The HP Touchpad Guide Thread (get help with webOS, preware, video converters, etc)

I've already powered the TP off once, and once back on it still says it's up to date, even though it's not.
Does shutting it off and on count as a soft reset? or is there another way to do that?

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Its too late apparently they are all expired.[/QUOTE]

Do you know where to add it? Those codes have been up, atleast, 3 times now. They'll be back.

man i thought these were unlimited. wtf. how can you sell out of free.
my touchpad arrives tomorrow. i guess im gonna miss out

[quote name='iggypop123']man i thought these were unlimited. wtf. how can you sell out of free.
my touchpad arrives tomorrow. i guess im gonna miss out[/QUOTE]

you already did :(

PS - Quickoffice is awesome :D

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Do you know where to add it? Those codes have been up, atleast, 3 times now. They'll be back.[/QUOTE]

You have to go to the apps catalog and search for the game/app you want. Click on the purchase tab (you'll have to enter CC info if you haven't done that yet) then a pop-up screen will ask you to verify purchase with CC OR enter a promo code. If you're hesitant on having your CC info on your TP it's extremely easy to remove it afterwards, just be prepared to have to enter it all over again if there's another 6 pack of apps.

[quote name='mentalward']Thanks for the heads up. I just updated the app and yes editing works now. I was surprised when that wasn't included in the first place. Good to see that development is continuing in spite of the death of the platform.

BTW, Adobe reader was updated also but I am unsure of what has changed.[/QUOTE]

Weird. I replied to a post in the other thread and it ended up here. Some kind of wormhole between forums?

Probably more on topic for this thread anyway. And now I know this exists so happy times I guess.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Why this artificial scarcity of digital goods? Really sucks for people who have, you know, DAY JOBS and don't have their pads handy to jump on these deals. Pfft.[/QUOTE]

because HP is presumably paying for each one of these codes. Even Amazon has ran out of codes for digital items before.

It was odd to release the codes when they did though. I happened to be off work today and only really bothered to get angry Birds Rio and Quell anyways.

How do I get the 3.0.2 update? Mine is 3.0.0 and it say it is updated. I didn;t do any preware yet, all I did was limit logging and turn on developer mode

[quote name='joseraul']New 6-pack of free apps available:

HP Palm Blog

Apps are:

Big Boss
Camera
Angry Birds Rio
Quell
Pennant
FlightPredictor[/QUOTE]

Damnit, I missed it. That's what I get for taking a business trip without my Touchpad. Then again, I did not want to risk it without a case...which came in today.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Quick office editing is now live, according to the blog. Apparently its free also.[/QUOTE]

This thing just gets better and better :bouncy:

Ugh, can't believe I missed out on these apps too. I really want the Camera app and Glimpse (from the last round); Angry Birds or Quell would've been nice too. Guess I need to find some way of being alerted when HP/Palm updates that blog, so I don't miss them again.

I noticed my OD TP had a fine coating of dust on the outer plastic. My g/f said it was left in the door in a padded envelope. She'd already taken it out of the packaging when I'd gotten there. My Kmart unit came in a plain brown HP outer box and that was in a larger box with air pillows.

I did an OTA update of their 16GB yesterday and today opened my 32GB and the damn thing says I'm up-to-date with 3.0. I'm currently running webOS Doctor and it's being super slow in downloading, even on her mediocre DSL. I should've waiting to get home to my boss Comcast pipe.

While I'm waiting, I came across this PC World story, Amazon Tablet Will Be First True iPad Challenger, Research Firm Predicts:

Amazon reportedly is readying an Android tablet that may cost "hundreds less" than the iPad, and may launch the product this fall, according to recent rumors. As Forrester sees it, an Amazon-branded slate priced below $300 would be a huge hit--selling 3- to 5-million units in the fourth quarter alone, assuming Amazon has enough supply to meet demand.

Unlike Apple, which earns most of its income from hardware sales, Amazon isn't seeking a profit from hardware, Forrester says. The retailer could sell its slate as a loss leader, but still profit by directing its tablet users to Amazon services and software. This strategy would likely strain the already shaky Amazon/Apple relationship.

Any of that sound familiar? ;)

Oh, what the fuck?!? Stupid webOS Doctor DL just restarted! RAGE!!!

[quote name='TheRock88']Got my Touchpad from OD today and holy crap was the packaging bad. For some godforsaken reason, they added this dust like stuff as the padding and its now all over my carpet. It looks like the stuff that you get after you empty your vacuum cleaner.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DirkBelig']I noticed my OD TP had a fine coating of dust on the outer plastic. My g/f said it was left in the door in a padded envelope. She'd already taken it out of the packaging when I'd gotten there. My Kmart unit came in a plain brown HP outer box and that was in a larger box with air pillows.

I did an OTA update of their 16GB yesterday and today opened my 32GB and the damn thing says I'm up-to-date with 3.0. I'm currently running webOS Doctor and it's being super slow in downloading, even on her mediocre DSL. I should've waiting to get home to my boss Comcast pipe.

While I'm waiting, I came across this PC World story, Amazon Tablet Will Be First True iPad Challenger, Research Firm Predicts:

Amazon reportedly is readying an Android tablet that may cost "hundreds less" than the iPad, and may launch the product this fall, according to recent rumors. As Forrester sees it, an Amazon-branded slate priced below $300 would be a huge hit--selling 3- to 5-million units in the fourth quarter alone, assuming Amazon has enough supply to meet demand.

Unlike Apple, which earns most of its income from hardware sales, Amazon isn't seeking a profit from hardware, Forrester says. The retailer could sell its slate as a loss leader, but still profit by directing its tablet users to Amazon services and software. This strategy would likely strain the already shaky Amazon/Apple relationship.

Any of that sound familiar? ;)

Oh, what the fuck?!? Stupid webOS Doctor DL just restarted! RAGE!!![/QUOTE]

cant wait for that amazon tablet :D

this is some one's post on engadget

"HP didn't kill anything. Everybody knows that they're in China right now, producing, building and manufacturing brand new HP Touchpads. Why else would it take so long to receive stock? It's obvious that HP is gauging demand for their products by taking down everyone's information. Do we even know the numbers on those? They are probably in the millions. This is an excellent standpoint for HP. They now have free reign to take advantage of this opportunity as they see fit. I wouldn't be surprised if it was their plan right from the start. Think about it, it's obvious. HP never once said that they were killing off or abandoning the WebOS. They said they could be moving it to other devices. Like the HP Touchpad 2."

Interesting.

And according to some other interesting source:

"Samsung may be interested in purchasing webOS from HP to compete with iOS and Android, according to a DigiTimes report.

The sources noted that the acquisition of HP's PC business, which has a rather low gross margin, may turn out to hurt Samsung's panel and DRAM businesses that have rather high gross margins, therefor HP's webOS may be the target that Samsung has the most interest in.

In addition, Google's acquisition of Motorola, which may seriously threaten hardware brand vendors, could also trigger Samsung to purchase webOS as a counter measure, the sources added.

Both HP and Samsung declined to comment on the matter."

[quote name='Video-Gamer']this is some one's post on engadget

"HP didn't kill anything. Everybody knows that they're in China right now, producing, building and manufacturing brand new HP Touchpads. Why else would it take so long to receive stock? It's obvious that HP is gauging demand for their products by taking down everyone's information. Do we even know the numbers on those? They are probably in the millions. This is an excellent standpoint for HP. They now have free reign to take advantage of this opportunity as they see fit. I wouldn't be surprised if it was their plan right from the start. Think about it, it's obvious. HP never once said that they were killing off or abandoning the WebOS. They said they could be moving it to other devices. Like the HP Touchpad 2."

Interesting.[/QUOTE]
Everyone who believes that HP is still producing these things, at a loss nonetheless, is extremely inane. The point of a business is to make money, and by selling these things at a $300-400 loss, they are not only losing money but losing trust in shareholders. Good businesses are profitable and have profitable services/products, HP is no longer a good business. If you think HP is still manufacturing these things just look to the recently reported news of HP canceling the 7 inch version of the TouchPad, set to be called the TouchPad Go.

My INSIGHT package was beautiful. It came in a huge box about 3x bigger than the Touchpad box, filled with tons of those air-padded plastic...stuff. Inside this big box was another brown box, nicely sealed with shipping info to INSIGHT from HP. And of course inside that was the real Touchpad box. My FedEx guy literally chucked it 5 feet onto my doorstep, rang the doorbell and ran, lol. He probably knew it was a TP and was sick of delivering them.

For those having trouble updating from 3.0.0 to 3.0.2, here's what you gotta do; keep your Touchpad on, idle. Every hour turn the screen back on and try to update it. Eventually it'll work, or it'll pop up a notification that it's found an update for you, all by itself...The key is having it in sleep-mode/idle =)

[quote name='david12795']its a calculus book with 1000 pages[/QUOTE]

Ah calculus..

I took a business-themed Calculus class.

Derivate was fun
Anti-derivative was fun (sort of)

Easy numbers :)
although, the professor tests included answers ranging from 313300000 to 4367 unlike the book which had answers like 32000 or 300
What a troll

[quote name='cRodz']A calculus..

I took a business-themed Calculus class.

Derivate was fun
Anti-derivative was fun (sort of)

Easy numbers though :)[/QUOTE]

Calculus 2 is so so bad...

if anybody can show me how to split a PDF file into half (40 MB into two 20 MBs) thatd be nice. ive been trying to do this for the last hour.

[quote name='ZForce915']Do you have Acrobat? I'm pretty sure you can't do it from just the Reader.[/QUOTE]

no i believe not....i will try that on my desktop

[quote name='ZForce915']If you don't, send it to me and I'll split it for you.[/QUOTE]

thaks :D but ill see how i can do myself first.

[quote name='david12795']if anybody can show me how to split a PDF file into half (40 MB into two 20 MBs) thatd be nice. ive been trying to do this for the last hour.[/QUOTE]

Not easy, but you'd have to get Adobe pro.

you could "reprint" but two times the compression is going to ruin the document if it isn't some clear text.

You could probably reprint it using the Office tiff creator, then cut pages and then reprint.

I've had to do that before, but good luck getting the file size down because it tends to make them bigger.

[quote name='xycury']Not easy, but you'd have to get Adobe pro.

you could "reprint" but two times the compression is going to ruin the document if it isn't some clear text.

You could probably reprint it using the Office tiff creator, then cut pages and then reprint.

I've had to do that before, but good luck getting the file size down because it tends to make them bigger.[/QUOTE]

fuck that then. ill just buy a textbook :cool:

[quote name='david12795']fuck that then. ill just buy a textbook :cool:[/QUOTE]
did you try and overclock the tp using ondemand on govnah? utilizing both cores at 1.5ghz

it makes my textbooks search a whole lot faster

[quote name='miroresh']I ordered through the Small Business and I JUST GOT a confirmation email. There is still hope.

Hewlett-Packard receipt of xxxxxx ordered on 08/29/2011
Thank you for choosing Hewlett-Packard Company as your provider. Below are the details of your recent purchase. To check the status of your order online, please refer to the order status link on our website.[/QUOTE]
you have false hope. smb is done selling tps. if they get a restock itll be on home and home office. theyve been canceling smb orders after last monday for a while now/

[quote name='shosh']did you try and overclock the tp using ondemand on govnah? utilizing both cores at 1.5ghz

it makes my textbooks search a whole lot faster

you have false hope. smb is done selling tps. if they get a restock itll be on home and home office. theyve been canceling smb orders after last monday for a while now/[/QUOTE]

its not the searching but the loading takes forever because its such a big file. my other PDF thats 7 MB is fine.

[quote name='david12795']its not the searching but the loading takes forever because its such a big file. my other PDF thats 7 MB is fine.[/QUOTE]
i got a 30mb pdf text book too at 1000 pages and it loads fine.

[quote name='shosh']i got a 30mb pdf text book too at 1000 pages and it loads fine.[/QUOTE]

weird, guess this TP cant load PDFs fast enough underclocked.
guess i will try to OC mine NOW. and see how it goes.

[quote name='david12795']weird, guess this TP cant load PDFs fast enough underclocked.
guess i will try to OC mine NOW. and see how it goes.[/QUOTE]
go to govnah, hit

profile-> hit advanced settings on the top-> cpu frequency -> governor -> use "ondemand" not "ondemandtcl"

and set your min freq on to 384.

then save your profile

[quote name='shosh']go to govnah, hit

profile-> hit advanced settings on the top-> cpu frequency -> governor -> use "ondemand" not "ondemandtcl"

and set your min freq on to 384.

then save your profile[/QUOTE]

i havent OC'd it yet. im still trying to figure how to OC it but this is all too frustating (many other personal situations) and the fact that i may need a new calc book. and theres way to many instructions on how to OC it im losing track..on top of that, my keyboard malfunctioned just now.

Has anyone figured out how to make free wifi (voip) calls with the touchpad through google voice?

For example, I can currently make free phone calls to whoever i want with my android phone and an app called groove ip. This is b/c google voice actually has a free voip service (U.S. calls only) that competes with skype. The groove ip app in android marketplace essentially taps into the same google voice service to connect your call. On a windows pc, you can simply download google's official app within gmail to make free calls as well. If you check your gmail account in on your computer you can see the "free calls from gmail" on the left-hand menu.

I also noticed google has already released a .deb app file (for debian linux distributions such as ubuntu) similar to the windows version.

So is there any way to make free voip calls w/ the hp touchpad yet?
(i have a touchpad on me and am open to ideas)

[quote name='david12795']fuck that then. ill just buy a textbook :cool:[/QUOTE]

Are you able to access it? If so, get cutepdf. Then, print through it and select half the pages. Then, save, repeat the process for the second half.

That's what I would do.

Wow, I am liking this tablet more than I expected. webOS is fantastic. The multitasking is satisfying and effective. The hardware runs really fast after the various tweaks. My corporate email and calendar connects just fine. And I was even able to import a pfx certificate for my company's wifi to get behind the firewall. I didn't anticipate it to be such a winner.

[quote name='TheDudeAbides']You have to go to the apps catalog and search for the game/app you want. Click on the purchase tab (you'll have to enter CC info if you haven't done that yet) then a pop-up screen will ask you to verify purchase with CC OR enter a promo code. If you're hesitant on having your CC info on your TP it's extremely easy to remove it afterwards, just be prepared to have to enter it all over again if there's another 6 pack of apps.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh... Thanks!:) I see certain posts got moved.

i installed all the patches but how do i know if i installed it correctly? i havent noticed any difference (didnt use govnah yet)

also im hearing different settings for govnah....how do i know which one is safe?

Got all the free apps except the camera one, but given the bad ratings I'm not bummed about it. Plus, the digicamera lite works great for taking photos because they come out so clear and it's so easy to use. Anyway, thanks very much to all those who tried to help me earlier. I had to use the tech support chat on the pad to get help and ended up having to run webOS doctor to get the latest system update because it was still stuck on version 3.0.0.

Also just got the advanced browser app. It works great and even faster with tabbed browsing, just lacking some key features I would have liked for it to have.

[quote name='fuchikoma']large PDF textbook solution:

http://www.pdfsam.org/

it's not the most user friendly, but it is free, and was able to parse bookmarks from my chemisty text and split it into chapters.[/QUOTE]

thanks...i didnt see your post....will look into it,

bread's done
Back