The March Madness 2011 Thread

fuck ! I'm one point behind the guy in first place and we both have Kansas winning..plus he still has North Carolina. Thanks Florida.

Excellent game,that coach Brad Stevens is going to get a offered a huge ass contract from someone after this thing is done.Really showed how great a coach he is.

Awesome for Butler. If they win the title it'll be deserved. Definitely the best mid major in the country. Hopefully their coach won't jump ship after this season.

I am very surprised that I still have a shot to win the CAG Tourney Challenge. I need UK and Kansas to win tomorrow and Kentucky to at least make the final game.

[quote name='themaster20000']Very surprised by UCONN,didn't think they would make it after playing those 5 games in the Big East Tournament.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Figured fatigue would catch up with them.

Kansas has to have the easiest path to the title game seed wise for any team ever.

So far they've played a 16, 9 and a 12. Play an 11 (VCU) today and would play 8 seed Butler in the final four.

Can't imagine any team has had a path to the title game with no higher than an 8 seed before.

The low seed line path to the title game may not matter for Kansas if they don't wake up! Down 33-17 to VCU in the first half!

41-27 VCU at the half.

I have a feeling the 2nd half will be a different story unfortunately. I don't see VCU staying so hot from 3 or Kansas staying so cold.

Absolutely crazy! VCU vs. Butler in the least probably final four match up in history!

Kansas made the expected run but never really got it going. Thought VCU was going to choke when they started with some silly turnovers and jacking up shots with 25-30 seconds on the shot clock with 3 minutes or so left when they needed to run clock. But Kansas still sucked shooting.

[quote name='themaster20000']Well Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale look like idiots after ripping the hell outta VCU for getting in the tournament.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, they are going to be eating bowls full of crow until next season. :lol:

Congrats to VCU getting to their first final four in school history. Not to mention an improbable run, taking out a team from every major conference (except the SEC). Pac 10, Big East, Big Ten, ACC, and now Big 12.

[quote name='Nate Nanjo']So, will Butler vs VCU an interesting match?[/QUOTE]

Should be. Two pretty evenly matched teams. I'd put my money on Butler due to their experience of being there last year. They'll handle the media hassle etc. of Final Four better and have less risk of distraction etc.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Great game for VCU. It's a shame that they will have to face Butler in the next round.[/QUOTE]

yeah. I'd have preferred a Butler-VCU final.

At least it's physically impossible for my bracket to get any worse at this point. But I'm pulling for VCU (as much as I'd love Butler to win) at this point.

I don't think Butler has a chance. VCU loves to rain the 3s. So far this tournament those guys have been red hot shooting them.

As for history, it should be history to see either an 8 or 11 seed team in the Championship game.

[quote name='themaster20000']Well Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale look like idiots after ripping the hell outta VCU for getting in the tournament.[/QUOTE]

Not like they needed to try very hard anyways though...

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Before anyone asks, there has been two other times all one seeds didn't make the final four:

[/QUOTE]

So if Kentucky wins this would be the first final four with no 1 OR 2 seeds.

[quote name='lordopus99']I don't think Butler has a chance. VCU loves to rain the 3s. So far this tournament those guys have been red hot shooting them.

As for history, it should be history to see either an 8 or 11 seed team in the Championship game.[/QUOTE]

Live by the 3, die by the three. They'll cool off eventually.

An 8 seed has won the tourney I think. Villanova back in the 80s I believe.

[quote name='dmaul1114']So if Kentucky wins this would be the first final four with no 1 OR 2 seeds.
[/QUOTE]
You are correct:

There has never been a final four without a 1 or 2 seed.

• Due to #8 seed Butler and #11 seed VCU playing each other, the 2011 championship game will either tie the record or have the lowest seed ever to play in the championship game.

[quote name='dmaul1114']

Live by the 3, die by the three. They'll cool off eventually.

An 8 seed has won the tourney I think. Villanova back in the 80s I believe.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, it was the same year they upset Patrick Ewing's Georgetown squad.

• On one occasion a #8 seed has reached the National Finals (Championship Game)
Villanova in 1985 The lowest seed to win the National Championship was the aforementioned Villanova team, in 1985.

For those of us who likes to compare numbers here is a breakdown of VCU and Butler (note this only includes all D 1 games up to yesterday) :

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Virginia Commonwealth

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Butler

Congrats Kentucky on making it to the final four once again.

UCONN vs UK and VCU VS Butler

I think I had Uconn in one of my brackets and that is about all. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Highest combined number of seeds in the final four was previously 22 in '00. This year there's 26. Looking forward to another David vs goliath championship game. Fingers crossed for no blowouts

[quote name='gbpackers94']Hey guys like my new avatar? If VCU can beat Kansas they can probably beat anyone.[/QUOTE]It's alright but way too fairweather. Should have stuck with a Louisville Cardinals avatar.

I hope VCU either takes out Butler or Butler wins it all. It would be an incredible run to get to the title game again for Butler, but if they didn't win... might just be the worst feeling ever 2 years in a row. All of these teams survived incredibly close games.

I don't know how someone could pick a winner between the red hot VCU or the somehow find a way to win Butler. Shaka has definitely made himself millions though.

[quote name='DT778']It's alright but way too fairweather. Should have stuck with a Louisville Cardinals avatar.[/QUOTE]
I live in Richmond, I have a free pass to be a fairweather fan for a while :)

[quote name='KingBroly']Awesome for Butler. If they win the title it'll be deserved. Definitely the best mid major in the country. Hopefully their coach won't jump ship after this season.[/QUOTE]

Debbie Yow needs to back up the Brink's truck and bring his ass to NC State.

[quote name='confoosious']I think Brad Stevens signed a long term contract after last season.[/QUOTE]

Long term contracts for coaches are written on toilet paper. Unless his buyout is ridiculous (which it can't be since he had all the leverage last year) he can do whatever he wants after the season.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Debbie Yow needs to back up the Brink's truck and bring his ass to NC State.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='confoosious']I think Brad Stevens signed a long term contract after last season.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I believe he got a nice contract last year after the title game. I doubt he leaves Butler any time soon. He's a born and bred Indiana guy. I imagine the only way he jumps ship, would be to go to one of the big 3 Indiana schools.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Long term contracts for coaches are written on toilet paper. Unless his buyout is ridiculous (which it can't be since he had all the leverage last year) he can do whatever he wants after the season.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I think Lane Kiffin hammered that point home already.

But the fact that he doesn't appear to be a scumbag makes me think Stevens might honor his contract. For at least a couple years more. He's young and he's gone to two Final Fours in 2 years. Unless he gets caught with a live boy or a dead girl, he's fine and his stock will not drop.

If he struggles in the next two years, he can always hint to any elite program: "I'm having trouble recruiting because Butler doesn't have the tradition of your school" and the brinks truck will still be backing up.

THE University of Kentucky!!

Good day to be a Wildcat fan especially when you are friends with someone who grew up in North Carolina and is a die hard UNC to my UK. Even I didn't think we would make it this far. 6 man rotation and maybe what would have been our best player never will put on a UK jersey in Kanter. Harrellson is making alot of money in this tourney, maybe not in the NBA but somewhere. Looks like i'm going to be "sick" saturday and hopefully sunday and monday. Ahem cough cough. ;)

About to watch watch a replay of the VCU/Kansas game I was stuck in a training session during the game but kept checking the score on my phone. Can't wait to see it play out and i'm just glad I got to watch the UK game live instead of on tape.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='diddy310']2 out of 5.9 million brackets on ESPN.com have the Final Four correct.[/QUOTE]

The receptionist at VCU who picks by colors/mascots and the band guy at VCU who keeps yelling first down after every basket! :lol:

My one team still remaining won against UNC. Now hopefully they can take down the last team from the most overrated Conference in the land.

Butler took care of VCU to go to the title game for the 2nd straight year.

Good one between UCONN and Kentucky currently. UCONN was up 10 at the half, but Kentucky is up 37-35 with 14 minutes to go.

Very good games today. Should be another good one on Monday.

It's the match up I was hoping for. Would love to see Butler win since they were so close last year. And if not, at least a Big East team wins.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']What does it say about the Big East if a team that finishes in the bottom half of the conference wins the national championship?[/QUOTE]

That it was a damn deep and strong conference despite the league's overall poor showing in the tourney.

bread's done
Back