The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword

OK, on the Hero Song quest now. Getting kind of annoyed.

The flame quest has you going to all 3 areas again.
The song quest has you going to all 3 areas, again.
Then you fight
The Imprisoned
for the 3rd time. If I have to fight that stupid thing again, I might stop playing. All I want is to go to the next dungeon.

[quote name='Javery']Link's Awakening is AMAZING. Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons are like 1/1000th of a hair short of Link's Awakening but still must-plays. Do yourself a favor and get a copy of each.[/QUOTE]

Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda. More than LttP, more than OoT. I think it was the perfect balance of what made Link to the Past great but with some 8-bit charm, as well as some improvements over the 2D formula. I'm tempted to buy it again on the 3DS just to support the title, even though I still own my original cartridge.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Holy collect-a-thon Batman. Some of the near end game stuff is pretty damn annoying. I'm in the midst of
collecting those damn note tadpoles in the flooded forest.

Not sure why they felt a need to pad an already damn long game with that kind of nonsense.[/QUOTE]

And this crap is why I won't be finishing this game tonight. My patience for this garbage is non-existent anymore. Very frustrated.

Argh, I want to play this game, but it's just too damn boring. I can't play it for longer than an hour because my eye lids start to droop.
Also, I can't get over the way Nintendo tried to integrate motion controls into every single freaking aspect of the game. Leave motion controls to sword play, and use buttons and the IR sensor for everything else.

Also, here's my ranking of the Zelda games that I've played:
1. Wind Waker
2. A Link to the Past
3. Ocarina of Time
4. Link's Awakening DX
5. The Legend of Zelda
6. Majora's Mask
7. Skyward Sword (so far)
8. The Adventures of Link
9. Twilight Princess

I never played much of Twilight Princess, so I can't give it a fair rating.

Finished getting all the
notes
in the forest, and finished up the volcano section as well--that wasn't nearly as annoying as looking for all those damn
notes

Also spent some time looking for goddess cubes I'd missed using the dowsing feature and going for the treasures they revealed--not sure I'll bother with doing that any more though. I did get an empty bottle from one, but otherwise just getting rupees I don't need and useless medals.

I've also finished all that gratitude crystal side quests now and have 67 of those (used ign guide for side quests, but haven't looked up anything else). 50 1/2 hours in so far. Saved at the start of the desert section to do that quest for the last part of the
song of the hero

Love the game, but definitely some needless padding toward the end and between dungeons in general.

Is it possible to store money anywhere? I know you can store items in the bazaar but there isn't anything I really want to buy and I'm reaching my current max of 1200 rupees. I'd like to upgrade some things but don't have, nor do I know where to get, some of the necessary components.

[quote name='Vinny']
3. During combat, say my sword is on my right side... I want to move it over to my left side and do a left-to-right slash. But when I try to move it to my left side, either a) try to do it slowly and the enemy will pick up on my action or b) try to do it quickly and game picks it up as a slash (which is subsequently blocked).[/QUOTE]
This was driving me nuts at first too. In order to stop them from changing the direction in which they are blocking, keep your sword on your right side for a little longer. If you are only holding it on one side briefly, they will keep changing their block to be whatever direction you are holding the sword. If you hold your sword on the same side for a few seconds and then change, they will not follow you and you will be able to hit them.

Yeah, no where to store money. Just keep buying wallet upgrades from Beedle's shop and getting gratitude crystals to get the wallet upgrades from
Batreaux.

If you haven't found him yet do the Lost Child sidequest.

There's a decent guide to the sidequests here: http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/Side_Quests

Only downside to it is it's sometimes unclear/wrong on when certain sidequests become available.

I'm not much on using guides/faqs in general. But Zelda sidequests are pretty annoying fetch quests, and it takes to much time to keep going around talking to everyone looking for quests that have become available throughout the game.

I still have 13 single gratitude crystals to find. Just noticed there's a list of them in that IGN guide, so I think I'll knock those out next time I play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally figured out why this game is so incredibly frustrating for me. I'm left-handed. I can't believe I didn't put it together sooner. So goddamn annoying. I'm at the second temple boss and I know how to beat him I just can't seem to get Link to do what I want him to do.

[quote name='Vinny']Is it possible to store money anywhere? I know you can store items in the bazaar but there isn't anything I really want to buy and I'm reaching my current max of 1200 rupees. I'd like to upgrade some things but don't have, nor do I know where to get, some of the necessary components.[/QUOTE]

Same boat. At best, just buy Medals from Beedle.

Hmm , Since everybody seems to be giving their rating for the Various Zelda games , I'll Give My two cents.
1. Majoras Mask
2. Skyward Sword
3. Twilight Princess
4. Wind Waker
5. Ocarina Of Time
Maybe I'm Just Weird. And No , I'm not Trolling. I feel Like the only reason that Ocarina of Time was so well received was that it was a revolutionary at the time , and as such , I just don't enjoy it as much as the Other 3d Zeldas. I also regret how i haven't played any of the 2D Zeldas yet (Excluding the First , Which I never played past the First Dungeon).

[quote name='GizmoGC']Same boat. At best, just buy Medals from Beedle.[/QUOTE]

I bought a heart medal... and have no idea what it actually does. I guess the best way is to just buy items, store them and sell them later if you need money. It's a huge loss but whatever.

The heart medal makes hearts appear more often in pots and grass etc. Very useful. The life medals give you an extra heart on your life meter (there are 2 in the game).

There's really no shortage of money in the game--I've upgraded everything (other than the wooden and iron shield as I don't use those any more), bought everything Beedle's shop and have 3,000 some rupee's currently. And you can get rupee's easily from finding a place where valuable bugs spawn near a door and just catch them and exit and repeat (see my post a page or two back) if you happen to need a lot of money for something down the road.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The heart medal makes hearts appear more often in pots and grass etc. Very useful. The life medals give you an extra heart on your life meter (there are 2 in the game).

There's really no shortage of money in the game--I've upgraded everything (other than the wooden and iron shield as I don't use those any more), bought everything Beedle's shop and have 3,000 some rupee's currently. And you can get rupee's easily from finding a place where valuable bugs spawn near a door and just catch them and exit and repeat (see my post a page or two back) if you happen to need a lot of money for something down the road.[/QUOTE]

Oh, wait, maybe I think I got the life medal, not the heart medal.

Is there a master shield (Link's traditional blue/silver shield) in this game? I currently have the regenerating purple one and it works fine but I need to find some feather or something to upgrade it to level 2. It would be nice to not have to worry about my shield breaking though.

[quote name='Javery']I finally figured out why this game is so incredibly frustrating for me. I'm left-handed. I can't believe I didn't put it together sooner. So goddamn annoying. I'm at the second temple boss and I know how to beat him I just can't seem to get Link to do what I want him to do.[/QUOTE]

So am I, but I didn't put the wii remote in my right hand, I'm still playing as I usually do and it worked out fine for combat, actually considering some people were complaining about sword fighting, I find it to be very accurate, even though I was playing like a south paw. I just pretend he's left handed and adjust accordingly, it really wasn't that hard to adapt for me anyway. **shrugs**

I'm left-handed, but, an analog stick (nunchuk) in the right-hand feels so unnatural.
So, I use the default with Wii games...unless its more pointing and no real movement; then I'll go with the left hand.

I wouldn't think it would be that big a deal for lefties. A left to right swipe (or vise versa) will still register as such with the wiimote in the left hand.

Just have to ignore that the sword is in the opposite hand on the screen and that a left to right swipe animates as a backhanded swipe when you're doing a forehand swipe as a lefty etc.

[quote name='Rig']I'm left-handed, but, an analog stick (nunchuk) in the right-hand feels so unnatural.
So, I use the default with Wii games...unless its more pointing and no real movement; then I'll go with the left hand.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I do. I have to have the nunchuck in my left hand. 30 years of playing games can't be forgotten. I put the Wiimote in my left hand if the nunchuck isn't required like for bowling, etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I wouldn't think it would be that big a deal for lefties. A left to right swipe (or vise versa) will still register as such with the wiimote in the left hand.

Just have to ignore that the sword is in the opposite hand on the screen and that a left to right swipe animates as a backhanded swipe when you're doing a forehand swipe as a lefty etc.[/QUOTE]

It's not that simple. I have less precise control over my right hand so swinging a sword in it just feels awkward. Imagine brushing your teeth or something with your opposite hand - just doesn't feel right.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm not much on using guides/faqs in general. But Zelda sidequests are pretty annoying fetch quests, and it takes to much time to keep going around talking to everyone looking for quests that have become available throughout the game.[/QUOTE]
I think there's an easier way to do it. The Sheikah stone at the beginning of the game adds tips for sidequests as they become available. I'm pretty sure if you keep checking there, you'll know when they become available and who is offering them.

[quote name='Javery']
It's not that simple. I have less precise control over my right hand so swinging a sword in it just feels awkward. Imagine brushing your teeth or something with your opposite hand - just doesn't feel right.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. I was talking about playing with the Wiimote in the left hand, but I see your point about how it would be weird to use the analog stick with the right hand.

Seems like you're not liking the game much in general, on top of this control issue. Maybe it's time to ditch it and move on to something else? Far too little free time to waste any on games you're not totally digging IMO.

[quote name='pete5883']I think there's an easier way to do it. The Sheikah stone at the beginning of the game adds tips for sidequests as they become available. I'm pretty sure if you keep checking there, you'll know when they become available and who is offering them.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Using a free online guide is still easiest though! :D The sidequests are all pretty lame IMO, so I wanted to get through them as quickly as possible to get the rewards and get back to the main quests.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Seems like you're not liking the game much in general, on top of this control issue. Maybe it's time to ditch it and move on to something else? Far too little free time to waste any on games you're not totally digging IMO.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could! I am not about to leave a Zelda game off of my resume! I'm actually liking the game quite a bit other than the controls. The story is OK and the graphics could be much better obviously (HD). I'm not a fan of the flying either (I never thought I'd say that I wish the "overworld" was sailing instead!) but other than that I am digging it. I just got to the third area and it is really cool. I also highly enjoyed the first 2 dungeons except for the first boss (which was a control issue).

Are dungeons ever more than one floor? So far both have been one floor only. I really like how they seem more dungeon-like though instead of a series of connected rooms. Also, I haven't really had the opportunity for side-questing yet other than finding that girl and the happy crystals or whatever that whole thing was. I need to explore more but I am compelled to push the story forward for some reason...

[quote name='Javery']I really like how [the dungeons] seem more dungeon-like though instead of a series of connected rooms.[/QUOTE]

Well...
the main final dungeon is, in fact, a straight up series of connected rooms. :cool: It is very cleverly done, though, and one of the better dungeons.

[quote name='KingBroly']
Also, Nintendo has the weirdest game ending glitches.[/QUOTE]

Had me worried so I googled what the glitch was. Thankfully I already did the forest and volcano parts and have the desert part left, so I don't have to worry about it.

Got a good session in this afternoon/evening. Taking a break to eat and going to see if I can finish it tonight.

I finished getting all the gratitude crystals, so that's done with. Then finished the desert section and got the full song done and thus ready to move on to the final dungeon. But then spent time in boss rush mode to get the
Hylian shield.

I'm not going to bother looking for all the goddess cubes, nor doing the mini games for pieces of heart (7 remaining), so I'm all set to finish up. Shouldn't have any issues since I have 3 Heart++ potions and have 18 hearts with the two life medals. :D

Finished it tonight. Loved it. Story does an excellent job tying things together, staying interesting and not just being another Zelda game, especially with
asserting itself as the first game time-wise (this isn't really a spoiler, Nintendo made that clear in basically all the press leading up to this game). Looking at the traditional design for the Hylian shield and Link's bird, it's not a coincidence they're both red.

I thought the final boss was
a lot easier than I was expecting, so long as you're good at shield-bashing. Love how he doesn't really have a name but looks a little like Ganon, and swears to come back throughout eternity.
I guess it's pretty clear then that Zelda, Link, and
Demise/Ganon are destined to reappear throughout time. Zelda, as the human incarnation of the Goddess (which I really think is smart because it explains her importance and insight in the other games), and Link as the Goddess' chosen hero, the Master Sword's role since it was forged in Skyward Sword.

Finished it tonight as well. Agree with all that, great start to the saga story wise.

Took me around 58 hours to get through it. Though I did pretty much everything other than track down all the goddess cubes/chests and getting the pieces of heart from the mini games.

Doing the boss rush mode to get the
Hylian Shield
paid off as a lot of stuff in the end part of the game would have been a lot harder without it.

After finishing it I'll stick with my earlier ranking and say this is my 3rd favorite Zelda game behind only LTTP and OoT.

Only real flaws are:

-The repetitiveness at time, i.e.
the back tracking between dungeons three and 4, fighting The Imprisoned 3 times (more with boss rush mode!), 4 of the stupid silent realm sequences etc.

-Some annoying fetch quest and collectathon crap
pretty much all the gratitude crystal sidequests, gathering the damn notes in the forest to get that part of the song of the hero etc.

-Controls were a bit wonky at times. Mainly just that the camera sucked since you couldn't control it beyond centering it behind you.

-Graphics really needed to be in HD. Art design is fantastic, but it's a jaggy SD mess unfortunately being a Wii game. I really hope they stick with this art design for the next Zelda on Wii U! The design during the final boss were particularly good, and definitely the best graphics in the game. Would have been amazing in HD! :drool:

Those are all fairly minor nit picks and are far outweighed by the overall quality of the game. Probably the best story of a Zelda game (though still light compared to many RPG type games), great art design, fantastic dungeons, mostly great bosses etc. They're aren't many games that I'll throw nearly 60 hours into in a couple of weeks, so that's a pretty strong testament to how much I enjoyed the game as a whole!

Not going to hold on to it though, as I never replay games. Already sent it out on Goozex for 1000 points and an early access token.

Is there a spoiler free glitch guide? I keep reading things about game-ending glitches but I don't want the game spoiled.

I just got the second flame and finished up the third spirit trial thing. Man, Fi looks creepy when she "signs" to unlock the spirit trials. *shudder*

To avoid the glitch, do the desert part of the quests after the 6th dungeon (3rd flame) last after doing the forest and volcano area one's first (order doesn't matter on those two).

So...how avoidable is the glitch if you've done *part* of the desert first?

I
have the seed in my possession...

I didn't read up on the spoiler until seeing it in the last couple of pages. Am I fucked? Or, can I hang onto it and go do the other two parts first?

I think there's more to triggering the glitch than just doing the desert first. But I'd try to do the other two areas first just to be safe.

If the forest is
flooded
and you
crash
when landing in the volcano area, then you're good to go. The glitch keeps those events from happening.

[quote name='Rig']So...how avoidable is the glitch if you've done *part* of the desert first?

I
have the seed in my possession...

I didn't read up on the spoiler until seeing it in the last couple of pages. Am I fucked? Or, can I hang onto it and go do the other two parts first?[/QUOTE]

It had to do with talking to the Goron. Just stay away from him and yes, id go do the other 2 first if possible. Also, next time you boot up, copy your save file just in case you trigger it in the process.

[quote name='johnnypark']Did a write-up on Skyward Sword and it's importance regarding the evolution of the series:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=23128[/QUOTE]

Good write up johnny.

I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but good write up nonetheless.

Myself, I found this to be a very well done game, but it just didn't have that magic and "game changing" feel to it that OoT did when it came out. This is a nice game in the Zelda series and made some improvements, but also had some annoyances I outlined earlier.

But as a whole it just didn't at all feel revolutionary to me like OoT did when it first came out. It just never had that "Wow! This is one of the best games I've every played!" feel to it that OoT did. As much as I liked it, there's a lot of other games I've played this generation that I'd rank ahead of it, but that's just my opinion of course.

It's a solid 8.5 or 9 out of 10 game for me. Not a perfect 10 masterpiece type of game.

The motion controls are starting to get annoying and tedious, sure they add something to the game and I enjoy them somewhat, but they also very clunky.

Just got to the desert and it took me FOREVER to figure out
you could run in the quicksand
. I like this area though with the
time crystals
and stuff. 11 hours in and a LONG way to go....

At the save right before the final boss. 50+ hours in and I'm only missing a few heart pieces, I think from the mini games. Got all the gratitude orbs, found all treasure chests. No faqs, or guide needed.

For those that beat it, is the final fight and ending lenghty? I really want to beat it when I get home later tonight but I have to wake up early at 5:00AM and need to get to bed ASAP.

If you're truly right before the final boss, then no, it's not particularly long. Ending isn't super long either. I'd say plan on an hour at most if your right at the last battles.

Is this the end?
After fighting Ghirahdam (or whatever) Ganon appears, gets his sword and waits for you, so you can prepare. So I went out and stocked up on potions came back and saved it right in front of the portal. BTW Ganon looks freakin' badass.

[quote name='Rodimus']Is this the end?
After fighting Ghirahdam (or whatever) Ganon appears, gets his sword and waits for you, so you can prepare. So I went out and stocked up on potions came back and saved it right in front of the portal. BTW Ganon looks freakin' badass.
[/QUOTE]

Going towards the Portal = Point of No Return

Make sure to copy your Save to another File as well. Trust me on this one.

[quote name='Rodimus']Is this the end?
[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's the end. Just that battle and the ending left, so not much at all.

And Broly is right, if you want to keep playing on this save, then copy it over so you can start up
Hero mode
after the ending as doing so over rights the current save.

Moot if you have no plans to do more sidequests etc. on this save nor to play through
hero mode

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep, that's the end. Just that battle and the ending left, so not much at all.

And Broly is right, if you want to keep playing on this save, then copy it over so you can start up
Hero mode
after the ending as doing so over rights the current save.

Moot if you have no plans to do more sidequests etc. on this save nor to play through
hero mode
.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I hate it when games that do that, it's fucking stupid.

To be fair, it does ask if you want to save and start
hero mode
and informs you that it will overwrite your current save. So if you aren't aware of it you can say no and go copy the save and just redo the final battle which is fairly easy anyway.

Besides, people should be doing all the sidequest before beating the game anyway. Not much point in going back in doing them since you don't need the items, money etc. at that point, and being a Wii game there are no achievements or trophies. Knock all that crap out along the way so the game stays as easy as possible! :D

I usually play it safe on here as people on CAG tend to get their panties in a wad about any kind of potential spoiler.

Just beat it, awesome game and a shame it's over. Not be a perfect game but I had the most fun with this than I did with any other game this year.

As for spoilers to the ending:
I assume this is the first story in the series. Sorry if this was already a given, I've been avoiding spoilers and chronologically the Zelda games have always been a cluster fuck. Add to that I'm ignorant on my Zelda history. I'm assuming they name the new land Hyrule and it's down hill from their.

bread's done
Back