The New Kindle Fires Pre-Order Thread

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='209chromatic']Are we going to have an iPhone 5 preorder thread as well?:)[/QUOTE]

If it helps out the CAG forum...why not right?

You can play games on it so ;)

[quote name='PimpLimp']Meh. That's really all I can say about these new Kindles. I do agree with crunchewy though, the Paperwhite one looks pretty cool. But it's a little disheartening knowing that Amazon chose to left out the little tidbit when showing these off that EVERY new Kindle will have lock-screen ads.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing different. The Kindle Paperwhite has a no-special offers option. You can either buy it initially without offers for more, or presumably you can remove them later for a fee (on existing Kindles it's the difference in price). The special offers are only mildly annoying. They show up as small ads in your book list and while asleep, but not while reading. Sometimes you get decent deals out of it, though.

Just got my Nexus 7 yesterday, and actually read the news about the new Kindles on it! LOVE it so far... still breaking it in... it has that new tablet smell.

And good on Amazon for trying to break into the hyper competitive 8.9" market!

I get these tablets for free from Office Depot thru Rewards for my work. If they stock the 8.9" I'm in, if not, I'll just get the 7" HD. Got the Nexus 7 on launch, its ok, but I don't Hate on the Fire at all. In fact, I noticed that when you install the Amazon App 'app' on other devices it really slows them down. This happened on my phone MT4GS and Toshiba Thrive. As soon as I took them off, they booted in half the time. So, I see the Amazon products as a good supplement to apps you can get for free on a daily basis. Plus I pay for Prime anyway, so its a no brain-er!

I already pre ordered a 32gb 4g.

it is going to join my HTC Flyer and Toshiba Thrive.

Had a Kindle Fire, gave it to my mom. Great device.

$50/year 250mb/month 4G?! awesome. Great compliment to my phone.

Also love gaming on these. Easy and convenient and a great number of innovative/fun games for cheap.

[quote name='krashhole']So basically you just read what others have to say and then post a comment like this without ever owning one? And are you saying that with any other tablet, people don't buy stuff from them? Personally, I think your comment makes no sense. You can buy stuff if you want from Amazon, or you can get on the browser and go to your favorite site and buy whatever. You can play Android based games, watch videos, movies, etc etc etc.

So tell me, what is better about every other tablet?[/QUOTE]

Umm you get actual Android and not some Amazon bastardized version?

You get the Google Play Market and not the Amazon bastardized app market?

You get a real browser and not Shit, oops I mean Silk.

You dont have to look at ads all the time since no other tablet I know of is ad supported?

What that poster said really is true. The Fire line is built for you to buy stuff from Amazon (hence it doenst have the google play market on it). The only advantage really currently is Amazon Prime Instant Video but even that is not that useful if you have Netflix or Hulu plus.

Lastly props to CheapyD for trying to make a buck :)

Right now I myself am in the market for a 7 inch tablet, but I would see a Nexus 7 being a far surperior device to this. Or perhaps even a Student Edition Galaxy Tab 2.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']How is this a gaming deal? We don't have threads for other tablets or phones or computers here. Policy change?[/QUOTE]

Cheapy D probably makes money off Amazon links on CAG that are auto-tagged with the CAG referral code or whatever. Chances are people are going to buy this, gaming related or not, so Cheapy D stands to make money if they buy it after clicking his links.

I purchased the original Kire, and ultimately, while I personally think it's solid as a portable web browser and such, my biggest problem with it being limited to Amazon app store. Granted, I like the daily deals they offer, but selection is just really limited, in comparison to the full Google Play store, and iOS.

Personally, I'm curious to see what the iPad mini has to offer, and from there, I am either going with it or the Nexus 7 as my next tablet purchase.

[quote name='kilik64'] The Fire line is built for you to buy stuff from Amazon (hence it doenst have the google play market on it).[/QUOTE]

Ipads arent built for you to buy stuff from Apple? Serious question since I dont have any tablets. But I dont understand how a company trying to benefit themselves and not have their competitions apps on their devices is "so wrong"

perfect timing as my gf has really wanted a kindle. I'll wait for the reviews of the paperwhite to come out first though.

Word of advice, try out a Kindle Fire before getting one. The limited Amazon Android OS is bad. I just let the kids use it for fun. Get the iPad mini coming out instead.

Think I'm gonna preorder this
Sig.jpg

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']I'm sure this question has been asked before, but what's the difference between the 7 inch Kindle Fire HD and the Nexus 7?[/QUOTE]
Kindle Fire has a better display and better graphics (or I hope so).

Nexus 7 has better processor because it uses a quad core vs the dual core of the Kindle Fire HD.

Nexus 7 uses the full google Android OS. Kindle Fire uses a gimped Amazon version that only supports Amazon apps and the Amazon App marketplace so there is a lot less OS wise. Although you can root your Kindle Fire to a better version of android.

I mean unless you really need that HD display, I still believe the Nexus 7 is the better machine just for the better processor. Sure the Kindle Fire HD has better graphics but comparing quad to dual core, the Nexus 7 wins.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I just picked up a Nexus last week, so I'm not really in the market. To be honest, I haven't figured out what the point of a backlit Kindle is when you can get an inexpensive clamp light for it.[/QUOTE]

Those clamp on lights light unevenly and require their own separate battery. There is the lighted case, and it is pretty good and solves the separate battery problem, but it lights unevenly. It's also expensive. Then there is the fact that the e-ink Kindles are kind of dark (the background) and, for me, required a light all the time except for outdoors. So I'm limited either to sitting by a reading lamp, or using the uneven lighting of the lighted case. So this solves that by giving 8 weeks of power even with the light on all the time, plus even lighting. It sounds perfect. I guess we will find out how perfect it is in practice in October.

I'm only interested in the Paperwhite. E-Ink screens can't be beat when it comes to pure reading experience. I love my 2nd Generation Kindle but may eventually upgrade to a Paperwhite depending on whether the built-in lighting technology works as well in real life as it does in their demonstration videos.

If I'm evaluating the Kindle Fires purely as tablets, they look pretty good but not exceptional. I'm a big Amazon fan but only having access to the Amazon Appstore is pretty limiting. If I was to buy another Android tablet, it'd be the Nexus 7. (I'm not going to b/c I bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1 last summer and upgraded my phone to a Galaxy S3 in July so I'm set for awhile when it comes to mobile devices. And I just put together a gaming PC so my electronics budget is gone for awhile.)

I love my Kindle Fire. I got one for myself and liked it so much I bought my wife on for Christmas. While I prefer the original Kindle for books (I have a Kindle2) I really like reading comics on this thing. Its very sharp and makes it much easier to read without having to lug numerous tpbs around.

I'm not really into gaming on a touch screen but the few I've played were fun time wasters.

My only gripe was the 8 gig hd but thankfully they have addressed that. I'm totally getting the 32 gig 8.9 screen.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Really excited about the Paperwhite! Thinking of splurging on the 3G version but frankly have no reason to get it over wifi.[/QUOTE]
Unless you really want to buy books anywhere, the Wifi version will work. I have a Kindle Touch with Wifi and it works great.

I ordered the 32GB Fire SD but I swear I will cancel my preorder if I find out that Amazon partitioned the new Kindle Fire SD, i'll pass this time. I was pissed when I basically paid $200 for a 1GB Kindle Fire.

I doubt the HD's text will look as crisp as the retina iPad, and their OS is awful. Plus there aren't many areas with AT&T 4G (doesn't az use AT&T?)

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Kindle Fire has a better display and better graphics (or I hope so).

Nexus 7 has better processor because it uses a quad core vs the dual core of the Kindle Fire HD.

Nexus 7 uses the full google Android OS. Kindle Fire uses a gimped Amazon version that only supports Amazon apps and the Amazon App marketplace so there is a lot less OS wise. Although you can root your Kindle Fire to a better version of android.

I mean unless you really need that HD display, I still believe the Nexus 7 is the better machine just for the better processor. Sure the Kindle Fire HD has better graphics but comparing quad to dual core, the Nexus 7 wins.[/QUOTE]

The claims that the new Fire HD display is better than competing devices are kinda iffy. The resolution is identical to that of the Nexus, so it comes down to whether you buy Amazon's line that the coatings or screen technology are superior in some way.

Also the Nexus 7 has built-in Bluetooth and GPS.

Neither has a microSD slot, which is stupid but apparently plays to each's intended function as a "cloud storage" device.

Also, at least according to Amazon's marketing material (I've seen no reviews indicating how much of this is PR bunk--I expect it's too early for reviews at this point), the WiFi connection for the Fire HD is better and faster than the Nexus or iPad due to new (or newly-implemented) antenna technology.

Additionally, the Fire HDs are cheaper than the Nexus 7. The $199 model has 16GB, which you have to pay an extra $50 for with the Nexus and Google has no 32GB model.

I'm still not sure the faster WiFi and bigger memory capacity are the best tradeoff for not having Bluetooth or GPS to me, but they probably are. I think Amazon would have had a slam-dunk device on its hands if it had included an expansion slot (on the other hand, Amazon probably wouldn't sell any 32GB models if they had done so. . . ).

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Kindle Fire has a better display and better graphics (or I hope so).

I mean unless you really need that HD display, I still believe the Nexus 7 is the better machine just for the better processor. Sure the Kindle Fire HD has better graphics but comparing quad to dual core, the Nexus 7 wins.[/QUOTE]

I think they're at the same resolution?

[quote name='plus1zero']I think they're at the same resolution?[/QUOTE]
The Kindle Fire HD is a 8.9" tablet with 1920x1200 resolution but the Nexus 7 has better hardware. :bouncy:

[quote name='Rodster']The Kindle Fire HD is a 8.9" tablet with 1920x1200 resolution but the Nexus 7 has better hardware. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that we were comparing the 7" versions. It's reasonable to assume that a tablet with a larger physical screen would have a superior resolution.

I believe the Fire has blutooth this time, could swear I saw that on the specs page.
I kind of want the 9",but have to see if it can be rooted first.

[quote name='kitsunisan']I believe the Fire has blutooth this time, could swear I saw that on the specs page.
I kind of want the 9",but have to see if it can be rooted first.[/QUOTE]

Well, TechRadar says it does (and an HDMI out port for those into that sort of thing--Nexus doesn't have this), so maybe so.

What is this "rooting" folks are talking about?

Now just to wait for Apple's announcement and then decide on the Nexus 7, iPad, or Kindle Fire HD. That 1920x1200 version is sexy as hell, though.

[quote name='I OU a Beatn']... and then decide on the Nexus 7, iPad, or Kindle Fire HD. [/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat, though all the way back to square one - the Galaxy Tab 2 7". It's $50 more but I really want the rear camera (I know reviews say it sucks but I want it), the microSD slot, the IR for my tv and cable box, and the GPS which the Fire HD doesn't seem to have. The keyboard bundle at Amazon helps w/ the extra $50. I hope Apple doesn't make us wait until Oct., they didn't even upgrade the iPod Touch last year - white isn't an upgrade - so it's overdue. I love my iPod Touch 4th gen but I want a bigger screen and GPS. Don't expect memory slot though.

[quote name='kitsunisan']I believe the Fire has blutooth this time, could swear I saw that on the specs page.
I kind of want the 9",but have to see if it can be rooted first.[/QUOTE]
Good, it needs bluetooth. Handy for apps and stuff.

[quote name='warreni']

What is this "rooting" folks are talking about?[/QUOTE]
Rooting is taking that OS Amazon ships with the device and flashing it with real Android. So basically your tablet becomes a real tablet, not just an Amazon content only device.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Good, it needs bluetooth. Handy for apps and stuff.

Rooting is taking that OS Amazon ships with the device and flashing it with real Android. So basically your tablet becomes a real tablet, not just an Amazon content only device.[/QUOTE]

Hm. I figured there might be a way to do something like this.

I actually think the filtered app store might be a plus because I've nosed around the Google store and there's a lot of crapware on it. It reminds me of the DS and XBOX360 titles in the $9.99 bin at Best Buy.

I'd say the best 2 things that Amazon included were HDMI out and and the option for cheap 4G. HDMI out is a good option but I wonder if I would use it as much as I think I would.

I currently have a 32GB HP Touchpad running ICS that I got for $135 during the firesale so I'm not really looking for a new tablet right now.

I feel like ICS is pretty good overall but there are still times I feel the need to grab my laptop to do stuff. Some of the games are fun but I prefer my VITA or 3DS. It's nice to see more stuff coming to Android overall though.

It's hard not to be interested in all these new product releases but in large it's all the same stuff with a new coat of paint.

I kind of wanted one of the new Fire HD tablets until I saw that they have ad supported screensavers and whatnot that can't be disabled.

So now I'm not interested until someone figures out how to root it.

I'd say if you want a tablet for games, get an Ipad. Anything else, get whatever.

Does anyone know if the paperwhite Kindes come with some kind of audio? For audiobooks and such.

[quote name='jkam']I'd say the best 2 things that Amazon included were HDMI out and and the option for cheap 4G. HDMI out is a good option but I wonder if I would use it as much as I think I would.
[/QUOTE]

I get the distinct feeling that there aren't that many people who would use an HDMI-out port if more tablets had them. How often are you really going to be streaming movies from your tablet to your TV or computer? I can't think of any other real use for this and it's probably a lot simpler for most folks to just watch the movie directly on the TV or computer, especially if you already own a game console with Netflix and Amazon apps.

[quote name='bigant262']I'd say if you want a tablet for games, get an Ipad. Anything else, get whatever.

Does anyone know if the paperwhite Kindes come with some kind of audio? For audiobooks and such.[/QUOTE]

Well, the iPad minis aren't out yet and Apple doesn't currently offer a cheap tablet so that's really not the best advice at this point. On the other hand, I doubt many users are buying them primarily for games.

As regards the Paperwhite devices, according to Amazon's site, no. These don't support audiobooks at all.

[quote name='bigant262']Does anyone know if the paperwhite Kindes come with some kind of audio? For audiobooks and such.[/QUOTE]

No it does not. There's a chart on the page for it on amazon. No audio. It's not a problem for me as I use my iPhone for any audio books/podcasts and such, not a Kindle or anything of that size.

Not true. The Kindle Fire supports pretty much all Android apps that would work on the device, you just don't have them show up on the Amazon App Store. Opera, for example, is just a simple download away. Sure, its still an android device, and hence its shitty with all the market fragmentation going on. But as far as android devices go, the Fire HD is probably the best you can get.

Also, a dual-core vs quad-core is hardly a difference performance wise. Better graphics and a better display are, by far, a better deal.

[quote name='warreni'] How often are you really going to be streaming movies from your tablet to your TV or computer? I can't think of any other real use for this and it's probably a lot simpler for most folks to just watch the movie directly on the TV or computer, especially if you already own a game console with Netflix and Amazon apps.

[/QUOTE]

Quick boot up, connectivity to any TV w/hdmi... hotels, friend's
one may also not have an internet ready devices connected to all TVs in their household.

I have hdmi on my phone, it is easy to show ppl stuff wtihout having they crowd your space looking at tiny screen.

Was going to pre-order one for my wife.....until I read about the ads. Looks like I might just get her a Nexus 7 instead.

Just got back from checking some tablets out, any of yall have any input on those acer ones from gamestop? I want a tablet that's not an ipad. Thinking about just getting the $200 Nexus 7

[quote name='Jack_Frost']Just got back from checking some tablets out, any of yall have any input on those acer ones from gamestop? I want a tablet that's not an ipad. Thinking about just getting the $200 Nexus 7[/QUOTE]

I have no tablets but depending on what you want to use yours for, I think the Nexus 7 or the Kindle Fire HD 16GB would be good bets.

just browse web, tumblr, music/vids/some games and reading. I mean I have a laptop, smart tv, phone and game system ha so Nexus 7 most likely since its the cheapest.

paperwhite looks awesome. i already have a fire, and a 3rd gen ipad. thinking about selling my fire and just picking up a paperwhite.

Does the Comixology app offer DC titles again? I remember hearing that they had to pull DC content at one time. If the have DC and Marvel Comics I will definitely be getting one of these new ones.

bread's done
Back