The Official Android thread.

I wonder if I should take off a number of apps that seem to be slowing down my charge before I do the update? Anyone know how to mass delete the apps without going thru confirmation screens?

Can anyone recommend me an unlocked Android for Tmobile? I won't be getting a dataplan, so it has to be able to function on wifi (apps, app store, etc). I have about $200 and am currently looking at the Droid X2 so if anyone has a better suggestion let me know! :)

EDIT : I'm also looking at an unlocked Nexus S now. My main concern is tmobile requiring me to have a data plan if I just take my sim and stick it in the Nexus S without telling them.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey Charge owners...

Does anyone get this weird audio alarm sound when your droid is rebooted and it won't stop during it's boot cycle? I don't know what's causing this...

Also noticed that I am getting weird audio drop outs on when talking to people, it's like they can't hear me at all. It's not the case (otterbox)..and have confirmed it with my gf calling me (also on the charge) and she can't hear me at all...until I reboot.

So I've been playing around with the GB for the charge for the last day or so. The phone is much more responsive than before. There is like no delays between screens, games don't act sluggish like they use to be, dialing phone calls are much faster than waiting a few seconds for it to dial, that annoying alarm sound when it was booting is gone and so on. Skype finally works with the front facing camera but still can't get charge to charge video skype calling :( only charge to PC and back.

Right now I am very happy with the phone with GB on it. GPS still seems kinda wonky though.

RIP Motorola DROID 2009-2011

Phone died on me today while at Best Buy, so I went and bought an Ice Cream Sandwich :)

[quote name='Sinistar']RIP Motorola DROID 2009-2011

Phone died on me today while at Best Buy, so I went and bought an Ice Cream Sandwich :)[/QUOTE]

Seems like a lot of peoples phones are magically non-usable now that the nexus is out. Weird! /sarcasm

[quote name='blitz6speed']Seems like a lot of peoples phones are magically non-usable now that the nexus is out. Weird! /sarcasm[/QUOTE]

lol no it really did die. CM7 wouldn't boot up anymore after the phone froze so I didnt mess with it anymore until this morning.. Finally got it working after booting into recovery mode a few times.

I'm surprised there isn't more chatter here about the Galaxy Nexus, unless I missed something. Been away from the forums for a while.

I hope to get the phone soon myself. I have an OG Droid and it's awful. So it's either the GN or the iPhone 4S.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I'm surprised there isn't more chatter here about the Galaxy Nexus, unless I missed something. Been away from the forums for a while.

I hope to get the phone soon myself. I have an OG Droid and it's awful. So it's either the GN or the iPhone 4S.[/QUOTE]

a lot of people i know personally got burned out on the nexus due to the insane amount of delays. Most lost interest and are now willing to wait for the next big phone. I dont blame them, verizon did everything possible to screw up the nexus launch, they're real good at it now.

[quote name='blitz6speed']a lot of people i know personally got burned out on the nexus due to the insane amount of delays. Most lost interest and are now willing to wait for the next big phone. I dont blame them, verizon did everything possible to screw up the nexus launch, they're real good at it now.[/QUOTE]

Yah I hear that. This launch has been abysmal. However I don't think I'd be disappointed in the Nexus, enough to wait for the next big thing. It'll be outdone soon but it doesn't make it a bad device, and I decided that if I am sticking with Android, I'm only getting Nexus devices. I don't want skins, I don't want to have to root, and I do want updates. I am excited for the phone. I think the only thing a newer phone might do better is the camera, but I think that's been blown out of proportion. I've heard the camera on the GN is about iPhone 4 quality, which if I'm not mistaken is still damn good.

Well I would be talking more about the nexus if I were eligible for an upgrade. I guess waiting until February might have a decent sale on it by then.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Yah I hear that. This launch has been abysmal. However I don't think I'd be disappointed in the Nexus, enough to wait for the next big thing. It'll be outdone soon but it doesn't make it a bad device, and I decided that if I am sticking with Android, I'm only getting Nexus devices. I don't want skins, I don't want to have to root, and I do want updates. I am excited for the phone. I think the only thing a newer phone might do better is the camera, but I think that's been blown out of proportion. I've heard the camera on the GN is about iPhone 4 quality, which if I'm not mistaken is still damn good.[/QUOTE]

The camera and lack of microsd are the major weak points. Otherwise its got really everything else.

fucking hell, the 2.3.5 Gingerbread update for my Motorola Droid X2 messed everything up. Visually, I like it, but it really messed with my contacts. A lot of names disappeared, but it kept all the numbers. I can no longer add numbers to Facebook/Twitter contacts and joining contacts works 50/50. I'm getting invalid server certificate notifications for my email left and right, when it worked flawlessly before.

This is annoying the hell out of me.

[quote name='blitz6speed']The camera and lack of microsd are the major weak points. Otherwise its got really everything else.[/QUOTE]

I personally don't see the need for an SD card. My OG Droid has a 16gb one, and I've never swapped it out. My 32gb transformer has a slot for one, but I've never needed it. It would be a nice addition but I don't see it as a missing feature.

However there is also the battery on the LTE VZW model. I don't have LTE in my town AFAIK, but it's still disappointing for whenever I do get to use it.

o_O I fucking beg to differ on the micro SD card... I use up all of my 32 gb space all the time. Also, it's not like the Nexus will be the only phone to have ICS. I feel as sorry for Nexus suckers as much as CrApple suckers but I'll still laugh.

I use my phones camera a lot. And if something were to happen to the phone, i can at least get my pics off of the microsd and not lose anything. Internal storage would mean i'd likely be ass'd out.

Yep, you both make arguments as to why you need an SD card - I personally do not need it. I don't want to mess with it - I haven't ever had a real need for it and don't see a future where I will. All of my music is in the cloud and that is the only real reason I ever saw value in it.

If something happens to my phone, all of my pics will be pushed to G+ when they are taken, and I am not that concerend about this situation to make me hold off for a different phone. I think the GN looks like damn good phone (I played with it a bit in a VZW store today), and the SD card is not an issue for some people, myself included.

VipFREAK - I am glad you will find value in some future product that has an sdcard, unlike the abomination that is the GN. However I have used up about 7 GB of my Transformers space with apps, which I have around 250 installed right now. Maybe my usage will skyrocket with picture taking, but I am not that concerned. But congrats on not being a sucker, glad you will get a good laugh at my expense when I buy the phone that suits my needs and not yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
So anyone else here get e GNex?

It is a huge improvement over my OG DROID, and the size takes a bit of getting used to, some people think it's too big lol http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397742,00.asp

Games that I've played so far run great (I'm addicted to Where's My Water) and in general the OS is great. And I dont have an issue right now with the no SD card. I hardly have anything installed on the phone. Most of my music and photos are on the cloud.

Couple of things I don't like and I can't figure out how to change.. not sure if its specific to the phone or ICS features.

1) A lot of the "confirm" dialog boxes that I've seen so far have OK or cancel as options normal. At least on the DROID it was OK on left and Cancel on the right. But now ill have Cancel on left, and OK on the right, kind of annoying

2) Settings > Display- I have auto rotate screen checked, but on the main desktop I can't view in landscape mode, but I know it works like in youtube watching videos you can turn the device landscape or portrait and it works appropriately.. I guess I can download ADW or GO Launcher and see if it's just the desktop that can't be viewed in Landscape mode.

3) When in my car using bluetooth mode and it's connected but not being used, then if I switch the car radio setting to bluetooth audio, the phone will automatically launch the audio player. How do you turn that crap off? I rarely listen to music on my phone via BT. So I have to turn it off because it interferes with the nav. If I do its with a headset at work. I mostly use the audio in my car for navigation via google or waze.

[quote name='Sinistar']So anyone else here get e GNex?
Couple of things I don't like and I can't figure out how to change.. not sure if its specific to the phone or ICS features.
[/quote]

I don't have GN yet (still with my OG Droid), but I think I can answer some of this anyway:

2) Settings > Display- I have auto rotate screen checked, but on the main desktop I can't view in landscape mode, but I know it works like in youtube watching videos you can turn the device landscape or portrait and it works appropriately.. I guess I can download ADW or GO Launcher and see if it's just the desktop that can't be viewed in Landscape mode.

I believe this is the normal way it works for every version of Android, launchers and stuff just make it work differently. Source here.

3) When in my car using bluetooth mode and it's connected but not being used, then if I switch the car radio setting to bluetooth audio, the phone will automatically launch the audio player. How do you turn that crap off? I rarely listen to music on my phone via BT. So I have to turn it off because it interferes with the nav. If I do its with a headset at work. I mostly use the audio in my car for navigation via google or waze.

This is a problem I have had in my car with my OG Droid sometimes, when I am connecting with an aux cable. There is actually no fix for this issue that I can find (it does have a bug report) and I am really disappointed. There are a few apps that disable this though - headset blocker seems to be very popular. A few other things you can try are to see if your car has a way to turn off autoplay in it's settings (some users with Ford Sync reported this to work), or block playing through BT entirely:
With Bluetooth Turned on
1. Press Menu
2. Press Settings
3. Press Wireless & Networks
4. Press Bluetooth Settings
5. Press/Hold your finger over the bluetooth device that's causing the issue for a couple of seconds - the car connection
6. Press Options in the pop-up menu
7. De-select the Media checkbox.

Here are the threads I skimmed for this info, but I don't believe anyone had a better answer than the app.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-her...-music-player-wont-stop-starting-its-own.html

http://androidforums.com/droid-supp...orola-droid-music-player-starts-its-self.html

http://androidforums.com/droid-support-troubleshooting/131439-bluetooth-autoplay-car.html

HTH!

[quote name='Sinistar']
1) A lot of the "confirm" dialog boxes that I've seen so far have OK or cancel as options normal. At least on the DROID it was OK on left and Cancel on the right. But now ill have Cancel on left, and OK on the right, kind of annoying
[/QUOTE]

My guess is complete speculation but I believe OK is on the right due to the larger screen and greater number of people being right handed. Thus making OK easier accessible to the user. Could be complete crap but that's what makes the most sense to me.

[quote name='david12795']just got my first android ;)

havent used it exactly. its still in the box from cyber monday.[/QUOTE]

and which android would that be?

[quote name='VipFREAK']o_O I fucking beg to differ on the micro SD card... I use up all of my 32 gb space all the time. Also, it's not like the Nexus will be the only phone to have ICS. I feel as sorry for Nexus suckers as much as CrApple suckers but I'll still laugh.[/QUOTE]
The Nexus phones get updated sooner, and for longer than any other Android device. They will always get updates before any other phone. Hell, the Nexus S (the previous Nexus phone) is already getting ICS, what does that tell you? And, because it's so developer friendly (it is the google dev device after all) it's guaranteed that custom firmware like Cyanogenmod will be available for it. So yeah, laugh at the suckers.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I don't have GN yet (still with my OG Droid), but I think I can answer some of this anyway:

I believe this is the normal way it works for every version of Android, launchers and stuff just make it work differently. Source here.

This is a problem I have had in my car with my OG Droid sometimes, when I am connecting with an aux cable. There is actually no fix for this issue that I can find (it does have a bug report) and I am really disappointed. There are a few apps that disable this though - headset blocker seems to be very popular. A few other things you can try are to see if your car has a way to turn off autoplay in it's settings (some users with Ford Sync reported this to work), or block playing through BT entirely:

Here are the threads I skimmed for this info, but I don't believe anyone had a better answer than the app.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-her...-music-player-wont-stop-starting-its-own.html

http://androidforums.com/droid-supp...orola-droid-music-player-starts-its-self.html

http://androidforums.com/droid-support-troubleshooting/131439-bluetooth-autoplay-car.html

HTH![/QUOTE]

that's a lot of reading. :p

Yeah it's annoying the default android desktop launcher doesn't do landscape at all.

I didn't try the headset blocker app, but I did try the thing on disabling Bluetooth media on OG DROID, and that disabled all the media so i could not listen to musics or use navigation. I'll have to mess with it in ICS, I think the settings are different as there's no long press anymore on that screen where the bluetooth device is.

I bought my first android phone..... Samsung galaxy y and have started loving android platform. Now I'm planning to upgrade to a higher end android phone shortly :)

[quote name='ifeellucky']I bought my first android phone..... Samsung galaxy y and have started loving android platform. Now I'm planning to upgrade to a higher end android phone shortly :)[/QUOTE]

if you JUST bought it - as in within a few days - you may still be within the 7 day (or is it 14...) remorse period so you can return it at zero cost and upgrade to something more powerful.

[quote name='BattleChicken']if you JUST bought it - as in within a few days - you may still be within the 7 day (or is it 14...) remorse period so you can return it at zero cost and upgrade to something more powerful.[/QUOTE]

..... thank you bro for your tip..........that would be a great idea :applause:

I cannot stand my phone ever since the newest update. It's absolutely pathetic. They changed just about everything without my consent. My email no longer works, I can no longer save or delete pictures, social networking apps load slowly, and it's constantly telling me I have no more available space despite having 6GBs of free space left.

On top of all that, it's constantly deleting my contacts to the point where I have to redo my favorites every few days.

I recently got a new Droid Bionic -- I'm noticing that I'm occasionally losing my data connection entirely. It's weird -- I normally have 4G, but sometimes it drops down to 3G, and other times there's no data connection at all, all in the same location! Anyone else noticing a problem like this? I very rarely lost connection with my original Droid, but now in two weeks on my Bionic, I've lost it 3 times. I had to reboot today to get the data back, and even now it's only 3G.

[quote name='PR Mega X']I recently got a new Droid Bionic -- I'm noticing that I'm occasionally losing my data connection entirely. It's weird -- I normally have 4G, but sometimes it drops down to 3G, and other times there's no data connection at all, all in the same location! Anyone else noticing a problem like this? I very rarely lost connection with my original Droid, but now in two weeks on my Bionic, I've lost it 3 times. I had to reboot today to get the data back, and even now it's only 3G.[/QUOTE]

Verizon has been having sporadic issues lately.

Anyone get Where's My Water on Amazon today for free? I picked it up on the $0.10 sale a while back and it's lots of fun, challenging puzzle game.

Yeah, I like it. It's a bit of that Cut The Rope feel.

In other news... I suppose there's no easy non-root way to change my MAC Address eh... ?

I got a Sony Tablet S for Christmas and I am loving this thing so far. It can play games with a ps3 controller wirelessly and Sony is saying they will update it to the ICS sometime.

Touchpad on android is amazing. PS3 controller with pretty much my entire game collection pre N64/PS1, Onlive, ESPN, NBA League Pass, some movies and some books.. Probably the best piece of tech $100 can buy. Still finding cool new apps and features every day.

anyone know of a good blue tooth app for the Droid Charge that works with the Wii-mote? Even with the GB update, it still doesn't work with it :(

Anyone know how to repair Wi-Fi on android?

Mine won't connect anymore. When I enable it it just keeps trying to connect (shows Connecting...)

I know Wi-Fi works as my other devices are connected to my router and it won't even find any routers at all.

bread's done
Back