through HPB? I'm finally ready to get rid of my physial copies. Mine aren't in very good condition as I never bagged/boarded them (most are probably fair - good condition). I was a reader, not a collector. Just trying to find the easiest way to get rid of them all at once. I have between 3K-4K.
They pay very little. I think around $8 for a longbox. You could do better on FB or CL.

Just got my coupons in the mail, sale starts July 8th and ends July 12th

8th Wed- 30%

9th - 30%

10th Fri - 40%

11th - 40%

12th Sun - 50%

Should be getting your coupons soon in the mail and/or email. I miss when Monday was the 40% off day,  :cry:

8th Wed- 30%
9th - 30%
10th Fri - 40%
11th - 40%
12th Sun - 50%

Should be getting your coupons soon in the mail and/or email. I miss when Monday was the 40% off day, :cry:
Damn, I'll be in Cancun til the 13th :(

8th Wed- 30%

9th - 30%

10th Fri - 40%

11th - 40%

12th Sun - 50%

Should be getting your coupons soon in the mail and/or email. I miss when Monday was the 40% off day, :cry:
Great...found out about this just as I bought a copy of Wild Arms 2. :wall:

My local recently had copies of Pikmin 3 and LEGO City Undercover for $30 each, I hesitated and they were gone shortly afterwards, but if they were still there I'd make good use of these coupons.  Didn't see much else worthwhile reserving, except for one GBA title I'll have to check if it's still there...

So in short, thanks for the heads up!

My local recently had copies of Pikmin 3 and LEGO City Undercover for $30 each, I hesitated and they were gone shortly afterwards, but if they were still there I'd make good use of these coupons. Didn't see much else worthwhile reserving, except for one GBA title I'll have to check if it's still there...

So in short, thanks for the heads up!
I'll bet that was one of the times I almost went to the one at PV Mall, then changed my mind at the last minute. :wall:

Just once I'd like to find an N64, PS One (slim) or Saturn (or even SNES) in $30-$40 range at HPB during these coupon weeks. I know, impossible but I can dream....

Just once I'd like to find an N64, PS One (slim) or Saturn (or even SNES) in $30-$40 range at HPB during these coupon weeks. I know, impossible but I can dream....
I've been shopping at HPB for about 8 years now and I've seen all of those except for the Saturn at least once inside their windowed-cabinets. So yes it is possible.

Hmm...I didn't get the coupons. I wonder if the Indiana stores are participating or not. Honestly though, I'm not too upset about it. I've spent an obscene amount of money there this year and me and HPB are kinda on time out at the moment. lol

If anyone's in Pittsburgh, the McKnight HPB had 2 or 3 Silver Slims when I was out there last week.
I work at the Monroeville store and we are well stocked for the sale.

3 3DS XL (Black/ Blue/ Red)

3 Wiis

2 N64s

1 original Xbox

1 PS2 Slim

1 360

1 Sega Genesis

iPad (I forget gigs and generation)

16 gig iPod touch

How much are the 3DS priced at?

I live near the one in Robinson, and they rarely have anything decent in stock.  Always a lot of interesting things at the one on McKnight when I get a chance to stop out there.

bread's done
Back