The "Night of Champions" Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Summer Rae/Sasha Banks segment from this week's show leads me to believe she might have operated a phone sex line at one time.

That Summer Rae/Sasha Banks segment from this week's show leads me to believe she might have operated a phone sex line at one time.
3Hj9OM3.jpg

[lowhangingfruit]

I'd like to see WWE's "Sooperstarz(TM)" have that level of passion in their performances.

[/lowhangingfruit]

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished catching up on the G1 Climax and my favorite match had to be Kojima/Okada. Can't wait for their rematch for the belt!

Sami Zayn WWE live event debut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N8C5ytEOvPY

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earliest footage of Ric Flair!

ric-flair.jpg

Flair 1973

74254_168477689844680_100000473492929_509017_7023559_n.jpg

Flair 1974

180197_10150096334647865_656147864_6116950_8157279_n.jpg

47757_151706348188481_100000473492929_408641_6762835_n.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7G69Kkb0VGE

It's insane how unrecognizable Flair is. His body type is completely different!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hOUbc2kra1A

-------------------

Wrestle-1's inaugral event tonight at 3am: Wrestle-1 Hataage Sen Sept 8th @ 3:00am EDT -  http://www.ustream.tv/channel/thamokes - Live now. Looks like they licensed U2's "The Streets Have No Names". Watching.

-------------------

Full Smackdown from this past Friday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf_GqTdF-Tw&feature=player_embedded 

Jack Swagger vs. Sami Zayn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VfWycOcNyVE
- This is said to be better than the Cesaro match that was posted a little while ago.

I'm enjoying the show much more than I expected, which is good since I hadn't planned on staying up this late to watch it.

EDIT:
HOLY SHIT LAUGHTER7

I finally watched the Cesaro/Zayn match.  It was pretty good but that's about it.  Both guys have had much better matches before but I guess with what WWE passes off as wrestling for the most part these days this is definitely ahead of the curve.  Ultimately, even though it wasn't their best I did enjoy it.

I wish they would break up 3MB,  I like Jinder and Drew but 3MB might as well be the 3 jobber crew.  Seriously no point of watching any of their matches
they are going to lose

Ric Flair's daughter is probably the best female wrestler I've ever seen.  I also love Summer Rae.  I also like Paige... I like all the divas.

Bo Dallas should also grow a beard and join his brother in the Wyatt family.

I didn't think Flair's daughter was all that great. Her matches that have been shown on NXT (during the tournament) were very sloppy. Granted, that's about the extent of what I've seen.....

Goodbye TNA.

They're running behind on paying talents. Just like ECW.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raw is in Toronto tonight. Should be fun.

I didn't think Flair's daughter was all that great. Her matches that have been shown on NXT (during the tournament) were very sloppy. Granted, that's about the extent of what I've seen.....
She has never wrestled before that (couple dark matches). It said she had a gymnastics background but for someone who never wrestled before she is obviously a natural. Unless she doesn't improve at all I think my statement will hold relative. Time will tell.

Ric Flair / "Rowdy" Roddy Piper Wife Swap

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDZSkaEOWBQ[/youtube]

I wish they would break up 3MB, I like Jinder and Drew but 3MB might as well be the 3 jobber crew. Seriously no point of watching any of their matches
I think they could work as an Edge/Christian-esque dick heels, they just need a good push. Too bad they won't get it.

Charlotte definitely seemed more comfortable in the tag match this past week than her earlier efforts.  Her new look was a huge improvement too - more WWE than original series American Gladiators like she had during the tournament.

Watched PWG Ten (the 10th year anniversary). Kyle O'Reilly has evolved into something special. He and TJP had a match I'd toss into my "If You Have Ever Liked Pro Wrestling You Need To Watch This" list. Perkins is so consistent. He's like the Djokovic of pro wrestling. Glad to see that PWG also saw something special in O'Reilly (see: BOLA 2013).

Also: Candace LaRae's suicide dive into a tornado DDT spot got lost in a wild finish in the opening match for Ten. That was some spectacular, Ricochet-esque badassery.

I finally watched the Cesaro/Zayn match. It was pretty good but that's about it. Both guys have had much better matches before but I guess with what WWE passes off as wrestling for the most part these days this is definitely ahead of the curve. Ultimately, even though it wasn't their best I did enjoy it.
I can see why people who only watch WWE would think that it's the second coming of AKI Man. Those poor wrasslin-deprived fans.

Something WWE.com pointed out I hadn't noticed:  All of the major titles are currently held by heels. DOn't remmber the last time that happened.

This was a super-fun show. Edge had a lot of fire, Heyman bringing back Heenan's bit of faking an injury to avoid a beating ruled. Shame he didn't ask for a small post-ponement of only 6-8 months. Santino-Cesaro overachieved greatly. Santino could just retire now because he got a massive pop in his hometown, got his school plugged, and Cesaro got the longest giant swing on WWE TV in ages, if not ever, and got to call Santino a piece of shit without it getting bleeped. They also built up Goldust-Orton wonderfully with a lot of clips of Dustin being both funny and physical.

RVD-Ryback was a mini-disaster, but an amusing one that could set Ryback up as a world title challenger if RVD wins it on Sunday. Show destroying a $10 CRT set backstage was hilarious. The main event was pretty good, but not as great as Orton-Goldust. Show was a marvelous cheerleader. Loved the unbreakable small package getting the win once again and Bryan FINALLY getting one up on the corporation.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2013/09/raw-9-9-13.html

Screens -

Full gallery -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/1juj6b889w8qgg4pwmh67unihnvzi8zk

This is the title reign that Randy Orton is going to be remembered for.

His matches against Christian, Rhodes, Goldust, and Miz have been all extremely watchable. Major props to Orton for working his ass off and carrying Goldust. Best heel champ since Batista.

Also: 
i4YfwpUgkqdQN.gif

'twas an underhanded knock at Miz and Del Rio.

Punk's reign might have been memorable for length but by the time he turned heel, he never made anyone into a legitimate contender to beat him and he never raised the stock of anyone not named CM Punk.

Rhodes, Bryan, and Goldust have all had their stock raised in dealing with Orton.

Punk's reign might have been memorable for length but by the time he turned heel, he never made anyone into a legitimate contender to beat him and he never raised the stock of anyone not named CM Punk.

Rhodes, Bryan, and Goldust have all had their stock raised in dealing with Orton.
I would argue that their "stock" has been raised more due to the storyline and involvement of Trips, not their matches with Boreton.

No matter how good a build is, it's easy to lose a crowd once the bell rings. No one is more guilty of this than Trips.

Remember the Mania match between Trips and Orton and how they lost the crowd once the bell rang? Or the yawnfests HHH put up against Lesnar? Goldberg and Lesnar is another example. If the match sucks, it's really, really easy to lose any heat / the crowd.

It's been the opposite with Orton. Crowds have been getting hotter and hotter with him during match-ups. He's actually drawing genuine heel heat for the first time in his career and he's doing it not during the "Sports Entertainment" parts, but the matches themselves. 

You can't really blame Punk for that, as soon as he turned heel his title reign was going to end to the Rock. How can you build legitimate contenders if the booking is just stalling until the Royal Rumble? Ryback was the biggest victim, as having him go against Punk, with no reasonable chance of winning time and time again killed his momentum.

I don't blame Punk.

Once he became champion he was so hampered by accumulated injuries, he could only pull himself together to perform at the PPVs. Still like that now. Punk's had only one match since Summerslam, and it was against Axel to build up to his match at Night of Champions three weeks later. 

That said, if you stack up the free TV stuff Punk did as a heel, and compare the matches that Orton has been putting on over the last month, Orton clearly wins. I'm not saying Orton is the better wrestler. Far from it.

But working with Christian and Bryan has done wonders for Orton's match quality. He's now worth watching more than any other time in his career. 

I agree, he has gotten alot better. And if you would've asked me before this run, I would've told you Orton was garbage and his gimmick was lame and boring.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like they're placing the blame on him for not controlling Ric Flair at the WWE 2K14 event during Summerslam weekend.  Which this is a PR stunt making him look bad while WWE & 2K look like they had no control over it.

So I guess Vince has found another way for JR to join that certain club that he likes to do.

I agree, he has gotten alot better. And if you would've asked me before this run, I would've told you Orton was garbage and his gimmick was lame and boring.
I still don't like his gimmick, but his matches have been pretty strong as of late. For a while it just seemed like he didn't care and now it looks like he's having fun out there. He's been fun to watch.

Jim Ross has retired.
He should have retired as a commentator after leaving NWA/WCW. Those were his glory days. WWE/The McMahons always finds a way to ruin everything.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like they're placing the blame on him for not controlling Ric Flair at the WWE 2K14 event during Summerslam weekend. Which this is a PR stunt making him look bad while WWE & 2K look like they had no control over it.

So I guess Vince has found another way for JR to join that certain club that he likes to do.
I have never seen a company show such unjustifiable disrespect to an employee as I have with WWE—nor have I seen an employee bend over and take it in the ass so often as I have with Jim Ross. Maybe he doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds him, but it lessens my respect for him.

Didn't TNA fire Sorenson after he broke his neck for them?
That statement doesn't even come close to covering all of the aspects of that entire situation. Sensationalize much?

In regards to JR's situation, there seems to have been an extended series of events during his WWE tenure (or tenures) as opposed to just once. The details around JR's multiple situations also seem to be more public as opposed to Sorenson's.

Something WWE.com pointed out I hadn't noticed: All of the major titles are currently held by heels. DOn't remmber the last time that happened.
The only time I remember is 1993.

World Champion: Yokozuna

Intercontinental Champion: The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels.

Tag Team Champions: The Quebecers

I miss the days when you knew who had a title and what it was called. Does Dean Ambrose have the Intercontinental or US title? And if Dean has that title, who has the other one?

The only time I remember is 1993.

World Champion: Yokozuna
Intercontinental Champion: The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels.
Tag Team Champions: The Quebecers

I miss the days when you knew who had a title and what it was called. Does Dean Ambrose have the Intercontinental or US title? And if Dean has that title, who has the other one?
US - Dean Ambrose
Intercontinental - Curtis Axel

Has anyone played TEW2013? I finally took the plunge and dammit, I'm addicted to it....
I spent a lot of time with EWR, but, by the time it became TEW, it got way too detailed for my liking. I do have TEW 2010, tho. I remember it being fun but asked for way too much commitment when I didn't have the time to do so.

Didn't TNA fire Sorenson after he broke his neck for them?
As others have mentioned, the difference between Jesse Sorenson and Jim Ross is like night and day. Vince McMahon seems boastful about how poorly he can treat JR. He's done it for- Well dang- He's done it for nearly 16 years. Sorta wondering why JR didn't just walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back