The Office - Season 3 - Discussion [possible spoilers]

[quote name='AK85']I was hoping that I wasn't the only one that didn't know it was going to be a rerun[/quote]you were not alone; I was looking so forward to it too.
Anyone know when they're going to show new episodes again?

[quote name='AK85']I was hoping that I wasn't the only one that didn't know it was going to be a rerun[/quote]

haha, i love your sig
"anal fissures...that can't be real"

i knew it was a rerun from the nbc website, but my mom didn't. at 8:35 she she suddenly shouted "WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? IT"S PAST 8:30!!!" (in chinese). the humor on the office is so good that my chinese mom loves the show.

NBC RE-MAKES TWO-HOUR COMEDY BLOCK ON THURSDAYS WITH RETURN OF 'SCRUBS' AND MOVE OF '30 ROCK' TO JOIN 'MY NAME IS EARL' AND 'THE OFFICE' BEGINNING NOVEMBER 30
MOVE IS PRECEDED BY SPECIAL 'SUPER-SIZED' NIGHT OF COMEDY FEATURING 40-MINUTE EPISODES OF 'EARL,' 'THE OFFICE' AND '30 ROCK' ON NOVEMBER 16
Source
Scrubs and The Office back to back is going to be great, I just hope season 6 of Scrubs is better then season 5 was. Plus, it's nice to see another 40 minute episode of the Office. I hope we get several more this year.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Source
Scrubs and The Office back to back is going to be great, I just hope season 6 of Scrubs is better then season 5 was. Plus, it's nice to see another 40 minute episode of the Office. I hope we get several more this year.[/quote]

NBC finally showing some love to Scrubs...now they need another show instead of 30 rock on Thursday...its kind of funny that one of their longer running shows isnt even theirs

Saw it was a rerun. I actually thought of cranking up the old DVR anyway because it's such a great episode.

I don't know if you guys follow broadcasting news, but NBC just cut a large portion of their staff and will be making major changes to their scheduling strategy. Starting soon, they will program the 8-9 block pretty much exclusively with reality shows and game shows like "Deal or No Deal." Scripted comedies and drama will all be shifted to the 9-11 block. So if you have a viewing schedule all worked out (we go from Earl and "The Office" to "Gray's Anatomy" on ABC at 9, recording "Ugly Betty"), be prepared to change.

"This is the best meeting we have ever had!"

:lol:

"This is just like that show Taxicab Confessions."

And of course, the classic performance of "The Diwali Song."

Wasn't one of the best episodes, but certainly had its moments. The Pam/Jim thing is just getting frustrating.

Synopsis of next week's episode:
Scranton is getting closed??? If that actually goes through, I will be extremely worried about who leaves the show. It wouldn't make any sense for all of them to move to the other branch. But neither would they need to lose many people, since they only focus on four employees in the other place.

[quote name='Strell']That was the best line, bar none.[/quote]
FTW.
I also liked Michael pretending to be Kelly at the begining of the episode.

[quote name='Kaijufan']FTW.
I also liked Michael pretending to be Kelly at the begining of the episode.[/QUOTE]

"Duwali is like bla bla bla super awesome bla bla a lot of names I can't pronounce..."

I loved Phyllis's face when Tobey took away the Kama Sutra books. That was classic.

I love how one of the Ryan's future goals was to save up for an Xbox and Kelly's parents' reaction to that. I also like how they were pimping Indian doctor guy.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I love how one of the Ryan's future goals was to save up for an Xbox and Kelly's parents' reaction to that. I also like how they were pimping Indian doctor guy.[/QUOTE]

I hope you realize ryan intentionally said an Xbox to throw off her parents since they were basicaly shopping around for a new husband for their daughter and he wanted to avoid that. But then again, it's sometimes hard to tell these things over the internet, so I'll just assume both sides to this.

and again, Kevin owns all.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I hope you realize ryan intentionally said an Xbox to throw off her parents since they were basicaly shopping around for a new husband for their daughter and he wanted to avoid that.[/QUOTE]I must have missed the purposely-throwing-off-parents nuance, cuz I just thought what he said and how he said it was funny. Thanks for clarifying tho... I need to be more attentive apparently ;)

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I must have missed the purposely-throwing-off-parents nuance, cuz I just thought what he said and how he said it was funny. Thanks for clarifying tho... I need to be more attentive apparently ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Ryan has repeatedly expressed astonishment and dismay that he has somehow wound up with Kelly. So I don't think he's especially interested in marrying her, as evidenced by his deliberate attempts at sabotage last night. Also, later her parents ask him, "Isn't there anything you want to ask us?" and he plays dumb.

[quote name='Tybee']Yeah, Ryan has repeatedly expressed astonishment and dismay that he has somehow wound up with Kelly. So I don't think he's especially interested in marrying her, as evidenced by his deliberate attempts at sabotage last night. Also, later her parents ask him, "Isn't there anything you want to ask us?" and he plays dumb.[/QUOTE]I've always understood that he wasn't interested in marrying Kelly (or even dating her)... I just didn't notice the Xbox comment was explicitly a sabotage comment. I guess I thought his conversation with the parents was just talking (no intent to impress or sabotage, just neutral and boring and uncomfortable).

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I guess I thought his conversation with the parents was just talking (no intent to impress or sabotage, just neutral and boring and uncomfortable).[/quote]

I find that this show is rarely that way, it's one of those where you can really see peoples motives behind what they're doing. At least that's how it plays to me. :roll:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Kevin will never loose at best comments...[/QUOTE]
Creed would win if they gave him more screen time.

[quote name='radjago']Creed would win if they gave him more screen time.[/QUOTE]

I good quote off episode between the two would kick ass... kevin has the pervy stare while creed is mr. creepy.

[quote name='radjago']Creed would win if they gave him more screen time.[/quote]agreed. I loved the scene in the first episode of S3 where he described Andrea as the "office bitch." :lol:

I think line of the night was easily, in my opinion, "I always thought it would be because Michael sold the building for some magic beans..."

I love watching Dwight drink stuff .. he chugs everything. And the fact that it was an overly large bottle of Gatorade made it even better.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Well, it's going to be interesting with Jim 2nd in charge now.[/quote]
Dwight's going to be very angry that he's no longer the assistant (to the) regional manager.
I assume the only employees that will come with Jim is the girl and Andy. Having Ed on the show full time is going to rock.

Wow, I totally didn't see the plot twist coming in tonight's episode. I made a bet with my coworker before the season started that Jim would return before the season ended, and I thought I was gonna lose tonight... but I guess not! Two Magic packs for me :)

I'm looking forward to a larger cast at the Scranton; more people for Michael/Dwight to interact with = more awesome.

Best of all Kevin isn't going anywhere :bouncy:

but it should be interesting what happens when Jim and the others come to Scranton

"I took a lot of stationary before I left, and sometimes I fax messages to Dwight. From himself. In the future."
More isntructions will follow.

I loved all the moments. All of 'em.
>Even the one where Jan closed down the branch?

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Wow, I totally didn't see the plot twist coming in tonight's episode. I made a bet with my coworker before the season started that Jim would return before the season ended, and I thought I was gonna lose tonight... but I guess not! Two Magic packs for me :)

I'm looking forward to a larger cast at the Scranton; more people for Michael/Dwight to interact with = more awesome.[/quote]
Well, it's loosely following what happened in the BBC Office so if you watched that then unfortunately you would have seen this coming a mile away. It was still great though (and not exactly like the BBC version). At least the new girl is way hotter than Pam.

Last night's episode was fantastic again.

Kelly: "This is the best day of my life!"

This episode was very plot heavy (actually felt like a season finale and the first episode of a new season wrapped into one), which didn't leave a whole lot of time for jokes. Good stuff, though. I knew the offices were merging, but it was interesting to see how it will happen.

I actually think the best line was in the preview for next week.

Michael to Stamford chick: "Wow, you look very exotic. Was your dad a G.I.?"

[quote name='javeryh']
Well, it's loosely following what happened in the BBC Office so if you watched that then unfortunately you would have seen this coming a mile away. It was still great though (and not exactly like the BBC version). At least the new girl is way hotter than Pam.
[/QUOTE]
I only saw the first season of the UK version. My friend, who has seen the UK version, actually told me the offices would merge, but he wasn't specific how they merged. He also told me (he's such a spoiler, isn't he?) that the boss in the UK version was fired or something, so I had assumed the merge was the other way. Of course, I was told all this several episodes into the current season... otherwise, I wouldn't have made my bet with my coworker with my false assumption. Sometimes, it's good to be wrong, I guess :)

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']
I only saw the first season of the UK version. My friend, who has seen the UK version, actually told me the offices would merge, but he wasn't specific how they merged. He also told me (he's such a spoiler, isn't he?) that the boss in the UK version was fired or something, so I had assumed the merge was the other way. Of course, I was told all this several episodes into the current season... otherwise, I wouldn't have made my bet with my coworker with my false assumption. Sometimes, it's good to be wrong, I guess :)
[/quote]
In the UK version David (Michael) is going to get promoted, which would cause his branch to shut down. However he fails his medical exam and the other manager (Neil) is promoted, and his branch shuts down so David's branch gets some of Neil's employees. Eventually at the end of the second season David gets fired for being redundant and Gareth (Dwight) gets his job after Tim (Jim) decides not to take it.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the show after this season concludes, because obviously the British version ended after the second season and the American version won't have it to use as a map anymore. Across the pond, Ricky Gervais and co. ended it because they wanted to do other things and felt narratively the show had more or less run its course. Here, the show is one of NBC's few confirmed hits, and I doubt they'd give it up without a fight.

Meanwhile, Steve Carrell has become a big box office draw and a bonafide movie star (just saw the trailer for "Evan Almighty" last night, which looks a Hell of a lot funnier than "Bruce Almighty," largely because Carrell is funnier than Jim Carrey), so it's conceivable that he'll stop doing TV work soon. There are certainly ways they could continue the show without him, but it's doubtful it would be as good. Wouldn't want to see them limp along the way "Northern Exposure" did after Rob Morrow left (whoops).

I like it when a show ends before its eventual decline. 'Course I'd love the Office to continue to run forever if it remained as funny and sharp as it is, but I know that can't last.

I think (I might get this wrong) Berke Breathed - of Bloom County comic strip fame, featuring Opus the Penguin - said, at the conclusion of said comic that "I had taken the characters as far as I could." What a terribly sad thing to say.

I can see the Office doing that. Micheal might get a higher position, Jim and Pam might get together, Phylis gets married, Ryan goes off to another job and leaves Kelly broken hearted (or she follows him), Stanley retires, and Dwight....ends up in jail or something, I have no clue.

Reminds me - I have an idea for an episode. I really need to start writing it. Maybe they could use a "no UK roadmap" one. :)

[quote name='Tybee']It will be interesting to see what they do with the show after this season concludes, because obviously the British version ended after the second season and the American version won't have it to use as a map anymore. Across the pond, Ricky Gervais and co. ended it because they wanted to do other things and felt narratively the show had more or less run its course. Here, the show is one of NBC's few confirmed hits, and I doubt they'd give it up without a fight.

Meanwhile, Steve Carrell has become a big box office draw and a bonafide movie star (just saw the trailer for "Evan Almighty" last night, which looks a Hell of a lot funnier than "Bruce Almighty," largely because Carrell is funnier than Jim Carrey), so it's conceivable that he'll stop doing TV work soon. There are certainly ways they could continue the show without him, but it's doubtful it would be as good. Wouldn't want to see them limp along the way "Northern Exposure" did after Rob Morrow left (whoops).[/QUOTE]

I could see NBC or whoever throwing Carrell alot of money to get him to stay on The Office. Besides, Steve Carrell already had a decent movie career before The Office (and during) so I don't think he'll give it up anytime soon. He can just do movies on the off season when they aren't shooting new episodes... Steve Carrell seems to not do alot of movies to begin with (but the ones he's been in are fantastic).

I think even without the UK show for a roadmap The Office will do just fine. Some of the best episodes, at least for me, where ones were there really wasn't an underlying plot at all, just the office workers being themselves.

quote of the day was from Andy, the new employee Dwight hates: "I'm one step ahead of everyone.... like a carpenter... who builds stairs..."

also was a great episode, but it's weird for me to see the Washington Mutual guy part of the staff... proof:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56ejScoJzI[/media]

[quote name='javeryh']Best episode of the season so far. God that "Lazy Scranton" video was hilarious.[/QUOTE]
I hope they post it on YouTube soon.

The best quotes came from the exchange between Andy and Dwight in the elevator. Great stuff.

I'm watching 30 Rock now and it's not bad, besides Tracy Morgan playing Halo 2 on a 360 with an unsynced wireless controller and the blatant product placement. At least in the Office, it fits with the set and the story.

And that Washington Mutaul ad is so racist. Who says all bankers are old white guys?

bread's done
Back