The HP Touchpad Guide Thread (get help with webOS, preware, video converters, etc)

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']Your best option would probably be to send it in to HP so they can fix that issue (if not a local computer repair shop).[/QUOTE]You only can send it to HP. No "local computer repair shop" would be able to fix it, nor get parts.

The one I bought for the wife runs great, and all I did was turn off some of the logging. Honestly the bit I've used it, I'm thrilled with the speed and see no need for OCing. Maybe I'm not as much as a geek as I thought. Now if I had one solely for me....Android would/will be going on it.

Other than that, why?

[quote name='Pookymeister']my TP seems good enough not oc'd.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='david12795']im having trouble signing in on skype...is this due to logging?[/QUOTE]

That shouldn't effect that at all. I was able to make a new account after I logged my system.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Was helping my family set up their Touchpad and it made some weird chirping/quacking noises. I did some quick diagnostics with the built-in app and it's the vibration motors. They're not vibrating correctly. Instead of rumbling the device, they just kind of rumble themselves and create that strange sound.

I'm not really sure what to do. I haven't installed Preware or overclocked it, but I have disabled logging. I'm hoping that hasn't disabled the warranty.[/QUOTE]

If I were you, I would just turn off vibration. Actually, that's the first thing I did when the touchpad started alerting me to incoming IMs, and my vibration was actually working properly... :)

[quote name='hellmutt']If I were you, I would just turn off vibration. Actually, that's the first thing I did when the touchpad started alerting me to incoming IMs, and my vibration was actually working properly... :)[/QUOTE]
Where is that setting? I couldn't seem to find it when I looked last night.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Where is that setting? I couldn't seem to find it when I looked last night.[/QUOTE]

under settings-sounds & ringtones.

I've got to say the speakers on this things are awesome. I've compared it to my iPads and there's no doubt which tablet has the superior sound.

some guy sold 10 32gb for $99 + $45.49 shipping, sounds too good to be true: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HP-Touc...t=US_Tablets&hash=item3a69fd8d76#ht_818wt_922

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoying this thing. Only drawback is the lack of apps. Disabled all the logging, and OC'd to 1.5ghz. Runs like a champ!

Currently installed in Preware:

UberKernel
Add Launcher Tabs
EOM Overlord Monitoring
Hulu Fix
Ad Blocker
Add Download Link Option
Advanced Reset Options
Faster Card Animations HYPER Version
Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness
Make It So
Muffle System Logging
Quiet powerd Messages
Remove Dropped Packet Logging
Remove Tap Ripple
Unset CFQ IO Scheduler
Unthrottle Download Manager
Glass Effect Suite - Touchpad Theme
Govnah
Internalz Pro

Currently installed apps:

Camera
Video Flood HD
InterfaceLIFT HD
Epicurious
Box
AccuWeather
Facebook Tablet
Spaz HD Beta Preview 2 (Twitter)
Amazon Kindle Beta
Pandora
Mosaic Reader
TuneIn Radio
Angry Birds HD
Robotek HD
Everlands HD
EVAC HD
Spaceblip HD
Buka HD
Big Boss
Sparkle HD
Angry Birds Rio HD
Aftermath XHD
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit
Slice It! HD
Galcon Fusion
Quell HD
SuperNES
Radiant HD
Tap-Tap Rockets HD
Doodle Pool HD
Totemo HD
Serpent Of Isis HD
Asphalt 6
Weather Dashboard HD

Rc2ut.png

[quote name='cochesecochese']Thinking about selling mine. Maybe I'll give it a couple weeks to see if Android gets up and running properly on this thing.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't get my hopes up on having a fully functioning android os, and certainly not honeycomb, within the next couple weeks. It'll probably be at least a month before you have something somewhat usable that's easy to load. Getting android 4.x on it will probably be a better bet towards the end of the year.

I'd also get rid of the touchpad sooner than later because of the second run and that they're going for a relatively high resale value right now. You could probably dump it locally on craigslist for 100% profit even when it's used. Not that I'd support that kind of thing of course...heh.

[quote name='dohdough']I wouldn't get my hopes up on having a fully functioning android os, and certainly not honeycomb, within the next couple weeks. It'll probably be at least a month before you have something somewhat usable that's easy to load. Getting android 4.x on it will probably be a better bet towards the end of the year.

I'd also get rid of the touchpad sooner than later because of the second run and that they're going for a relatively high resale value right now. You could probably dump it locally on craigslist for 100% profit even when it's used. Not that I'd support that kind of thing of course...heh.[/QUOTE]

It's 3.0 and honeycomb they're waiting on an item. That's why the nookcolor isn't running true Honeycomb. Unless this changed between me looking (very possible), you will be waiting for 2.3.

I doubt it will happen that fast. Like people say... strike while the irons hot.

i still havnt got mine going yet. stupid captive portal network. maybe this week i will have time to go to a free wifi hotspot...

[quote name='cochesecochese']Bah, if I sell it I'll do so at a loss just to get rid of it.[/QUOTE]

Then sell it on CAG, let someone who didn't get one purchase it off your hands :) (I do have one, so not to me)

[quote name='admiralvic']It's 3.0 and honeycomb they're waiting on an item. That's why the nookcolor isn't running true Honeycomb. Unless this changed between me looking (very possible), you will be waiting for 2.3.

I doubt it will happen that fast. Like people say... strike while the irons hot.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what you mean. Google isn't releasing the sources for 3.0. I haven't done much research into the Nook hacking, but I'm guessing that they were able to load parts of 3.0, but not the 3.0 kernel? I agree that we'll most likely see 2.3 before 3.x or 4.x.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Bah, if I sell it I'll do so at a loss just to get rid of it.[/QUOTE]
Well, if you want to help out a local CAG, hit me up! :D

[quote name='dohdough']I'm not sure what you mean. Google isn't releasing the sources for 3.0. I haven't done much research into the Nook hacking, but I'm guessing that they were able to load parts of 3.0, but not the 3.0 kernel? I agree that we'll most likely see 2.3 before 3.x or 4.x.
[/QUOTE]

The source part is accurate, but it's not required for the beta. The beta was brought to the nook and other devices, but was a mess.

[quote name='admiralvic']The source part is accurate, but it's not required for the beta. The beta was brought to the nook and other devices, but was a mess.[/QUOTE]
That makes more sense. Thanks for clearing it up. :)

The touchpad price has made me start supporting hp. In fact...I went out yesterday and bought an HP Veer smartphone. I really like webos...and I hope it gets support for a long time...though I cant see it for more than 1-2 months tops...

Even as a hardcore android user till now, i have to say i really like webos and wish support would continue for the touchpad, although there is 0 chance of major new apps coming to it at this point. Oh well, the guys who made the touchscreen have sent drivers to the android devs porting android to the touchpad, so things are progressing well, they have rudimentary touch screen working already.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']The touchpad price has made me start supporting hp. In fact...I went out yesterday and bought an HP Veer smartphone. I really like webos...and I hope it gets support for a long time...though I cant see it for more than 1-2 months tops...[/QUOTE]If Samsung or another company licenses webos for their portables then webos will be fine. Just rumors at this point though.

[quote name='jdawgg76']If Samsung or another company licenses webos for their portables then webos will be fine. Just rumors at this point though.

According to SD posts, several HHGregg stores in the Atlanta area got touchpads in the morning. Most only got a handful in stock and apparently there was rampant allowing of employees to buy first before customers including a story of an employee buyng four.[/QUOTE]
not cool. :whistle2:s

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']man i want a pre 3. too bad theyre going for 600+ on ebay lol[/QUOTE]

Lol, right . I had the palm pre when it came out, and I found it to be lacking. I then sold it to my sister. Who knows how they improved though...

I have had a Sprint Pre since launch and I still think it is the best multi-tasking phone ever made. Also, the way WEbos merges calendars and contacts(within facebook, google accounts, and exchange accts) is near perfect.

I wish Sprint would get the Pre3. The Evo is way too big for me. Long Live WebOs, now if I could only find a damn Touchpad...

[quote name='hufferstl']I have had a Sprint Pre since launch and I still think it is the best multi-tasking phone ever made. Also, the way WEbos merges calendars and contacts(within facebook, google accounts, and exchange accts) is near perfect.

I wish Sprint would get the Pre3. The Evo is way too big for me. Long Live WebOs, now if I could only find a damn Touchpad...[/QUOTE]

Nice to see someone else that's been addicted to webOS since June '09.

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']Has anyone gotten a bluetooth keyboard for the TP yet?[/QUOTE]

I got the official HP one at OD for $30. It's nice and all, but I kind of regret the purchase. With auto spell correction and the super large onscreen keyboard, I'm doing just fine with touch typing (a la this post from my touchpad). The only SNAFU for me seems to be hitting v instead of the spacebar sometimes.

[quote name='Kerig']I got the official HP one at OD for $30. It's nice and all, but I kind of regret the purchase. With auto spell correction and the super large onscreen keyboard, I'm doing just fine with touch typing (a la this post from my touchpad). The only SNAFU for me seems to be hitting v instead of the spacebar sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the info.

Just a fyi, a keyboard does work with the snes emulator. Also, can anybody teach me how to video chat on skype on the touchpad? Can't seem to get it to work. Wife has a xoom and I have the TP, possible to video?

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Just a fyi, a keyboard does work with the snes emulator. Also, can anybody teach me how to video chat on skype on the touchpad? Can't seem to get it to work. Wife has a xoom and I have the TP, possible to video?[/QUOTE]

It just uses Skype. Go to the Settings > Accounts. Set up your skype there if you haven't. Then just load up the Phone/Video App. Go over to contacts, find your wife, call.

[quote name='Ronin317']Although, the creepy doll holding the touchpad was enough for me to stop watching the video. I don't want to know where on the doll he's touched it...[/QUOTE]

I just watched the vid only to see the doll you were referring to. Yeah, kinda creepy. lol But to each their own.

[quote name='mcdaking84']will you be able to have both your webos apps and android apps together?[/QUOTE]

no idea....but i have also heard they are trying to make the TP dual boot. so maybe not together?

ive been having problems with my TP. when i press on the internet browser icon, itll just respond and freeze up a bit. any suggestions on how to fix it? i OCed it and installed preware. maybe that couldve been the issue?

[quote name='mcdaking84']will you be able to have both your webos apps and android apps together?[/QUOTE]

Dual Boot means that when you start the device you will pick from either WebOS to start up or Android. You will not be able to run Android apps within Web OS or vise versa. Hope that clears your question up.

[quote name='DeathDream']Dual Boot means that when you start the device you will pick from either WebOS to start up or Android. You will not be able to run Android apps within Web OS or vise versa. Hope that clears your question up.[/QUOTE]

yep thanks. that's fine by me. Can use android for games and webos for productivity apps and the keyboard

bread's done
Back