The March Madness 2011 Thread

This was the title game I was hoping to see. UCONN has been a great story all season long, and Butler has been a great tournament story the past 2 seasons. I would fucking love to see Butler win it all in a close game on Monday.

Go Bulldogs!!

[quote name='KingBroly']My one team still remaining won against UNC. Now hopefully they can take down the last team from the most overrated Conference in the land.[/QUOTE]

The most overrated conference in the land of which their 9th place team is in the national title game and was 21-0 out of conference play. Including beating your boys twice. Congrats to UConn representing the Big East well!

dickiev.png

This made me laugh. I'm surprised Vitale even acknowledged him.

Shaping up as a defensive battle in the early going.

Mack missed a couple lay ups for Butler already though. They can't have that if they want to pull another upset. Though they did get a rebound and made a 3 off the first one.

Butler leads 22-19 at the half on a 3 by Mack before the buzzer.

Just a defensive slug fest so far. Hardly any open shots for either time thus far, lots of blocks, deflected passes etc. Some of the hardest defense by both sides I've seen in a long time.

Well, Butler will win according to my dad's prediction tonight (he picked UConn).

Last two nights, he picked Kentucky and VCU (for the men) and Stanford and UConn) for the women. So at this rate...

Butler is just sucking in the 2nd half. A lot of the first half struggles were great defense. But now they're just missing layups and and wide open 3s.

[quote name='keithp']This has been one sloppy, ugly game. It's hard to believe Butler is ahead with how off they're playing.[/QUOTE]

CT is up now. I'm not much of a B-ball fan, but this has to be the ugliest championship game ever played. Missed layups, and just bricks all around.

Hope kids don't keep jumping to the NBA the first chance they get, as the college game is definitely suffering from a talent perspective.

Just a terrible game to watch. Easily the worst title game I've watched. Only one that I can think of during my lifetime (1988 is the first one I remember watching, I was 10 then) is the 2002 one between Maryland and Indiana. But it wasn't this ugly.

But it is a team that was number 9 in the final AP poll (and only that high because of the big east tourney run) and an unranked team. Nice to have surprises, but would have probably got a much better game if the final was say Ohio State and Kansas.

Oh well, would have loved to see the little guy win after being so close last year. But at least it's a Big East team winning to silence some of the criticism of the league having such a bad overall tourney.

Congrats to UConn and their fans. And on the other side--Butler shooting 18%, geesh. Remember this one, you won't see that again!

[quote name='dmaul1114']
But it is a team that was number 9 in the final AP poll (and only that high because of the big east tourney run) and an unranked team.
[/QUOTE]

Make no mistake, there wasn't a single team in the country playing better in March than UConn. That seems self-evident since they won it all, but the way they were playing I honestly believe they would have beat any team in the country. Yes, I'm a UConn fan, so perhaps I'm a bit biased. It's pretty clear they were exhausted by this point, but they really turned it on in the second half.

[quote name='confoosious']The only people who enjoyed that game were uconn fans. That game was terrible.[/QUOTE]

We did indeed. Also people who prefer defense (are there any?) Granted neither team was even hitting open shots most of the night, so that helped a lot, but UConn's defense was historically good tonight. Almost set a championship game record for blocks and allowed 2 (TWO!) points in the paint. That's ridiculous. The shooting percentage speaks for itself. They contested pretty much everything and were on Butler like white on rice all night. It certainly isn't going to go on anyone's offensive highlight reel, but it was a defensive clinic (I know, chicks don't dig defense).

Yeah, it was a defensive battle. But it was also just bad shooting most of the night by both teams, Butler in particular. While lots of shots were contested, plenty of open shots (including layups, put backs and wide open jumpers) were missed all night.

The two semi-final games were low scoring and not good shooting games either. It happens a lot in the final four. They need to quit having it in huge football domes, and just have it in big NBA and college arenas like the earlier rounds. No sense in having in in huge domes in from of 70,000 plus people which is not an environment most teams have played in all season. Just done for greed to sell more tickets.

But yeah poor shooting, defensive struggles just aren't fun to watch. Especially if you're watching with no clear rooting interest as your team isn't in it.

I definitely agree that it's stupid to have this thing in football stadiums, and yeah it mostly just boils down to greed.

I actually think a bigger factor was just how tired both teams were. Guys were having trouble getting up and down the floor in the first half and by the end a few looked like they were ready to fall over on the court. I know logistically it wouldn't make sense to spread the Final 4 out over two weekends, but I think fatigue was the primary factor last night.

I think the fatigue was just from how aggressive defense was all game.

You don't always see that kind of fatigue in the title game, and it's no different than earlier games in the tourney with just one day off in between games (play Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Sunday) and the same one week off between round preceding it.

I personally think if they didn't have the conference tournaments on top of the 3 week tourney we wouldn't see this issue. UCONN had to be on on their last legs and I can't blame them, they played in five hard fought games in the Big East tourney and then five days later they start the tourney. They should just have one game between the two best teams overall in the conference to decide the champion.

[quote name='bvharris']
We did indeed. Also people who prefer defense (are there any?) Granted neither team was even hitting open shots most of the night, so that helped a lot, but UConn's defense was historically good tonight. Almost set a championship game record for blocks and allowed 2 (TWO!) points in the paint. That's ridiculous. The shooting percentage speaks for itself. They contested pretty much everything and were on Butler like white on rice all night. It certainly isn't going to go on anyone's offensive highlight reel, but it was a defensive clinic (I know, chicks don't dig defense).[/QUOTE]

Ehh, they touched upon this in the broadcast last night. While Uconn did force Butler shooters off their game a little bit, they also missed WIDE OPEN shots. Uconn had good defense but it wouldn't have been historically great if Butler didn't stink up the joint.

But a win is a win is a win.

[quote name='confoosious']Ehh, they touched upon this in the broadcast last night. While Uconn did force Butler shooters off their game a little bit, they also missed WIDE OPEN shots. Uconn had good defense but it wouldn't have been historically great if Butler didn't stink up the joint.
[/QUOTE]

They missed the few that they had, but I don't recall seeing all that many open looks. I mean for any team to shoot as poorly as they did you've got to have a combination of offensive ineptitude and great defense, I don't think either one alone could account for something that looked so bad. That said, if I was a defensive-minded coach I would be showing this UConn performance as a how-to guide on d.

I actually enjoyed the first half, for a while I thought both teams just had Championship game jitters. Then the second half came and UConn shot a little better while Butler just couldn't hit anything.

They really only had a couple layups missed, which of course they should have hit, but they were wide open on plenty of threes. Howard tried to bring it in but the D was just too tough for him. It really surprised me that Mack didn't start bombing away earlier. He hit two 3's but it was way too late in the game to have any effect. Reason they lost was their inability to establish the inside game and rebounding goes along with that. Sad to think if they had hit 2 or 3 more of those threes, raised their pct from (9-33) 27.3% to (12-33) 36.4% and hit 3 more free throws (8-14) 57.1% to (11-14) 78.6% it would've been "tied".

Both teams shot horribly. Butler 18.8%, UConn 34.5%. It was a case of who was worse. Neither team looked great. When I saw Mack miss a wide open layup, I knew it was time to turn it off (that was a minute or so of game time). I wouldn't chalk it to defense at all.

End of story.

[quote name='lordopus99'] I wouldn't chalk it to defense at all.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah...a near record 9 blocks by UConn was all because of Butler's bad shot selection. No defense at all.

Yeah, there was a lot of great defense on both ends.

Plenty of poor shooting with missing the open looks they did get. But lots of blocked shots, contested shots, deflected passes etc. It was an impressive defensive effort on both sides.

Hell, a lot of the missing of open looks may have been from rushing the few open shots they had after being frustrated by tight defense all night.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, there was a lot of great defense on both ends.

Plenty of poor shooting with missing the open looks they did get. But lots of blocked shots, contested shots, deflected passes etc. It was an impressive defensive effort on both sides.

Hell, a lot of the missing of open looks may have been from rushing the few open shots they had after being frustrated by tight defense all night.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't blame that on the missed shots. They had around 25 "good look" shots and missed all of them. Yes, UConn had a block party with some nice close outs but Butler had enough open looks to win. They just missed every open shot they took including all the post moves early on. They abandoned the post in the second, which helped cap off the downfall.

bread's done
Back