The Humble Botanicula Debut - 4/26 non-game bonuses added

louiedog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
A new Humble Bundle is now out. This one is games from Amanita Design, including Botanicula which has just been released today. As usual games are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux as DRM free downloads. Steam keys are only available for purchases over $5.

The games in the bundle are:
  • Botanicula
  • Machinarium
  • Samorost 2
  • Windosill*
  • Kooky* (a feature length animated film)

*Only for purchases above average.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

4/26 Bonus Update:
Amanita Design is upping the ante with oodles of bonus content: a Botanicula art book & map collection, a Kooky bonus pack featuring behind-the-scenes photographs & concept art film, the independent album Zorya from Machinarium soundtrack artist Floex (a.k.a. Tomáš Dvořák), and the independent album HU from Botanicula soundtrack artist DVA.

And finally, Amanita Design's experimental interactive music project Osada has been added to the main download list above.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I want is Botanicula, which I guess is getting added to Steam soon. Considering it would cost me $5 for the Steam key, I could easily wait until the Summer Sale, when it will be $5 or lower, consider the game retails for $9.99.

I love the samrost games, but I may have to pass on this, usually i do 5 dollars on these or a little more, but the average is way too high for me on this one right now

Plus should this go in the humble bundle android thread? I got happy for a minute there that it was a new android bundle which I love.

That will make things easier and avoid confusion. I myself like a new thread, since ones like the Indie Royale topic still have comments from their very first bundle, but that's just nitpicking.

I'm just excited to see a new bundle, even if it does have a few repeats.

These indie bundles have made you guys seriously jaded. Proclaiming things like "ouch" in reference to Steam keys at $5..it's $5. That's "ouch"? There's still 4 games and a film for under $9 in this from a really creative studio. I love Machinarium, I'd like to support their work. Plus you can save the rainforests!

Wow, pretty weak bundle. I have Windosill, Machinarium, and Samarost 2 from previous bundles. Oh well. I guess technically it's not a real bundle since it's one of those publisher specific ones, but these price jacks are going to make these bundles harder and harder to support.

This might be the worst humble bundle yet.
I already had 2 of the games, so that leaves either 1 game for $5 or 2 for $8.

I'll wait for the average to fall and see what other bonus gets thrown in.

I'm really debating paying above the average just to get the film. Ever since I heard about this film I've been really interested in seeing it. I'll give it some time and think about it.

As nice as it is to get a launch game in a bundle, it was kind of a dick move for Amanita to offer it for pre-order. GOG seems to be working on getting something special for those people, but it still sucks. Imagine your pre-order unlocking and finding it for roughly half the price an hour later.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']That will make things easier and avoid confusion. I myself like a new thread, since ones like the Indie Royale topic still have comments from their very first bundle, but that's just nitpicking.

I'm just excited to see a new bundle, even if it does have a few repeats.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't near a computer when this went live. Usually I see the announcement on twitter and create a new thread if someone didn't already. This one had quite a bit of comments already when I got to CAG and it's looking to be less popular than the others, so it'll work this time.

Indie Royale is much more regular, and even promised new bundles every two weeks like clockwork at one point, so that's why I've done one updated thread for it.

I'm going to get this...even though I already own Machinarium and Samarost(and haven't played them)...but the only decision I'm trying to make is whether or not to pay above the average to get the film...because the film looks cool.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']These indie bundles have made you guys seriously jaded. Proclaiming things like "ouch" in reference to Steam keys at $5..it's $5. That's "ouch"? There's still 4 games and a film for under $9 in this from a really creative studio. I love Machinarium, I'd like to support their work. Plus you can save the rainforests![/QUOTE]

I said "ouch" because I obtained 2 of the games in this bundle from other bundles. $5 is too much for 2 games that register on steam, in my case, and I have absolutely no interest in the movie. Not only that, but the beat the average game is only $3 on Steam. Both Botanicula and Windosil will probably be steam daily deals for 66%-75% off down the line so to me this is one of their worst bundles.

I suppose if you have none of the games that this bundle offers, it MIGHT be a decent deal, however most of the people following indie bundles probably already have at least one game from this. Better off paying $1 for the DRM-free versions of the games (or 1 cent if you're really cheap), and buying Windosil later when it's 75% off if you're interested in it. So yes, $5 just to get Steam keys is too high IMO, but I'm a cheapass so what can you expect? lol

I could totally understand why they raised the minimum to get Steam keys to $1 in the past couple bundles, but $5 is overkill just to get a Steam key, and I'm guessing that minimum will probably only be in effect for this bundle and not future ones.

[quote name='louiedog']I wasn't near a computer when this went live. Usually I see the announcement on twitter and create a new thread if someone didn't already. This one had quite a bit of comments already when I got to CAG and it's looking to be less popular than the others, so it'll work this time.

Indie Royale is much more regular, and even promised new bundles every two weeks like clockwork at one point, so that's why I've done one updated thread for it.[/QUOTE]
Don't you worry; I wasn't insulting either of your threads. If anything, I applaud your quick updating of the topic title.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']These indie bundles have made you guys seriously jaded. Proclaiming things like "ouch" in reference to Steam keys at $5..it's $5. That's "ouch"? There's still 4 games and a film for under $9 in this from a really creative studio. I love Machinarium, I'd like to support their work. Plus you can save the rainforests![/QUOTE]
I wouldn't be too harsh on our fellow cheapskates. I reckon most of the CAG's here are caught between "Donating and getting two or more repeat games" and "Supporting Charity and the Humble Bundle folks." With that said, it is a shame that the Steam Keys are more expensive and one of the "beat the average" titles isn't even a game. Let's save our criticisms for those that bash Amanita Design or the Humble Bundle staff.

I think we've all come to expect more from Humble Bundle. When other bundles give you 5 or more games for a minimum of $4, it is going to sound like a rip off to only get 3 for 5. I think it might be a result of too many people giving a penny for previous bundles and the cost of steam keys, but it is still a bit off putting. The beat the average is high too.

As for the threads, I think a new thread for each bundle would be best, but knowing folks around here, they might complain since its not console so maybe another megathread would be best.

[quote name='utopianmachine']All I want is Botanicula, which I guess is getting added to Steam soon. Considering it would cost me $5 for the Steam key, I could easily wait until the Summer Sale, when it will be $5 or lower, consider the game retails for $9.99.[/QUOTE]

That's kind of where I'm at at too. If Botanicula is $10 retail on Steam then I agree with you it will likely be $5 or less on the Steam summer sale.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']That will make things easier and avoid confusion. I myself like a new thread, since ones like the Indie Royale topic still have comments from their very first bundle, but that's just nitpicking.

I'm just excited to see a new bundle, even if it does have a few repeats.[/QUOTE]

My fault. I thought the preference was to maintain the same thread. In the future I'll go new.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Never bought a bundle before. Might have to try it out and pay the 5. What's been the "best" bundle so far?[/QUOTE]
I would say the best bundle is the one that contained Super Meat Boy, Cave Story +, Jamestown, VVVVVV, and Shank.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Never bought a bundle before. Might have to try it out and pay the 5. What's been the "best" bundle so far?[/QUOTE]

Out of all of the Humble Bundles? I'd say it was Humble Bundle 4.

[quote name='zubalove']My fault. I thought the preference was to maintain the same thread. In the future I'll go new.[/QUOTE]
You had better appease me. You know who CheapyD answers to? That's right, the guy with the Bubble Bobble avatar.

[quote name='pizzaflavoredpudding']I would say the best bundle is the one that contained Super Meat Boy, Cave Story +, Jamestown, VVVVVV, and Shank.[/QUOTE]

Co-sign.

[quote name='M_F_A_H']Pass.

I've purchased every HIB since #2 so my streak is broken.[/QUOTE]

Same here finally.
All since 1 but this is my first pass.

Wow, for the first time ever I'm really disappointed in the Humble Bundle.

Botanicula looks really cool from the YouTube video they attached on the site.

But now Humble Bundle is demanding a minimum $5 donation for Steam keys? I understood the $1 to try and curb off the re-sellers paying a penny or whatever. But this is not really "pay what you want" any longer. Its now a distinctly tiered system like all of the other indie bundle sites.

Furthermore, Windosill looks somewhat interesting but I'm definitely not paying $8+ (the average at the moment) for that and a film.

What really has me disappointed the most is the inclusion of Machinarium and Samorost 2. Samorost 2 has been available at twice now and Machinarium at least once.

Unless the average comes down significantly, which I doubt it will with the $5 minimum requirement for Steam, I'll probably be passing on a Humble Bundle for the first time.

[quote name='kodave']Wow, for the first time ever I'm really disappointed in the Humble Bundle.

Botanicula looks really cool from the YouTube video they attached on the site.

But now Humble Bundle is demanding a minimum $5 donation for Steam keys? I understood the $1 to try and curb off the re-sellers paying a penny or whatever. But this is not really "pay what you want" any longer. Its now a distinctly tiered system like all of the other indie bundle sites.

Furthermore, Windosill looks somewhat interesting but I'm definitely not paying $8+ (the average at the moment) for that and a film.

What really has me disappointed the most is the inclusion of Machinarium and Samorost 2. Samorost 2 has been available at twice now and Machinarium at least once.

Unless the average comes down significantly, which I doubt it will with the $5 minimum requirement for Steam, I'll probably be passing on a Humble Bundle for the first time.[/QUOTE]

For anyone curious, the minimum price for Steam keys will most likely go back to $1 for future bundles. The reason it's $5 for this one is that Botanicula is a NEW game that was just released and is priced at $10, they didn't want to undermine that so they increased the minimum payment requirement for Steam keys. Someone mailed them earlier asking why the Steam key price was increased and this was their response:

http://i.imgur.com/atqWZ.png

After thinking about it I'm going to bite. I'll pay 5 bucks and hope something is added later....if not its all going to charity anyway. That's one thing I do like about the hib's. I don't feel like I'm throwing my money away. I can make sure it all goes to charity.

I entertained the notion of putting money in and hoping something will be added later but I've done that with the past two or three bundles and have ended up disappointed. If they do, in fact, add something I'm interested in later I'll throw the $10 or whatever at them.

As I mentioned in the Steam thread I remember when the Humble guys said they had developers beating down their door to get games in their bundle and yet all we've seen the last five or six or so have been a lot of the same games/developers rehashed. I mean, it's almost as if they're the official publisher of Amanita Design at this point. You can still do charity and offer up a more diverse selection of games. It's getting pretty silly.

Anyone know how good the movie actually is? If the movie is really good, I might grab the bundle for me and the gf to watch sometime. If not, then I am gonna pass.

[quote name='sunghost']For anyone curious, the minimum price for Steam keys will most likely go back to $1 for future bundles. The reason it's $5 for this one is that Botanicula is a NEW game that was just released and is priced at $10, they didn't want to undermine that so they increased the minimum payment requirement for Steam keys. Someone mailed them earlier asking why the Steam key price was increased and this was their response:

http://i.imgur.com/atqWZ.png[/QUOTE]

Well they are undermining other outlets for it though like GOG and potentially the developer themselves if they too had it for sale. Or does humble pretty much consider those sales insignificant compared to Steam?

*Edited to add: Just checked the GOG forums. They found out about this the same way everyone else did, when the bundle went live. They had zero notice about it. This game was supposed to be part of their big push into new games too and they really went out of their way to promote it. It was on their front page for some time and it seemed like (they believed) it would be an exclusive release there at least for a period of time.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Its interesting what you said about GoG because if I'm looking at it correctly they are also the top contributor on this bundle too.[/QUOTE]

Apparently, they donated $300 as a gesture of goodwill.

There's a long thread about it there:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/release_botanicula/post8

They sounded really caught off guard at first and I know some of the fans over there who bought them game and/or support GOG were unhappy to put it midly. It was nice of them donate to it though.

The humble version had some extras that they didn't give GOG either but apparently Amanita has now said they are adding them (and probably Machanarium too) for people who already purchased it there.

Still, they paid $10 vs potentially a penny...

If the game is worth $10 when it was purchased, then there is no problem. If the developer made a good game, then the $10 will go toward making the next game they make better.

When one purchases something, anything, there is a chance the price may go down.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Anyone know how good the movie actually is? If the movie is really good, I might grab the bundle for me and the gf to watch sometime. If not, then I am gonna pass.[/QUOTE]

Can't comment on it yet, but it has a 7.2 on IMDB.

Even if it's negative, I'm glad to see the reaction here is tame. Nothing like SPUF. ._.

[quote name='Spokker']If the game is worth $10 when it was purchased, then there is no problem. If the developer made a good game, then the $10 will go toward making the next game they make better.

When one purchases something, anything, there is a chance the price may go down.[/QUOTE]

On the day of release? Come on...

[quote name='Mooby']On the day of release? Come on...[/QUOTE]

Exactly, this is just bad marketing 101 right here. You are only going to make the preorders for your next game be NON EXISTENT by screwing over the people who pre-ordered.

In fact, why not have run this "bundle" as just some sort of new pre-order bonus? Set up a minimum price (say five bucks) to get the game and the two free games - and anything you donate above 5 bucks you can designate to charity or split it any way you want and if you pay full price for the game you get the bonus game and the movie. Boom. Just like that you would be commended for a great pre-order move and innovative thing. Instead, you just pissed off your loyal fans and screwed over one of your distributors.

Add Lone Survivor as long as we are doing new games. Then I would buy right now. OST TOO! Sole Survivor's soundtrack is quite no really good.

I want it, but man, it is so showing up in an indie bundle later and possibly steam.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Add Sole Survivor as long as we are doing new games. Then I would buy right now. OST TOO! Sole Survivor's soundtrack is quite no really good.

I want it, but man, it is so showing up in an indie bundle later and possibly steam.[/QUOTE]

Sol Survivor? That's in the Be Mine Bundle right now.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']On a related/an unrelated note, I checked up on Splot just for the halibut, but there's still no news. I imagine Frozenbyte has moved on.[/QUOTE]

Hey, we're still waiting on Cortex Command that was in the very first Humble Bundle! That was like... two+ years ago now. :lol:

I'm a bit on the fence about this one but not by much. I'll probably pick this up tonight for well over the average because I was going to pay the same amount on GOG foot Botanicula anyway. I already own the other games, so I guess I'll just lean more toward charity this time around.

Ending up picking this up above the average. I was after Machinarium for awhile and the others I didn't have so why not.

Not gonna use this key for Windosill: J9WJ5-BQAEH-C0MM2

[quote name='NeoGutsman']so I guess I'll just lean more toward charity this time around.[/QUOTE]

I almost give nearly everything to charity on every one of these bundles. Sometimes I throw a little to the HB people for hosting this all. I don't think I've ever given anything to the developers. I feel like with the developers, this isn't about making money for them. They're getting their game (and name) out there to tons of people who would probably never normally buy it (or even bother to illegally pirate it) and they're getting a little something in return. It's almost more like a form of advertising than it is a form of retail to the consumer.

[quote name='Hop25']Ending up picking this up above the average. I was after Machinarium for awhile and the others I didn't have so why not.

Not gonna use this key for Windosill: J9WJ5-BQAEH-C0MM2
[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks! I guess your spoiler was pretty sneaky lol, redeemed it 4 mins after your post.

[quote name='sunghost']Awesome, thanks! I guess your spoiler was pretty sneaky lol, redeemed it 4 mins after your post.[/QUOTE]

Bastard! I was going to redeem it but it took me about 4 min to even log into my Steam account for some reason!

[quote name='kodave']Bastard! I was going to redeem it but it took me about 4 min to even log into my Steam account for some reason![/QUOTE]

LOL yeah, luckily I was logged in before he posted it.

Already own Machinarium from the other bundle, didn't like Samarost so not at all interested in 2. $5 is too much to pay for steam keys for games I already have/probably won't like, and the beat the average for the other two are definitely too high.

The Humble Bundles have been amazing until now... I am very disappointed. Call me bitter or whatever, but on the offchance I eventually play Botanicula and like it (and to help lower the average for those who want Windosill and Kooky), I went a head and got one at a whole 3 cents.

bread's done
Back