The History of Sonic the Hedgehog [Artbook] - $31.24 (OUT NOW)

Diggeh

CAG Newbie

Authors: Marc Petronille, William Audureau (Pix'n Love)
Hardcover: 300 pages
Publisher: Udon Entertainment (January 1, 2012)

[quote name='Book Description']Celebrating over 20 years as SEGA's official mascot, The History of Sonic the Hedgehog is the ultimate guide to SEGA's spiky blue speedster! This hefty 300-page hardcover volume covers in detail every 2D and 3D Sonic game, plus spinoffs and crossovers. You'll also find character profiles, promotional artwork, rare concept art, and a detailed look at the origins of the "Blue Blur".[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
So are they confirming a December release date on this?

This is going to be a great stocking stuffer for my GF if it is (she loves artbooks and she loves sonic like I do).

@ElecktroDragon: It's suppose to retail for $50. Saving $20 by pre-ordering is a good deal, I think. Not to mention this is 300+ pages of history (including the cancelled games), not just art. I do understand finding it hard to spend $30+ on a artbook just under 200 pages, though. I got the MvC one for about $8 after getting Amazon credit. It's nice, but I certainly wouldn't have spent the MSRP of $45, let alone $100 for the hardcover exclusive at Comic-Con.

What's with all these little books that have been released lately?

I guess people found a way to profit big off of gamer OCD in a new way. I'm surprised it took this long to think of an idea like this. These books probably cost 20 cents to make per.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']What's with all these little books that have been released lately?

I guess people found a way to profit big off of gamer OCD in a new way. I'm surprised it took this long to think of an idea like this. These books probably cost 20 cents to make per.[/QUOTE]

I'm not an expert but I'm certain it costs more than 20 cents to print a 300 page hardcover book.

[quote name='thefunkyredcaboose']Anyone get a copy yet? It appears to be out though Amazon says mine won't be shipping until the 10th.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I received mine yesterday. The book is well put together and is loaded with text and pictures. It will take quite some time for me to get through the whole thing.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']What's with all these little books that have been released lately?

I guess people found a way to profit big off of gamer OCD in a new way. I'm surprised it took this long to think of an idea like this. These books probably cost 20 cents to make per.[/QUOTE]

Hi troll, nice to see you.

And yes, it doesn't take 20 cents to print a book like this, and believe it or not, fans of certain things like having art and history to look through, and also to collect. I myself have a whole bookcase full of art books and such just for games.

Got an e-mail around midnight saying mine finally shipped & should arrive tomorrow. Rather nice surprise, looking forward to reading it.

[quote name='Zonic505']Got an e-mail around midnight saying mine finally shipped & should arrive tomorrow. Rather nice surprise, looking forward to reading it.[/QUOTE]

I canceled my backordered copy with Amazon and ordered from a marketplace seller a week and a half ago, but it doesn't appear that I'll get it any sooner. :cry: Avoid Superbookdeals on Amazon!

im finally getting mine tomorrow i wasnt aware of it being backordered as this has been my delivery date since the original delay

I got mine two days ago. Very nice book. Didnt know there was a problem with it on Amazon. Maybe people are complaining its coming dinged up, because mine was loose in a oversized box, but luckily it has only one very slightly dinged corner.

[quote name='addicted2games']I got mine two days ago. Very nice book. Didnt know there was a problem with it on Amazon. Maybe people are complaining its coming dinged up, because mine was loose in a oversized box, but luckily it has only one very slightly dinged corner.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't call a slightly damaged new item being lucky.

[quote name='riotheart']I wouldn't call a slightly damaged new item being lucky.[/QUOTE]

It really is very minor ding and with it being unavailable from amazon at the moment, I dont want to deal with returning over such a small thing. I mean the condition of mine is a 9.5 out of 10, hell I have seen new books at B&M stores with more shelf wear than my book came in. I try to avoid returning lots of items to amazon and only have done it twice in my many years of buying from them. Dont want to be banned for multiple returns like some people have here.

Mine arrived perfect from Amazon a few days ago, and it was in a cardboard book mailer that had a little room on either side, but didn't seem to cause any damage during shipping.

This is an excellent book and I really look forward to Pix N Love other new books as well(The History of Mario, Gunpei Yokoi, History of Nintendo vol3, ect).

I was planning on getting this by the end of the month. I guess that's out the window. So it is about a "packaging issue" by Amazon?

I mean, at less than $32 I would have jumped, even if it had a few minor dings. That's how much of a Sonic fan I am.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I was planning on getting this by the end of the month. I guess that's out the window. So it is about a "packaging issue" by Amazon?

I mean, at less than $32 I would have jumped, even if it had a few minor dings. That's how much of a Sonic fan I am.[/QUOTE]

i dont really know what the packaging issue could be its a hardcover book its much harder to damage

that said i preordered this ages ago and forgot about it and it showed up a couple of weeks ago. i was contemplating returning but probably wont now.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I was planning on getting this by the end of the month. I guess that's out the window. So it is about a "packaging issue" by Amazon?

I mean, at less than $32 I would have jumped, even if it had a few minor dings. That's how much of a Sonic fan I am.[/QUOTE]

It should be back by then I hope. Stuff goes on review for Amazon all the time but sometimes it takes a week or two to come back.

Got my shipping notice for this from Right Stuf! I had it preordered, but had asked them to hold it until after I got back from holiday/vacation travels. Had flipped through a copy while I was away and it looks gorgeous. I hear it doesn't include much of anything about the Sonic comics published by Archie, but it otherwise looks like it covers everything Sonic. Can't wait to get it.

[quote name='blueshinra']Got my shipping notice for this from Right Stuf! I had it preordered, but had asked them to hold it until after I got back from holiday/vacation travels. Had flipped through a copy while I was away and it looks gorgeous. I hear it doesn't include much of anything about the Sonic comics published by Archie, but it otherwise looks like it covers everything Sonic. Can't wait to get it.[/QUOTE]

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Soni...1358361821&sr=8-1&keywords=sonic+encyclopedia

that should cover the comics for you

any deals for the book? also heard about a collectors edition of the book, but i cant seem to find one that ships to the US.

I'm interested in this but I dislike everything they've done with Sonic design-wise since 1999.

Side note: the Happy Meal box shown in the book is not accurate.

[quote name='fearlubu']any deals for the book? also heard about a collectors edition of the book, but i cant seem to find one that ships to the US.[/QUOTE]It's being distributed directly from Pix'n Love's site, so you'll have to import it for $47-ish (shipping is £6, or $9.43-ish). The only difference is the cover, & there's only 1,000, each numbered.

...though I don't understand why they'd do this AFTER releasing the book when most people would've already bought it.

[quote name='Zonic505']It's being distributed directly from Pix'n Love's site, so you'll have to import it for $47-ish (shipping is £6, or $9.43-ish). The only difference is the cover, & there's only 1,000, each numbered.

...though I don't understand why they'd do this AFTER releasing the book when most people would've already bought it.[/QUOTE]

Just to make sure, is it in English? I know they released a France version first.

[quote name='willardhaven']I'm interested in this but I dislike everything they've done with Sonic design-wise since 1999.

Side note: the Happy Meal box shown in the book is not accurate.[/QUOTE]

I had the same issues with later games and some of the inaccuracy but still really enjoyed it.

[quote name='EdgeCrusher36']Crap, I would have totally bought that instead of the regular. I guess I might even go ahead and get it though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered a collectors edition as well. For no other reason than to support these guys. Their books are beyond "fan" service in every way possible. The amount of information and details in their "History Of Nintendo" series is beyond explanation. I could live to be 100 and never put a book together that is as nice as those.

This is an "English" edition, as most of their current releases are updates to their "French" originals. I'm looking forward to the Mario and Gunpei Yokoi books as well.

Pix N love really deserves any true gamers support. They had a few snags in the road, so some books have been delayed, but they always deliver top quality products. My only complaint would be shipping can be super slow sometimes, but the books always arrive in perfect condition, and full of "Love". LOL

[quote name='Zaku77']I'm buying the CE. Why not; that looks awesome. I think I'll also grab the DMC book they have coming out.[/QUOTE]
These 2 & the Mario one looks damn cool!

[quote name='ImpurePhoen1x']Can anyone tell me the difference between La Poste and TNT besides the pricing[/QUOTE]

One is standard shipping, which can take up to 30days or more(trust me, I have had it take that long). TNT is express shipping, and takes 3-5 days(as is standard for international express services normally).

I went with the standard, so I hope they package it well, as all of my past books have been small and light weight(so the bubble mailers where fine for those items). These books are big and heavy, so I'm hoping they use a proper box/packaging. Time will tell.

[quote name='Zonic505']It's being distributed directly from Pix'n Love's site, so you'll have to import it for $47-ish (shipping is £6, or $9.43-ish). The only difference is the cover, & there's only 1,000, each numbered.

...though I don't understand why they'd do this AFTER releasing the book when most people would've already bought it.[/QUOTE]

I think you may have used the wrong conversion (even a day later). The price of one book shipped is 35.99 GBP or about $55 USD

[quote name='chrislaustin']One is standard shipping, which can take up to 30days or more(trust me, I have had it take that long). TNT is express shipping, and takes 3-5 days(as is standard for international express services normally).

I went with the standard, so I hope they package it well, as all of my past books have been small and light weight(so the bubble mailers where fine for those items). These books are big and heavy, so I'm hoping they use a proper box/packaging. Time will tell.[/QUOTE]

do u have the link for this TNT store? could not find online!

History of Sonic CE!? Yes please. Only 1,000 copies. Double yes!

I was eventually going to grab the regular edition as I didn't know this edition existed. I easily had no problem coughing up 60 bucks for this.

bread's done
Back