The New Kindle Fires Pre-Order Thread

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
I think you can probably pay a fee to get rid of the "special offers". You can on the e-ink Kindles. But definitely a poor move on Amazon's part to not be up front about it. In the end it's going to hurt them, so it was just plain dumb.

The paperwhite is incredible, but my keyboard Kindle suits me fine. I'll wait until it dies.

As for the Fire? I'm not a fan of the UI. Why bother with that when you can get the superior stock Android on the Nexus devices?

I should also mention that I'm betting on the Windows 8 tablet computers to make these tablets a boutique item. I just want my entire computer to be on one of these things and be done with it.

[quote name='Jack_Frost']Just got back from checking some tablets out, any of yall have any input on those acer ones from gamestop? I want a tablet that's not an ipad. Thinking about just getting the $200 Nexus 7[/QUOTE]

You mean the Iconia? Get the Nexus. Better tablet all around. Right now the Nexus is the top in its class.

I ended up selling my HP Touchpad yesterday on Amazon so I could buy a Kindle Fire HD. I never used my HP and never had the time or desire to deal with installing android on it to make it better. So I preordered the 16gb HD and it arrives the day after my birthday, which will be a nice gift to myself! I have no issues with the screen advertisements, since I buy all of my MP3's on Amazon, and use Prime video often. So it'll be nice to get some bonuses. However, I did just see now on the product listing page that you can opt out of the screen ads for $15 after you register your device, if anyone is interested. I am very excited to get the Kindle Fire HD. It seems like it'll do everything I want for a very good price.

I'd be all over the 4G model but according to the comparison chart it has no battery life which i guess means it can only be used with an AC adapter, kinda limiting the portability.

[quote name='sasuke543']does anyone know where i can still get the best value for my kindle fire besides ebay? would love to get one of these![/QUOTE]Craigslist, though I imagine that with this announcement the values of the og fire have gone down.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Kindle Fire has a better display and better graphics (or I hope so).

Nexus 7 has better processor because it uses a quad core vs the dual core of the Kindle Fire HD.

Nexus 7 uses the full google Android OS. Kindle Fire uses a gimped Amazon version that only supports Amazon apps and the Amazon App marketplace so there is a lot less OS wise. Although you can root your Kindle Fire to a better version of android.

I mean unless you really need that HD display, I still believe the Nexus 7 is the better machine just for the better processor. Sure the Kindle Fire HD has better graphics but comparing quad to dual core, the Nexus 7 wins.[/QUOTE]

I see the Kindle Fires get returned at work all of the time...They're not worth it. The OS is lacking, and I hate the placement of the power button. I don't think you can install third party Amazon apps on it either. They're definitely better than those crappy Pandigital Tablets. :roll: I'm pretty sure you can install the Amazon App Store on your Nexus 7, and download the free apps of the day. Theoretically that should work. If that works, you'd have one hell of a tablet! I'm using the Amazon App Store on my Galaxy S3, and I love all of the free apps I received. That's just my two sense though. The Nexus 7 is definitely a better buy at $200.

**Proud owner of an HP Touchpad.** Still amazes me to this day.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I see the Kindle Fires get returned at work all of the time...They're not worth it. The OS is lacking, and I hate the placement of the power button. I don't think you can install third party Amazon apps on it either. They're definitely better than those crappy Pandigital Tablets. :roll: I'm pretty sure you can install the Amazon App Store on your Nexus 7, and download the free apps of the day. Theoretically that should work. If that works, you'd have one hell of a tablet! I'm using the Amazon App Store on my Galaxy S3, and I love all of the free apps I received. That's just my two sense though. The Nexus 7 is definitely a better buy at $200.

**Proud owner of an HP Touchpad.** Still amazes me to this day.[/QUOTE]

I've got an original Fire and a Nexus 7, and I have to agree with you overall. While the Fire was the best tablet for the money when it came out a year ago, the gimped version of android really irritates me. The tablet itself isn't bad, a bit heavy and the lack of volume buttons is annoying, but for is time it really was a nice option.

I got a 16gb Nexus 7 and have been overall very happy with it. Nice browsing with Chrome and Dolphin, games look and play great on it (especially Tegra optimized games), and the form factor is very nice. Resolution of 1280 x 800 is great too.

As for the new Fires, I would have a concern about that gimped android running on them; being limited to the Amazon appstore is annoying, since not all the games I want were available there. However, if you're a big consumer of Amazon digital content (I am for games and music, but not much else), it may well be worth it. The 8.9" 32gb version has been getting me interested, but I'm holding back for now; the Nexus 7 is working great for me and I don't have a pressing need to upgrade.

Everyone getting the Nexus 7, and want a bigger tablet, wait for the Nexus 10. 10 in tablet, with all the same features, and possibly more, for a starting price of $300 for the 16gb.

Asus/Samsung/Google are the best tablets out there right now.

I am in the market for a kindle (if the one I supposedly won in a contest does not come), and I am wondering which is the best model, the basic sounds like it is enough, but the problem is the keyboard, it would be very cumbersome to use without the keyboard. Should I just look around for a used Kindle Keyboard, and is that model superior to the current $69 model? Maybe prices for the Kindle Keyboard will tank after these new ones are released?

I have the cheap one. I have used my coworker's touch screen and felt the directional pad is fine enough. it is slow, but I don't normally search for too many stuff so the tradeoff over size vs occassional convenience is worth it to me vs the larger kindle with keyboard.

the smaller form factor and weight also make the cheap kindle reader easy to hold in one hand while laying in bed... it is easier to hold vs the touch, which is lighter than keyboard.

[quote name='SaraAB']I am in the market for a kindle (if the one I supposedly won in a contest does not come), and I am wondering which is the best model, the basic sounds like it is enough, but the problem is the keyboard, it would be very cumbersome to use without the keyboard. Should I just look around for a used Kindle Keyboard, and is that model superior to the current $69 model? Maybe prices for the Kindle Keyboard will tank after these new ones are released?[/QUOTE]

Using the keyboard on the keyboard kindle isn't a super experience and using the kindle device to browse amazon isn't all that great either (speaking about the non-fire kindles)...It does it but it is pretty slow. It is much easier and faster to do your ebook buying from a computer and have it sent to the kindle than to use the kindle to do the buying (although it is super easy to buy stuff by accident on the kindle device).

Last black friday, a few retailers ran some deals on kindle keyboard for I think $85-90 (with special offers). It doesn't look amazon is dumping the kindle keyboard but now have positioned it as the entry level 3G model since they have phased out the kindle touch line. The keyboard has more memory and has a text to speech function the cheaper kindles don't have. The $70 kindle is lighter and smaller however, so it is easier to carry and hold for longer periods of time. The keyboard comes with AC plug while the $70 kindle doesn't. I would suggest that you debate about the value of 3G to you and use that to decide which one to get.

[quote name='computingwarren']Everyone getting the Nexus 7, and want a bigger tablet, wait for the Nexus 10. 10 in tablet, with all the same features, and possibly more, for a starting price of $300 for the 16gb.[/QUOTE]

When is that coming out?

I had the cheap Kindle and the little dpad worked OK for getting definitions of words, but it sure will be nice to just touch a word and get the definition. But really the dpad isn't bad. It is cumbersome to enter text on, which you'll do to enter a WiFi password, or when you want to create folders. It's not a deal killer at all, but I'm looking forward to the capacitive touchscreen keyboard on the Paperwhite. Though mainly what I'm looking forward to is the light. Also I did not like the position of the page turn buttons on the cheap kindle. It felt a bit awkward, but it probably depends on the size of your hands. FYI, the Kindle Keyboard apparently does not have as sharp of text as the cheap kindle, and especially not compared to the Paperwhite. I'm not sure how much of a problem that is as I never had a Kindle Keyboard.

I can't find it on Amazon's website but google "Kindle Fire $15 ads" and it seems Amazon is letting you pay to remove the ads, though this may need to be done while you are holding the Kindle in your hand. If I get that far I'll probably keep the ads but 3 odd reasons I may not get that far -
1. no GPS
2. 13.5 hrs. to charge the battery via USB as it does NOT come with a wall charger (Tab 2 is 3 hrs w/ included wall charger but will NOT charge via USB, Nexus 4 hrs. included all charger, 7 hours USB)
3. It's 5.4" wide vs. 4.75 old/new Fire, Tab 2 and Nexus. It's only an extra 3/4", but the width between the first joints in my thumb and middle finger is only about 5" (I have small hands) so I can't comfortably hold the Fire HD in portrait mode.

Also today the Tab 2" is now down to $229.98 on Amazon. Standalone, no keyboard. And the Android 4.1.1 Jellybean update is apparently coming, so 1 less negative on this old-er device.

[quote name='K_G']Using the keyboard on the keyboard kindle isn't a super experience and using the kindle device to browse amazon isn't all that great either (speaking about the non-fire kindles)...It does it but it is pretty slow. It is much easier and faster to do your ebook buying from a computer and have it sent to the kindle than to use the kindle to do the buying (although it is super easy to buy stuff by accident on the kindle device).

Last black friday, a few retailers ran some deals on kindle keyboard for I think $85-90 (with special offers). It doesn't look amazon is dumping the kindle keyboard but now have positioned it as the entry level 3G model since they have phased out the kindle touch line. The keyboard has more memory and has a text to speech function the cheaper kindles don't have. The $70 kindle is lighter and smaller however, so it is easier to carry and hold for longer periods of time. The keyboard comes with AC plug while the $70 kindle doesn't. I would suggest that you debate about the value of 3G to you and use that to decide which one to get.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your wonderful review, I really do not need 3G as there is Wifi everywhere, my cousin has the kindle keyboard so I can always check out hers to see if the text display is usable to me, it seems like all the models work fine though. They keyboard doesn't seem to be necessary as you can just buy on your computer and send to your kindle, which is what I am sure I would be doing most of the time anyways. Also I plan to use the library rental service overdrive though, which I assume I will need to type on it for that so I might want to go for the keyboard for that. I was mainly referring to the prices of used kindle keyboards, hopefully they will go down in price or amazon will do a fire sale on BF as they have done in years past. Somehow I don't think buying a used kindle would be a bad thing. I don't need the AC adapter or even a USB cord as I have plenty of those laying around.

I have the basic cheap kindle and love it. I don't think i've ever needed to use the keyboard after the initial sign in. Just do overdrive on your computer, its so easy.
I like that I can fit that small kindle in a ziplock sandwhich bag and read my kindle in the bath. I've had a the original nook, nook color, ipads/idevices, hp touchpad and have used the small kindle more for reading than all the rest combined, multiple times over. The size is perfect for reading.

Pre-ordered the Kindle Paperwhite. Website said October 8 ETA, but order says October 2. Didn't want to think about it much longer if it meant waiting for a second shipment. Bought it with special offers, hope it's still easy to block/replace the ads or maybe they'll go back to having good deals...

I just preordered Paperwhite as well, but I can't believe anyone would actually think saving $60 or so is worth being forced to deal with ads (or even having to disable them when it probably still leaves a blank ad box etc)

[quote name='ElektroDragon']I just preordered Paperwhite as well, but I can't believe anyone would actually think saving $60 or so is worth being forced to deal with ads (or even having to disable them when it probably still leaves a blank ad box etc)[/QUOTE]
I figure if they're that bad or can't be disabled, I'll pay the money to turn them off. If it's anything like the previous generations, you can just spoof the ads to whatever images you want. The same level of hackability regarding Kindlets would be nice too. :D

$60? The difference is $20. I'm hoping that upon release they'll have some good deals, and then when those peter out again I'll pay to get rid of them.

[quote name='rjejr']I can't find it on Amazon's website but google "Kindle Fire $15 ads" and it seems Amazon is letting you pay to remove the ads, though this may need to be done while you are holding the Kindle in your hand. If I get that far I'll probably keep the ads but 3 odd reasons I may not get that far -
1. no GPS
2. 13.5 hrs. to charge the battery via USB as it does NOT come with a wall charger (Tab 2 is 3 hrs w/ included wall charger but will NOT charge via USB, Nexus 4 hrs. included all charger, 7 hours USB)
3. It's 5.4" wide vs. 4.75 old/new Fire, Tab 2 and Nexus. It's only an extra 3/4", but the width between the first joints in my thumb and middle finger is only about 5" (I have small hands) so I can't comfortably hold the Fire HD in portrait mode.

Also today the Tab 2" is now down to $229.98 on Amazon. Standalone, no keyboard. And the Android 4.1.1 Jellybean update is apparently coming, so 1 less negative on this old-er device.[/QUOTE]

The $15 ad removal thing is on the Kindle Fire HD page. It advertises the ads at the top portion of the page with a "learn more" link that says you can remove them for $15. I'll most likely keep the ads on mine and hope to get some mp3 credits and all that, since I buy all my music on Amazon.

Also, while it does cost extra, they have a Powerfast charger for the wall that advertises charging in under four hours. It's pricey at $19.99, but only $9.99 when pre-ordered with a new Fire. That's what I did, figuring the $10 was well worth it.

[quote name='backseatdog']Does anyone know if the they are also revamping the original kindle fire? Or is it merely a price drop to $159.00 for the older model?[/QUOTE]

The completely sold out of their old stock of the original Kindle Fires. The new $159 one has a faster CPU and 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB.

Can someone tell me who snagged a KF HD if Amazon partitioned the storage again? :bouncy:

With the original KF you only had 1.1GB of space for apps and 5.1 for music/movies/books/podcast.

bread's done
Back