The HP Touchpad Guide Thread (get help with webOS, preware, video converters, etc)

Gorrilla glass still gets microscopic superficial "lines". I dont even know if im allowed to call em scratches. You can see em when the backlight is off, but when its on you cant. So, really, a protector or not, i think itll always look nice with the backlight on. But im anal and love protectors; they make the screen look nice and smooth even when backlight is off.

Are these scratches even visible with the screen on? I've had scratches on many of my gadgets including my DS but they're not visible at all when the device is on. Only when you look at them under a light can you see them really. I'm sure even my tablet has a few scratches now

[quote name='McNutsack']Gorrilla glass still gets microscopic superficial "lines". I dont even know if im allowed to call em scratches. You can see em when the backlight is off, but when its on you cant. So, really, a protector or not, i think itll always look nice with the backlight on. But im anal and love protectors; they make the screen look nice and smooth even when backlight is off.[/QUOTE]

I"d get a screen protector just for the fingerprint factor.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']All those examples are in the course of everyday use. The scratch my wife put on our ipad while playing fruit ninja, I guess that was not everyday use?

The zig-zag my in laws have on their ipad from a watch band occurred during every day use.

Accidental? Obviously, but it was during the course of everyday use.

I drive safe, I don't need car insurance- not worth the money right? I can watch out for myself and the other guy all day long.

It's accidents and the other guy everytime. Nobody, who's not retarded or trying to damage them, uses nails on these things or expects birds to "shit nickels out of the sky."[/QUOTE]

Every day use and carelessness are different, use a stylus made for it if people have such problems. If they can't handle it properly, don't use it.

[quote name='confoosious']I don't have accidents in my car cause I don't have a big piece of metal sticking out the sides when I drive it.[/QUOTE]
No, bumpers? No, Fenders? No rear view mirrors? No tow hitches? Okay, enjoy your go-kart.

[quote name='confoosious']Just take your watch and/or ring off.[/QUOTE]

:lol: That's practical. Let take my watch and or ring off, that costs many times more than the device, just to loose it so I can use a device that obviously doesn't need a screen protector. :lol:

I wouldn't be so overly confident or "proud of this technological terror" that is Gorilla Glass- it's obviously got a torpedo sized hole in it's impervious defenses.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Are these scratches even visible with the screen on? I've had scratches on many of my gadgets including my DS but they're not visible at all when the device is on. Only when you look at them under a light can you see them really. I'm sure even my tablet has a few scratches now[/QUOTE]

Yes, in fact they have a nice prismatic effect to them when the backlight is on & displaying white. Which is extra nice and distracting, maybe you'd like that.

FWIW, a tablet is not a phone. You hold it different, the angle your hand and fingers gesture with it are different (generally much flatter and closer to parallel than a phone). I wouldn't use a phone with GG as a comparison for everyday use in terms of screen wear.

It's simple- either protect the screen or don't, yes gorilla glass in an improvement over past technologies but it is far from impervious.

[quote name='sevendayrevolution']Every day use and carelessness are different, use a stylus made for it if people have such problems. If they can't handle it properly, don't use it.[/QUOTE]

Use a stylus, to play fruit ninja? Brilliant.

[quote name='confoosious']I"d get a screen protector just for the fingerprint factor.[/QUOTE]
I can't wipe my screen so many times!

ugh smudges fudges

[quote name='h3llbring3r']

:lol: That's practical. Let take my watch and or ring off, that costs many times more than the device, just to loose it so I can use a device that obviously doesn't need a screen protector. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I assume that none of the people you know posses pockets or a second arm/hand?

Btw, this is why 99.9% of people wear their rings/watches on their off hand.

[quote name='confoosious']I assume that none of the people you know posses pockets or a second arm/hand?[/QUOTE]
Yes, because engagement rings and watches don't fall out of pockets and we only use our tablets with one hand. :roll:

If you trust your pocket with either an expensive watch or ring, you're probably of the intellectual caliber of those who trust gorilla glass as your sole level of screen protection. :booty:

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Yes, because engagement rings and watches don't fall out of pockets and we only use our tablets with one hand. :roll:

If you trust your pocket with either an expensive watch or ring, you're probably of the intellectual caliber of those who trust gorilla glass as your sole level of screen protection. :booty:[/QUOTE]

If you're so rich, I would also assume your pockets have no holes. I guess that swatch must be a family heirloom. :roll:

If you want a screen protector, go for it. But most of us aren't gonna scratch the hell out of it with a watch or ring... .cause most of us aren't that careless.

My tablet definitely has scratches and I don't see any when it's on, same with my DS. Same thing with fingerprints too actually. I'd also say that scratching it with a watch band or even a ring is very atypical.

Also: h3llbring3r you're being a little too defensive here

[quote name='confoosious']If you're so rich, I would also assume your pockets have no holes. I guess that swatch must be a family heirloom. :roll:[/QUOTE]
Never said I was or wasn't, but don't most rings (especially pronged with any gem/stones)- and even the average watch cost more than what we are talking about here?

I'm sorry you're too poor for a screen protector, maybe buying a Touchpad was a bad financial move if so? (See how assumptions like that work?)

[quote name='ssjmichael']
Also: h3llbring3r you're being a little too defensive here[/QUOTE]
Am I? I was offering some legitimate personal experience with GG on tablets and someone accused me of being stupid enough to scratch my device with nails or having birds shit coins from the sky. I think not sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='h3llbring3r']

:lol: That's practical. Let take my watch and or ring off, that costs many times more than the device, just to loose it so I can use a device that obviously doesn't need a screen protector. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I assume that none of the people you know posses pockets or a second arm/hand?

Btw, this is why 99.9% of people wear their rings/watches on their off hand.

[quote name='confoosious']I assume that none of the people you know posses pockets or a second arm/hand?[/QUOTE]
Yes, because engagement rings and watches don't fall out of pockets and we only use our tablets with one hand. :roll:

If you trust your pocket with either an expensive watch or ring, you're probably of the intellectual caliber of those who trust gorilla glass as your sole level of screen protection. :booty:

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Yes, because engagement rings and watches don't fall out of pockets and we only use our tablets with one hand. :roll:

If you trust your pocket with either an expensive watch or ring, you're probably of the intellectual caliber of those who trust gorilla glass as your sole level of screen protection. :booty:[/QUOTE]

If you're so rich, I would also assume your pockets have no holes. I guess that swatch must be a family heirloom. :roll:

My tablet definitely has scratches and I don't see any when it's on, same with my DS. Same thing with fingerprints too actually. I'd also say that scratching it with a watch band or even a ring is very atypical.

Also: h3llbring3r you're being a little too defensive here

[quote name='Jiggaloj']I wish there were more emulators for the TP besides the SNES emulator. It works great by the way.[/QUOTE]

what are the buttons? lol

[quote name='neonglow']You can connect a bluetooth controller like the sixaxis or wiimote.[/QUOTE]

Now I HAVE to get one of these.

Going to start the update/optimization process shortly. So very excited to start using this!

I just need to get a good screen protector for it still. I'd also love to find a slipcase that would fit the bluetooth keyboard, but I'm not sure where I'd find that.

Anyone able to load the webOS Quick Installer and Novacom drivers onto a MacBook Pro running Lion and Java 1.6? I can't do any of the tweaks and Preware because the damn drivers won't install. Grrr.

USA Today app is slick. Facebook doesn't seem to work.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Anyone able to load the webOS Quick Installer and Novacom drivers onto a MacBook Pro running Lion and Java 1.6? I can't do any of the tweaks and Preware because the damn drivers won't install. Grrr.

USA Today app is slick. Facebook doesn't seem to work.[/QUOTE]

FB work for me.

Don't know how many of you know this but there is an easter egg:

Hold your touchpad horizontally with the button on the left (I believe). Drag a card DOWN and let go.

If it doesn't work, I'm wrong and it's holding it with the button on the right.

I've done all the precentral "hacks" and it definitely sped up my tablet.

I wouldn't worry too much because I can Doctor it whenever I want. This would be like tweaking the registry... I've done that with Windows 95... all the way to Windows 7. There are backup plans in place.

I haven't done the normal-clock, since I don't need the speed.

[quote name='david12795']for those who overclock theirs - how hard was it for you guys?[/QUOTE]

I haven't OCed yet but it's easy, you just need: Preware, UberKernal and Govnah (in that order)!

anyone know of a good ereader program on webos that reads pdf files? I know adobe reader is on there but its not a good program for ebooks.

or is there a pdf to epub converter out there that keeps your page format and everything untouched.

[quote name='david12795']for those who overclock theirs - how hard was it for you guys?[/QUOTE]

once I found out how to get preware installed the rest was easy

[quote name='killer9']Gorilla glass is really hard to scratch[/QUOTE]

I'm not worried about scratches...more to keep it pristine..easier to woe down the protectors than the screen and risk damage

[quote name='Strigol']once I found out how to get preware installed the rest was easy[/QUOTE]

yeah, this isn't like jailbreaking an apple product. Its pretty easy and doesn't take any special knowledge of coding or anything.

anyone else having these problems with the touchpad..error unable to load page when clicking a link example would be the best buy locator in the op. The other issue is having to do a constant refresh. I can look at a threads last page leave this site return to the same thread and end up on the same page with no new posts.

[quote name='banzaiwolfe']Not hard enough apparently, my bf managed to scratch his already :/[/QUOTE]

Was he using a nail for a stlys or something?

[quote name='dutch72']anyone else having these problems with the touchpad..error unable to load page when clicking a link example would be the best buy locator in the op. The other issue is having to do a constant refresh. I can look at a threads last page leave this site return to the same thread and end up on the same page with no new posts.[/QUOTE]

I got link errors and app freezes when I did that znet.com(or whatever) Skype call hack. Someone here told me to hold down the button on the top right and bottom front for 10 seconds or so! Works great, again!:D I'm happy with how it is right out of the box. For me, that was hype. I may contemplate Android when that is available.

[quote name='cRodz']that 8-2 is getting on your head :cry:[/QUOTE]

We'll be back. Were never going to win the League anyway. Still 2 trophies to play for.

Just wondering... has anyone whose got a snes emulator running on this been able to hook up a blue tooth remote like a ps3 remote or other type of controller to be able to play with? If not I'm hoping the Onlive controller thats coming out thats supposed to be compatible with tablets will work

[quote name='admiralvic']in theory any bluetooth keyboard should work.[/QUOTE]

Okay great - so this should work fine then, I found even a better video - seems like if its working even on the iPhone 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC_ZrnFRf_A&feature=related

I got this for $6 shipped on newegg about a year and a half ago and thought id had use for it but the price was kind of good for that time so i just bought it, but its been sitting in the closest since then. I guess the day has come for this Keyboard to be put for use, or at least try it.

[quote name='SpeedBrkr']I haven't OCed yet but it's easy, you just need: Preware, UberKernal and Govnah (in that order)![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Strigol']once I found out how to get preware installed the rest was easy[/QUOTE]

[quote name='joshrocker']yeah, this isn't like jailbreaking an apple product. Its pretty easy and doesn't take any special knowledge of coding or anything.[/QUOTE]

awesome thanks you guys. guess ill google the rest and ill be set. hopefully this OCing will make a difference in loading PDFs. It takes forever to load my 40 MB PDF :cry:

I can live with the lagging response and heavy weight but the resolution scaling really sucks. It's like most of the things are not scaled to the display's native resolution so they all look blurry. Completely ruined my intention to use it as a comic reader.

Thanks for this thread. I'll definitely support this thread when I find some awesome apps. Just downloaded the voice recorder app. It's phenemonal because I like to take audio notes when I'm in class.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']I got link errors and app freezes when I did that znet.com(or whatever) Skype call hack. Someone here told me to hold down the button on the top right and bottom front for 10 seconds or so! Works great, again!:D I'm happy with how it is right out of the box. For me, that was hype. I may contemplate Android when that is available.[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for the Info. but It didn't work, after it turned back on it couldn't pick up my wi-fi signal so I reset it it again which fixed the wi-fi issue but not the other ones. It appears this is happening to others...

browser issue: It looks like the stock browser will store cached copies of pages and that is fine on some websites, however that is an issue for forums. When you go to log in and your forum redirects to the same page you were on it appears that the browser will still display the page from before you signed in. If you hit refresh then it will display the current page. Now if you look at forums and then come back later it will appear the same like you never looked. There should be some way to disable browser caching.

Taken from the precentral forums

[quote name='dutch72']Hey thanks for the Info. but It didn't work, after it turned back on it couldn't pick up my wi-fi signal so I reset it it again which fixed the wi-fi issue but not the other ones. It appears this is happening to others...

browser issue: It looks like the stock browser will store cached copies of pages and that is fine on some websites, however that is an issue for forums. When you go to log in and your forum redirects to the same page you were on it appears that the browser will still display the page from before you signed in. If you hit refresh then it will display the current page. Now if you look at forums and then come back later it will appear the same like you never looked. There should be some way to disable browser caching.

Taken from the precentral forums[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... Is that what 'brick' means? Some people in this thread mentioned, 'possibly', bricking it 'if' you do those hacks.

I think you'll get it resolved, quickly.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Hmmm... Is that what 'brick' means? Some people in this thread mentioned, 'possibly', bricking it 'if' you do those hacks.

I think you'll get it resolved, quickly.[/QUOTE]

Brick is a term used for making the device completely useless. So over having an HP touchpad you have a 9 inch paper weight/brick. A lot of people confuse a semi brick with a brick as a semi brick can be fixed and even some complete bricks can be fixed. (like the pandora battery and the PSP) That being said most times it's said as more of a disclaimer for someone that really screwed up. For instance updating with hacks that mess up the system or simply losing power during a update.

A lot of things are designed to have fail safes; if only to make fixing them easier on the company, but overall I would treat the brick as usual A = B talk.

B&M Clearence item = YMMV
Price Matching = YMMV
Finding a HP Touchpad = YMMV
and Hacking = Possible Brick

[quote name='admiralvic']Brick is a term used for making the device completely useless. So over having an HP touchpad you have a 9 inch paper weight/brick. A lot of people confuse a semi brick with a brick as a semi brick can be fixed and even some complete bricks can be fixed. (like the pandora battery and the PSP) That being said most times it's said as more of a disclaimer for someone that really screwed up. For instance updating with hacks that mess up the system or simply losing power during a update.

A lot of things are designed to have fail safes; if only to make fixing them easier on the company, but overall I would treat the brick as usual A = B talk.

B&M Clearence item = YMMV
Price Matching = YMMV
Finding a HP Touchpad = YMMV
and Hacking = Possible Brick[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the brick explanation.

[quote name='howlinmad']After the wife has had hers for a couple of nights now (I want one that I can setup my accounts on), I have to say it's exactly what we were wanting.
I realize everybody is entitled to their opinion, but for the folks bashing this thing, I guess it matters what you are looking for.

We wanted to browse the web, check email, check Facebook, and more or less play on it. It does that aces.
Minus connecting to iTunes (which we both just use our iPhones for this with music), it does everything we wanted.

Money well spent. Seems like a solid device to me.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the iHeartRadio app if you don't, already, have it!:)

bread's done
Back