The HP Touchpad Guide Thread (get help with webOS, preware, video converters, etc)

[quote name='Pliskin101']That can be done without preware read my post again please. I am not against it I just think people should have the full scope and the warnings before doing it that is all.

:D[/QUOTE]

[quote name='McNutsack']I refuse to believe it only lasts an hour with the preware and stuff installed. Not even my ten year old laptop battery is that bad. Can any one else verify the battery life before and after?[/QUOTE]

I have over clocked mine to 1.5, and while the battery isn't quite as good, I haven't noticed a huge difference. It definitely lasts more than an hour lol.

[quote name='McNutsack']I refuse to believe it only lasts an hour with the preware and stuff installed. Not even my ten year old laptop battery is that bad. Can any one else verify the battery life before and after?[/QUOTE]

an hour? i dont think so...you meant 1h constant usage? that wouldnt be the case either.

Pleas use ORB on the HP TouchPad (Stream moves, music, pictures straight from any PC) Works like any numerous apps on IPad for streaming (AirVideo), its FREE!

Follow the detail instructions in the link (PreCentral Forums)
http://forums.precentral.net/3102085-post1.html

This should be put in the OP, the Touchpad does NOT have to have preware to use it. The best thing about it, is it plays every video format your computer is capable of since its streaming.

[quote name='Nagasami']an hour? i dont think so...you meant 1h constant usage? that wouldnt be the case either.[/QUOTE]

Yes, someone said it only lasts an hour. It was on the last page, the guy that suggested we dont overclock...im on my phone and too lazy to see who it was and quote him.ehh. i knew he had to be way off though

Please use ORB Caster on the HP TouchPad (Stream movies, music, pictures straight from any PC) Works like any numerous apps on IPad for streaming (AirVideo), its FREE!

This should be put in the OP, the Touchpad does NOT have to have preware to use it. The best thing about it, is it plays every video format your computer is capable of since its streaming. This also means you dont have to convert videos to correct format, saves a bunch of time.

I tried to put it in the Wiki (OP) but coulden't highlight the link, feel free to add it.

Here is a comparison. Look in the comments about battery. I have read several comparisons of the battery life and its very small.

I haven't overclocked yet but all the preware mods and logging will make a big difference. They are safe to do. We are not talking about minutes here. I am playing 720p mkv encodes and trying to break this and I can't at stock speed.

Based on that video, im not impressed with overclocking at all. Im not an important , busy person that needs to save a fraction of a second doing tasks on a Tablet. Ill search for other videos before I jump to conclusions, though. And look for more info on battery difference

[quote name='McNutsack']Based on that video, im not impressed with overclocking at all. Im not an important , busy person that needs to save a fraction of a second doing tasks on a Tablet. Ill search for other videos before I jump to conclusions, though. And look for more info on battery difference[/QUOTE]

agreed...if theres anything that video told me to do...its to NOT overclock lol

that video is a terrible selling point for overclocking it could barely beat and some times not even beat stock hp tablet fail

[quote name='Pliskin101']I have run the touchpad with and without the preware and so have a few friends. I would suggest staying away from it unless you get into the mood to be geeky. The overclocking will kill your battery in about an hour also I do not see the need for it as the touchpad is not slow on its own. As far as the preware it makes some difference but not much. You can quiet the logging without using preware at all just google how to quiet the touchpad logging and you should get the how to without hacking your system. Also be aware that there is an update to webos to 3.0.2 and if you aren't 100% positive that it is on your system do not install preware. First reason is the updater says your system is up to date after you click update and it goes through a unpacking process which many people believe it is truly up to date and then install preware and after you cannot in most cases install the update after the preware and some apps and hacks need that update to work.

Like I said unless you are one of those people that have to just get in and play with the guts or unless you find that your touchpad is painfully slow (which I doubt will happen) then maybe. But out of the box there is really no need for it and the touchpad is fine on it's own if you didn't get a brick from the store.

good luck and have fun.[/QUOTE]

coolstorybropa.jpg

Was the wall of bullshit necessary?

Overclocking is more to make the thing run through apps and such and such quicker and smoother. For me it doesn't have a big precedence over battery life as well as the TP's lifespan itself. I've already limited the logging on the thing and have updated to the latest version so it runs pretty smooth. I think that if you're on the fence on whether to overclock or not, you should probably not do it. Save yourself the heartache and just let it go. It doesn't make that big of a difference in my opinion.

[quote name='Aryss']Here is a comparison. Look in the comments about battery. I have read several comparisons of the battery life and its very small.

I haven't overclocked yet but all the preware mods and logging will make a big difference. They are safe to do. We are not talking about minutes here. I am playing 720p mkv encodes and trying to break this and I can't at stock speed.[/QUOTE]

I think your left hand is just slower than your right, are you right handed?

[quote name='McNutsack']Based on that video, im not impressed with overclocking at all. Im not an important , busy person that needs to save a fraction of a second doing tasks on a Tablet. Ill search for other videos before I jump to conclusions, though. And look for more info on battery difference[/QUOTE]

this

[quote name='Unstopabull']You turn it off and put it on the touchpad and the clock comes automatically. To get it to be pictures do you just have to run the app and place it on it or is there something else?[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure you go to the screen settings for that option. I could be wrong though it might be a feature in the photos app. Check out the settings first though.

I set the logging to minimal, and its fine. I'm not going to overclock this thing because it's efficent as a heat pump and i'm fine with that. To each his own i guess.

[quote name='Unstopabull']You turn it off and put it on the touchpad and the clock comes automatically. To get it to be pictures do you just have to run the app and place it on it or is there something else?[/QUOTE]

There is a menu in a the top left hand screen where you can choose whether it displays photos, time, Facebook, weather, and among other things that you download. You select which you want to choose from by clicking the exhibition

[quote name='Jacoblee23']There is a menu in a the top left hand screen where you can choose whether it displays photos, time, Facebook, weather, and among other things that you download.[/QUOTE]

thanks

[quote name='Poor2More']Pleas use ORB on the HP TouchPad (Stream moves, music, pictures straight from any PC) Works like any numerous apps on IPad for streaming (AirVideo), its FREE!

This should be put in the OP, the Touchpad does NOT have to have preware to use it. The best thing about it, is it plays every video format your computer is capable of since its streaming.[/QUOTE]

This is a Wiki thread. I wish ya'll would start putting the useful info in the OP. All of us can do it. And, it would be good if the mods LEAVE the BENEFICIAL info there.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']This is a Wiki thread. I wish ya'll would start putting the useful info in the OP. All of us can do it. And, it would be good if the mods LEAVE the BENEFICIAL info there.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how this streaming thing works. So I have to have my laptop right beside me or what ?

[quote name='Jacoblee23']I'm not sure how this streaming thing works. So I have to have my laptop right beside me or what ?[/QUOTE]

No, both the HP touchPad and your computer have to be on same Network (Router), as long as you get a Wifi signal on both then your golden. I actually finished watching a 720p movie (1:52 minutes) and only time it buffered was 10 seconds at the very beginning before it started, FYI the setup said my CPU speed was too low (ignore that, long as you have a duel core of some sort, you should be fine, Im using a Compaq laptop that I bought 4 years ago or so on sale at best buy, so it claimed the stream might be choppy but that was far the case, it looked and played great. (Also if your movie keeps buffering, just pause it and let it buffer for a few minutes, shouldent have any pauses or hiccups during entire movie now.

Easiest way to think of it JacobLee23...

Download Orb server on your PC you intend to stream from, point the program in the right direction of what folder you want to stream from (My documents/Video or where ever you store your movies on your hard drive. Then go to your TouchPad, go to www.Mycast.orb.com, Log in (Create free account if you havent already), There's only ONE more thing you need to do. Tap on SETTINGS at the top right of your screen. It'll bring up a popup control panel. Click on the drop-down menu and go to GENERAL. In the STREAMING FORMATS tab, click on ORB FLASH PLAYER.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Poor2More']No, both the HP touchPad and your computer have to be on same Network (Router), as long as you get a Wifi signal on both then your golden. I actually finished watching a 720p movie (1:52 minutes) and only time it buffered was 10 seconds at the very begining (Also if your movie keeps buffering, just pause it and let it buffer for a few minutes, shouldent have any pauses or hiccups during movie now.[/QUOTE]

So I play it through my computer and it streams through my touchpad? Sorry I am so clueless about this lol.

[quote name='Jacoblee23']So I play it through my computer and it streams through my touchpad? Sorry I am so clueless about this lol.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it streams the file off your pc. I do the same from my pc to my xbox. I have no idea why id want to do it with a tablet though, unless all the tvs were occupied in the house.

[quote name='Poor2More']No, both the HP touchPad and your computer have to be on same Network (Router), as long as you get a Wifi signal on both then your golden. I actually finished watching a 720p movie (1:52 minutes) and only time it buffered was 10 seconds at the very beginning before it started, FYI the setup said my CPU speed was too low (ignore that, long as you have a duel core of some sort, you should be fine, Im using a Compaq laptop that I bought 4 years ago or so on sale at best buy, so it claimed the stream might be choppy but that was far the case, it looked and played great. (Also if your movie keeps buffering, just pause it and let it buffer for a few minutes, shouldent have any pauses or hiccups during entire movie now.

Easiest way to think of it JacobLee23...

Download Orb server on your PC you intend to stream from, point the program in the right direction of what folder you want to stream from (My documents/Video or where ever you store your movies on your hard drive. Then go to your TouchPad, go to www.Mycast.orb.com, Log in (Create free account if you havent already), There's only ONE more thing you need to do. Tap on SETTINGS at the top right of your screen. It'll bring up a popup control panel. Click on the drop-down menu and go to GENERAL. In the STREAMING FORMATS tab, click on ORB FLASH PLAYER.[/QUOTE]
Does your laptop have to be ON for it to work? :whistle2:k would be kinda cool to just stream some iTunes music right into the TP when I'm not using my laptop.

Also I assume this works with Macbooks since it's technically just streaming over wifi?

so the Angry Birds pull card sound seems to be stuck on for all apps, anyone know how to disable it?

also, the sounds and notifications are confusing as hell

wow my TouchPad is flying, everything is so much quicker. I dident OverClock (with the speed Im getting now, I see no reason to)

I installed WebOSquickInstall, and then Preware and loaded these patches to the touchpad

-Advanced Reset Options (adds Luna reset to your power button, basically a quick restart, it will do a restart in under 10 seconds, much faster then the standard restart on the reboot button)
-Faster Card Animations HYPER version (as name implies, speeds up loading bunches)
-Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness 10 (Way better scrolling then stock, much smoother and little to no jitter at all when scrolling)
-Muffle System Logging (Speeds system up quick)
-Remove Dropped Packet Logging (Huge speed boost, Removes logging completely, probably the most important patch when giving your TP a speed boost)
-Remove Tap Ripple (believe it or not that touch ripple slowed the TP down, with it disabled you will notice the speed increase)
-Unthrottle Download Manager (HP Limits DL speed because of the possible 3G model that would of came out, and it helped cellular traffic bandwidth, This patch gets rid of the DL speed limit, I went from 60-80 kb/sec to 600kb-800kb/sec.
-Increase TouchPad Volume (as name implies increases volume over the standard max volume settings, depending which version you get Light (Increases 35%) or regular version (65%, honestly, its LOUD, little much for me though, I much prefer Light version)

I can honestly say with all them patches, my TP speed increased about %30 or more, but it just makes for a more smoother/enjoyable experience.

There has to be SOME negative to all the tweaks otherwise why wouldn't it ship this way? Does it kill your battery life?

[quote name='Romeo']There has to be SOME negative to all the tweaks otherwise why wouldn't it ship this way? Does it kill your battery life?[/QUOTE]

Not that Ive noticed and the OC boost is noticable especially in browsing and games...

[quote name='Poor2More']wow my TouchPad is flying, everything is so much quicker. I dident OverClock (with the speed Im getting now, I see no reason to)

I installed WebOSquickInstall, and then Preware and loaded these patches to the touchpad

-Advanced Reset Options (adds Luna reset to your power button, basically a quick restart, it will do a restart in under 10 seconds, much faster then the standard restart on the reboot button)
-Faster Card Animations HYPER version (as name implies, speeds up loading bunches)
-Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness 10 (Way better scrolling then stock, much smoother and little to no jitter at all when scrolling)
-Remove Dropped Packet Logging (Huge speed boost, Removes logging completely, probably the most important patch when giving your TP a speed boost)
-Remove Tap Ripple (believe it or not that touch ripple slowed the TP down, with it disabled you will notice the speed increase)
-Unthrottle Download Manager (HP Limits DL speed because of the possible 3G model that would of came out, and it helped cellular traffic bandwidth, This patch gets rid of the DL speed limit, I went from 60-80 kb/sec to 600kb-800kb/sec.
-Increase TouchPad Volume (as name implies increases volume over the standard max volume settings, depending which version you get Light (Increases 35%) or regular version (65%, honestly, its LOUD, little much for me though, I much prefer Light version)

I can honestly say with all them patches, my TP speed increased about %30 or more, but it just makes for a more smoother/enjoyable experience.[/QUOTE]

heh
thanks

i am afaird to touch my pad because i may scratch the screen
it does not have a screen protector right now :cry:

[quote name='cRodz']heh
thanks

i am afaird to touch my pad because i may scratch the screen
it does not have a screen protector right now :cry:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jack612']The screen is Gorilla Glass. I wouldn't worry too much about a screen protector.[/QUOTE]

unless you plan on using your touchpad on a bed of nails or you are Edward scissors hands then you shouldn't have to worry to much.

I don't have one yet but I think a case is the more important accessory because it would protect it against accidental spills or light drops.

[quote name='Poor2More']wow my TouchPad is flying, everything is so much quicker. I dident OverClock (with the speed Im getting now, I see no reason to)

I can honestly say with all them patches, my TP speed increased about %30 or more, but it just makes for a more smoother/enjoyable experience.[/QUOTE]

Damn. That just about talks me into doing the patches that you did...

[quote name='Poor2More']wow my TouchPad is flying, everything is so much quicker. I dident OverClock (with the speed Im getting now
can honestly say with all them patches, my TP speed increased about %30 or more, but it just makes for a more smoother/enjoyable experience.[/QUOTE]

did the exact same thing when I got preware installed

[quote name='ssjmichael']Scratch resistant != Scratch proof[/QUOTE]

I still have the plastic that came on the screen till I get my protector in.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Scratch resistant != Scratch proof[/QUOTE]
Agrees. Just chiming in on the "you don't need a screen protector, it's got electrolytes Gorilla Glass" crowd.

yeh i am about to install preware and those patches

BTW the black cleaning cloth that came with the pad is GODSEND
it really cleans smudges of my fingers and leaves it new!

[quote name='h3llbring3r']FWIW, I've seen plenty of scratched gorilla glass.[/QUOTE]

how did it get scratched? I have been through many gg phones and never had a problem.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Agrees. Just chiming in on the "you don't need a screen protector, it's got electrolytes Gorilla Glass" crowd.[/QUOTE]

How about "you don't need a screen protector if you're not retarded and keep it away from nails?" Seriously, if you have a case with a cover, how is this thing going to get scratched? If you drop it, you're probably screwed anyway. Are you worried birds are going to shit nickels out of the sky and fall on your touchpad?

[quote name='JaylisJayP']How about "you don't need a screen protector if you're not retarded and keep it away from nails?" Seriously, if you have a case with a cover, how is this thing going to get scratched? If you drop it, you're probably screwed anyway. Are you worried birds are going to shit nickels out of the sky and fall on your touchpad?[/QUOTE]

I've seen watch clasps and women who spin rings on their fingers easily scratch it.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I've seen watch clasps and women who spin rings on their fingers easily scratch it.[/QUOTE]

well yeah, if you're gonna scrape it with metal, sure. But in the course of every day use, you'd have to try hard.

[quote name='confoosious']well yeah, if you're gonna scrape it with metal, sure. But in the course of every day use, you'd have to try hard.[/QUOTE]

All those examples are in the course of everyday use. The scratch my wife put on our ipad while playing fruit ninja, I guess that was not everyday use?

The zig-zag my in laws have on their ipad from a watch band occurred during every day use.

Accidental? Obviously, but it was during the course of everyday use.

I drive safe, I don't need car insurance- not worth the money right? I can watch out for myself and the other guy all day long.

It's accidents and the other guy everytime. Nobody, who's not retarded or trying to damage them, uses nails on these things or expects birds to "shit nickels out of the sky."

[quote name='h3llbring3r']All those examples are in the course of everyday use. The scratch my wife put on our ipad while playing fruit ninja, I guess that was not everyday use?

The zig-zag my in laws have on their ipad from a watch band occurred during every day use.

Accidental? Obviously, but it was during the course of everyday use.

I drive safe, I don't need car insurance- not worth the money right? I can watch out for myself and the other guy all day long.

It's accidents and the other guy everytime. Nobody, who's not retarded or trying to damage them, uses nails on these things or expects birds to "shit nickels out of the sky."[/QUOTE]

I don't have accidents in my car cause I don't have a big piece of metal sticking out the sides when I drive it.

Just take your watch and/or ring off.

bread's done
Back