The Official Criterion Deals and Discussion Thread

Atta girl, Barnes & Noble. Now I can finally get Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

There is a coupon from Wheel of Fortune for 15% online orders. That did not work for me. But, instore coupon for 10% off. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=35964

I'm definitely going to try that. 17.99 Criterions!

EDIT: If you wanna order online, use this link. 10% off. http://www.bn.com/library
Free shipping at 25 dollars, as usual.

I picked up Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and Paths of Glory. Anything else I should snag? I was thinking about Antichrist, but Rotten Tomatoes shows it at 44%. Any opinions on that?

Last edited by a moderator:
NICE. Thank you, OP.

By the way, the film Pierrot le fou (comes in Blu or DVD) is now (as of a few months ago) out of print, so if you are in for a fairly hardcore collector's item, snag it. Same with The Man Who Fell to Earth, but I think that film went out of print a while ago so it might be a bit harder to find.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I picked up Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and Paths of Glory. Anything else I should snag? I was thinking about Antichrist, but Rotten Tomatoes shows it at 44%. Any opinions on that?[/QUOTE]

I'll be picking up Antichrist pretty blindly (I'm a fan of von Trier). Gonna pick up a few Wes Anderson movies that I don't already have (Darjeeling and Bottle Rocket on Blu). In the Realm of the Senses was crazy erotic and weird, and you can't go wrong with anything by Jean-Luc Godard (especially Breathless, that film was so supremely fun).

Thanks for the Library link. I ordered The Thin Red Line and Seven Samurai, final total of about $43 shipped for the blu-ray versions.

Now I just need to find a buyer for my Seven Samurai DVDs. :)

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Atta girl, Barnes & Noble. Now I can finally get Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

There is a coupon from Wheel of Fortune for 15% online orders. That did not work for me. But, instore coupon for 10% off. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=35964

EDIT: If you wanna order online, use this link. 10% off. http://www.bn.com/library

I picked up Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and Paths of Glory. Anything else I should snag? I was thinking about Antichrist, but Rotten Tomatoes shows it at 44%. Any opinions on that?[/QUOTE]

Antichrist is pretty over the top, but I thought it was enjoyable. I'm sure if you're deciding to watch it or not, you know it's pretty out there, and I think it's hit or miss.

As for the sale, pfft. Broke as usual, so I'll just be able to watch all the great DVDs people are going to pick up :cry:

Holy crap, I didn't expect this to start for another two weeks, based on what they've done in past years. Good thing that I decided to skip some other spending that I had been considering.

Also, dammit, that means it's going to just miss the release date (Nov. 23rd) on the America Lost and Found: The BBS Story set. Although maybe that's a good thing, I'm already going to be spending way too much on this sale.

[quote name='Vulgarism']Antichrist is pretty over the top, but I thought it was enjoyable. I'm sure if you're deciding to watch it or not, you know it's pretty out there, and I think it's hit or miss.[/QUOTE]

If you're on the fence about it, it's on Netflix instant watch. It's a very well done movie, but it's very difficult to watch, which is where I think the negative reviews came from. I'm normally pretty immune to violence and gore in films, but this one was a little much even for me.

[quote name='arcane93']Also, dammit, that means it's going to just miss the release date (Nov. 23rd) on the America Lost and Found: The BBS Story set. Although maybe that's a good thing, I'm already going to be spending way too much on this sale.[/QUOTE]

This seems to be the biggest 'Oh bummer!' factor about the sale this year, but yes, Antichrist, Night of the Hunter, and Modern Times will all be included in the sale. They're available now at the reduced price, actually.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Aww, Pierrot le fou isn't on the Website for blu.[/QUOTE]

It's out-of-print already, has been since March. Your best bet is to find a b&m store that still has it in stock, though chances are most of them got cleared out during the July sale.

[quote name='chimpster1313']This seems to be the biggest 'Oh bummer!' factor about the sale this year, but yes, Antichrist, Night of the Hunter, and Modern Times will all be included in the sale. They're available now at the reduced price, actually.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually even more bummed that Cronos won't be out in time for this sale, but at least it's not coming out immediately after the sale is over.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']Don't forget 8% cashback on Ebates.[/QUOTE]
Damn, I forgot.

EDIT: Is it impossible to get both the 8% and the 10% off from the Barnes' link?

[quote name='arcane93']It's out-of-print already, has been since March. Your best bet is to find a b&m store that still has it in stock, though chances are most of them got cleared out during the July sale.

I'm actually even more bummed that Cronos won't be out in time for this sale, but at least it's not coming out immediately after the sale is over.[/QUOTE]

yeah, Cronos is my big disappointment this year :(, I lOVE del Toro's stuff. well, it'll wait till the next sale

[quote name='wormraper']yeah, Cronos is my big disappointment this year :(, I lOVE del Toro's stuff. well, it'll wait till the next sale[/QUOTE]

It's generally possible to score most of the Criterion blus for around $24-26 with other sales on various sites. For Cronos I might just bight the bullet and pay a little more to get it when it becomes available rather than waiting.

I've never gotten Criterion Collection stuff. I'm probably going to pick up the Seven Samurai as I hear it is excellent. I'm a huge fan of the space race/moon landing stuff.
Is "For All Mankind" a good documentary?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I was thinking about Antichrist, but Rotten Tomatoes shows it at 44%. Any opinions on that?[/QUOTE]

pretty polarizing movie, but as someone who loved it, i felt it had a really hypnotic quality about it. the cinematography is amazing and the acting - wow. definitely not for the faint of heart. they throw that phrase around a lot, but it couldn't be more true for this movie.

[quote name='SDC']I'm a huge fan of the space race/moon landing stuff.
Is "For All Mankind" a good documentary?[/QUOTE]

I did a blind buy on this and was thoroughly impressed. It looks great in high def, and it's actually quite fascinating, too. Some of the footage you've seen before just on random things, but there's lot of great things you've likely never seen before, either. I would highly recommend this, and I haven't even gotten to the features yet.

[quote name='Sixtywatz']5 Off Coupon

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/email/2010/08/BNMembers/100831_ME1_DVDs.gif

Your Barnes and Noble will ring separate transactions and do this coupon over and over again for members. I've saved over $500 dollars this way from the sale earlier this year. Don't leave home with out 20 copies.

In MA 7% sales tax:

13.81 for 39.99 titles
9.XX for 29.99 titles

Got Royal Tannenbaums (lost my copy) for 4.95 lol![/QUOTE]

B&N taking multiple copies of that coupon is definitely YMMV. Some people are really successful with it, but other stores won't even take it because they say the member discount brings the Blu to $18 (for most Criterion titles), so they won't accept the coupon. And then some stores will only let you use it once since the coupon states "may only be redeemed once per Member." If your local store does this for you though, great!

Anyway, just picked up Seven Samurai in store for $18.xx! For anyone wondering about the two-month trial membership, you can totally use the coupons with it. I just signed up for it a few days ago, and I used a coupon for SS with no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bthoma']B&N taking multiple copies of that coupon is definitely YMMV. Some people are really successful with it, but other stores won't even take it because they say the member discount brings the Blu to $18 (for most Criterion titles), so they won't accept the coupon. And then some stores will only let you use it once since the coupon states "may only be redeemed once per Member." If your local store does this for you though, great!

Anyway, just picked up Seven Samurai in store for $18.xx! For anyone wondering about the two-month trial membership, you can totally use the coupons with it. I just signed up for it a few days ago, and I used a coupon for SS with no problem.[/QUOTE]

the manager of my B&N Video/Music department is really cool. He told me about the sale a week in advance and let me use 6 $5 off coupons in one transaction. Said that these coupons get used all the time for the Criterion sale. didn't even blink and was a Criterion buff himself

[quote name='SDC']I've never gotten Criterion Collection stuff. I'm probably going to pick up the Seven Samurai as I hear it is excellent. I'm a huge fan of the space race/moon landing stuff.

For All Mankind is great, plus it has a really interesting special feature about how NASA stores all of it's film.

[quote name='SDC']I've never gotten Criterion Collection stuff. I'm probably going to pick up the Seven Samurai as I hear it is excellent. I'm a huge fan of the space race/moon landing stuff.

I was pretty much the same as you, I love space race/moon landing stuff too and I blind bought "For All Mankind." If I had to pick my top 10 favorite dvd/hd-dvd's/bluray's from my collection, it would easily be in it. Fantastic documentary and the clarity of some of the images are absolutely breath taking.

I may be biased but having a criterion collection and not having "For All Mankind" is a shame.

[quote name='ryosnk']Ok is House worth getting? Never saw but I read good reviews.[/QUOTE]

House is a blast, particularly with friends.

Ok, I caved and ordered:
Yojimbo/Sanjuro BD
Seven Samurai BD
For All Mankind BD
$76.29, so $19 per movie. I have to admit I'm sort of excited to see a Criterion release, I hear they are outstanding.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Atta girl, Barnes & Noble. Now I can finally get Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

I picked up Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and Paths of Glory. Anything else I should snag? I was thinking about Antichrist, but Rotten Tomatoes shows it at 44%. Any opinions on that?[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen anitichrist yet, but Night of the Hunter is a must buy.

[quote name='ryosnk']Ok is House worth getting? Never saw but I read good reviews.[/QUOTE]

I love House to death. I bought it last Tuesday (when it came out), and would have even if I knew this sale was coming. Hooouuuuuuse...

I ordered Night of the Hunter and Crazed Fruit this morning. I might also get the blu-rays of In the Realm of the Senses and Antichrist before the sale is up; I haven't made up my mind yet (and yes, I've seen both). I also want Red Beard and Throne of Blood, but they seem like likely candidates for near-future blu-ray releases.

Bit on House & Seven Samurai Blu Ray! Gotta love these deals and since Ive been eyeing House for a while now. Thanks OP!!!! :)

I bought Charade and Paths of Glory both films I love. I bought House on tuesday when it came out (I couldn't wait, I've seen it five times now I even saw a theater screening of it last year).

I'm thinking about picking up Antichrist (already seen in theaters and thought it was fantastic but I don't know about it's replay value), or Seven Samurai, or the Sanjuro/Yojimbo two pack.

Weird. I tried to reserve House for store pickup today, but when I clicked the reserve link, the window that came up said that new information from the store said that it was no longer in stock and it wouldn't let me reserve it. After trying for three different stores and getting the same thing each time, I finally gave up and just ordered it through the website. Went to the closest of the stores then this evening, and they had four copies. Huh.

While I was at the store, I grabbed Seven Samurai, Paths of Glory, and The Magician. Seven Samurai was a no-brainer, and I haven't seen the other two but Kubrick and Bergman are two of my favorite directors so I figured that I couldn't go wrong.

my local BB is a Bitch (Independence Center, MO) I end up get Samurai 7 for bluray for $18.XX when i go home noticed it didn't have Blu Ray Sticker on the front but the sticker price is Bluray version. I peel off the sticker & it went off so i put it back on & returned it. I try my luck tomorrow with new cashier ;)

[quote name='arcane93']Weird. I tried to reserve House for store pickup today, but when I clicked the reserve link, the window that came up said that new information from the store said that it was no longer in stock and it wouldn't let me reserve it. After trying for three different stores and getting the same thing each time, I finally gave up and just ordered it through the website. Went to the closest of the stores then this evening, and they had four copies. Huh.[/QUOTE]

This has been a common problem for a couple days now. The nearest B&N where I reserved all my stuff at that I'm picking up tonight said that it wasn't in stock, but I still put in my name and address anyways, and I got a call from them literally 10 minutes later saying that of my 10 requests, they could hold 9 of them, and the only reason they couldn't hold the other is because it was being held for someone else. Of course, that copy was of The Thin Red Line, which is what I want most, but still, the point is just enter your info anyways if you can click on the 'Pick Up' option.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']I'm thinking about picking up Antichrist (already seen in theaters and thought it was fantastic but I don't know about it's replay value), or Seven Samurai, or the Sanjuro/Yojimbo two pack.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for Yojimbo, but Sanjuro was absolutely fantastic, and I highly recommend it. So you might as well get the 2 pack, because I can't imagine that Yojimbo is a flaming turd of a movie. In fact, I'm willing to bet it's awesome.

[quote name='chimpster1313']

I can't speak for Yojimbo, but Sanjuro was absolutely fantastic, and I highly recommend it. So you might as well get the 2 pack, because I can't imagine that Yojimbo is a flaming turd of a movie. In fact, I'm willing to bet it's awesome.[/QUOTE]

And I've only seen Yojimbo and I thought it was great. I'm only hesitating because I don't really need to be spending the money.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']And I've only seen Yojimbo and I thought it was great. I'm only hesitating because I don't really need to be spending the money.[/QUOTE]

IMO Yojimbo is the better of the two. If you had to own one I would go with Yojimbo.

[quote name='Masterkyo']my local BB is a Bitch (Independence Center, MO) I end up get Samurai 7 for bluray for $18.XX when i go home noticed it didn't have Blu Ray Sticker on the front but the sticker price is Bluray version. I peel off the sticker & it went off so i put it back on & returned it. I try my luck tomorrow with new cashier ;)[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Are you referring to PMing at the BB next to B&N by Independence Center? Are you referring to Seven Samurai, or the anime Samurai 7? What is this 'sticker' business?

[quote name='gothamcentral79']And I've only seen Yojimbo and I thought it was great. I'm only hesitating because I don't really need to be spending the money.[/QUOTE]

Both movies are equally great I find. I've watched them both at least 5 or 6 times now. Sanjuro has a bit more depth I find, but Yojimbo has more memorable characters. The two-pack is worth picking up. I currently own the DVD two-pack and I think it looks unbelievable (I also own the older DVD releases too). I'll eventually get the Blu I suppose, but I'm pretty content already.

I wonder if Hidden Fortress will ever get released on Blu-ray. That's another one of my favs.

[quote name='joeyatog']So are you guys having success stacking BN Membership w/ the $5 coupon?[/QUOTE]

of course, done it 7 times so far

[quote name='joeyatog']LOL NICE! what are you getting the BR's for approx?[/QUOTE]

the $20 ones i get at $13+tax
the $25 ones I get at $17.50+tax

bread's done
Back