The HP Touchpad Guide Thread (get help with webOS, preware, video converters, etc)

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']Got all the free apps except the camera one, but given the bad ratings I'm not bummed about it. Plus, the digicamera lite works great for taking photos because they come out so clear and it's so easy to use. Anyway, thanks very much to all those who tried to help me earlier. I had to use the tech support chat on the pad to get help and ended up having to run webOS doctor to get the latest system update because it was still stuck on version 3.0.0.

Also just got the advanced browser app. It works great and even faster with tabbed browsing, just lacking some key features I would have liked for it to have.[/QUOTE]

the picture actually come out clear? when looking at the screen it look so pix-elated.

so im not sure if i overclocked it but i had to enter something in the feeds and now my govnah setting are now:

under "ondemandtcl1512" it is 1.512 GHZ. and my max freq under "ondemandtcl" it says the max freq is 1.512 GHZ as well. please let me know if i did it right because i personally didnt manually install anything.

did i do everything correctly? my pdf is still kinda slow but loads a little faster

[quote name='Nagasami']the picture actually come out clear? when looking at the screen it look so pix-elated.[/QUOTE]

The pics came out pretty clear for me after taking a few. I think the rest is only because the photo's are huge until you resize them, then you won't see all of that up close.

[quote name='Nagasami']I have the touchstone but i notice its only charge like 2 or 3 sides of the touchpad...im i missing something here?[/QUOTE]
According to the little paper that came with the touchstone, it only charges in Portrait (home button at the bottom) and Landscape (Home Button on the right, speakers on the bottom). RTFM:whistle2:#

[quote name='david12795']so im not sure if i overclocked it but i had to enter something in the feeds and now my govnah setting are now:

under "ondemandtcl1512" it is 1.512 GHZ. and my max freq under "ondemandtcl" it says the max freq is 1.512 GHZ as well. please let me know if i did it right because i personally didnt manually install anything.

did i do everything correctly? my pdf is still kinda slow but loads a little faster[/QUOTE]

like I said in my previous post, you want to create your create your own profile instead of using ondemandtcl. When you select you profile, you want to hit "advanced settings". Then you want to select on-demand, NOT ondemandtcl under CPU freq -> governor. Then set you min freq to 384.

[quote name='fuchikoma']large PDF textbook solution:

http://www.pdfsam.org/

it's not the most user friendly, but it is free, and was able to parse bookmarks from my chemisty text and split it into chapters.[/QUOTE]

Nice. Another option is to convert the PDF to a .mobi file, then import it to the kindle app. Takes a lil work but it works.... sometimes...
I've found, PDFs with images don't work that well on the conversion process.

Crud. I can't get this to join my work's LEAP network. While Googling the subject, I came across an unanswered, two-year-old post of mine at Pre Central with the same problem with my Pre. FWIW, I can't get my EVO to connect while people with iPhones can. Lame.

Somehow, getting 5 of a screen protector doesn't instill much confidence. Especially when it's that cheap. I'm as much of a cheapass as anyone, but there are some things I'd rather not take a risk on to save a few bucks, and protecting my gadgets is one of them.

[quote name='shosh']like I said in my previous post, you want to create your create your own profile instead of using ondemandtcl. When you select you profile, you want to hit "advanced settings". Then you want to select on-demand, NOT ondemandtcl under CPU freq -> governor. Then set you min freq to 384.[/QUOTE]

wow i totally forgot to read this after installing govnah. just curious, why though? any difference between what im OCing now and that?

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Somehow, getting 5 of a screen protector doesn't instill much confidence. Especially when it's that cheap. I'm as much of a cheapass as anyone, but there are some things I'd rather not take a risk on to save a few bucks, and protecting my gadgets is one of them.[/QUOTE]

I've been getting those China ones for phones/ipod touch for a while. It's the same thing. If you can find a USA made 1 for $20, I guess that'll be more comfortable for you.

Just be sure it is Matte/Anti Glare, for the fingerprints, and Made In The USA, so you feel better about using it.

[quote name='david12795']wow i totally forgot to read this after installing govnah. just curious, why though? any difference between what im OCing now and that?[/QUOTE]
ondemand utilizes dual core

[quote name='Lemarfanz']so to those who have their TP. what's your fav game?[/QUOTE]

Sparkle HD is pretty damned solid, Big Boss is fun, Need for Speed is great, and of course...Angry Birds!

[quote name='shosh']ondemand utilizes dual core[/QUOTE]

hmm really? is there a demonstration? id like to see that. mine is already OC'd for sure now but i want to see what ondemand is like.

i tried googling it and every website and their mothers gives different settings for overclocking :booty:

[quote name='Lemarfanz']so to those who have their TP. what's your fav game?[/QUOTE]

I bought two games so far (missed out on the free download promotions)
and there are two good free games.

Paid
Slice It HD is great and only $1
Big Boss fun game for $1.49

Free
Robotek HD is fun and Free
Angry Birds HD but of course and free

Also in Preware there is a video player you can download for free called Touch Player that plays all video content. I just tested it with an AVI file and it worked great. The description says it may have trouble playing HD content but I havent tested that yet.

[quote name='flybrione']Also in Preware there is a video player you can download for free called Touch Player that plays all video content. I just tested it with an AVI file and it worked great. The description says it may have trouble playing HD content but I havent tested that yet.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if it does closed captioning/subtitles. Orb player doesn't stream unless I think it has the SRT file instead of embedded.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']I've been getting those China ones for phones/ipod touch for a while. It's the same thing. If you can find a USA made 1 for $20, I guess that'll be more comfortable for you.

Just be sure it is Matte/Anti Glare, for the fingerprints, and Made In The USA, so you feel better about using it.[/QUOTE]
It has little to do with where it's from and more to do with the level of quality of its manufacture. That is to say, I don't care if it's from China, I care if it's good, and there are different qualities of output from China as with anywhere else. Not all screen protectors are made equal. I've had an instance before of a cheap screen protector leaving all kinds of shit behind on the screen, so I've been petrified of a repeat of that happening again. Particularly on a device in which touching the screen is the method of input. I'd rather splurge than risk it. Once burned, twice shy and all that.

I just downloaded a crap ton of games for my touchpad. A few of them are actually pretty good. Good time wasters if you're out on the road.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']It has little to do with where it's from and more to do with the level of quality of its manufacture. That is to say, I don't care if it's from China, I care if it's good, and there are different qualities of output from China as with anywhere else. Not all screen protectors are made equal. I've had an instance before of a cheap screen protector leaving all kinds of shit behind on the screen, so I've been petrified of a repeat of that happening again. Particularly on a device in which touching the screen is the method of input. I'd rather splurge than risk it. Once burned, twice shy and all that.[/QUOTE]

Well, I can see why you'd want to go with a branded company, with you experiencing that. I, personally, am not willing to pay 10x as much for the same thing. Ultimately, you have to be comfortable with your device.

Has anyone found a decent, bejeweled-like match 3 game on the web OS store? I'm currently addicted to bejeweled since it was free for iOS last week, and would kill for a bigger screen version.

I know you can play the web version free on popcap's website, but it's slooooow on the touchpad. Anyone?

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']OMG! The differences, screenwise, between this iPod Touch and my HP Touchpad. Lmao! Such a wierd adjustment.[/QUOTE]
Are you talking just iconography/UI/UX, or quality of the screen?

Even the name branded screen protectors are most likely made in China lol. Just resold for profit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some games kinda hidden that are free and fun.

Atlantis Sky Patrol
Woodenigma
Glow Hockey (Free version)
Cosmic Nitro
Rednecks vs Aliens
Gangstar Free (A lot like GTA, but dialog sucks)

Also, there is a Portal 2 soundboard which is just plain awesome! I wish the Lemon speech was the full blow saying but it will do.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ronin317']

Are you talking just iconography/UI/UX, or quality of the screen?[/QUOTE]
Just the 'size' of the screen. Lmao, earlier, I tried to swipe a page off of my iPod Touch!
[quote name='DeathDream']Here are some games kinda hidden that are free and fun.
Atlantis Sky Patrol
Woodenigma
Glow Hockey (Free version)
Cosmic Nitro
Rednecks vs Aliens
Gangstar Free (A lot like GTA, but dialog sucks)
Also, there is a Portal 2 soundboard which is just plain awesome! I wish the Lemon speech was the full blow saying but it will do.[/QUOTE]

I like glow hockey and I've played the rednecks/aliens game, lol. They, also, have a free version of Assassin's Creed.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Do a search for 'Gameloft'. They make some of the BEST mobile games!!![/QUOTE]

I'll check that out.

I saw that Assassin Creed one but I haven't even beat the first one yet. And I own all three Assassin Creeds too!

Hey I want to know what is the best manga reader for touchpad? I know there is something call comic shelf hd but all my comic are in rar or zip file...

[quote name='Xellos2099']Hey I want to know what is the best manga reader for touchpad? I know there is something call comic shelf hd but all my comic are in rar or zip file...[/QUOTE]

unzip them? lol

one thing that is going to take some getting used to - the lack of sales in the app store. I'm downloading all kinds of shit this weekend with the apple and android stores, and nothing for the touchpad. I wish EA would run the sales in the TP store too...

[quote name='pun123']finally got my 16GB from Onsale a few days ago, and have been playing with this thing non stop, did all the performance enhancements with patches and it runs fast. I can't believe how many things this HPTP can do, absolutely love it. Still waiting to hear from HP SMB on my 2nd one been sitting idle for 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Did you overclock it? I'm on the fence about doing it b/c I've read some negative things about it. I've only turned logging off and it seems to run well.

[quote name='Sodapop Gatts']Did you overclock it? I'm on the fence about doing it b/c I've read some negative things about it. I've only turned logging off and it seems to run well.[/QUOTE]

If you overclock it to 1.5ghz you will do no harm to it except the battery will drain a little faster. The CPU in the thing is meant to be running at 1.5

[quote name='Xtrminatr']If you overclock it to 1.5ghz you will do no harm to it except the battery will drain a little faster. The CPU in the thing is meant to be running at 1.5[/QUOTE]

And void the warranty.

Was helping my family set up their Touchpad and it made some weird chirping/quacking noises. I did some quick diagnostics with the built-in app and it's the vibration motors. They're not vibrating correctly. Instead of rumbling the device, they just kind of rumble themselves and create that strange sound.

I'm not really sure what to do. I haven't installed Preware or overclocked it, but I have disabled logging. I'm hoping that hasn't disabled the warranty.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Was helping my family set up their Touchpad and it made some weird chirping/quacking noises. I did some quick diagnostics with the built-in app and it's the vibration motors. They're not vibrating correctly. Instead of rumbling the device, they just kind of rumble themselves and create that strange sound.

I'm not really sure what to do. I haven't installed Preware or overclocked it, but I have disabled logging. I'm hoping that hasn't disabled the warranty.[/QUOTE]
Your best option would probably be to send it in to HP so they can fix that issue (if not a local computer repair shop).

bread's done
Back