The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

[quote name='punkmaggit']Guys, I need an answer quick:

Neon Genesis Evangelion (N64) complete with the box and everything.

I've got an offer to buy that, Paper Mario, and a purple N64 for $35. I'm thinking of biting.[/QUOTE]

I'd definitely bite!

I dropped $100 for a boxed copy of Eva back in the day so $35 for a copy WITH Paper Mario AND an N64 is a crazy good deal.

Evangelion 64 is still the best Eva game ever made IMO.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Sealed Eternal Darkness? There is a bunch at my Walmart marked 49.99 but I'm guessing they're a lot cheaper than that.[/quote]
That's about what they go for $50. I found some at a Walmart and had them scan it...still $49.99.

[quote name='Staver']Would anyone know the going rate of the Super Bomberman Party Pak for Super Nintendo? I have the original box (in great condition), the original manual, the super multitap, and the game. I could not find the complete collection on ebay or anywhere else.[/quote]

Bump :(

i have a promo copy of Dreamcast Marvel vs. Capcom 2. i know its rare. Its the pre-release version. No case, but perfect working order. I got it for a steal also!

[quote name='Segasonic01']For the Xbox, I have sold 2 complete copies in the last month for $32 each. The PS2 version goes as high as $50. This is also one of the few games I have never seen at a pawn shop (both systems).[/quote]

I bought Operation Genesis at a pawn shop in Florida last summer for $10 cause it was an older title.

What's the deal with that Monopoly DS game?
Did it have a small print run?
I got it at GS a few months ago sorta cheap.
I don't remember what I paid but it was cheaper than it goes for on ebay.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']I bought Operation Genesis at a pawn shop in Florida last summer for $10 cause it was an older title.

What's the deal with that Monopoly DS game?
Did it have a small print run?
I got it at GS a few months ago sorta cheap.
I don't remember what I paid but it was cheaper than it goes for on ebay.[/quote]
It did have a very limited print run. I'm not sure why tho. I bought a cart-only copy at GS for $27 because I love monopoly & you can find a case & manual for $3 easily on Ebay

[quote name='Segasonic01']It did have a very limited print run. I'm not sure why tho. I bought a cart-only copy at GS for $27 because I love monopoly & you can find a case & manual for $3 easily on Ebay[/quote]
is it the one with boggle/yatzee/battleship? if so, its a front lane game. it really depends on the manufacturer/publisher if they dont get enough orders from distributors, they might have limited its production. it might come back for the this year's holiday season. i remember seeing it just about everywhere for black friday last year and for the same price of $14.99.

[quote name='phear3d']is it the one with boggle/yatzee/battleship? if so, its a front lane game. it really depends on the manufacturer/publisher if they dont get enough orders from distributors, they might have limited its production. it might come back for the this year's holiday season. i remember seeing it just about everywhere for black friday last year and for the same price of $14.99.[/QUOTE]

Hm... something's not right here. The game you're talking about sounds like the Monopoly 4-pack but that game's been rare for ages now. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the other 4-in-one game pack? I know there's another one that's basically worth nothing.

[quote name='Vinny']Any of you guys have an idea on what to expect for sealed first print copies of games which were reprinted after the white label was no longer used?

I have sealed copies of Fatal Frame II, Disgaea, and Nocturne all with the white security strip but can't figure out if they're worth more than the sealed reprinted versions.[/quote]

I've seen many copies of Disgaea, with the white seal on eBay, and most of them sell for around the same price as the reprints. Now, the reprints of Ar tonelico, Digital Devil Saga, and Nocturne are missing the bonuses. So the originals still command a higher price.

I would say the ones that have the strip would sell for about the same as the reprint, unless the original had bonuses that were not included in the reissue.

Here's an auction with a sealed original Disgaea & Phantom Brave which sold for $51.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Disgaea-Hour-of-Darkness-Phantom-Brave-Factory-Sealed_W0QQitemZ320276532147

[quote name='RSGames']I've seen many copies of Disgaea, with the white seal on eBay, and most of them sell for around the same price as the reprints. Now, the reprints of Ar tonelico, Digital Devil Saga, and Nocturne are missing the bonuses. So the originals still command a higher price.

I would say the ones that have the strip would sell for about the same as the reprint, unless the original had bonuses that were not included in the reissue.

Here's an auction with a sealed original Disgaea & Phantom Brave which sold for $51.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Disgaea-Hour-of-Darkness-Phantom-Brave-Factory-Sealed_W0QQitemZ320276532147[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seems to be the trend. I saw a few Nocturnes with the soundtracks go for just a hair over the sealed reprints. I saw a few sealed, DDS Deluxe go close to $200.. I'm slapping myself because my boxset is open yet the game is sealed (original, white label). Those copies don't really get much more than complete DDS Deluxe sets.

Is sealed Xenosaga episode III and Soul Nomad rare at all?

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, it seems to be the trend. I saw a few Nocturnes with the soundtracks go for just a hair over the sealed reprints. I saw a few sealed, DDS Deluxe go close to $200.. I'm slapping myself because my boxset is open yet the game is sealed (original, white label). Those copies don't really get much more than complete DDS Deluxe sets.[/QUOTE]

You are slapping yourself? I think I sold one copy of Deluxe for less than $20 and trade one for something. Sold one sealed Nocturne for 20 some and another opened for lower. Though all these benefited the fellow CAGers.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tiggerkiddo']Xenosaga 3? Not rare at all. Sells for about 20 or so.
Soul Nomad...maybe 30-40...depends.[/QUOTE]

wrong, Xenosaga 3 sealed goes for $40ish

[quote name='Phorty Ounce']Super Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Secret of Mana
Ogre Battles 64 (for nin 64)

Are these rare and/or command a high price?[/quote]

I'm assuming that you're talking about used.

Super Mario RPG ~ $45
Chrono Trigger ~ $50 to $80 depending on condition (may drop after the DS port comes out)
Chrono Cross ~ not much (sealed copies are still easy to find for less than $20)
Secret of Mana ~ $40

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm assuming that you're talking about used.

Super Mario RPG ~ $45
Chrono Trigger ~ $50 to $80 depending on condition (may drop after the DS port comes out)
Chrono Cross ~ not much (sealed copies are still easy to find for less than $20)
Secret of Mana ~ $40[/quote]

Correct, and I assume the prices are for cart-only copies?

[quote name='Phorty Ounce']Correct, and I assume the prices are for cart-only copies?[/quote]Actually I was thinking with manuals and/or boxes... For cart only maybe you'd get a few bucks less.

[quote name='darkslime']Bible Adventures for the NES?
Its the blue colored cart, I think its a fake nes game.[/quote]

The following is from Wikipedia and the article on there DOES show a blue colored cart. It's a 3 on Digitpress' rarity guide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Adventures

From Wikipedia:

Bible Adventures is an unlicensed Christian video game by Wisdom Tree, first released in 1991 for the NES, and later re-released in 1995 for the Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis. It contains three different games: Noah's Ark, Baby Moses, and David and Goliath, all of which are based rather loosely on stories from the Hebrew Bible. The gameplay of these games is sidescroller style similar to that of Super Mario Bros. 2.

Oh and before I forget to ask again. It's not really a 'game' perse, but what about the Action Replay disc for the PS1?

I picked it up about 3 years ago from a closing KB Toys in my area.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Oh and before I forget to ask again. It's not really a 'game' perse, but what about the Action Replay disc for the PS1?

I picked it up about 3 years ago from a closing KB Toys in my area.[/quote]
i didnt think they'd have any value at all until today. if your AR is the one with 14000 codes, then it could be worth around $20-$30.

Dungeons and Dragons Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara 2-disc set, Sega Saturn, import.

Guardian Heroes, Sega Saturn.

Bust A Groove 2 plus soundtrack, PS1, import.

Tobal No. 2, PS1, import.

Last Blade, PS1, import.

[quote name='phear3d']i didnt think they'd have any value at all until today. if your AR is the one with 14000 codes, then it could be worth around $20-$30.[/QUOTE]

Those things have value? Damn, I only have 2 of those ones with the built in codes (one GameShark, one Action replay). I have the GC AR too, I know that's worth some money... almost sold it for $15, glad I checked before I did.

may i humbly remind folks to poke around the internet for more than 3 seconds, before coming here to ask if something is rare?

further, it seems most people don't care about the rarity, and are only interested in hearing about the monetary value of a game. again, you could find more than you ever wanted to know by simply searching out the usual used game outlets first. i suspect a lot of folks are using this thread more as a "bragging rights" arena than anything else.

lastly, use the "Search this Thread" function before posting, as odds are that the title you're asking about has been discussed ad nauseam already.

[quote name='allyourblood']may i humbly remind folks to poke around the internet for more than 3 seconds, before coming here to ask if something is rare?

further, it seems most people don't care about the rarity, and are only interested in hearing about the monetary value of a game. again, you could find more than you ever wanted to know by simply searching out the usual used game outlets first. i suspect a lot of folks are using this thread more as a "bragging rights" arena than anything else.

lastly, use the "Search this Thread" function before posting, as odds are that the title you're asking about has been discussed ad nauseam already.[/quote]

If you were pointing this message at me, I admit that I was rather pressed for time earlier and I was genuinely curious about the availability for the games I listed mostly due to their import status. Looking on eBay or play-asia.com is all well and good, but I was more interested in the relative rarity of such titles in North America, where I assume most of the userbase is located.

Oh and if atheism is dodging accountability through denial, I'd argue that monotheism might just be dodging accountability by obtaining a pardon from a possibly mythical creature. ;)

[quote name='Jack Banzai']If you were pointing this message at me[/quote]

nah, not you. just folks in general.

I Found two copies of fatal frame two and baldurs gate 2 dark alliance for PS2 from hollywood video. I am uninterested in both these games but can they sell well considering that they will most likely have a huge CD protector on both disks and will not include the original cases. Thanks.

Clock Tower 2 for the PS1? I saw a copy today for $3 with case and manual, but I'm not sure if it would be hard to get elsewhere.

[quote name='RSGames']Hmm.. I wonder if Nocturne will finally become a Greatest Hits title.[/QUOTE]

I hope not so they can release the new remake

[quote name='RSGames']Hmm.. I wonder if Nocturne will finally become a Greatest Hits title.[/QUOTE]

Nocturne has a while to go before it does. Odin Sphere sold 100K within a few months of release and received a lot of hype with in, Nocturne sold about 50K in it's first runs and I doubt they reprinted that many more copies and it didn't get as much abstention.

[quote name='62t']I hope not so they can release the new remake[/QUOTE]

Remake?

hmm just picked up tales of symphonia and dragon quest VIII for 20 bucks each, was it worth it or should i return it? Ive been to lazy to read any reviews about them and wanted to know if any CAG played them before.

[quote name='flare1185']hmm just picked up tales of symphonia and dragon quest VIII for 20 bucks each, was it worth it or should i return it? Ive been to lazy to read any reviews about them and wanted to know if any CAG played them before.[/QUOTE]

Tales is a great time. DQ is a series that if you like DQ/Dragon Warrior games, you'll enjoy.

[quote name='allyourblood']what.[/quote]

What I can't just sit on my ass and read what u guys have to write about the games? That just mean I put that much more trust in u guys then other people who reviewed those games. ;)

[quote name='flare1185']What I can't just sit on my ass and read what u guys have to write about the games? That just mean I put that much more trust in u guys then other people who reviewed those games. ;)[/quote]

oh, you're a sly one. we're gonna have to watch you. :)

bread's done
Back