The Humble Botanicula Debut - 4/26 non-game bonuses added

louiedog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
A new Humble Bundle is now out. This one is games from Amanita Design, including Botanicula which has just been released today. As usual games are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux as DRM free downloads. Steam keys are only available for purchases over $5.

The games in the bundle are:
  • Botanicula
  • Machinarium
  • Samorost 2
  • Windosill*
  • Kooky* (a feature length animated film)

*Only for purchases above average.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

4/26 Bonus Update:
Amanita Design is upping the ante with oodles of bonus content: a Botanicula art book & map collection, a Kooky bonus pack featuring behind-the-scenes photographs & concept art film, the independent album Zorya from Machinarium soundtrack artist Floex (a.k.a. Tomáš Dvořák), and the independent album HU from Botanicula soundtrack artist DVA.

And finally, Amanita Design's experimental interactive music project Osada has been added to the main download list above.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Pajama_Man']
Avadon - no problem so far (although in the tip screen it said you can change orientation, didn't find that in settings)
[/QUOTE]

Seems to auto-orientate for landscape but not to/for portrait. (perhaps they just meant 'upside-down':?:)

Just finished the tutorial mission and not one force close yet.

Paid 6.50 cause i really wanted Swords and Soldiers HD (it looks mindblowing in stereoscopic 3d), and cause the video they used looked like a nice bundle of fun games for my android devices (Rezound/Touchpad). Thanks for the heads up OP. I hope they add something cool.

I can confirm Avadon runs on a Kindle Fire (non-rooted) but it does freeze for 5-10 seconds for me every turn in battle mode, a bit annoying.

The other 3 work fine for me (non-rooted Kindle Fire)

Got a response from the humble guys, they say to just sideload Avadon on the Kindle Fire. Then I figured out that in the app, even though it lists Avadon as being unsupported, if you click on it twice it'll still download and install. Game launched just fine for me, but didn't have the time to actually start a new game and see if it completely works. Seems like the solution is just to ignore their warning, really.

I was finally able to side-load it onto my fire (Avadon), but yeah...it plays like crap. Mine's rooted with no notable improvements (rooted it for the Android Market), most everything else is stock. Freezes up before battles with insane load times.
Might just be because Kindle Fire's processing power is kind of junk, but eh. The rest of the games seem to run well, including the ones from last bundle, so I'll survive.

Avadon and the rest work fine on the Rezound. However, Zen Bound 2 comes up with weird lines on the screen and doesnt work, tried closing, and re-opening and also rebooting. All the others run excellent. I thought avadon was poop and nuked it already. Loved the rest.

Hm, trying to figure something out with Avadon. I'm new to android in general so maybe someone can figure this out. How can I transfer my save file from my device to my PC? Digging around my tablet with a file explorer I can't really figure out where the files would be.

This is assuming the save files are even compatible, but I see no reason to believe otherwise - it works for the iPad version after all.

FYI, here are the download sizes for each of the games:

Canabalt: 12.3MB
Cogs: 56.6MB
Swords & Soldiers: 144.1MB
Zen Bound 2: 162.5MB
Avadon: 114.9MB

FYI #2: If you bought the first Android bundle you can link this bundle to the Android HB app. Simply tap "Add another bundle" on the HB app main screen and note the authentication code. Go to your HB purchase page in your browser, click on "Try the Humble Bundle Android App (beta)" and then enter the authentication code. Now all you have to do is tap on Download Games in the Android app and you'll see your games added to it. :D

Anyone able to get the Humble Bundle app itself working on a non-rooted Kindle Fire? Trying to download it but can't find a link that works.

[quote name='nitzerebb6']Anyone able to get the Humble Bundle app itself working on a non-rooted Kindle Fire? Trying to download it but can't find a link that works.[/QUOTE]

The humble bundle url that they emailed you when you made the purchase should have a link on it for the HB app. I says "Humble Bundle App (Beta)" and should be the link just above the link for the game apks. I just tested it on my phone now and it did download for me.

By the way, one of the HB guys just sent me a message to say that the Humble app's detection of the Kindle Fire should be fixed it and it should now properly detect it as a tablet.

Love that Humble Bundle. Here's my experience with the games on a Transformer Prime.

Swords & Soldiers - Very clever take on the RTS genre. Artwork is colorful and the movement is smooth. Loses some sharpness due to being blown up on the tablet. Did not work initially but did so after a restart.

Canabalt - I always dislike playing 2D sidescrollers on mobile devices and LCD/LED screens because I find that the response times of the display cause the game to become a big blurry mess. Luckily I can do HDMI out to a CRT TV and just tap away at the tablet's screen. Very fun game in the "runner" genre and easily has the best art style but it's a one-trick pony.

Zen Bound 2 - Best game in the bunch. I never realized that tying knots around a statue of a bird could be so fun. Looks great on the tablet and runs very smoothly.

Cogs - Already had this on PC, and is still a very intriguing puzzle game.

Avadon - Doesn't work.

Like the last bundle, I hope they add a game or two to the mix.

Snuggle Truck for Mac, Windows, Linux, and Android is now included. It should show automatically on Steam. If not just wait awhile or relaunch the client.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Snuggle Truck is the formally racist Mexican smuggling game correct?[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that it's the game that used to be about smuggling people across the Mexican border but I haven't read anything specific about the game's previous incarnation so I can't comment on whether or not it was racist.

When I checked the humble app on my tablet there are two new game entry's. Snuggle truck and Smuggle truck. One has you carrying stuffed animals in a truck and the other has you carrying people.

[quote name='Terlan']When I checked the humble app on my tablet there are two new game entry's. Snuggle truck and Smuggle truck. One has you carrying stuffed animals in a truck and the other has you carrying people.[/QUOTE]

Well, supposedly Smuggle Truck was rejected by the app store because it might be offensive. That suggests they had a finished game. Without anyone to answer to I suppose they put it up here.

I just realized that both versions are there in the app. (I auto-glazed over it thinking that one was the mobile version and the other the tablet version)

While I never have seen Smuggle Truck in play, I'd have to reserve judgment until then to say whether or not it could be "racist." Ignorant? Possibly, but let's face it, people are smuggled across borders all over the world all the time, so the concept itself isn't racist. Now if within the game they are perpetrating stereotypes, that's another thing.

Edit:

just saw gameplay videos for both version, don't see anything racist in either..

After now having played it for a bit; it's completely innocuous.

It sounds like Apple being Apple and not wanting to possibly maybe offend people meanwhile tons of disgusting clones/scams make it right on through the approval process.

I'm kinda more disappointed that the developer decided to compromise their vision, even if it's a dumb one, in order to make app store money rather than telling Apple to shove it. *shrug*

Before this sort of talk gets out of hand you can read the developers own words here: http://smuggletruck.com/ (background is down towards the bottom of the page under story)

Basically though in a nutshell the he made the game after a friend of his recounted all the difficulties he had to go through to get into the US. It was intended to raise awareness through satire, though I can see how big stores like iTunes and Steam might want to shy away from such a topic that could potentially be construed as offensive.

There's even a quote from George Lopez on the main smuggletruck.com saying "Why didn't I think of that?". :p

I played the original Smuggle version at PAX last year, it was finished and just waiting for approval which it didnt get from Apple. the devs were really cool and down to earth guys. Its really fun

For potential buyers: Snuggle Truck has 360 controller support but only during gameplay as you have to use your mouse to manipulate the menus.

Humble Bundle delivers again. Though I wonder if the buyers will raise hell once Humble Bundle offers a bundle doesn't add a game after the fact.

I doubt they would do that, seems like a nice theme they have going. So far i am enjoying the humble bundle but a lot of the games are real literal pc ports and not optimized for widescreen, which is what 99% of android devices are. Ontop of that, the zen game still has not updated and does not work at all on my rezound.

[quote name='Spokker']Humble Bundle delivers again. Though I wonder if the buyers will raise hell once Humble Bundle offers a bundle doesn't add a game after the fact.[/QUOTE]

I think we'll see the apocalypse arrive before that happens.

I bought the bundle on day one, but I'm thinking about picking up a second copy. Do I need to beat the average at this point to get Snuggle Truck?

[quote name='The End']I bought the bundle on day one, but I'm thinking about picking up a second copy. Do I need to beat the average at this point to get Snuggle Truck?[/QUOTE]

The game is part of the regular Steam bundle key so I imagine the direct download and Android copies are also available for any purchase amount.

[quote name='louiedog']The game is part of the regular Steam bundle key so I imagine the direct download and Android copies are also available for any purchase amount.[/QUOTE]

This is the truth. Snuggle truck has been getting the most play out of me since the bundle came out. It's great.

im running CM9 alpha 2 on my hp touchpad, but the market doesn't show snuggle truck. anybody else have this problem? and is there a work around? thanks

We're in the final 24 hours. I know there are always some people who come in right after the end saying they missed it, so here's a reminder.

The Humble Botanicula Debut
just went live.

Botanicula
Samorost 2
Machinarium.

Beat the average and get:
full-length feature film Kooky
and Vectorpark's puzzle-art game Windosill!

Average is currently $7.41

[quote name='deadpool253']Going to pass. Already have samorost 2 and machinarium. Plus it says you will only get steam keys if you pay more than 5 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm going to hold off on this. Maybe if they add something else later.

[quote name='zubalove']The Humble Botanicula Debut
just went live.

Botanicula
Samorost 2
Machinarium.

Beat the average and get:
full-length feature film Kooky
and Vectorpark's puzzle-art game Windosill!

Average is currently $7.41[/QUOTE]

It says Steam keys only at $5 or up now. Is that new? Also average just jumped to $8.71. I don't want Windowsill that bad. :p

*edit: Others beat me to it. Man these bundles have been creeping up in price lately. Still a deal just not nearly as good of one.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']WTF? No steam keys? What?!?![/QUOTE]

There are Steam keys but you have to pay $5 or more to get them.

I'm curious to see how well this one sells given that new stipulation. I'm also betting a fair bit of people will just buy without reading the fine print first.

Ouch, $5 minimum for Steam keys, and nearly $9 to beat the average? Might be the first bundle I pass on, not interested enough in the games.. especially since two of them are repeats.

I'm with most of you, already own machinarium and dont feel like spending $5 to get steam keys unless something better is included. Not really interested in the short film. Actually a little disappointed with this set of offerings.

[quote name='Motoki']There are Steam keys but you have to pay $5 or more to get them.

I'm curious to see how well this one sells given that new stipulation. I'm also betting a fair bit of people will just buy without reading the fine print first.[/QUOTE]

lol I almost did myself. Good thing I checked CAG to see what people think of Botanica before buying.

Like many others, I'm gonna have to pass. I own everything but Botanica and I'm not willing to pay $5 for that. Looks like the days of instant purchases for Humble bundle are over. Oh I'll still pick some future bundles up, but at a $5 minimum for Steam keys, I'm gonna have to be a little bit more discriminating.

[quote name='deadpool253']Going to pass. Already have samorost 2 and machinarium. Plus it says you will only get steam keys if you pay more than 5 bucks.[/QUOTE]

It makes me sad that this will probably be the first bundle I skip. I already have Machinarium and Samorost 2 and thus I don't have any urgency to purchase the other two games for nearly $9 or just Botanicula for $5 and hope it eventually gets a steam key. I'm a little tempted to pay under $5 and just get Botanicula without steam key but I will want a steam key if anything is added later and thus don't want to buy now. It seems like this one took a step backwards in design and quality.

[quote name='kvadair']It makes me sad that this will probably be the first bundle I skip. I already have Machinarium and Samorost 2 and thus I don't have any urgency to purchase the other two games for nearly $9 or just Botanicula for $5 and hope it eventually gets a steam key. I'm a little tempted to pay under $5 and just get Botanicula without steam key but I will want a steam key if anything is added later and thus don't want to buy now. It seems like this one took a step backwards in design and quality.[/QUOTE]

You could always buy it now for under $5 and increase your contribution at a later point in time to get the Stream key.

I'm a bit unsure of what to do - I do want Botanicula, but there are quite a few repeats. (I, like many CAG's, already have Samorost 2 and Machinarium, courtesy of Humble Bundle.)

Shoite, I'm kind of torn.

bread's done
Back